Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I can't find the old post your spectrum thread, so I figure this is my next best bet. Just moved into a new place recently and am going to get my network up and running shortly (internet coming tomorrow, probably am going to do a few drops from the attic, along with cable (this place was wired by an rear end in a top hat). I decided to take a peek at whats going on in the airwaves...

I only use wireless for laptops that are used for surfing the interwebs, but jeez, and the 5ghz band is completely empty. I have checked a few times, depending on where I am in my townhome, I have seen up to 21 APs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Could really care less. Most of the people on here who are not mouth-breathers already know where I am from. I also learned a lesson from not blacking out things.

edit: my drunk posts blow, not sure why I blacked those out.

Moey fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 19, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

WastedJoker posted:

I know zero about modems.

If you have cable internet, this is the standard go-to choice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122015

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Comcast finally decided to show up to hook up cable at my new place.

Now I just gotta replace my aging WRT54g.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Shaocaholica posted:

Why would you want an aftermarket modem over the one they give you? Performance?

DOCIS 3.0 allows you to break through the 42mbit barrier that caps DOCSIS 2.0

Also since DOCSIS 3.0 supports multiple channels, I have heard of people getting a good amount higher of bandwidth than what they are paying for (not true for everyone, but I am getting higher speeds than I am paying for).

Another benefit is I trust my own hardware, I don't want to use their leased stuff. Comcast also charges like 7 bucks a month to rent a modem, the SB 6121 was only like $83 shipped, it also makes sense that it will pay for itself.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SamDabbers posted:

The cable modem downloads a configuration file from the cable network that includes the speed details of your subscription tier. All the throttling is done in the modem itself, and while it is theoretically possible to override the cable company's config file, there are some particular features in the DOCSIS protocol that, if implemented properly, make it very difficult/nearly impossible to do so.

In many of the reviews for the SB 6120 and 6121 people are reporting that they are easily exceeding their speed tiers. I myself can confirm that as well. I have no idea the logistic behind it, but I will not complain.

Just snagged the Asus RT-N16 from Newegg (thanks jkyuusai), now its time to do some ethernet drops around my place.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

klosterdev posted:

Just a heads up to anyone who cares, the E3000 is currently only $70 on Amazon for however long this lasts.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys...95672652&sr=1-1

Ordered one myself, time to replace my old WRT54G.

Same price currently on Newegg if you prefer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124388

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I have been very happy with my RT-N16 running Tomato firmware for the past few years (non dual band though).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

lazydog posted:

Shibby's Tomato has been working great for me.

I am running this as well. Have a few different VLANs setup for internet, lab and public facing stuff. Been rock solid.

Touchfuzzy posted:

Is there a widely-accepted useful guide or wiki or something with Shibby's Tomato stuff? Because I can't find a drat thing on his site.

I found it all pretty straight forward. What are you looking to do?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Palladium posted:

As long as the two ends share the exact same wiring layout it doesn't matter one bit.

:science: It will increase interference. Those standards are there for a reason. 99% of the time it will work without issue though.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Inspector_666 posted:

You should just be able to plug it into the router and use it like you used to. The LAN didn't change, just your internet connection.

I think he is saying that their DSL line was connected to the Linksys router, now they are directly connecting to the aircard (wifi only device). I'll take a stab that all 3 of the PCs were using wifi before, and the printer is the wired device that is now left out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

So you already have a firewall and router in place? A simple access point will get this done for you. Although if this is a corporate network, they will probably get furious with you for plugging a device into their network.

This will be overkill for your situation, but will work well. If you have an old wireless router, you could turn it into an access point as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B004XXMUCQ

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

kid sinister posted:

currently I just got some old wired Linksys router at this location because Centurytel only gave us a modem for this location. We're a franchise business, so it's on us what we hook up to our connection. Should I just swap out the old wired router for a wifi one, or should I go to the trouble to make the new wifi router to be the new edge router, then leave the old wired router with its firewall in place for the old network devices to protect all of them? Somehow I doubt I'll get a bunch of punks trying to hack the wifi to get into the network of a hair salon.

I checked my parts bin and I'm all out of old routers, that's why I asked. Eh, maybe I should upgrade at home to that Asus RT-N66U so that I'd have 2 spares to dole out.

Are you running a credit card machine over this internet connection as well?

How about grabbing a newer midrange Asus wireless router and replacing the existing one. For your wireless, make it isolated from your wired network and password protected for these chromebooks.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CuddleChunks posted:

My personal experience with them is that for general use they are handy, especially if you have a solid gigabit network in the office. Remember that all the crap data your users stuff into their profile has to get synced back to the server every time they log off.

Folder Redirection > Roaming Profiles

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Looks like I've got Blast! Internet Service as best I can tell. Their speed test shows I'm getting around 33Mbps and it sounds like Blast caps out around 100? Guess I might be hitting the modem's cap then and I could stand to upgrade? What's a good modem to pick up that will support DOCSIS 3 then?

You would be fine with any of the recent ARRIS/Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 models. I have been using the SB6140 for years now without problem. That was replaced by the 6141. If you want to do some future proofing, you could try and get the new 6183 if you can find it in stock for a decent price ($130 when Amazon has stock).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Tossing out a link to help. That modular panel is good if you are running different stuff through it (coax, copper, fiber).

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=105&cp_id=10514&cs_id=1051401&p_id=7253&seq=1&format=2

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

dakana posted:

So Ubiquiti's Unifi system says that all of the APs have to be on the same layer 2 network. Does this mean that each AP has to go directly to the same switch before it hits a router, or can they go through intermediate switches? E.g.,

AP1 --> Switch --> MainSwitch --> Router
AP2 --> Switch --> MainSwitch --> Router
AP3 --> MainSwitch --> Router
Controller --> MainSwitch --> Router

Or do AP1, AP2, AP3, and the controller all have to go directly to MainRouter?

Doesn't matter if they go to different switches, just make sure they are all on the same VLAN/Network Segment.

Seems strange that they require that even if the different network segments are routed to each other.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Is the WAN port on the e3000 a 100meg port?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
This sounds like a fantasy $sport draft. My buddy does one every year with about 20 devices coming in. The nighthawk worked well for him this year.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Sonicwall is point and click?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

e.pilot posted:

True, I would take Cisco IOS over Juniper's pitiful GUI.

Yeah but Junos kicks rear end. I hate working on other platforms now.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

netwerk23 posted:

I just ordered one of these from Woot for $25 new. Doesn't seem to have great ratings but it was cheap and is rated at 1300 mbps. To use it I need to add an AC AP to my existing N network. What's the best AC AP under $50?

My options that I've found so far:
1. TRENDnet AC1200, $39, cheap, gigabit
2. TRENDnet Easy-Upgrader $25; cheap; only 10/100
3. NetGear AC750 $40 reburbished; AP or repeater mode; only 750

The rest of my network is Ubiquiti but I can't see $150 for a used UAP-AC or $280 for a new.
Thanks.

Interesting you posted this. I was just reviewing my options for the same thing yesterday. Wishing the UAP-AC would drop in price.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Shukaro posted:

Ubiquiti APs are pretty much my go-to

Tell them to lower the price on the AC AP.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Prescription Combs posted:

Can easily saturate my 300Mbps cable internets over wifi on 5GHz :shobon:

drat you!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tapedump posted:

You realized you linked to a two conductor RJ-11 jack, right?

He could be my coworker, loves running ethernet over old cat3 drops.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I snagged a new ERX off eBay from a US seller for 55 shipped. I'll check when I get to a computer if that same seller has more stock.

Edit: Looks like the seller I went through (an Authorized UBNT US seller) doesn't have any more listed.

Moey fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 10, 2015

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

redeyes posted:

Yeah the one Injector will power both the AP and the Router at the same time. The idea is to give flexibility in where the router goes.

Stranger on the internet reported that after 4-5 wireless devices, the UAP-AC-Lite and the ERX starts dropping connections due to lack of power (using the APs injector to power both).

Can't test yet because the drat AP is backordered.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Don't crimp the ends, get a small patch panel.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

slidebite posted:

I see, I never thought of a patch panel before. I don't think I want to build a cabinet or anything, I'm planing just hanging the switch and router on header panel on the wall.

As I am a network novice, can you tell me what the advantage is of a panel over crimping ends?

Keeps everything clean, you can Velcro all your runs going into the patch panel, then use short patches to connect to your switches.

Seriously, its worth the tiny extra cost. They make patch panels that mount directly to the wall as well, if you don't get a network cabinet.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Antillie posted:

This is about as hardcore neckbeard nerd poo poo as you can get.

I wouldn't go that far, but at least he is in the right place.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Good Will Hrunting posted:

So I moved in today and I don't have a cable connection in my room. The wireless router will be about 30 feet away through two walls. I'll need to buy either a WiFi adapter or a power line adapter to use my desktop. My question is which I should try first. If the powerline works well, ideally it would be better than Wifi, correct? If not I can just return the powerline adapters m and get a WiFi adapter. Also running powerline to my room means I can have my Xbone wired as well.

I would start with a power line adapter and a dumb switch to connect both your PC and XB1.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Botnit posted:

Modem woes

Let me check the junk closet this weekend, I may have an old own you can have.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

bolind posted:

Hahaha, that's hilariously tragic.

I have a question: hypothetically, if you feel you'd need more than one Unifi AC LITE, what would be the way to go? Is there a big brother to the ER-X that has many PoE ports?

Digital Jesus mentioned it earlier, but just use the PoE injector to power your APs directly. After like 4-5 clients, you will exceed the power that you are passing through the ER-X.

Kinda annoying that these APs don't use the drat PoE standards.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CrazyLittle posted:

UAP-AC-Pro does. I'm using a normal netgear 48v PoE switch to power mine now.

Gah, I am just a cheap rear end.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm at the point where I am thinking about replacing our firewalls at work with Edgerouters, then just keep a spare in stock. I'm not there yet, but I'm definitely giving it some thought.

Why is this? How big are your offices?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Speaking of the UBNT, is anyone running an ER-X that has UPnP functioning properly? Specifically with an Xbox One?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I have a few network segments at home. Normal (my poo poo, wired and wireless), guest, lab and DMZ.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Antillie posted:

Yeah pretty much. If you need these things, you will already know that you need them because your PCI/HIPAA compliance auditor told you or the network engineer handling the project told you.

Not at all, people do have uses for managed switches and good firewalls at home. All depends on what you do (aka how nerdy you are) with your home network.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Antillie posted:

Well sure, I have managed switches at home myself. But I wouldn't say that I need them. I just like cool toys because I am a total networking nerd. But I still feel that most people have no real use for a managed switch at home. I certainly wouldn't recommend one for my parents or my non network nerd friends.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Antillie posted:

Subnets are almost always associated with separate vlans on a 1 to 1 basis. So engineers like myself tend to interchange the two terms a bit when talking about this stuff, even though they are different things. Sorry I didn't clarify that better.

Link subnets with access ports to different vlans on each switch. Everyone will love you.