Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Search is down so forgive me if this has been covered.

We just moved into a new house and unlike our last one, I can't jury rig a wired connection to the rooms where I need it. Wireless will work for some things, but I already found out how lovely the PS3's wireless is (used to have it wired and it was great), it couldn't handle streaming the MLB app.

How good is power line networking? Looking around online it seems that the most recent iterations are well-regarded. Are the speeds adequate compared to the wired connection I'm used to? The devices involved will be a PS3 (and PS4 eventually), a Roku, three DirecTV DVRs, an Xbox 360, and one (eventually two) PCs. Wireless has worked fine so far for our phones, the Roku two iPads and my laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Dogen posted:

You can also try moca (network over coax). I have one bridge at the cable modem, then each room I need a hookup in has a tivo in it, which acts as a moca bridge and feeds an ethernet switch. I stream 1080p over the network to the PS3 using plex and it's great.

There wouldn't be any issues if the satellite DVRs are already connected over coax? And thanks for the response.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Rakthar posted:

I think you're better off with Powerline, which works very reliably and at good speeds.

The most recent Powerline gear is rated for 600 mbps, you should get 80-250 mbps in real world scenarios. Just to give you an example of what you're looking for, here's an Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA...-link+powerline

That's the exact one I was looking at on Newegg. And while there, they popped up this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181368&leaderboard=1

"Up to" 1000 Mbps. Too new for any reviews that I can find. And almost double the price. I seriously doubt I'd ever tax it but there's a part of me that hates to spend money on something when its successor is already out, even if brand new.

Thanks for the input.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Just wanted to update. I went ahead and got the TPLINK AV600 power line starter kit. There's really not much to say, they are about as easy to set up as plugging in a couple of boxes, hooking one to the router, and that's about it. I've only got two devices using it now, a PS3 and a DirecTV Genie off of a switch and both have worked flawlessly.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I just got WoW internet installed (110/20, which is light speed compared to what it replaces, Time Warner 20/2).

My setup is an Arris cable modem hooked up to a plain old blue on black Cisco/Linksys 2.4 ghz broadband router (I'd give you the exact model, but, and I swear this is true, my 22 month old snagged my reading glasses and I can't make out the number. Because I'm old), with the router feeding four TP Link power line networking modules. At two of the modules, switches feed various devices (DVRs, Roku, PC, PS4, etc.).

Prior to the new internet, both wireless and wired connections worked fine. After the installation, speed was almost identical to the old setup, both wireless and wired. When I called support today, they had me connect my laptop directly to their cable modem and it delivered the promised higher speed.

So apparently the router is the weak link in the chain. Is this a common issue, I mean, is there a setting that can be changed or something? Or is the router too old or somehow not compatible with the cable modem or some other aspect of the WoW setup? Those routers are or at least were so ubiquitous it's hard for me to believe there's a compatibility issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Rexxed posted:

You probably have the old WRT54GL

Boom. Found my glasses and you guessed correctly. Looked it up and I've had it for five years, which seems insane.

quote:

You'll want to replace it with an Archer C7 or something like that to make use of your new connection.

Thanks, I appreciate the response!

Edit: Just out of curiosity, what kind of shelf life should I expect on the C7 or are things moving too fast in home networking to know?

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 28, 2016