Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys, I'm looking into blowing some money and trying out ubiquiti. Most of the online reviews about the unifi Pro is great, but how about the TOUGHSWITCH 8port POE or the 3 port (too bad it's only 3 port in the market) EDGE MAX router?

Anyone here tried them? I also want to buy a server/nas/gamehosting/transcode box and stick 6 3TB drives in them with 2dual intel NICs. By using link aggregation I should be able to host parties and not worry about streaming to a bunch of devices right?

If everything runs great then I will move into phase 2 aka neckbeard's dream come true.

Which is getting the "supposedly" a pair airfiber units pointed to my sister's house so that we can all have a private network of fast file transfers. This is ridiculous enough but does anyone here know anything about aggregating multi ISP connections? What if each house had separate 1000Mbs fiber and networked together? Does that mean we can have even faster download speeds and lower ping times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

Cheers - after I posted this I asked in WoL jabber as well and got similar advice. Ordered a linksys E4200 and a dual band USB wireless adaptor as well so will see what happens with them. Appreciate the reply!

I don't know what's wrong but when I flashed DDWRT to the router I could not connect through PPoE. It was really weird but once I went back to stock everything was OK again. Did it a couple times but still no luck :iiam:

And somehow stock firmware has trouble recognizing my canon pixma USB printer

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hello I tried browsing the sub forum but I have trouble finding the switch thread. Nowadays with people getting faster and faster internet connections, ipcams/baby cams, streaming home servers, multiple connections and what not does anyone know a good switch recommendation?

Thanks. How's this cisco SF300-10MP?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Guessing he meant the SG300-10MP, and yeah, that's definitely overkill. For nearly everyone in this thread a dumb unmanaged gigabit switch is more than fast enough and is almost never the actual limiting factor in throughput, so a managed switch should easily be able to handle anything you toss at it.

I'm sorry for being clueless :ohdear: I just want to run a freeNas/server with LAGG in my home with LACP support :qq: I'm paying $40 usd for a 1000 Mb/s fiber connection at home and just want to maximize my connection.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi there, I got a 3 pack of the Ubiquiti AP- Pro. Does anyone know where I can find a floor plan maker? And from what I have read, is the ubiquiti Power of Ethernet non standard IEEE 802.3af ? If someone can clarify this that would be great. Hopefully I can just buy any PoE switch, and if someone has a recommendation on a managed swtich with PoE that would be great!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Gism0 posted:

yeah they come with an adaptor, but if you want a switch the ubiquiti ToughSwitch PoE Pro is decent!

edit: also looking for a simple floor plan maker, my mspaint job isn't good enough :D

Thanks so much! I'm definitely looking into getting one. Any luck with the new Edge router lite? seems like it's a good combo.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Goons I'm looking to get a 8port PoE gigabit ethernet switch, I don't live in USA so I don't get awesome Amazon products and shipping, however I may be able to get direct factory access because of my geographical location. Does this look legit for 50 USD?

http://nufiber.en.alibaba.com/product/1210807834-219305820/gigabit_8_port_poe_switch_with_professional_factory.html

And does this look like an unbadged netgear?

http://www.everychina.com/f-z51f75ad/p-92190448-1000mbps_poe_switch_ps1080.html

Inspector_71 posted:

Here's the deal with residential internet access (this isn't always the case, but I am going to assume it is since you're posting about it):

You are assigned one (1) IP address from your ISP. When you modem turns on, it responds to the first DHCP request and assigns that IP. Anything else that connects is going to simply not receive an address. This is the reason you want your order to be Modem > Router > Everything Else, because you always want your router to be getting that WAN IP. You can put a switch in front, but it means that every time your modem restarts for whatever reason, you are going to have to make sure that the only thing looking for an IP address is your router. This will usually mean unplugging whatever else is connected to the switch and power cycling the modem and probably router.

If you're OK with that, then it should get the job done. I, personally, wouldn't want to deal with it unless my modem, router and the switch were all next to each other, in which case the entire thing is pointless anyway.

EDIT: I am assuming in all of this that your internet connection doesn't require any authentication like PPPoE or anything.

What if your internet connection requires PPPoE? Can you technically have your modem connect to your switch and then route from your switch to your router because of house wiring constraints? With some magical routing rules and switching rules, is it doable? I'm just curious.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
That home projects sounds awesome! Please take more photos and keep us goons updated.

For hardware, I recommend Power Over Ethernet (PoE) switches. If you can spend, maybe try getting Ubiquiti toughswitch PRO (8 port Gigabit PoE)

http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax#toughswitch

And then lace your home with their Unifi-Ap Pro's . Apparently, there's the new ac version but it seems to be still immature from the small net builder review.

You can also get a whole bunch of PoE IP cams.
A Nest thermostat
cisco iphone with extension lines
Automated electrical doors with motion sensor (networked of course)
And the usual Media server/NAS
A lot more!

Can you make a simple floor plan of your house?

I also recommend having a central hub in the basement or somewhere to stash all your computer hardware, and allocate extra space in the second floor for an auxiliary command post.

caberham fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 17, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just got this from the mail!

Too bad all electrical plugs are American style plugs :smith:

Can't wait to take this thing home and try it out! And I will probably rip my hair out trying to configure things

MMD3 posted:

I'd definitely love to have 1 or 2 nests (need to look into how well they interplay with each other)
I can't see us needing a VOIP phone
can't think of a reason we'd need automated electrical doors
media server is something I'd definitely like to build... currently I have a DROBO 5-bay drive but unfortunately I made the mistake of picking up the eSATA/USB3 version rather than the NAS version.

I'll try to draw up a floorplan soon, it's a pretty small footprint though, LR/DR/Kitchen/Bath/Bed (will be office) on main floor, 2xBed on 2nd floor, will be remodeled to a master bedroom with a bathroom and larger closet, laundry room, den (with wetbar) and garage in basement.

The cool thing with VOIP phones is that they allow address book integration, so you can use your computer to sync address books and make calls. Long distance calling costs are also much cheaper and with a VOIP phones you can have better call logging, auto mated messaging system and other fancy things. It's like e-mail functionality for your house phone. The coolest thing is the is having a up to date filter for those annoying junk calls!

Electrical doors are cool because again, you can have entry logs, issue guest passes and temporary guest codes (think couch surfers or house parties), and link up with your Ipcam.

All these things can turn an average home into a awesome goon base. Anyways, draw those plans out and have the forums dictate your network layout!

highme posted:

If you need plans drawn for the remodel I can hook you up for a couple pairs of kicks.

I'm sorry I don't understand this line :(

caberham fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 19, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
sorry double post

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo what did I get myself into. Well, I suppose this is my weekend pet project :suicide: I just wanted a router with POE ports and this is takes time to figure out. This is like learning how to snowboard on a blue run instead of doing it on the bunny hill. Even if you know how to do basic PPoE and disable DHCP, there's waaaaaay more. But I really look foward to this.

The POE router looks great, but isn't compatible with the unifi AP right out of the box. I need to go out and buy a 48V ac adapter. Granted it was written in the website with an * :downs:

caberham fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 19, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the links!, I tried the basic Vyatta tutorial and it's really good hand holding starter exercise. Different piecemeal pdfs without looking like a mega manual, nice! Unfortunately, when I tried to make a user called root and another password, the router won't let me log in. Is it probably linux being linux? root is a very very special name and implies super user?

I managed to get UAP working with the tough switch by turning on POE, but I was referring to my 5por EDGEMAX POE router. Its default packaging is a 24v ac adapter. It's a minor gripe because once I go find myself a 48v adapter, I should be able to power other UAP devices with the router in addition to the switch.

I messed up initial configuration and had to hard rest twice, and reload the config files a bunch of times. Right now I'm loading other people's config files and cross referencing with the CLI wiki. This whole process feels like I'm playing a roguelike - home networking version.

My only advice is for stupid newbies like me is to start this in the morning at the beginning of the day when your brain is not so fried. Even when I connect the tough switch to the router, I have to set explicit permissions. On the face of things, this router seems to be very specific. Using the command line to even change the password and user settings is kind of fun.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Gism0 posted:

I broke my config quite a few times and found resetting it to be a huge pain in the rear end.. especially since I use 10.0.0.0/24 and changed the port assignments :/

The process involved resetting it using the little switch (multiple times just be be sure), plugging in an ancient windows laptop (the only left with ethernet), manually setting it to 192.168.1.whatever and and praying the web interface would respond. Maybe I was doing something wrong or that laptop is to blame, or perhaps I got a dodgy unit.. who knows, hopefully I won't break it again :D

But yeah my config is super simple:

code:
eth0: WAN via DHCP from a cable modem
eth1 + eth2: LAN
br0: Bridged eth1 and eth2 and assigned 10.0.0.1/24 (with DHCP and DNS servers listening)

Thanks for the links, I tried combing through the SOHO exmaple, but everything is still not clicking for me. I can muck around the settings and make small commits here and there, but I'm still lost in terms of theory and what I need to set up for my house.

I'm using PPPOE for my internet provider. So far I have
Automatiaclly assign the address of Eth1 (for wan) by dhcp
Configure eth1 as dhcp-server, pppoe
I need to set a subnet and a range. However, I'm not exactly sure what the DNS server should be.
Set up NAT so that devices inside the LAN can reach outside
I think I probably need to set up DNS forwarding as well

Firewall rules (i'm not even there yet).

If you got any pointers that would be great. I'm trying to learn how to do things line by line or at least mimic the sample config files line by line to understand the "bigger picture"

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

SamDabbers posted:

I'M REALLY AWESOME

I'll walk you through configuring the EdgeRouter to work similarly to a typical consumer router, for a residential ISP using PPPoE. I have the 3-port EdgeRouter, not the 5-port PoE version, so my config will be missing a couple interfaces compared to yours, but the concepts all still apply and you can substitute ethX for ethY however you want.

For the purposes of this tutorial, I'll set it up as follows:
  • eth0 => LAN
  • eth1 => WAN (PPPoE)
  • eth2 => Unused

We're not done yet, though, because we haven't set up the firewall. I'll walk through that in another post, since this one is already way too long.

Thank you very very much! I was reading the Vyatta docs the last night and when I came back I found this lovely post. The documentation explains a lot and meshes everything together, for instance why 192.168, or use 172. etc. I'm still not sure why EdgeOS is insistent on NAT rules starting from 5000 and up but I will take it from there.

I'm tinkering on my own for some more, and I was trying to fiddle around with the ethernet ports and the remote login ssh. Setting up a static-host name and connecting to the host name was pretty fun (should I be doing this?). My attempts to change login were unsuccessful though :( I did

pre:
set service ssh listen-address 192.168.1.2
set interfaces ethernet eth2 192.168.1.2
Trying to ssh or https at eth2 doesn't connect. What am I missing? Right now switching ports for WAN or LAN is insignificant, I really really appreciate your help!

There is one thing I really want to do and that is switch the layout of the ports around into

• eth0 => WAN (PPPoE)
  • eth1 => guest WLAN
  • eth2 => LAN
  • eth3 => LAN (otherside of the house)
  • eth4 => WLAN

Should I be bridging the connections or switching eth2-eth4? I found documentation on bridging lan but not much luck into switch. And if I want my wireless devices in the future for streaming video or files, which should I use?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thank you so much again! Yesterday, instead of actually learning about firewalls, I was caught up reading on more trivial matters and spent all day long trying to find a 48v for my unifo AP PRO's.

SamDabbers posted:

I'm going to diverge a bit from the "basic SOHO config" on the Ubiquiti Forums and walk through configuring the zone-based firewall on EdgeOS, rather than the ACL-based one. The zone-based firewall scheme becomes beneficial when you have 3 or more interfaces with different firewall policies.

Let's pick up from where we left off and set up our third interface as a Guest network. It'll be configured similar to the LAN network (DHCP, DNS forwarding enabled), but we'll prevent it from communicating with the protected LAN when we set up the firewall.

Would these changes be in conflict with the unifi controller to set up guest networks? Man I just want to use vyattaEdgeOS and CLI everything. I just set up some policies and did some more reading on zone firewall. Would you recommend setting up VLAN and just narrow down access control through that?

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything and ended up doing other things.I really appreciate what you have written up and made a network topology diagram through draw.io

Since I'm just a network newbie, I can make silly flow charts and diagrams to explain DHCP server and DHCP relay, DNS fowarding, DNS server set up, PPPoE. I wanted to go and get myself a cisco compatible serial --> usb console but there's a big typhoon so all the shops are closed.

Perhaps we can add all this to the OP in the future. Thanks again for answering about switches and bridges. I kind of suspected the answer, that's why the OP insist on getting a separate switch instead of MY CISCO ROUTER WITH A BAJILLION PORTS CAN.... Still, I was looking forward to reducing physical foot print and just have a Edgerouter POE powering differing devices. Oh well.

Just a few quick questions, A lot of the configuration files have people insisting on using Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, would you do the same and use google DNS or Open DNS?

Also, what's your opinion on jumbo frames and setting MTU 9000? I tried setting MTU 9000 for jumbo frames but it seems like my internal transfer speeds haven't really been pushed to the limit even though I have SSD's and intel NIC's. My Edgerouter crapped out on me when i initialized my LAN traffic to MTU 9000, but now it seems to have calmed down and works.

How about Universal Plug and Play? Is it really insecure like what news reports are saying? I have a network printer and Synology NAS, should I just forgot UPnP and just learn how things work?

EdgeOS is really fun. When i tried SSHing to my ToughswitchPOE, it doesn't seem to be as well featured and intuitive like EdgePOE. I suppose if I learn more about the OS in the future I can also set up redirect portals and automatic VPN connections if I go to American websites like hulu and netflix right?

caberham fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 22, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Is your network topology like this?

I would avoid setting up a wireless bridge as that would cut your wireless speed by half. If you want a new access point, plug the new AP into your old router through regular ethernet cable. Disable DHCP on your new access point and it should work a charm.

There should only be one DHCP server and usually it's your router.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys quick network theory question about DHCP subnets. Why set the ip addresses of access points outside the scope of the DHCP subnet? For an example, if the range starts at 192.168.1.100 and ends at 192.168.1.149, Why do I need to set the ip address of my secondary routers to 192.168.1.2 when ubiquiti AP devices can be within the scope? What conflict occurs when the AP is within the scope of DHCP subnet even though the AP has no DHCP function?

RFX posted:

Can anyone help me make my Xbox 360 and router play nice? We have some Apple Time Capsule thing, and though my Xbox can connect, it fails to do so automatically. If I make it scan for wireless networks it suddenly finds the network and connects, but on my old router it would always connect to wifi automatically. Google searches haven't led me to anyone with tips or the same problem. Any help would be appreciated (unless there is another thread/forum more suitable for this question).

I'm no expert butI can give a try, but can you make a picture on https://www.draw.io/ ? What kind of wired/wireless connections are you using? So the xbox not playing nice with your current router but works with your old router?

Fastbreak posted:

Awesome, I will check them out. Thanks for the info. I will search the thread for ubiquiti, but any one in paticular that stands out.

Ubiquiti front is really easy to set up, but the back end and power over ethernet (PoE) needs some careful planning. I would recommend powerline ethernet for your home if you just want something quick and simple. Set up the ubiquiti system and all sorts of other stuff when you do a renovation or move house.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The major question I suppose, is do you really want the new Draft ac standard? Do you have any new apple macbooks? If not the asus- rtn16 is good. It doesn't break the bank, solid antennas, and goons in the thread have recommended it. I have it as well and it's easy to flash into other firmwares.

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN16/

Honestly, regular firmware on your generic router works fine enough for the average user. Set it, and forget it. To me the rest of the details are more for hobbyists.

But if you are into customization and learn something new for the afternoon then just slowly go through this thread or read more about tomato-usb. It's fun and I think it's handy to know more about basic networking concepts as well. Nowadays everyone needs to set up wifi, different devices, NAS, VPN routing to home etc... Going to a friend's house to set up an access point is pretty satisfying. You can set silly wifi SSID's!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you are into setting channels for MAXIMUM output get this wifi analyzer app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

Technically speaking, I think people want you to set channels 1, 6, and 9/13 but when everyone does then the benefits are moot and you get signal degradation. If you have a non USA router or want to break FCC rules there are routers for channel 14 out in the grey market.

Just be careful about setting MAXIMUM ULTRA POWER ANTENNA because you don't want your signal to be too strong and cause interference. I don't know the exact technical details but from what I have read, you want your own isolated channel for "a cleaner signal". Oh and you also don't want to draw too much extra power and fry your router but nowadays that case is a bit rare.

If you do care about streaming media and skype, you can set QoS (quality of service) and give priority to certain traffic. For instance you can be downloading a bajillion :files: but once you are streaming PLEX your router can prioritize traffic. (I'm still learning QoS)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm using a Edge Router PoE and I don't recommend it. Get the generic EdgeRouter and a toughswitch instead.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Gordian posted:

Finally got my homebarracks network setup how I kinda-sorta want it.

The HP N54L is running ESXi btw. I'm still trying to decide what else I want to throw on it. Probably going to setup FreeNAS tomorrow.

Cool system setup! Man I wish I have some of your technical know how. How do you set up security onion? Is it under another VM in your HP 54L? Oh and since you want recommendations, I suggest xbmc/plex/subsonic media centre.

I just googled on security onion, it seems to be interesting. Do you have any guides on basic networking security? Some goon helped me out on setting a Ubiquiti basic zone firewall. Using command line interface is fun, but setting up a Intrusion detection system seems fun

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Host VPN is goon run. First month costs 2 pennies

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yes that would be helpful too. I'm learning as well. From what I have read you either need ldap or Microsoft active directory set up to authenticate users.

And to do that you got to edit some server file with lists of users? I'm just reading and haven't done much aside from installing zentyal.

I really want a central server for different boxes to sign on and share filez.

Or when I get a new gaming computer my documents is still intact

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

CuddleChunks posted:

Every platform is different, every single device has its own quirks and stupid settings. Go buy a CompTIA Network+ certification book and work through that and it will give you both the broad overview of networking as well as specifics that should apply to Windows and other platforms (with a little modification).

Here, try this: http://www.home-network-help.com/

Thanks for the heads up. I will probably learn CompTIA Network+ on a snail's pace. I like to learn and set up my HOME GOON BASE. Heck, if I already bought an EdgeRouter and I might as well learn about setting my own firewalls, etc.

Quick question, LDAP is used for agnostic network logins?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
From what I have read in past thread. When n was fancy.

Mixed broadcasting network protocols shits the bed. Better use different routers for g and n. Probably another one (ugh) for ac.

Different ssid and channels as well

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Boner Wad posted:

I recently moved from an apartment to a house and my Time Capsule WiFi doesn't reach the whole house with decent strength. Should I just put up another access point with the same SSID?

This works, remember to turn off DHCP on your other Access point.

quote:

From what I heard, clients will stay connected to whichever AP they started with unless they disconnect. That won't happen.

Pretty much, from what I know wifi clients do not know how to "jump" to a stronger signal and handoff to another SSID unless...

quote:

I've heard some access points can pass clients between themselves when they work together. I'm on a tight budget so I don't want to go crazy here.

You use some enterprise level wifi. The cheapest prosumer model out there is the Ubiquiti Unifi N. It proclaims "zero handoff" between different SSID's.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Anyone here have any links or resources for learning more about basic Active Directory?

I just want to have a server storing different computer's private profiles and data. That way, I can buy new machines/reformat computers without much hassle setting everything up

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I will be moving to a new apartment and would love to create : project goon cave in the sky. I plan to set up a whole bunch of techno gadget poo poo all over the house and make a thread in SH/SC. Oh and I appreciate all the help and will probably throw in Amazon gift coupons/charity donations in the name of goons.

Hey thanks for the heads up, I knew I was stepping into computer hell. Maybe when I commit suicide I will see Steve Job on the other side greeting me with "Bonjour" :downsrim: But right now, without having a central network, I feel like I'm dying by a thousand paper cuts.

I briefly looked into Windows Home Server wikipedia article and the features seems like the perfect fit for me
  • Less than 25 computers
  • multiple users
  • centralized backup of and centralizing "My Documents“
  • New gaming machine hardware will have old user data/configs
  • Music streaming I'm glad there's spotify premium
  • movie streaming - I don't live in US so no netflix. Probably will pay for Plex (my family needs subtitle streaming for movies)
  • remote access gateway

Features not officially listed in WHS 2011

• Different VLANs for ipcameras/guest wifi access/main wifi access/wired internet access
  • Guest wifi landing page is :goatsecx:
  • RADIUS authentication
  • Agnostic system, recognizes well with ipads/linux/windows/android with some sort of LDAP or whatever protocol
  • ipcamera tinkering, and syncing with my electronic door
  • a bajillion sensors for SMART HOME :pipedream:
  • in the future, I will have 1000M fibre to home, and if I do get a NAS, might as well build + host my own showcase website with a few photos/videos/links/portal/calendar - a modern geocities
  • If I bring a laptop for vacation it syncs my important files on it and photos saved in the laptop will integrate back into my central Lightroom catalog

That's basically what I can think of the top of my head. I do use keypass and dropbox sync with pidgin but I'm just trying to do more things. From what I read in this forum, some goons will tell me to just stick with windows, some say LDAP is ok, and everyone tells me to shoot myself :suicide:

caberham fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 11, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Le0 posted:

A few months ago I had the good idea to ditch my router/cable modem and instead use of these all in one lovely box that my cable provider started carrying.
Obviously it's crap beyond belief and I can hardly configure network related stuff.

Now I'd like to use Netflix USA with Chromecast from Switzerland and in order to do that I apparently need a router with DD-WRT on it.
Could anyone recommend me a router that would fit this bill? (Are routers recommended by UndyingShadow possible?)

On my network I have:
- A zotac with wire connection to the router
- Laptop GIRLFRIEND on wifi
- My Laptop on wifi
- both our phones on wifi
- My computer in another room with wire connection
- NAS in another room with wire connection

I was thinking of getting my provider cable modem then connect that to a router then a cable going to the other room with a switch there to connect my desktop computer and NAS.
Would that be a correct way of doing it?

DD-WRT is not mandatory, but yeah it's fun to use. Do you mean running a VPN for your Chromecast because Netflix does not allow broadcasts to non US IP addressses?

Yeah, what you listed is the way to set up your internet.

DD-WRT is not mandatory for out of country Netflix broadcasts, you probably just need a VPN. DD-WRT does allow you to set up VPN routing though. As for router models, yeah check a few pages back

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, question about static IP for home devices like printers/nas/laptops/etc. Which is the best way?

1. Router set static IP, device auto
2. Device set static IP, router auto
3. BOTH

I think they all work, but in terms of best practices, which method is the best? I think Router setting static IP is the easiest because that way I don't have to go to every single device and mess with software resets and changes. But do software play well with static IP through the router?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the fast response! Going to static bind MAC addresses. I just found out my Synology NAS "user friendly" software doesn't allow DHCP, oh well guess that's the exception.

Le0 posted:

Thanks for the feedback.
As I understand the thing with chromecast is that you cannot change the DNS address on it, it always uses Google ones. In order to be able to use a VPN directly from the chromecast you have to redirect traffic from the chromecast to another address by using the following routing rules.

code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -j DNAT –to-destination 208.122.23.22
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -j DNAT –to-destination 208.122.23.23

:tviv:

They force Google DNS? drat. Sometimes I'm in China and the internet there hates google. This question might be a bit home theatre orienteated, but I guess you use the Zotac and stream your hentai movies through the chrome cast? Is it working well and is the smart phone remote app nice?

caberham fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 23, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't really matter. You would probably play with the settings once, and then leave everything in dust.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yeah having same ssid messes things up. If you want roaming around the house with zero handoff try ubquiti. Their n series are good but newer ac models don't have zero hand off

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

havenwaters posted:

I have a question. If I plug a second wireless router into the first one so I can extend my WiFi range can a computer connected via an ethernet cable to the second router reach the internet? Do I set the second router as a bridge or something?

Wired internet can basically daisy chain without much hassle.

What you want to do is set your second router as an AP, access point. Turn off dhcp in your second router, and set up a new wifi network name to avoid conflict.

Or buy ubquiti unifi N series for seamless roaming

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You need a PC to initially set the control software as far as I know.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh no, I thought you rather be on a isolated channel with a bit of of interference instead of the usual super saturated ones?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Coxswain Balls posted:

You're just increasing the amount of networks that can potentially interfere with your own, and vice-versa. A wireless broadcast isn't transmitting at full power 24/7, so even though your network is fully overlapping with the other people in channel 1, that's only going to be a huge problem when you and the other people in channel 1 are actively and heavily using the connection at the same time.

In the picture I posted above, if you were in channel 1, you'd only have to worry about the three or four other people who are also in channel 1 using their connection at the same time. If you're the guy in channel 3, then you've doubled the amount of networks that can potentially mess up your own when they use their connections.

Ohhhhhhh I see, man someone should update the OP and put this in. I'm not a super pro at all, but I'm willing to at least write some comprehensive OP and make some diagrams about re-occurring things like setting up an extra access point, and basic wifi.

LorneReams posted:

I have a WRT54GL (flashed with Tomato) that I bought a while ago and I think is dying. I read the OP, and it says that this router isn't the go to anymore, but there is no date assoicated with the suggested choices, so I'm unsure if these choices are still relevant.

After all that, quick question...what's the best router to get? My internet speed is like 3/1.5MB (25/10), and I have like 5-7 wireless devices with 2-4 of them pulling data at any one time. Will be located in the left corner of the house, so wall penetration will be important. All one floor though.

It seems like I buy a new router every 8 years or so, so I want the best since it should last a while. I saw one that looks like an upgrade to my current router (WRT19900AC), but am unsure if it's any good.

Just looking for some quick advice. Thanks!

Last few pages people mention either the net gear one or apple.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So I'm looking into zero hand off for AC wireless. Heard of Aruba and did some basic research, it seems that I need to purchase an additional controller. And the cost of and access point

http://www.amazon.com/Aruba-Networks-AP-225-Wireless-Access/dp/B00EQGGA1C/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1414859623&sr=8-6&keywords=aruba

:suicide:

gently caress, guess I'm stuck with ubiquiti

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

Don't screw around with zero handoff. It's not worth the pain factor involved. Just let your client device choose the strongest (nearest) ap instead.

I'm in Japan at the moment but when I get back I can put some time into a wifi 101 post or something.

But... But... I want guest portal, RADIUS authentication, and all these things :smith:

Nevermind, I will just make multiple SSID with different AP's then. Where abouts in Japan are you? Met some Japan gooooooons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

Don't screw around with zero handoff. It's not worth the pain factor involved. Just let your client device choose the strongest (nearest) ap instead.

I'm in Japan at the moment but when I get back I can put some time into a wifi 101 post or something.

Are you back yet?