Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
I'm basically sick of my htpc (which is downstairs) making GBS threads the bed when the microwave gets turned on while I watch anything. That and not being able to stream some of my full blurays sucks. I'm pondering grabbing a WNDR3700 or better router and either a WNDA3100v2 or a trend-net dual band adapter. I currently have a wok-fi for the 2.4ghz usb adapter that I'm using, so the WNDA3100 may work better for that.

My question is, will this even be guaranteed to work? I could wire my house, but that's a lot of time I don't have (plus :effort: involving 2 story house, no good places left to put a switch, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Ninja Rope posted:

Where does the network of powerline adapters end? At the pole? At the nearest transformer?

Can you share a coax cable between MOCA and digital TV/cable internet, or does it need to be a dedicated MOCA-only segment?

MOCA you will get 100mbps MAX between 2 different adapters. the "270 mbps" you see on moca adapters is the max throughput of the entire system (if you had 2-3 systems attached).

New wireless adapter question: Linksys AE2500 refurb, and e4200 refurb (v1 I believe)/ or e3200 refurb: good bet? OP doesn't have anything over the E3000 listed, unsure if that's because it's just out of date or they're not reliably good.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Tedronai66 posted:

New wireless adapter question: Linksys AE2500 refurb, and e4200 refurb (v1 I believe)/ or e3200 refurb: good bet?
OP doesn't have anything over the E3000 listed, unsure if that's because it's just out of date or they're not reliably good.

Bumping this. Also, WNDR3700 router is an option in there (same price as the e4200 refurb).

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

grumperfish posted:

Get the WNDR3700. Love my V2 and it's been rock-solid since I bought it. All of the Linksys equipment I've worked with has been gimped or prone to overheating in some way that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm pondering getting a refurb v2 and a wnda3100v2 now, after reading reviews of the AE2500 adapter having heat issues.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

chizad posted:

Yeah, it seems like tracking down a WNDR3700v2 might be a bit tricky. I stopped by MicroCenter on my way home from work on Friday and every single WNDR3700 they had was v3 hardware. I see that the WNDR37AV is the same hardware as the WNDR3700 just in different packaging. Does it have the same hardware revision issue as the 3700, or is one of those guaranteed to be v2 hardware? And short of checking each box at local stores hoping I luck out, any suggestions on finding a WNDR3700v2?

Ebay

Im pondering getting a Trendnet TEW680MB media bridge for down stairs (I have htpc, receiver, tv, and xbox that could all plug in). It has good average speed for the location (C i think) on 5ghz with the trendnet 692 router, but i was pondering pairing with the Asus RT-N56U, since it has a good amount of throughput compared to say a wndr3700, etc. Anyone have either of the above mentioned items?