Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
Okay guys, I have finially got Broadband in my new house, rather than using my mobile broadband dongle. It is all working great on my girlfriends laptop, using her wireless card. On my home build desktop however, it's a different story. I am using a wired connection with the integrated Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. I couldn't get a connection at all for ages, with Windows 7 not recognising an ethernet cable being connected. I reinstalled the drivers and then it started working, great! 30 minutes later it completely died again. Then whenever I do manage to get Windows to recognise a cable connected, it hangs on identifying network. Also of note is when the cable isn't recognised, the LED on the socket is not on either, despite the cable definately being connected correctly.

By changing the device setting for "Speed and Duplex" to 100mbps/Half Duplex it seems to be staying connected, I was wondering if that is going to be a good enough fix or should I be wanting the setting to go back onto auto-negotiation?

If it messes up again I think I might just have to go out and get myself a wireless adaptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making

Triikan posted:

That sounds like a bad cable. Possibly a bad port on the router or your ethernet device, but I'm betting cable.

I tried the cable out on my girlfriends laptop and it worked fine, and I have tried all the ports on the router. From what I can find on the internet it seems to be something with the network card... Just can't work out what :(. The connection seems to be okayish now. It drops out every hour or so just to reconnect pretty much straight away. Pretty poo poo when it happens when playing anything online.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making

Triikan posted:

That sounds like a bad cable. Possibly a bad port on the router or your ethernet device, but I'm betting cable.

Well turns out you are right! I was runnning out of options so I went and grabbed another ethernet cable from town, since I need one for my 360, and yeah the internet it working absolutely fine now. Looks like the cable that BT sent me was faulty. Useless wankers!

Cheers for the help.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
So my connection has gone from 3meg down to 1.5 meg after the connection dropped when I plugged my new phone into the filter socket. Any idea why this may of happened? I have only had the line for about 3 days, so maybe they are still doing stuff at the exchange? Just hoping it isn't going to settle at 1.5meg.

Pogue_Mahone fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 6, 2011