Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Jesus Christ you could cut the tension with a knife! Amazing episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can't recall there ever being an episode of an anime where things went to poo poo quite this fast off the top of my head. This show's awesome.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOAzDr_alV8

A guy made a comparison video of the Kurapika VS Uvogin fight. It's amazing what 11 years can do.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012
New version has better animation but I do prefer the old version's choreography. Also 1999 had a more serious mood. New stuff's still good.

Mike Toole
Apr 9, 2001

WE ARE GOING BACK!!
I love the comparison videos. IMO, they give lie to the whole "the old one was WAY better animated" remark that I've seen crop up in a few places. Didn't make it too far into the old series back in the day, but loving the weird mix of light adventure/crazy murder in the new one.

Not every episode of Hunter x Hunter: Brotherhood blows me away, but every episode leaves me feeling kinda mad that there isn't another one to immediately watch. I wish they'd hurry up and import/dub this, I showed my 6-year-old nephew the Gon/Hisoka arena fight and he went bananas for it and is mad that he can't watch in English. Normally I'd expect a kid to start being able to handle subtitles at age 8 or 9, but this might actually put him ahead of the curve if he seeks it out on his own.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mike Toole posted:

I love the comparison videos. IMO, they give lie to the whole "the old one was WAY better animated" remark that I've seen crop up in a few places. Didn't make it too far into the old series back in the day, but loving the weird mix of light adventure/crazy murder in the new one.

I think the 1999 series is good is its own right, but it's not a very good adaptation of the manga. There was a lot of dark atmosphere that the current series lacks, and I really liked that, but there wasn't really much of that in the manga prior to the Chimera Ant arc. The first anime did do a much better job adapting the first arc, though. It's similar to the difference between FMA and FMA: Brotherhood, I guess.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

Mike Toole posted:

I wish they'd hurry up and import/dub this, I showed my 6-year-old nephew the Gon/Hisoka arena fight and he went bananas for it and is mad that he can't watch in English. Normally I'd expect a kid to start being able to handle subtitles at age 8 or 9, but this might actually put him ahead of the curve if he seeks it out on his own.

If/when they dub this, I could see Hunter x Hunter being a great show to turn people into anime fans. There's just so much energy in it, and you can tell that the makers care about what they are producing.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
My parents really enjoy it. I've shown them a fair amount of stuff, most of which I think is better, but the only thing they've enjoyed as much as Hunter was Kino's Journey. It's a small mystery to me, but what you say is empirically true. The recent episodes of Hunter have been pretty great, to be fair.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Silver2195 posted:

I think the 1999 series is good is its own right, but it's not a very good adaptation of the manga. There was a lot of dark atmosphere that the current series lacks, and I really liked that, but there wasn't really much of that in the manga prior to the Chimera Ant arc. The first anime did do a much better job adapting the first arc, though. It's similar to the difference between FMA and FMA: Brotherhood, I guess.

This series blasted through the Hunter exam like nobody's business, but now they've slowed down to a place pretty similar to the original show. It was a little concerning at first but honestly this material is way more engaging and interesting so I'm starting too consider this run a more clear upgrade to the '99 series. Doing a better job than the FMA reboot at least, they really rushed the redundant materials from that show.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

This series blasted through the Hunter exam like nobody's business, but now they've slowed down to a place pretty similar to the original show. It was a little concerning at first but honestly this material is way more engaging and interesting so I'm starting too consider this run a more clear upgrade to the '99 series. Doing a better job than the FMA reboot at least, they really rushed the redundant materials from that show.

I should probably clarify that I like HxH 2011 a lot more than I like Brotherhood, in part because the stuff that Brotherhood handled badly included some important facets of the main character's personality. I guess you could make similar arguments about HxH, but the heart of the series is the puzzles and the mix of funny/cute and grimdark elements rather than Gon.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I just realized that they still haven't properly introduced Kite yet. People are going to be SO confused when Gon meets him later.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

readingatwork posted:

I just realized that they still haven't properly introduced Kite yet. People are going to be SO confused when Gon meets him later.

You're right..I hope this doesn't mean that the series is ending after Greed Island.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If they do get that far they could easily cover him in a quick flashback. Considering his only appearance for a long time was in the very first chapter it would only take a minute or two.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Srice posted:

If they do get that far they could easily cover him in a quick flashback. Considering his only appearance for a long time was in the very first chapter it would only take a minute or two.

Not to mention that appearance was in a flashback anyways

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

It's not like this series blasted through the Hunter exam, it's that the old series dragged his feet and put lots of little moments of filler here and there.

From what's worth, I suppose it wasn't like that by random chance, they had a reason: When they started doing the old anime, Togashi had published only a few volumes of the manga, so they needed to go slow to not reach the end too soon.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

IIRC the director said the skipped the Kite flashback so they could put it somewhere where it will be more relevant to the story or something like that, so I'm assuming we will eventually see it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

IIRC the director said the skipped the Kite flashback so they could put it somewhere where it will be more relevant to the story or something like that, so I'm assuming we will eventually see it.

I read through HxH in probably a week or two and still had no idea who Kite was when he reappeared.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

Probably why the director is holding off on introducing him until he becomes important.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012
Does that mean the director plans to do the Chimera Ant arc? Kaito isn't really relevant until that arc.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I'm really not liking how much they're toning down the violence in the new show compared to the manga, or even the first anime from '99. I think it's really starting to detract from the overall narrative and we're beginning to lose some important story bits, and furthermore

http://i.imgur.com/DZrm2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5Ig4s.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hqWPO.jpg

:stare:

Seriously though, I loved what they did with the classical music during the orgy of violence at the end there, and keeping it going through the end credits was way cooler than it had any right to be.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It helps that they're really doing well in picking what song plays in a scene. Anyone can slap classical in a show but it takes some effort to have it fit.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The Zoldyks rules.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Indeed.

Their Hatsu may make you think you're watching Dragonball, but still.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Nahxela posted:

The Zoldyks rules.

This. Also, I love how casually Chrollo's Nen ability is introduced. Normally it would be a secret until wayyy later when he's fighting one of the main characters but nah gently caress that, it's just "Yo dad I fought this guy once, he can steal your powers. Watch out."

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
It's turning out to be quite a blessing that I last watched the 1999 version, like, 6 years ago.

I can't for the life of me remember how this arc is gonna end..I just know that we're close to it, and obviously what comes after. But how we get there? No idea.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dunban posted:

It's turning out to be quite a blessing that I last watched the 1999 version, like, 6 years ago.

I can't for the life of me remember how this arc is gonna end..I just know that we're close to it, and obviously what comes after. But how we get there? No idea.

This is the same situation I'm in. I watched the old series and I've read the manga through twice but other than some images in my head, I honestly can't remember what happens next.

BIG FUTURE SPOILERS: For example, I know Kurapika has to get his chain on Chrollo's heart somehow, but I cannot imagine how it's going to happen. And I know Gon and Killua and Senritsu engage in some espionage with phones, but I can't remember when, or why.

Nobody explain though! The sudden memory loss is making these episodes much more exciting.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is the same situation I'm in. I watched the old series and I've read the manga through twice but other than some images in my head, I honestly can't remember what happens next.

BIG FUTURE SPOILERS: For example, I know Kurapika has to get his chain on Chrollo's heart somehow, but I cannot imagine how it's going to happen. And I know Gon and Killua and Senritsu engage in some espionage with phones, but I can't remember when, or why.

Nobody explain though! The sudden memory loss is making these episodes much more exciting.

Who the gently caress is Senritsu

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Who the gently caress is Senritsu
Sorry, I don't know why I used that name. Her name is translated to 'Melody,' she's the weird looking girl with crazy-good hearing in Kurapika's group.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Sorry, I don't know why I used that name. Her name is translated to 'Melody,' she's the weird looking girl with crazy-good hearing in Kurapika's group.

Ahahaha ok that makes a lot more sense.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'd say we're just over half-way done with this arc. Maybe 2/3 of the way. There is a lot that needs to be done yet. My favorite arc is the next one coming up.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Was there no new episode this week?

I know they've skipped a week at least once in the past, I just want to be sure since it's usually available pretty quick. I want my espionage. :(

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Broadcast changes delayed it a week.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Well, since I've read the manga up until the point where the mangaka, yet again, went on hiatus, I think I'll survive a week off. However, I really am enjoying the anime even knowing what's about to happen, and I really wish he'd get off his hiatus-rear end and start producing the next arc of the manga.

I always look forward to Space Brothers & Hunter x Hunter coming out together on Sunday morning. I was half-disappointed today.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The manga isn't exactly coming off hiatus, but we are getting some new content pretty soon:

quote:

The December 3 and December 10 issues of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine will publish a two-part Hunter X Hunter manga special from Yoshihiro Togashi titled "Kurapika Tsuioku-hen" (Kurapika Recollection Volume). The 63-page special will act as a prequel to the upcoming Hunter × Hunter: Phantom Rouge film.

The special will revolve around Kurapika's childhood with the Kurta clan.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Oh man, I hope we eventually get to see how exactly Kurapika gathered all of those eyes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Speaking of which, the bonus is up.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, that was interesting. Kurapika was a lot livelier when he was young, jeez. He seems like a different person. Which, admittedly, is understandable, considering.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Man the latest episode (58) was fantastic. That was everything I could have hoped for for the conclusion to this arc. I always thought Pakunoda's acts leading up to her death was one of the most poignant moments in the manga.

And then there's this:

I'm so happy I might have teared up a little since that came from my single favorite panel in the entire manga,

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I liked how Kurapica's childhood friend from the special chapter made an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Some of the comedy beats in the latest episode were downright murderous. Also, the conclusion to this arc really reminded me of Yu Yu Hakusho for some reason, to the point that I could hear BGM from that show playing in my brain as the episode drew to a close.

• Locked thread