Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hunter x Hunter started as a manga back in 1998. It's a shounen fighting story with enough creative ideas to hide that fact most of the time. In the first anime adaptation from 1999 it's probably 30 or 40 episodes in before we're even introduced to this series' flavor of 'chakra' or 'power levels' and even then it's done in an original way. The first part of the story will revolve around the characters' quest to take and pass the Hunter Exam, an annual test for the best and brightest in the world to become a Hunter. Hunters are elite mercenaries whose skill and training make them desirable as soldiers and bounty hunters, services for which they are well compensated.

The '99 anime ran for 62 episodes, with a trio of OVAs following tacking on another 30 or so episodes. The last one ends on a fairly terrible cliffhanger so I've always wondered when we'd get to see more of the story animated. Seems they've decided on a complete reboot, with Madhouse beginning the story anew. edit: though apparently there's only 36 episodes confirmed so far...

Characters:

• The kid in the green is Gon, our 12 year old protagonist. Growing up around nature, he is very agile

and fast

and a formidable fighter with his Hunter-quality fishing pole.

He can throw the hook around like a grappling line and use the weight at the end like a manrikigusari.

But his strongest power is that of making friends with everyone he meets :3:

• His best friend is the kid with white hair, Killua. A mysterious kid who doesn't talk about himself very much, his physical abilities surpass even Gon's and his past contains a terrible secret.

• The blonde individual on the left is Kurapica, the last surviving member of his tribe. His stated goal is to become a Hunter and track down those responsible for his tribe's annihilation. Preferring to use non-lethal means whenever necessary, he fights with a pair of wooden swords joined together by a rope, acting like a pair of over sized nunchaku.

Kurapica is the brain of the group, very knowledgeable and an excellent strategist. Leorio is booksmart but usually a bit slow on the uptake, and Gon is ignorant and trusting to a fault; Kurapica is the one who will beat your rear end in a chess game.

• Tall dude in the back is Leorio. He's a more action-oriented Chopper in that he's a doctor, but also possesses significant physical strength, even though he's not particularly adept at combat compared to the others.

• Hisoka is the closest thing the series has to a main antagonist for a good long while. Most people compare him to The Joker or Kefka from FF6. He's a magician not a clown, but I can see where the comparison comes from. The analogy's not perfect; while Joker and Kefka are both quite insane, Hisoka doesn't have the level of chaotic nihilism going on that the others possess. He does have clear goals and motivations, though we don't learn of them for a long time, that go beyond 'watching the world burn.' On the 'murdering people for fun' front however all 3 can agree. Also pedo.

• Experienced Nen teacher and kung fu master: Biscuit Krueger. She joins up with the boys in the virtual reality game Greed Island and trains them in the ways of Nen, this series' chakra/yoki/spirit power etc.

Hunter x Hunter is one of the only anime adaptations that I actually liked more than the original manga in terms of story and pacing. Most significantly the anime hides some things about Killua for a bit longer than in the manga, saving it up for what I feel is a more satisfying reveal. What few filler segments were present in the show fit in seamlessly with the plot and I didn't even realize they were filler until I read about it later. So overall just a really well done anime adaptation.

The episodes are out on Crunchy Roll, the animation looked quite nice and even if they're completely faithful to the manga this should be a really great show to watch for the next few years months. It seems like the animation studio is only committed for about 36 episodes at this time. Even at the rate they're flying through the original story that still wouldn't cover even the first anime's material, nevermind the entire second half of the manga. Hopefully this does well and we get a few more seasons :)

code:
HxH 2011 | HxH 1999
    1    |   1-3
    2    |   4-5
    3    |   6-6.5
    4    |   6.5-8.33
    5    |   8.33-8.8
    6    |   8.8-10
    7    |   11-12.8
    8    |   12.8-13
    9    |   14-15.9, most of 15 is skipped
    10   |   covers the rest of 15
    11   |   16
    12   |   16-16.9
    13   |   is a clip show, really?
    14   |   16.9-21, skipping the battleship-teamwork filler arc
    15   |   22
    16   |   23
    17   |   24
    18   |   25-26
    19   |   28 (27 is Kurapica's fight with Hisoka)
    20   |   27, 29-30.5
    21   |   30.5-31
    22   |   32-33.5
    23   |   33.5-34
    24   |   35
    25   |   36
    26   |   CLIP SHOW
    27   |   37
    28   |   38
    29   |   39.66
    30   |   39.66-40.5
    31   |   40.5 (here the Kastro fight takes about 30 seconds of screentime)
    32   |   40.5-41.5 (here the '99 show skips up to Gon vs Hisoka)
    33   |   not shown
    34   |   not shown

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
Okay, so is Kurapica a dude or a chick? I always thought he just had an effeminate voice but you refer to Kurapica as "her" yet use "his" too.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

KoB posted:

Okay, so is Kurapica a dude or a chick? I always thought he just had an effeminate voice but you refer to Kurapica as "her" yet use "his" too.

Dude.

Also, I just now realized that, with the completion of the Chimera ant arc, there have only been 4 major arcs so far. I know that Togashi has been sick and all, but drat, that's around 3 years per arc.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Deki posted:

Dude.

Also, I just now realized that, with the completion of the Chimera ant arc, there have only been 4 major arcs so far. I know that Togashi has been sick and all, but drat, that's around 3 years per arc.

The Chimera Ant arc was so incredibly long with all the delays and such. I remember reading the beginning of that arc when I was in high school. I'm in grad school now and it has finally finished a few weeks ago. It's a pretty weird feeling.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Deki posted:

Dude.

Six.

-Hunter Exam
-Picking Up Killua
-Battle Tower
-The Auction
-Greed Island
-The Chimera Ants

Edit: And Leorio is STILL useless in a fight.

Edit 2: Ep 2 is out! (For premium members)

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 9, 2011

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Deki posted:

Dude.

Sure about that? I'm not current with the manga but as far as the anime ever went it was actually left ambiguous as to Kurapica's gender, so much so that the one time 'he' refers to 'himself' a gender-neutral term is used. It was never a big plot point but every once in a while a character would stop for a minute and go :raise: ...

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Sure about that? I'm not current with the manga but as far as the anime ever went it was actually left ambiguous as to Kurapica's gender, so much so that the one time 'he' refers to 'himself' a gender-neutral term is used. It was never a big plot point but every once in a while a character would stop for a minute and go :raise: ...

Cover of Volume 14, Kurapika is a dude. With very womanly hips and no torso definition.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

So far the first episode is out on Crunchy Roll, the animation looked quite nice and even if they're completely faithful to the manga this should be a really great show to watch for the next few years.
More like the next seven or eight months, since the rumor The Fluff heard was that they're only doing 36 episodes. Which when you think about it makes sense because Madhouse doesn't usually do long form adaptations. Oh well I though the show was decent maybe it'll be really popular and Shueisha will order another run. Lord knows Madhouse could use the money.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Srice posted:

I'm in grad school now and it has finally finished a few weeks ago. It's a pretty weird feeling.
Wait, it's actually done now? I haven't heard of this series in years after the last hiatus. I gave up on actually reading it since I felt like the ending will never happen. Well, I know what I'm doing tonight.

I'll follow the new series! I really hope they stop before the chimera ant arc. I think it all went downhill after the Greed Island arc. I really hated its ending.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Pigasus posted:

Wait, it's actually done now? I haven't heard of this series in years after the last hiatus. I gave up on actually reading it since I felt like the ending will never happen. Well, I know what I'm doing tonight.

I'll follow the new series! I really hope they stop before the chimera ant arc. I think it all went downhill after the Greed Island arc. I really hated its ending.

The Chimera Ant Arc ended, not the entire series if that's what you were thinking. They just dove into another new arc kind of dealing with some of the fallout from the previous one I guess?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Kind of disingenuous to leave this bit of information out of the OP from the Fall thread:

quote:

A reliable source in the anime industry informs me: "I met this guy working at Madhouse, and he was complaining about how Togashi (the HxH manga author) wanted the anime as a secure source of income. The Madhouse guy didn't seem to think it'd succeed though, since the entire thing is slated for only 36 episodes or so, and there's no way to animate the Chimera Ant arc. He also mentioned that the manga would be stopping again in December."
So yeah, don't get your hopes up.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

The Chimera Ant Arc ended, not the entire series if that's what you were thinking. They just dove into another new arc kind of dealing with some of the fallout from the previous one I guess?

Yeah, I saw that now since I just finished reading it. The ending of the arc looks good, but honestly, I can't really tell since I forgot most of the plot points.
I don't really know how hunter politics would be something that I can wait years for, though.

Zorak posted:

Kind of disingenuous to leave this bit of information out of the OP from the Fall thread:

That's both hilarious and disappointing. I suppose if Hiramaru from Bakuman is Togashi, then I should have expected that.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So 2 things:

1) Bastards! I just realized that they cut Kite from Gon's backstory. They'd better cover that poo poo in a flashback later or so help me God I will bitch about it on internet forums so hard.

2) I hope they plan to do more than a single season because we're already 2 episodes into this thing and we're not even 2/3rds of the way through book 1(of 25+).

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

readingatwork posted:

So 2 things:

1) Bastards! I just realized that they cut Kite from Gon's backstory. They'd better cover that poo poo in a flashback later or so help me God I will bitch about it on internet forums so hard.

2) I hope they plan to do more than a single season because we're already 2 episodes into this thing and we're not even 2/3rds of the way through book 1(of 25+).
1) True! And while that was a little sad as Kite was important and referenced Gon's dad, it's nothing that can't be established through a quick flashback later.

2) I agree, but that's because I love HxH and want as much of it as possible. It's worth noting however that these two episodes have covered as much content as the first five episodes of the original anime, so we're definitely moving along at a good pace.

My only complaint about the series so far is that it only comes out one episode at a time and I can't wait for the number badge part. :(

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

1) True! And while that was a little sad as Kite was important and referenced Gon's dad, it's nothing that can't be established through a quick flashback later.

2) I agree, but that's because I love HxH and want as much of it as possible. It's worth noting however that these two episodes have covered as much content as the first five episodes of the original anime, so we're definitely moving along at a good pace.

My only complaint about the series so far is that it only comes out one episode at a time and I can't wait for the number badge part. :(

On the plus side the next episode features a very friendly clown. :3:

Edit: Also, rereading the book there's a part where Gon talks about Kite to another person. I'm willing to bet that they cover that part of Gon's backstory then.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 9, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zorak posted:

Why is there no way to animate the chimera ant arc?

I haven't read the manga, I'm genuinely curious.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

KoB posted:

My best guess would be the ungodly amount of gore, brutality and death. I mean, the ants regularly kill entire villages and grind all their inhabitants up into giant meatballs. It's not exactly something that makes for plucky upbeat kid's television.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

KoB posted:

It's really long. Like, one third of the manga.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

readingatwork posted:

My best guess would be the ungodly amount of gore, brutality and death. I mean, the ants regularly kill entire villages and grind all their inhabitants up into giant meatballs. It's not exactly something that makes for plucky upbeat kid's television.

I thought the fight between Killua and the ants in the forest was rather excellent. I will be sad if that never gets animated. The original Hunter x Hunter anime was one of my favorites because the pacing was so good.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

It's tentatively scheduled for at least 45 episodes, according to NTV's Licensing Catalogue.

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
I'm so. Pumped. Hunter x Hunter quickly became one of my favorite series after reading it and watching the original anime run, so I'm really looking forward to watching it with newer animation. I've liked the first two episodes aired, and hopefully the series continues with its fast pacing.

Regarding the Chimera Ant Arc, can't they just release it as a series of OVAs? That would allow the more graphic scenes to be animated, right?

...Though it would be pretty disjointed, even if they go that route. There's also the option of completing the arc in a series of movies, but that would definitely be worst-case scenario.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

KenjiKaizoku posted:

I'm so. Pumped. Hunter x Hunter quickly became one of my favorite series after reading it and watching the original anime run, so I'm really looking forward to watching it with newer animation. I've liked the first two episodes aired, and hopefully the series continues with its fast pacing.

Regarding the Chimera Ant Arc, can't they just release it as a series of OVAs? That would allow the more graphic scenes to be animated, right?

...Though it would be pretty disjointed, even if they go that route. There's also the option of completing the arc in a series of movies, but that would definitely be worst-case scenario.
Since the Chimera Ant arc is over, I don't see why they can't animate that as well. Unless of course they're worried about the gruesome scenes but the whole manga has been full of that anyway.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
HxH was always good about luring the viewer in with bright colors and scenes of childhood innocence then oh god where is his loving ARM :gibs: The tone of the first anime really changed once Kurapica starts fighting the mob and characters start getting got.

I quit the manga right around the end of the Greed Island stuff, I think the manga was on a break then and/or the mangaka was still flipping out and submitting napkin sketches for publication. Does anybody know the story with that? The first couple of volumes have some of the best drawing and layout in any manga I've ever read, then it just plane crashes into the dirt for a while...

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Supposedly, it was due to some sort of illness.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

alkanphel posted:

Since the Chimera Ant arc is over, I don't see why they can't animate that as well. Unless of course they're worried about the gruesome scenes but the whole manga has been full of that anyway.

I'm guessing it's more that it's too long to animate without being dull as hell?

Takes No Damage posted:

I think the manga was on a break then and/or the mangaka was still flipping out and submitting napkin sketches for publication. Does anybody know the story with that? The first couple of volumes have some of the best drawing and layout in any manga I've ever read, then it just plane crashes into the dirt for a while...

He really likes money and really dislikes working. Everything that's leaked out of WSJ has made it clear that he basically plans his hiatuses ahead and only comes off when he feels he has to. The manga is popular enough when it's running that it doesn't hurt his profits too much to just not work on it most of the time.

That's why he's hoping this anime does well and lasts a long time: so he can continue not working more, again. The studio making it apparently has its doubts.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Doesn't he just do enough to put out a couple volumes worth of chapters? Those always sell like crazy.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011
Shouldn't he be rolling in cash already anyway, what with being married to the creator of Sailor Moon and all. Yu Yu Hakusho should have netted him a comfortable sum, also.
AFAIK his wife has also left a series or two hanging in the middle, so I suppose whenever drawing becomes a wee bit too stressful these two just decide "gently caress this, we're rich already anyway" and go back to enjoying their lives, until they eventually feel like drawing something again...

Ententod fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 10, 2011

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As a fellow lazy rear end I can somewhat empathize, but he better not screw up this new series. I want to see giant ants tearing children apart :swoon:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

I quit the manga right around the end of the Greed Island stuff, I think the manga was on a break then and/or the mangaka was still flipping out and submitting napkin sketches for publication. Does anybody know the story with that? The first couple of volumes have some of the best drawing and layout in any manga I've ever read, then it just plane crashes into the dirt for a while...

The art is more or less completely redone for the volume releases.

I don't have any comparison pictures on hand but the differences between the weekly chapters and volumes are huge.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I've heard the volume changes are done by his wife, too.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I've heard the volume changes are done by his wife, too.

She must've taken some serious art classes then, cause the art in Sailor Moon was pretty bad.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Is he seriously just lazy? I heard he was dealing with cancer or something.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Just saw the first two episodes on crunchyroll and found this thread. I remember reading up to the Greed Island arc before moving out. My brother was the one keeping up with this anime. I wonder if he has it up to date.

Either way, looking forward to this anime! :neckbeard:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Srice posted:

The art is more or less completely redone for the volume releases.

I don't have any comparison pictures on hand but the differences between the weekly chapters and volumes are huge.
Here's a couple I found:
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img571/298/hxhjump.jpg (original)
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img820/2530/hxhtankoban.png (revision)

http://i.imgur.com/hJeHy.jpg

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

readingatwork posted:

So 2 things:

If it's any consolation, Kite's silhouette is shown at the end of the opening, along with some other hunters, like Netero and Biske.

Maybe an indication that he'll be included later, and that we'll at least get to Greed Island?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Sarcophallus posted:

If it's any consolation, Kite's silhouette is shown at the end of the opening, along with some other hunters, like Netero and Biske.

Maybe an indication that he'll be included later, and that we'll at least get to Greed Island?
Biscuit's sillhouette is also in there so I'd say there's a good chance of that.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
Hunter X Hunter is indisputably the best Anime adaptation of a popular Manga that is still ongoing.

Like, no dispute, every other Anime has too much padding, Hunter X Hunter did amazing with the OVA's and this Madhouse version is probably gonna be loving great too.

Will check the first episodes, doubt I will be disappointed, even if its below my espectations, it should still be better than any other Anime, like say, One Piece.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SGRaaize posted:

Hunter X Hunter is indisputably the best Anime adaptation of a popular Manga that is still ongoing.

Like, no dispute, every other Anime has too much padding, Hunter X Hunter did amazing with the OVA's and this Madhouse version is probably gonna be loving great too.

Will check the first episodes, doubt I will be disappointed, even if its below my espectations, it should still be better than any other Anime, like say, One Piece.

The original anime cut a major (and awesome) fight from the battle tower arc which also functioned as an explanation of nen. I've always disliked it since. The OVAs were pretty good though (a rarity in anime).

Oh, and gently caress you One Piece is awesome. If you want to bitch about filler at least use Bleach or Naruto as your example. They have several filler seasons for Christ's sake.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
One Piece is awesome, its my favorite Manga ever.
The Anime is terrible, I would rather it have filler, actually, Naruto has a fuckload of filler, but at least, when it comes to the good scenes that should be well animated, it delivers.
One Piece doesn't give filler when it has a lot of opportunities to do so, so it goes at a pace of 1 chapter per episode, which in turn, means every single scene that could have been awesome takes 90 seconds to happen.

The last awesome scene that was quick, short to the point, awesome and amazingly well directed was when Rayleigh redirected Kizaru's light strike from out of Zoro's way, that was how many episodes ago? I'd say at least 100.

But less One Piece talk, more HxH talk, and yes, I was referring to the OVA's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
Enjoying this so far. I loved the original and the manga. While I'm sad to see the original voice actors gone, so far I've been sufficiently impressed by the new voices. Megumi Han is a particularly awesome Gon. The animation and the music is getting me all hyped up for this series again! :)

• Locked thread