Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I have an 8 year old modem, a Motorola Surfboard basically this thing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122011

It doesn't have the wireless capabilities, but otherwise that's it. I know that for any piece of hardware, 8 years is a long time to be running constantly, but it hasn't given us any significant issues in all this time. Is it time to change it out for something newer?

I'm not sure what information would be necessary to help make a determination, but I'll provide whatever is needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Devian666 posted:

It really depends on your requirements. If you don't feel any need to change there's no reason to change. Most of us have changed routers and/or modems due to having issues with our existing hardware.

However, if you want wireless coverage and gigabit network speeds between devices on your network then adding a router may be interest (but you would still keep the cable modem as you are not have issues with it).

Actually, we replaced the router about three months ago with a higher-end device recommended in the OP of this thread, and it solved most all of our home network problems, which is why I started looking at the modem itself to see if there was any potential in replacing it, given it's my single oldest piece of hardware now.

quote:

Unless your isp has upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 -AND- you upgrade to a plan that needs it, as long as that modem is fine, theres no reason to replace it. what isp do you have?

I'm subscribed to Cox, and am currently paying for their top tier service that includes DOCSIS 3.0. Home internet usage is pretty high with two gaming computers, one office computer, an XBox on wireless, iPad, and 2-3 laptops running at any given time with heavy use of online gaming and video streaming.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Devian666 posted:

You do have rather heavy usage and with your subscription you should get a significant increase in bandwidth by upgrading your cable modem. Going from DOCSIS 2.0 to 3.0 is potentially a large leap in performance.

Fair enough, I'll make it happen. Thanks for the help.