Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Ragingsheep posted:

Actually what I was thinking was if I could stick the dongle into the desktop and use it to broadcast the signal.

Yes. If it is running windows you can use ICS.

However, it is not very reliable in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Well I guess I can cross Cisco off my list for quite some time.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
It looks like cisco has already backed down on the tracking your web history, but seriously, who would buy their products after that?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Pretty cheap router today on sale. Netgear WNDR3400, refurb, 30 bucks. Good in you are in an apartment complex with a crowded 2.4 ghz spectrum.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Netgear-WND...999&PID=1225267

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Steve Yun posted:

A friend of mine discovered that his office building has unused/abandoned fiber in it. He's looking up "dark fiber" and how to use it for networking.

Anyone have any good resources on this?

I really don't understand this. Dark Fiber as in a lot of old rear end poo poo just in the walls or what?

I used to run a lot of fiber for my job. Mostly multimode stuff. My shop ran it all from the switches to the PCs. 3 different networks.

Honestly, what are yo looking to do with it? A backbone between some switches?

The big problem with fiber is that you need a kit to install it. I mostly did Hot Melts, and the connectors are 5-10 bucks EACH. And if the fiber breaks while you are polishing it, bye bye :10bux:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Chemmy posted:

I just moved into a new place that's wired with Cat 5 everywhere. I can't seem to get it to work so I'm wondering if I'm doing something stupid or what I need to do.

I attached an image and I know a bunch of you are going to say "it's obvious, you need a router" but what I'm trying to do is to just have the cable modem tied into the ICC expansion card on the wall, and then I'll plug one router (and only one) into one (and only one) of the wall jacks and go from there.

Basically I'd like it to go Cable Modem -> Through the wires in the walls -> Router that lives next to the TV and is connected to all of my components.

I googled the part number and it says it can be used for "broadband" with a switch or a hub; is that necessary if I only care if one port works at a time?

I was thinking another option would be to pull out this expansion thing and just terminate all the blue wires with regular ethernet connectors and then plug one of them into the cable modem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The biggest thing that stands out to me is the fact that the pin out appears wrong for cat5 networking on that expansion thing.

If you just want to do 100baseT, you could probably make this piece of crap work. Though I wouldn't bet my life on it.

You'd need to make a crazy crossover cable on one of the sides to use those 4 pins correctly. However, I'm not a telephone guy, so I have no idea if it's just using pins 1-4 for those. If you have a multimeter you could tone it out.

Are the blue wire normal cat5 with just 4 wires being used?

If that's true, just rip out the fucker you want to use from the telephone thing, strip it back to get all 8 wires, terminate it with a female end. (Or a male end and just buy a coupler, or plug it right into the modem) Then on the other side, do the same thing.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 2, 2012

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Le0 posted:

hey guys I'm in need of some advice. I've moved to a new appartement and I'm using internet from the cable. The thing is that the cable plug is in the living room and in the next room to it is my office where my computer will be. In the office I'd like to have a few plugs for my computer, NAS, GF laptop etc... and the cable modem is in the living room.

What kind of cable should I use to run between my cable modem to the router in the office? What kind of router would you guys recommend I have one laying around, a TRENDnet TEW-639GR, would this one do the trick?

Also my cable modem is a Thomson TWG870U given to me by my provider if it helps

You can use literally any straight-thru ethernet cable.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I don't know. You tell us. Plug your computer into your cable modem. Is it faster?

Why wouldn't this be one of the things they tell you to try?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

MustangCharlie posted:

That was actually the first thing that I tried before calling Comcast. Yes, it was much faster. A speed test showed download speed at around 20 mb/s, I believe. But that just tells me that my modem is capable of sending and receiving at a much faster speed than my computers connected to the wireless network. That didn't really surprise me though, because I assumed all wireless networks are slower than being hard wired.

So like I said above, the Comcast support person tried a few things with me with little success and then she decided I just have a bad router. I've just been a little skeptical about her assessment and I haven't had a lot of money to go out and just buy a new router to experiment with. I was hoping some of you could give me your opinions on this situation now that I have a little bit of Christmas money to play with.

It sounds like you answered your own question. You can use inssider to see if your wifi is just super congested and try a different channel. You can also see if there are any updated firmware for your router to improve it. Last ditch effort, you can also put DD-WRT on there and see if that helps.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E1500

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Chido posted:

My room is right above my sister's office in the house, and my desk is almost directly above hers, so there would be only the floor in between. You suggested earlier that a netgear 3700 or 4000 could be an option, is there anything else I would need besides the wireless router? I don't know about my sister's computer, but for the one I'm putting together, I didn't consider wireless before, so I don't know if I should buy one more piece to make it work.

I would not run wireless unless you have no other choices. If it's feasible, run some cat6 up to your room. With that short of a run, it should be very easy.

But if you choose not to go this route, any wifi card, usb or PCI will work.. I've had the 3700 for a year and a half or so and I love it. With those guys, you have the option of using a 5 GHZ option.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

sholin posted:

Is there any way to filter Skype at the router level? The router is running Tomato but the skypeout/skypetoskype application filters seem to do exactly nothing.

Block all the login servers?

dir1.sd.skype.net:9010
dir2.sd.skype.net:9010
dir3.sd.skype.net:9010
dir4.sd.skype.net:9010
dir5.sd.skype.net:9010
dir6.sd.skype.net:9010
dir7.sd.skype.net:9010
dir8.sd.skype.net:9010
http1.sd.skype.net:80
http2.sd.skype.net:80
http3.sd.skype.net:80
http4.sd.skype.net:80
http5.sd.skype.net:80
http6.sd.skype.net:80
http7.sd.skype.net:80
http8.sd.skype.net:80

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

blargle posted:

So the OP is out of date and my Buffalo router with DD-WRT isn't able to handle a 100mbit connection. Are these ASUS RT-AC66U routers basically the best option these days? I see lots of "my router died after 3 months" posts on Amazon and it's scaring me.

I've read that with the Merlin firmware they seem pretty stable, but I'm looking around myself. My WNDR3700's wifi keeps dying on me.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

kaschei posted:

You should be able to turn your old router into an overblown switch. I think all you have to do is turn off DHCP on the "switch" and make sure it uses a different IP from your new router.

Connect them LAN to LAN port. You lose 1 port from each but that's still 6 ports open rather than 4.

If you run DD-WRT, you can use the WAN port as another lan port, so you only lose 1 port.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Completely weird question.

I've been running an openvpn server from my synology for quite some time. But now for some reason, now my laptop refuses to connect to it... with the LAN port. Over wifi, it works fine. However, on the LAN I can ssh to it fine.

Like this is a recent issue, within the last few days. I'm kinda stuck on where I should even troubleshoot. I've tried to reinstall openvpn, same issue. I'm away at work staying in a place with wired/wireless internet, but I can't really poke around on their stuff.

Like my tablet and cell phone connect to it without any issue, over wifi.

The LAN connection just times out. I even reinstalled the openvpn server on the synology just in case.

This is what I get in the log file.

Wed Sep 04 18:23:46 2013 OpenVPN 2.2.2 Win32-MSVC++ [SSL] [LZO2] [PKCS11] built on Dec 15 2011
Wed Sep 04 18:23:54 2013 IMPORTANT: OpenVPN's default port number is now 1194, based on an official port number assignment by IANA. OpenVPN 2.0-beta16 and earlier used 5000 as the default port.
Wed Sep 04 18:23:54 2013 WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled. See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for more info.
Wed Sep 04 18:23:54 2013 NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
Wed Sep 04 18:23:54 2013 LZO compression initialized
Wed Sep 04 18:23:54 2013 UDPv4 link local (bound): [undef]:1194
Wed Sep 04 18:23:54 2013 UDPv4 link nremote: 68.X.X.X:1194
Wed Sep 04 18:24:54 2013 TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
Wed Sep 04 18:24:54 2013 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
Wed Sep 04 18:24:54 2013 SIGUSR1[soft,tls-error] received, process restarting

What's even worse is I'm in a country that blocks the word OpenVPN! I get a giant pink screen of doom whenever I google something their country wouldn't like.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Tab8715 posted:

The OP hasn't been updated in forever - what the hell do I buy?

I always consult http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

Another week and the newest ASUS is out for the top of the line stuff.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm loving my nighthawk router.

Only thing I don't love is the OpenVPN server isn't compatible with Android right now. I posted this on Amazon, and someone said my "review wasn't helpful" even though Netgear's own configuration page says it doesn't work with Android. They also said it worked for them fine.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there no way to reduce the power on a netgear router for the wifi signal? I can get it all the way to my parking lot, but enough to connect and not do anything with.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Michael Corleone posted:

Hey dudes, I picked up a computer from a guy on Craigslist today and he was showing me some magic. Basically it is something you plug into your power outlets and makes them act as ethernet cables and a set of 2 is only 20 bux. If only I remembered what they were called, anyone know what I'm talking about?

Powerline networking.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

EconOutlines posted:

Silly networking question but I've never worked with it before. Can you network a WiFi connection like a hardwired one? For example, I have a Comcast modem-->Router-->NAS/HTPC/etc currently. The new building I'm moving into has about 10mbps Wifi down for free, even in your apartment, so slower speeds for a $70/month savings. I could care less about internet speeds, just so that I can keep my Router-->NAS/HTPC hardwired with ethernet when I watch movies or TV. Can I pull the Wifi and distribute it/keep my same network setup as before?

Yes. It's usually called Client mode. You may have to run dd-wrt or tomato on your router though to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
For those powerline kits? How do they pair? I'm assuming you need a few physical port on your router for every pair you have? Or is it some sort of magic?