Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ssjonizuka posted:

Could you elaborate a little bit more? Part of my initial concern is not knowing the entire feature set and walking into unknown territory with an apple router (coming from an old linksys running tomato). I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because, frankly, my family isn't hte heaviest user, and I'm planning on getting at least a mid-tier internet package from comcast which should be more than sufficient for our needs.

From what I can tell on the internet it seems like the airport extreme's upnp (if it has it at all) doesn't play nice with the ps3 and 360 and you have to manually forward the ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Electricb7 posted:

Just got ma Motorola Surfboard SB6141.

Now all I need is a decent router. Can anyone recommend anything for $75 and under? I'm trying not to break the bank here.

Well if you want an older good Wireless N Router you can get the Asus RT-N16 for $80ish ($70ish after a $10 rebate)

e: It only has the 2.4Ghz band.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I have a question. If I plug a second wireless router into the first one so I can extend my WiFi range can a computer connected via an ethernet cable to the second router reach the internet? Do I set the second router as a bridge or something?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

If that's the case, I'd there a cheaper option of quality than the router I linked? And would the router sit next to the modem or across the house wired? Or can it be connected wirelessly?

The router will sit wherever it can get an ethernet cable from the modem to it. Usually that's right next to the modem unless you wanna string a cable across the house.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Great the wireless repeater router for the guest house died. I need a proper solution that's not "shove an old router into the non insulated toolshed part of the guest house" Can't put it in the guest house proper since it's concrete block and can't find the signal from the other router. I guess my only good options are run a line (it's under 200 feet away) or mount some point to point thing right? I'll need to get a switch though since the main router is already out of ports.

For a basic non managed switch you just go modem to router --> router port to switch ---> switch to everything that's wired right? Wireless computers connected to the router can see stuff on the switch that way right?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah primetime is bad on my street with comcast (rural area but everyone has comcast since the alternative is windstream dsl at maybe 2 mbps). Of course we also have two downstream channels that throw a lot of correctable and uncorrectable errors. Having an older modem (sb6120) that could only use 4 bonding channels meant that if I got stuck with one of the bad channels I was screwed until 11pm or until I rebooted the modem several times.

I picked up a newer modem and with 16 bonding channels it's not as bad during primetime anymore. Still sometimes is bad but the difference is 2 to 3 mbps on the old modem to 8 mbps on the new one when things are really bad.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Feenix posted:

400 dollars later I'm about to swap my AirPort Extreme (5th gen) and Surfboard 6141 with a new AirPort Extreme and Surfboard 6190 just so I can test/eliminate culprits on my end for my intermittently tanking internet speeds.

Here goes nothin!

If it was like what I had with comcast the culprit is oversold lines but the 6190/having at least 16 downstream bonding channels has helped mitigate things some. Not completely though.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 6, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

So this image is going to be a more complicated version of what Ynglaur posted yesterday and is probably setup even worse but it should give you guys an idea to what I want to setup for the internet in the house.

Right now I have a 4 port router (Asus RT-AC87U) I bought to get internet into the entire home. It doesn't reach all the way to the front of the house.

Eth1 currently goes to a drop on the other half of the house to a desktop bound laptop that needs wired internet. I want to add an AP there so we can have reliable wireless on that half the house and use a chromecast on the living room TV. I also have to keep laptop connected via ethernet.

Eth2 currently goes to a ps4 from a 30ish ft cat5e cable run along the floor. I'd like to add a steam link (which I have) and eventually I'll want to run the plex media server from an intel nuc/some htpc and also add a NAS here.

Eth3 just goes to my desktop PC. Nothing new going on here. Until I get a nuc and NAS the plex media server is running from my desktop.

Eth4 is it's own can of worms where I want to get internet to a guest house some 100 to 150 feet away made out of wifi repelling material (concrete block, other stuff, it was a garge at one point). I'll probably have to setup a picostation or something. I don't think I can just run a long cable out there to the guest house.

My main concerns are will everything be able to see everything else. Will I be able to backup the computer on Eth5 behind the AP on Eth1 to the NAS on Eth9 that's behind the switch at Eth2. How about my desktop on Eth 3 to the NAS and what about a macbook on the main router at Eth0? Will all the chromecasts be able to see the plex media server? Will my phone be able to see all the chromecasts when it's on the main router? What about the AP at Eth1?

Judging from your guys response to Ynglaur's setup I know I need to revise this setup I just can't visualize how.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Antillie posted:

I don't see anything wrong with your proposed setup. Everything should be able to see everything else.

Oh, cool. Now I just need to figure out what switch and AP to buy and how to situate everything. edit: probably not going to mess with the guest house stuff for 6-12 months and that may end up being me just using line of sight picostations/nanostations or something.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Exterior walls are going to murder your coworker's signal. It should either be put on the "joint" part of the L, or they should have ethernet cables run (or use ethernet-over-power / or MOCA) and use two separate WAPs.

Yeah with my experience even buying one of those dumb 4/5 antenna Asus routers won't get you signal through the entirety of the house (my house is also L shaped). You'll need a way to extend it. It may be able to transmit through the entire house but your devices may not be able to transmit back to it reliably.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I need to get a new router since an ethernet port died on mine. I'm tempted to go edgerouter and UAP(s) but I know that if I do that I won't be able to use UAP(s) to talk to a wireless repeater in the garage/guest house 65-80 meters away.

It's me the guy who hasn't wanted to spend time running cat 5e or 6 outside between buildings that are probably close enough to do that. Don't really want to mount one of those nano point to point things either due to line of sight being slightly an issue (Oak Tree, location of router and stuff in home). I dunno I'm mainly just being lazy about it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm confused by this - if you have a device that connects to a Wi-Fi network and rebroadcasts it then that will still work if you change your APs to Unifi models.

The distance is the main issue. It's 70 to 80 meters between the two devices through an interior wall, an exterior wall, possibly an oak tree, and then another exterior wall. I bought one of those $200 something 5 antenna Asus consumer routers to try to hit the whole house and also reach the guest house so it could get some semblance of internet. It gets like 30-40 mbps to the wireless repeater (so 15-20 because half duplex) which is good enough for the guest house. I'm just afraid the UAP won't broadcast far enough unless I buy a stronger one but then I get the other issue with the asus router. Some weaker devices can't talk back to it, mainly a smart tv and chromecast due to that distance. The house is L shaped and the drop for the modem is on one side while that TV is on the exact other side and a straight line from the router to the tv has you going through two to three sets of walls.

edit: Also a wired repeater could be setup in the front half of the house except that led to "I don't want something that intense on my desk and also I still want my laptop to be using wired internet" from a different person in the house. So. Yeah.

Like what I should do is get the edgerouter, maybe get a network switch since I probably need 6 ports from edgerouter to places, and put up one or two UAPs and for port 6 have it be a low powered nanostation through some walls or run cable in conduit. There's that whole "yard where it would be run is underwater when it rains" thing but whatever

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 17, 2018

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

IndianaZoidberg posted:

This isn't the exact same message I see, but its close enough.

When I enter in a webpage or my modems address (10.0.0.1) it will kick me to this page and you can not get past it. I have searched for a way to disable it, but short of putting an opensource firmware on it, I am stuck with it. Hince my interest in using a switch as a hub so I could just bypass it. Its just my own stupid router.

What modem. I kept getting "your isp's dchp server is invalid" from my asus router after setting up a new modem with Comcast. Turned out I had to factory reset the cable modem via that Little pin slot since the modem got locked to the MAC address of the first thing that connected to it (my laptop) and refused to talk to my router before the factory reset.

It was weird. Modem was a retail Arris SB8200 on Comcast.

Edit:. Wait this is a completely different issue then yours.

I should read back more than one post before replying. Sorry.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 26, 2018

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

IndianaZoidberg posted:

ASUS RT-N66U. But I only get this when I lose internet because my modem poo poo the bed. I think I had an issue like that and I just redid the setup wizard and it fixed its self.

Yeah. That usually works but in my case it kinda would lock up on step 1 of that forever since the modem just ignored the router until I factory reset the modem (not the router)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I live in an L shaped house with the modem and router at one end and poor signal at the other. My neighbor's Xfinity wifi router has better signal in the other end of my house than my own router. My guess is my router and/or devices on the other end are not happy going through a couple exterior walls to talk to each other.

My current router is a few years old Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500. Any suggestions?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I had that a couple days ago with comcast. DNS just straight up died so I swapped the router to another DNS and things were fine.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I have a question on what to do here. My brother wants to setup a wifi range extender (or a similar thing) outside the house on the porch and run an ethernet cable from it to the detached garage to connect to an access point.

Would that work? Would it depend on the range extender being used? He can't really run an ethernet cable from the router to an exterior wall (easily) because the internet comes in at an interior wall in the middle of the house. Running a cable along the wall isn't really an option since the router is set inside a shelf you close. There's at least one ethernet drop run from there to elsewhere in the house from that location but it's on the wrong side of the house and also up on the second story.

Right now he's using a wireless range extender setup near the door to broadcast internet out to another range extender in the garage and that works for the most part but there's enough distance that the signal isn't the best and he's looking for something better

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

What about using moca or even power line?

Power line likely won't work. These are separate buildings at least 80 yards or more away from each other. Different breaker boxes/etc.

Moca in the "run it through your cable tv setup" probably won't work since it's again separate buildings and there's no coax in the garage in the first place.

Moca adapters as a way to just link the two buildings on their own line separate from the Xfinity setup may work except it would have to be fished under a concrete driveway like the Xfinity service was probably since that's the side of the house closest to an Ethernet port (it'd probably have to run down a wall from the second story of the home too which again complicates things).

I need to double check with him on Ethernet port dorps though.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 25, 2024