Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Time Warner Cable NC for some reason installed a new cable modem for my parents. I do not know the model number, but the brand is Arris. Since it has been installed, I can no longer SSH to their system.

The TWC guy kindly put the modem into bridge mode and turned off the wifi of the device since there is an existing router/ap in their home. The router is running dd-wrt and there is a very simple port forward from port 54321 to port 22 of their system.

I have verified the port forward is correct, their system LAN IP is still the same (static), and can plainly see from a packet capture taken on their system that when I ssh or telnet to port 54321 from the WAN side that the packets never make it to their system.

I telnet'd into the dd-wrt and can see the port forward iptables rules. They have never been triggered (counters are zero), so I can only assume the packets are lost/discarded at or before the Arris. I was able to locate the web GUI address and log in for this Arris thing but there is really very little in here. I cannot see any reason it would be discarding these packets. It is clearly in bridge mode so wtf >:(.

I can ping their WAN IP (only after disabling some silly filter in dd-wrt) so this makes me believe the Arris is at least correctly forwarding most of the traffic to the dd-wrt router. I suppose the iptables chains on the dd-wrt but it is stock except for the single port forward I added via the GUI...

Any ideas here???

Have you tried 22 directly? And is there any reason you are using port forwarding? Is it a technical restriction or "security".

The cable modem is basically a layer 2 device at this point so it won't do anything to IP packets. Have you checked to see if the firewall is discarding packets? Run a trace route?

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Time Warner Cable NC for some reason installed a new cable modem for my parents. I do not know the model number, but the brand is Arris. Since it has been installed, I can no longer SSH to their system.

The TWC guy kindly put the modem into bridge mode and turned off the wifi of the device since there is an existing router/ap in their home. The router is running dd-wrt and there is a very simple port forward from port 54321 to port 22 of their system.

I have verified the port forward is correct, their system LAN IP is still the same (static), and can plainly see from a packet capture taken on their system that when I ssh or telnet to port 54321 from the WAN side that the packets never make it to their system.

I telnet'd into the dd-wrt and can see the port forward iptables rules. They have never been triggered (counters are zero), so I can only assume the packets are lost/discarded at or before the Arris. I was able to locate the web GUI address and log in for this Arris thing but there is really very little in here. I cannot see any reason it would be discarding these packets. It is clearly in bridge mode so wtf >:(.

I can ping their WAN IP (only after disabling some silly filter in dd-wrt) so this makes me believe the Arris is at least correctly forwarding most of the traffic to the dd-wrt router. I suppose the iptables chains on the dd-wrt but it is stock except for the single port forward I added via the GUI...

Any ideas here???

Time Warner modems in NC have been blocking all sorts of stuff lately, even PPTP VPN which has been a huge pain for our customers trying to VPN in from home we have been having to DMZ them it's stupid.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

flosofl posted:

Have you tried 22 directly? And is there any reason you are using port forwarding? Is it a technical restriction or "security".

The cable modem is basically a layer 2 device at this point so it won't do anything to IP packets. Have you checked to see if the firewall is discarding packets? Run a trace route?

Regardless of whether netfilter/iptables is running on the server, the incoming SYN packets will be visible in a packet capture and they are definitely not there.

I have not tried forwarding port 22 directly through to 22 on the server but I'll give it a go the next time I am there. I would think there is a greater chance TWC is blocking a "known" port such as 22 versus the random port I chose. While I am not opposed to using port 22 on the outside, it is nice to use some random ephemeral port as it cuts down on the login attempts from strange places :p.

I am not sure I understand the question about port forwarding. Since the router is doing NAT, you have to set up some type of forward so it knows to allow WAN packets to the specified port to pass through and to which LAN IP/port to NAT/forward them to... in dd-wrt this is called port forwarding. Unless there is somewhere else in dd-wrt I should be setting this up? I admit this is my first time using dd-wrt.

socialsecurity posted:

Time Warner modems in NC have been blocking all sorts of stuff lately, even PPTP VPN which has been a huge pain for our customers trying to VPN in from home we have been having to DMZ them it's stupid.

Ugh, I really hope that is not it as it would be impossible to prove or avoid. I am hoping I am the idiot here and have just missed something obvious. I have TWC NC at my home and while I have a different type of cable modem and router, I have a random port opened and forwarded to 22 on my server and it works just fine. This is the main reason I am convinced that I've done something dumb on the router or have missed some option on their weird cable modem....

I suppose I could stick a switch between the cable modem and router and do some port-mirroring crap to verify whether the incoming SSH packet is there, but that is definitely going to be a pain in the rear end to set up! I wish dd-wrt had tcpdump on it :( :( :(

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Bought dual shock 4s to use with Steam games, works great with my Macbook pro right next to me, but it seems the bluetooth dongle I bought for my desktop has an extremely limited range; being 8-10 feet away and the connection gets laggy and even drops inputs.

Are there higher-powered bluetooth adapters I could get? I googled around and couldn't find anything definitive. In theory it seems like I should be able to get a Class 1 bluetooth dongle instead and that would have increased range, but a lot of customer reviews contradict this. I'm using Windows 7 x64 in case that matters (I saw one person say Windows 8 had better bluetooth support?).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me pick out a router. The AC68U came in on Saturday from the TigerDirect deal and it's worked like a charm ever since. I even tried out the USB 3.0 port and set up an FTP. I only had one issue where the internet dropped out but things seem to be going smooth now. I never know if that's the router itself or Cox being a oval office like usual though.

I did, however, notice a firmware bug which has apparently been around since the N66U. Basically, I used the AiProtection feature to try to secure the router a bit more and switched from HTTP to HTTPS. In doing that, the router locked up the GUI for 192.168.1.1 and I couldn't access it. Instead, I got this message:

Router Message from AC68U posted:

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh. Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.

After doing a lot of searching and finding out how it's apparently a common problem when you switch from HTTP to HTTPS, I was prepared to factory reset. It took about 30 minutes of searching to find out that https://192.168.1.1:8443/ which let me go in and change it back to HTTP and let me use 192.168.1.1 again. Failing that, it looks like a factory reset might have worked...some had the problem crop up again.

Annoying bug but still an amazing router. The FTP is nice, but I don't know what I'll use it for...

Anyone know if the AiProtection settings are worth it and which I should/should not bother with?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I have not tried forwarding port 22 directly through to 22 on the server but I'll give it a go the next time I am there. I would think there is a greater chance TWC is blocking a "known" port such as 22 versus the random port I chose. While I am not opposed to using port 22 on the outside, it is nice to use some random ephemeral port as it cuts down on the login attempts from strange places :p.

I am not sure I understand the question about port forwarding. Since the router is doing NAT, you have to set up some type of forward so it knows to allow WAN packets to the specified port to pass through and to which LAN IP/port to NAT/forward them to... in dd-wrt this is called port forwarding. Unless there is somewhere else in dd-wrt I should be setting this up? I admit this is my first time using dd-wrt.

Yeah, that was bad wording on my part. I simply meant that most attacks against ssh typically start with a port scan looking for listening services, but the more I think about, it's more likely for a targeted attack rather than someone iterating through a block of addresses looking for vulnerable versions of sshd.

The reason I mentioned trying port 22 is when I'm troubleshooting something, I try to keep the variables to a minimum. I don't know about TWC, but with Comcast I think the only inbound they block is port 25 and port 80/443 for non-business class users. I have a jabber server running, ssh server, and an IPSec VPN running with zero issues there. But of course, I've heard stories about TWC and they may be blocking all kinds of poo poo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yesterday my ISP-supplied modem crapped out. I got a new modem (SB6121) and a Linksys e1200. It was working well for a while, but last night we had intermittent issues, more severe on some machines than others. I'm wondering if it was a problem with the signal, since the router is pretty cheap. Should the e1200 be able to give a signal 10 feet away and one floor up? It doesn't seem like much, but this is a ~40 year old townhouse and I don't know what's in that floor.

I'm having my fiancee watch for any more problems. We are still well within the return window.

I was thinking it could be related to trying to use the n band, since that has a harder time with walls. Is there any way to disable the n band on a linksys router and see if the g band works better?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Linksys routers are laughably terrible so I would 100% blame that first.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. I was in a hurry* and saw that in the recommend list. Did they go downhill? I had a 54g years ago, and it was very stable. I think I'll use this chance to order something better off the internet, rather than buying from Best Buy.

*"Let's go now", she says, "you can research them at the store." At the store, I start looking at the OP, trying to decide. And every 30 seconds she asks how much longer it's going to take.

Edit: DD-WRT and Tomato are just management software, right? The OP is contradicting itself on the importance of flashing the router.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 26, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Linksys got sold to Cisco, where it went downhill but was still serviceable, but then it got sold to Belkin and they became truly irredeemable poo poo.

The OP is worthless at this point. Tomato and DD-WRT are aftermarket firmware for the router, but in a lot of cases the stuff that comes on new routers is fine.

The Wirecutter does good reviews and I tend to agree with their conclusions.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Does anyone have recommendations on a cable modem to get that works nicely with optimum online? I will probably end up getting an archer c7 as my router unless there is a good combo out there.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

Does anyone have recommendations on a cable modem to get that works nicely with optimum online? I will probably end up getting an archer c7 as my router unless there is a good combo out there.

I haven't heard of nor could I imagine a modem/router device that isn't terrible. I suggest just buying a modem only modem then picking up your router of choice.

Even if there was a not-terrible modem/router combo if the ISP switches to a new tech or you switch providers or move or something, all your network configuration goes with it, so in general your own router is a great idea.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
hey I checked the op and it's like 3 years old. My boss is making me find a decent router & wireless printer for his friend, and I haven't looked into any of that in years. Any advice on what router to pick? I guess this dude has like a grand to blow, but I can't see him doing anything insane so that's probably over budgeting. It'd be preferable to get something that just works, I don't want to deal with any kind of bs more than what I already have to.

It turns out that I'd have to try and set up the network here, then the dude takes this poo poo to his loving cabin and plugs it in and it works? I'm gonna just quit maybe, idk.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Linksys got sold to Cisco, where it went downhill but was still serviceable, but then it got sold to Belkin and they became truly irredeemable poo poo.

The OP is worthless at this point. Tomato and DD-WRT are aftermarket firmware for the router, but in a lot of cases the stuff that comes on new routers is fine.

The Wirecutter does good reviews and I tend to agree with their conclusions.

Well that explains it. Every Belkin I have bought has been an unreliable POS.

Thanks for the link. I'm looking at either a C7 or a T-Link 3600. We only have one AC device right now, but in a year or two, the number will probably go up. Would it be reasonable to expect the Archer C7 to work for 5-6 years if it would be servicing 2-3 devices at once? Or is it too hard to predict what bandwidth programs and applications will require that far down the line?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

hey I checked the op and it's like 3 years old. My boss is making me find a decent router & wireless printer for his friend, and I haven't looked into any of that in years. Any advice on what router to pick? I guess this dude has like a grand to blow, but I can't see him doing anything insane so that's probably over budgeting. It'd be preferable to get something that just works, I don't want to deal with any kind of bs more than what I already have to.

It turns out that I'd have to try and set up the network here, then the dude takes this poo poo to his loving cabin and plugs it in and it works? I'm gonna just quit maybe, idk.

that sounds like an Apple AirPort Extreme kinda situation. really sucks working at places that make you do that kinda poo poo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Actually, I came up with another question. I was told that an ac device could have problems on an n network. Aside from a hypothetical loss in speed at >600mbps, that smells like bullshit. I would also assume that all ac cards should be fully backwards compatible, but the device's webpage doesn't specify. Could that prove to be a problem at all?

If not, I'm probably just going with the TP-link WDR3600, unless I qualify for that T-Mobile $25 deposit ASUS router.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Actually, I came up with another question. I was told that an ac device could have problems on an n network. Aside from a hypothetical loss in speed at >600mbps, that smells like bullshit. I would also assume that all ac cards should be fully backwards compatible, but the device's webpage doesn't specify. Could that prove to be a problem at all?

If not, I'm probably just going with the TP-link WDR3600, unless I qualify for that T-Mobile $25 deposit ASUS router.

I haven't heard anything like that. Before I got my ac router, I used my 2014 rMBP, which has an ac card in it, with my 802.11n router and had zero issues (or course it would only work at "n" speeds, but that should be obvious).

Or are you talking about issues with ac using 5GHz spectrum?

If you have a link to something making this claim, I'd love to see it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

phosdex posted:

that sounds like an Apple AirPort Extreme kinda situation. really sucks working at places that make you do that kinda poo poo.

Thanks. What's the deal with Apple routers? Why that over some random Cisco or whatever? I wasn't even aware they made that kind of stuff. (last time I was into this was highschool, but I still give off that Goon/Nerd vibe so that's why I'm the one to pick this trash out)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

flosofl posted:

I haven't heard anything like that. Before I got my ac router, I used my 2014 rMBP, which has an ac card in it, with my 802.11n router and had zero issues (or course it would only work at "n" speeds, but that should be obvious).

Or are you talking about issues with ac using 5GHz spectrum?

If you have a link to something making this claim, I'd love to see it.

The source was somebody at Best Buy, but broken clock, etc. I generally get a gauge for whether to not trust somebody there at all or to trust them a little bit by going into full technical detail on what I'm doing and seeing how much their eyes glaze over, but I don't know enough about networking to do that.

I'll just get the n-band.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Thanks. What's the deal with Apple routers? Why that over some random Cisco or whatever? I wasn't even aware they made that kind of stuff. (last time I was into this was highschool, but I still give off that Goon/Nerd vibe so that's why I'm the one to pick this trash out)
It may be cliche, but "it just works" is why the Apple routers are so popular. They are super easy to setup, perform well, and have good support.
The only negative is if you want your router to do more fancy configuration things.

I've had one for 7 years and the only time I have issues is user error forgetting a wifi password to give to people so I have to login and change it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
The only downside I've had with my airport extreme is that lots of applications only know UPnP for configuring their own port forwarding, while the airport only supports NAT-PMP, so things like my xbox and ps4 can't self-configure. Or at least that's how it seems to work out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MrBond posted:

The only downside I've had with my airport extreme is that lots of applications only know UPnP for configuring their own port forwarding, while the airport only supports NAT-PMP, so things like my xbox and ps4 can't self-configure. Or at least that's how it seems to work out.

I'm not sure that would be a downside, UPnP is pretty terrible.

https://community.rapid7.com/docs/DOC-2150

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone having issues with the AC68U dropping connection when transferring large files?

flosofl posted:

I'm not sure that would be a downside, UPnP is pretty terrible.

https://community.rapid7.com/docs/DOC-2150

Should it be disabled?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone having issues with the AC68U dropping connection when transferring large files?

Should it be disabled?

Personally, I always have on devices that had it as an option. I just set my forwarding tables manually.

Currently, with the gear I'm using it's not even an option.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The source was somebody at Best Buy, but broken clock, etc. I generally get a gauge for whether to not trust somebody there at all or to trust them a little bit by going into full technical detail on what I'm doing and seeing how much their eyes glaze over, but I don't know enough about networking to do that.

I'll just get the n-band.

Just get the latest Apple doodad. As already stated it requires the least configuration and it has nearly class leading performance. Why would you just get N??

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Because a) I'm poor/cheap, b) I have a total of one ac device, and c) wired directly into the modem I get 50mbps. The TP-Link 3600, which is supposed to be better than a good chunk of ac routers, is $50. An airport extreme is what, $180? I was also looking at the Archer C7, which is only $97, but b, c, and a little bit of a apply.

I might want to replace it in a few years once I have more ac devices, but by then I will have graduated, and I'll have significantly more money (STEM don't fail me now).

Edit: Even if I did change my mind and get an ac, I would get the c7 over the nearly twice the price Airport. Especially since the Airport seems to be at best equal in performance.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 27, 2015

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Because a) I'm poor/cheap, b) I have a total of one ac device, and c) wired directly into the modem I get 50mbps. The TP-Link 3600, which is supposed to be better than a good chunk of ac routers, is $50. An airport extreme is what, $180? I was also looking at the Archer C7, which is only $97, but b, c, and a little bit of a apply.

I might want to replace it in a few years once I have more ac devices, but by then I will have graduated, and I'll have significantly more money (STEM don't fail me now).

Edit: Even if I did change my mind and get an ac, I would get the c7 over the nearly twice the price Airport. Especially since the Airport seems to be at best equal in performance.

Ooh sorry I got you mixed up with the up to $1000 budget guy.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm gonna start using an old computer as an iTunes/media server. I want a device that takes the existing WiFi signal in my apartment, and feeds it to some ethernet ports.

1) Is a "wireless bridge" the type of device I should be shopping for here? Or "wireless access point" maybe?
2) If I connect my server and Apple TV (and maybe a game console that would be accessing media on the server as well) to the ethernet ports, would those devices behave as if they were on a wired network with each other? That's what I'm really trying to achieve here. Obviously internet stuff would be limited by WiFi speed, but I'm hoping I could maximize performance over the network with this configuration.
3) Wondering if I could also create a discrete SSID (essentially giving my apartment its own network) with such a device, but that's of secondary importance.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
1) Yes, you want a bridge.
2) They should.
3) You probably won't find anything that can act as a bridge an an access point (broadcasts its own SSID) in one unit without paying for some pro-level stuff.

EDIT: For what it's worth, consumer Wifi bridges are usually poo poo rear end garbage, though.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 27, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

stuxracer posted:

It may be cliche, but "it just works" is why the Apple routers are so popular. They are super easy to setup, perform well, and have good support.
The only negative is if you want your router to do more fancy configuration things.

I've had one for 7 years and the only time I have issues is user error forgetting a wifi password to give to people so I have to login and change it.

I share the same sentiment. Despite being a Windows guy at work, I actually have quite a bit of Apple stuff at home because "it just works". They're pretty good at it.

The Airport Extreme though, to get a little more technical, also runs a different OS than most other consumer level routers. It runs VxWorks which I find makes it a little more stable.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Inspector_666 posted:

1) Yes, you want a bridge.
2) They should.
3) You probably won't find anything that can act as a bridge an an access point (broadcasts its own SSID) in one unit without paying for some pro-level stuff.

EDIT: For what it's worth, consumer Wifi bridges are usually poo poo rear end garbage, though.
Thanks! Hoping I can get by with a consumer bridge, since I really only want the functionality of an ethernet switch (just without a hardwired uplink available).

Would I be able to repurpose a spare Airport Extreme for this sort of thing? Or is a dedicated bridge the way to go - and if so what would the least terrible consumer model to look for?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If the main WAP is an Airport, you will be able to use an Extreme as a bridge. If it's not an Airport, you still might, but I know you can't extend a non-Airport network so I don't want to make any promises.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Inspector_666 posted:

If the main WAP is an Airport, you will be able to use an Extreme as a bridge. If it's not an Airport, you still might, but I know you can't extend a non-Airport network so I don't want to make any promises.
Ah, the main router is just the default Optimum online thing so that's probably a no-go then. I'd switch it out with my own but it's the landlords' downstairs and we use the WiFi for free.

I got an old Linksys WRT## packed away also, I know that's fairly reviled as a router but would that be a bridge option?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
hey what's the deal with these newfangled wireless types? Airport is apparently "ac" but the laptop i'm looking at is "b/g/n."
poo poo I thought N was the hot new wave

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Minidust posted:

Ah, the main router is just the default Optimum online thing so that's probably a no-go then. I'd switch it out with my own but it's the landlords' downstairs and we use the WiFi for free.

I got an old Linksys WRT## packed away also, I know that's fairly reviled as a router but would that be a bridge option?

It might work, I'm not sure if the WRTs can handle WPA2 even with DD-WRT or Tomato (which I think you'll need for bridge mode.)

Would it not be possible at all to run a cable from downstairs? Even if you just stick it out a window or whatever.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

hey what's the deal with these newfangled wireless types? Airport is apparently "ac" but the laptop i'm looking at is "b/g/n."
poo poo I thought N was the hot new wave

It's basically technology that makes 5ghz band more usable despite it having more of a range fall-off and problems, and also a higher bandwidth.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Inspector_666 posted:

It might work, I'm not sure if the WRTs can handle WPA2 even with DD-WRT or Tomato (which I think you'll need for bridge mode.)

Would it not be possible at all to run a cable from downstairs? Even if you just stick it out a window or whatever.
It's not out of the question I suppose. Just interested in a quick fix that wouldn't require as much collaboration. I'm not opposed to paying for a dedicated bridge device if it gets the job done, and it's probably the type of thing I could re-use in some future setup down the road.

A more broad networking question:
Pretty much every discussion on media servers I've looked at has pointed to FreeNAS. However, the main duty of my server will be sharing an iTunes library to an Apple TV, and it sounds like FreeNAS/Firefly can't actually do that.

Then there's Windows server, which is supposed to be pretty simple. However, what are the real drawbacks of just using my current Windows 7 setup, configuring my sharing options, and leaving iTunes/Plex clients running? That's more or less what I've been doing up until now... just with my main laptop that was sometimes on the go, and thus not always available for serving. Once I dedicate it to serving, do I really have to change much if my needs are pretty light?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 27, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Any particular brand of gigabit switch people like more than others these days? I've got an old 8 port netgear sitting on my desk at the moment that's just not got enough ports. I've been using the 4 ports on my wireless router as expansion slots, but I'm replacing that and relocating it so I won't have that crutch anymore, so I'm looking at finding a decent 16 porter. Bonus points if I can wall mount it.

I've pretty much used Netgear stuff forever without any complaints, but its been a long time since I bought one so I don't know if their quality has gone downhill or something.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Azhais posted:

Any particular brand of gigabit switch people like more than others these days? I've got an old 8 port netgear sitting on my desk at the moment that's just not got enough ports. I've been using the 4 ports on my wireless router as expansion slots, but I'm replacing that and relocating it so I won't have that crutch anymore, so I'm looking at finding a decent 16 porter. Bonus points if I can wall mount it.

I've pretty much used Netgear stuff forever without any complaints, but its been a long time since I bought one so I don't know if their quality has gone downhill or something.

Basic gigabit switches are all pretty much the same at this point. Netgear, TP-Link, TRENDnet, ZyXEL, Linksys just get whichever one is cheapest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Krailor posted:

Basic gigabit switches are all pretty much the same at this point. Netgear, TP-Link, TRENDnet, ZyXEL, Linksys just get whichever one is cheapest.

Yeah, ASICs are basic enough that unmanaged switches are pretty much all the same thing now.