Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

e: Driving me crazy, where the gently caress do I recognize Uvo's voice from? Is it Jet?
The voice actor playing him is Akio Ootsuka. Batou in GitS, Kalinin in FMP, Rider in FateZero and bunch more of those characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Roland Jones posted:

I wonder if Togashi's involved in some way; I doubt it, but him being on board would definitely reassure me as to it turning out okay.
I think I read somewhere recently that Togashi wrote the story of this one.

Guyver posted:

The voice actor playing him is Akio Ootsuka. Batou in GitS, Kalinin in FMP, Rider in FateZero and bunch more of those characters.
He's also:

Blackbeard (One Piece)
Dr. Black Jack (all Black Jack media for the past two decades)
Shunsui Kyoraku (Bleach)
Solid Snake (Metal Gear)

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 3, 2012

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I've started to lose interest in the show since it's switched focus away from Gon.
I appreciated his childish high energy spirit and the humor. I'm less than impressed with all the serious business we're currently in.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Not sure what to think about the movie.

On the one hand, it's a sign that the anime is at least somewhat popular / successful.
Still, I don't know what implications it might have for future episodes. If it is indeed a completely original story, then how is it gonna fit within the canon? If they don't wanna screw with future events, there's not much of consequence that happen in this movie.

The trailer also showed Uvogin, who's gonna die really soon, soo...yeah.
And that last shot might be Greed Island? I don't know.

Amstrad posted:

I've started to lose interest in the show since it's switched focus away from Gon.
I appreciated his childish high energy spirit and the humor. I'm less than impressed with all the serious business we're currently in.

The story arc after the current one is noticeably brighter and more upbeat and is pretty much all about Gon. Sooo..hang in there?

Dunban fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 3, 2012

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Amstrad posted:

Give it a few more episodes, it gets REALLY good. The next two arcs are all Gon and Killua as well.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Perigryn posted:

I think I read somewhere recently that Togashi wrote the story of this one.

If that is true, then my hopes for the movie will be exponentially increased. What's been going on with Kurapika is one of the things I've wanted to see most.

Dunban posted:

Still, I don't know what implications it might have for future episodes. If it is indeed a completely original story, then how is it gonna fit within the canon? If they don't wanna screw with future events, there's not much of consequence that happen in this movie.

If the above is true, then it'll probably fit in well.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

If that is true, then my hopes for the movie will be exponentially increased. What's been going on with Kurapika is one of the things I've wanted to see most.

If it's dealing a lot with Kurapika the fact that Uvogin is there might just be a flashback to the whole Kurta Clan slaughtering thing.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Roland Jones posted:

What do you mean?
When, exactly, would the movie be set? Gon and Killua are off to Greed Island immediately after Yorkshin and then straight to the Chimera Ants' place afterwards. Basically all of the Spiders are involved in these two story arcs as well, so there's not much room to work with.
Unless this is set in some alternate continuity or something, but..eh.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dunban posted:

What do you mean?

Someone said it was about Kurapika and the Phantom Troupe, specifically centered around Kurapika; I don't remember Gon and Killua being mentioned. Therefore I'm currently under the assumption that it's going to happen while the other stuff does, i.e. Gon and Killua and everyone will still be doing the canon stuff, somewhere else. Most of the trailer looks to be comprised of stuff that's already happened/about to happen in the series, meanwhile, rather than what could be movie content, so Gon and Killua being there may not be representative of the movie itself. It was mostly focused on Kurapika anyway.

Anyway, that's what I'm predicting, instead of altering the canon it will be a separate story in it. There's definitely a story to be told; in the manga there was a brief scene of Kurapika with multiple eyes collected; he's been busy while the kids have been out doing their stuff.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Yeah, I'd figured after this arc we'd be back to Gon. I wasn't going to drop the show or anything, I'm just not enjoying it to the fullest right now.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Dunban posted:

Not sure what to think about the movie.

On the one hand, it's a sign that the anime is at least somewhat popular / successful.

Movies based on Shonen Jump properties are almost never canon with their TV and manga counterparts.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

MagicalDuck posted:

Movies based on Shonen Jump properties are almost never canon with their TV and manga counterparts.

The One Piece movies that were written by Oda were cannon. I guess I don't see why Togashi is involved if it isn't going to be cannon.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Senor Candle posted:

The One Piece movies that were written by Oda were cannon. I guess I don't see why Togashi is involved if it isn't going to be cannon.

Kubo and Kishimoto have been involved in some of their series' respective noncanon movies.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Amstrad posted:

Yeah, I'd figured after this arc we'd be back to Gon. I wasn't going to drop the show or anything, I'm just not enjoying it to the fullest right now.
I started watching this anime back when it came out. Then, I dropped it because, frankly, I didn't like the whole Hunter Exam thing at all. I then started reading the manga post Hunter Exam where Gon and Killua train at the tower and read the manga from that point on to the last current chapter.

Then, I started watching this anime again post Hunter Exam. I'm actually enjoying watching it even though I know exactly what's going to happen next. Its fun to see the characters "in action".

I agree that Gon and Killua really make the show, but this current affair is interesting and Manga Spoiler Alert -- Gon and Killua do in fact get involved with the Phantom Troop with Kurapika, so all is not lost.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Guyver posted:

Rider! I just finished F0 a few weeks ago, that's where it's from. I've always wanted to play the MGS games in their original Japanese since voice acting is so much more 'serious business' over there, but I'd probably lose most of the subtleties through subtitles anyway. Would still be a blast to hear all of Snake's lines in that voice, I love the gravely shouty thing he's got going on with it.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Man, these episodes are over way too fast. So great.

Also, why are Gon and Killua wearing blackface in their little trivia segments at the end of each episode? :tinfoil:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Dunban posted:

Also, why are Gon and Killua wearing blackface in their little trivia segments at the end of each episode? :tinfoil:
It's not blackface they were at the beach so they have a tan.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I love how they animate Uvo. Everything he does looks so... severe. I'm really excited for next week.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Well, that was one of the most metal things I've ever seen in a TV anime :black101:

I think special credit needs to go out to Madhouse for how they... how do I put this? Normally when you've got a long-running TV anime, especially that's one of an adaptation, the simple facts of production ensure that sooner or later you're going to have an episode where something awesome happens but because of where it falls in the production cycle it ends up looking like dookie. Saint Seiya Omega episode 24 is an example of this. A lot of One Piece and Dragonball in particular are like this as well, on account of they're Filler City: Population Filler.

But whether they've consciously chosen to animate the episodes in a sequence where the hot poo poo guys are available for all the best action scenes or doing something else different, every action beat in Hunter X Hunter has been super sweet. So, good on ya, Madhouse :golfclap:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Wow, that was brutal as gently caress. I don't think they could have done a better job with that fight. I kind of want to watch the original to see how it compares, but drat!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Well that was loving awesome.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, maybe the best part was Hisoka's smile at the very end.

most of what made the fight awesome was crumbling rocks and clouds of dust, which seem relatively easy to animate. so hopefully it wasn't a budget breaking episode that will mean several episodes of reduced quality

vv easy, episodes 13 and 26 (the recap episodes) vv

cooldude2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 16, 2012

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

I honestly can't think of a single episode that felt like it was made on a lower budget. The art has always been spot on and - like Onimaru said - every action scene so far has been animated perfectly.

So long, Uvogin. You were too badass to live.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I remember reading the manga a long time ago, but I didn't remember this scene being so brutal. :psyduck: I might have to watch this episode a few times.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think the fact that there is a limited amount of content to animate and new content is coming out frequently enough is a big part of why they can do such a good job. There isn't any point in stretching things out to give time for the manga to get ahead because that just isn't going to happen.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Shelling out for premium on Crunchyroll, because I have to see this in 1080P :allears:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Shelling out for premium on Crunchyroll, because I have to see this in 1080P :allears:
Crunchyroll is a terrific deal, I think. I was really glad they didn't drag out that fight. They could've broken it up and had us wait until the next episode to see the outcome. Instead, we got to see the whole fight in one great episode.

For both the manga and the anime, I basically skipped the Hunter exam portion and went straight into the second arc of the manga/anime. This stuff is great. The mangaka does a wonderful job. I just wish he'd take fewer hiatuses.

Senor Candle posted:

I think the fact that there is a limited amount of content to animate and new content is coming out frequently enough is a big part of why they can do such a good job. There isn't any point in stretching things out to give time for the manga to get ahead because that just isn't going to happen.
I think I agree with you except I'm not sure what you meant by "limited amount of content to animate". The manga is pretty far ahead of the current anime, and there is a lot of material to cover between where we are now in the anime and where the manga has currently been stopped at for a few weeks/months. I would imagine it'd be very hard for the anime to catch up to the manga (which is what I believe you are also saying), unless the mangaka stops producing the manga for a very long time.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Is there anywhere to view Japanese TV ratings?
Us here liking the series is all well and good, but if no one in Japan is watching it..

Edit: ah, I found something at Anime News Network.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2012-09-10/japan-animation-tv-ranking-august-27-september-2

Checking back a few months, it occasionally appears on that list. Seems like it's hovering around 3-4%, which is..alright I guess?

Dunban fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 16, 2012

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dan7el posted:

I think I agree with you except I'm not sure what you meant by "limited amount of content to animate". The manga is pretty far ahead of the current anime, and there is a lot of material to cover between where we are now in the anime and where the manga has currently been stopped at for a few weeks/months. I would imagine it'd be very hard for the anime to catch up to the manga (which is what I believe you are also saying), unless the mangaka stops producing the manga for a very long time.
That's exactly what I'm saying. Togashi has been taking frequent hiatuses due to illness, etc. Right now in the series I think we are about 1/3rd of the way through everything that has been written so far. It has been going on since 1998 and only has 30 collected volumes. In comparison One Piece has only been going on for a year longer and is up to 67.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Senor Candle posted:

That's exactly what I'm saying. Togashi has been taking frequent hiatuses due to illness, etc. Right now in the series I think we are about 1/3rd of the way through everything that has been written so far. It has been going on since 1998 and only has 30 collected volumes. In comparison One Piece has only been going on for a year longer and is up to 67.

It's closer to 1/4th actually. Either way, I think we've got a long way to go before we need to deal with this kind of problem.
If they're ever in the situation where they're running out of source material to animate, I'd rather they stop the anime temporarily instead of doing god-awful filler arcs akin to Naruto.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Holy hell, the fight was pretty sweet, but the real gold of the episode was when Kurapika chained down Uvogin and beat the blood out of him. That was absolutely well done. That whole scene, Kurapika's emotions, the impact of each of his blows, Uvogin's helplessness - they were all animated very well!

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.
Just chiming in that that was excellently executed. I've already re-watched it many times.

I watched the 1999 version to compare, and the only thing it got better (to me) was the music. Although the music in this version was nothing to scoff at, either. It just felt maybe too familiar?

But yeah, if I ever wanted to get someone into anime who violently hated it, this would be a shining example of an episode I would show them.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Demonicpoodle posted:

But yeah, if I ever wanted to get someone into anime who violently hated it, this would be a shining example of an episode I would show them.

I'm not sure why you'd show this episode to someone who hates anime in general; it's good, but it's very shonen.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Dunban posted:

Checking back a few months, it occasionally appears on that list. Seems like it's hovering around 3-4%, which is..alright I guess?

For a mainstream kids anime nowadays, that's pretty good. Anime TV ratings have been declining in general for over a decade, so you can't really use old ratings as a good indicator of popularity. Gone are the days of popular shows hitting 15%, unless their name is Sazae-san or Doraemon.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Catching up on episodes after a few weeks, Uvo fight was :rock:

code:
HxH 2011 | HxH 1999
    1    |   1-3
    2    |   4-5
    3    |   6-6.5
    4    |   6.5-8.33
    5    |   8.33-8.8
    6    |   8.8-10
    7    |   11-12.8
    8    |   12.8-13
    9    |   14-15.9, most of 15 is skipped
    10   |   covers the rest of 15
    11   |   16
    12   |   16-16.9
    13   |   is a clip show, really?
    14   |   16.9-21, skipping the battleship-teamwork filler arc
    15   |   22
    16   |   23
    17   |   24
    18   |   25-26
    19   |   28 (27 is Kurapica's fight with Hisoka)
    20   |   27, 29-30.5
    21   |   30.5-31
    22   |   32-33.5
    23   |   33.5-34
    24   |   35
    25   |   36
    26   |   CLIP SHOW
    27   |   37
    28   |   38
    29   |   39.66
    30   |   39.66-40.5
    31   |   40.5 (here the Kastro fight takes about 30 seconds of screentime)
    32   |   40.5-41.5 (here the '99 show skips up to Gon vs Hisoka)
    33   |   the Hisoka fight breakdown from 42, and the Zushi kidnapping stuff from 43
    34   |   44
    35   |   41.5-42
    36   |   42 (but just the bits with Gon VS Hisoka)
    37   |   46
    38   |   47, half of 50
    39   |   45, rest of 50
    40   |   48-49
    41   |   51
    42   |   52.5
    43   |   52.5-53.5
    44   |   53.5-54
    45   |   54
    46   |   55
    47   |   56

In the '99 series, Kurapica's boss stabs Uvo in his shoulder wound with the sword. Still doesn't really hurt him but it's a bit ickier than what's shown this time. The Uvo fight itself has way more blood in the new series though, so there's that. It seems like the original series fluffed out the Hunter Exam stuff quite a bit, now that we're past that we seem to be covering about the same amount of material per episode.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Takes No Damage posted:

Catching up on episodes after a few weeks, Uvo fight was :rock:

In the '99 series, Kurapica's boss stabs Uvo in his shoulder wound with the sword. Still doesn't really hurt him but it's a bit ickier than what's shown this time. The Uvo fight itself has way more blood in the new series though, so there's that. It seems like the original series fluffed out the Hunter Exam stuff quite a bit, now that we're past that we seem to be covering about the same amount of material per episode.

Well...

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Motherfucking Zepile. This guy rules. For a plot that isn't really focused on combat, a big bad or anything, I've always thought the auction plot was pretty interesting.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Agreed.
For something that, in the grand scheme of things, really doesn't matter, you can tell that the creators nonetheless put a lot of thought and heart into it.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

It made a nice breather episode, too. We kind of needed one after the last couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The new episode rocked. The suspense, the tension, the chase, the surprise at the end. Great job by Madhouse.

• Locked thread