Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The N66U is pretty much the best N router you can buy. It's supported perfectly by the newest Tomato builds by Shibby.

The AC66U is a fine, if underwhelming product. I would personally just spend the extra $25 and get the Netgear R7000, which is the definitive AC router at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

skipdogg posted:

I thought the new Netgear R7000 Nighthawk was the best on the block right now? I'm not sure if any of the newer AC routers have 3rd party firmware support yet though, I recall reading something about driver issues on one of the websites preventing it.

It is incredibly fast and powerful. In fact, the fastest and most powerful. But you can't find any decent AC PCI-E cards, and by the time AC devices come out that can connect to these AC routers, there will probably be a better router out.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

kid sinister posted:

So I bought that RT-N66U that you guys recommended. Now I'm trying to get Tomato onto it, but the stupid thing is stuck in a Recovery Mode reboot loop. Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on with this stupid thing?

When you put it into recovery mode and flash Tomato using the Asus firmware tool software, just start the flash and then walk away for 30 minutes. For some reason the initial Tomato flash takes a long time to complete.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

You guys might be overdramatizing things here regarding the N66U.

Yes, the stock firmware sucks. Luckily there's Merlin's, Tomato, DD-WRT and OpenWRT available for it, all of which are mature and good firmware.

Edit: and Tomato is flashed onto it exactly the same way any other unofficial firmware is - by putting the router in recovery mode and then using the Asus Flash Utility. I used the newest version of Shibby's Tomato for my N66U. It does take a really long time to finish flashing though, so just start the firmware upload in the Flash Utility and literally walk away and go vacuum out your car or something. When you get back, you'll have literally the best N router hardware with vastly improved firmware waiting for you.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 11, 2014

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Shibbys Tomato is best.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Dogen posted:

I think the go to AC rec is the Netgear R7000, but that's also $200. Others here have said the Asus AC routers are lovely.

I think the AC routers by Asus are terrible because Asus writes bad firmware, and there aren't as many alt-firmware options (yet) as there are for the Asus N routers.

By contrast, the Nighthawk appears to be the only Netgear router that has decent firmware support by Netgear, which makes alt-firmware less of a necessity for that router.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The 6250 apparently still doesn't have full dual-core support, and Netgear doesn't seem interested in fixing it.

Honestly, Netgear has a pretty long history of only supporting their flagship products. So unless you get the R7000, don't expect any decent official support.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

SEKCobra posted:

The R7000 has several issues. And I wouldnt bet on it being flagship much longer :goleft:

It'll be the flagship until people become comfortable paying $250 for a router like the R8000.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

kode54 posted:

I always recommend OpenWrt wherever it can be installed, but that's just me.

(Seriously, gently caress DD-WRT. If you can't install OpenWrt or Tomato on it, gently caress it.)

Why the hate? OpenWRT is so fringe it's ridiculous.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I just wanted to report to R7000 users that version 1.28 of Shibby's Tomato works really, really great.

There's also an early build of Merlin for the R7000 that is supposed to be working well, but I'm a huge fan of Tomato so I'll be sticking with it for the time being.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Biggest human being Ever posted:

What are the big improvements compared to stock for you? If I'm not a power user and stock works okay for me, should I just leave the thing as is?

As above, don't fix something that isn't broken. In my case I had stability issues with stock firmware that Tomato has seemed to fix. Plus the interface is a lot nicer and is easier to configure.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Zoom's modems have been super solid for me. I think I have the 5341J? Just make sure the modem you buy is on the approved list for Comcast.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Any good reason not to repurpose some old hardware into a pfsense device that acts as my primary router and firewall?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Sentient Data posted:

At $.12/kWh, each watt of 24/7 power usage costs about $1/year to run. If you're using an old desktop at around 200W-ish when running, is it worth the $200/year to you?

It was an always-on Core2Duo-era server with dual NICs that are supported by pfsense.

So the answer is, yes, it was fine to pay for it to be always on before. Considering the electricity a sunk cost already budgeted for.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Dogen posted:

Only reason not to would be that it's fiddly, which I think anyone knows getting into that kind of setup.

Fiddly maybe on initial configuration, but only slightly more so than dd-wrt running on a linksys wrtsl54gs, which is what's the current router.

Pretend that I know an Edgerouter would be superior in terms of power consumption and almost as configurable, but that I don't care to spend the money and don't mind fiddly solutions, or paying a little extra for electricity. I guess what I'm saying is, everyone can agree that pfsense running on decent hardware makes for an excellent routing and firewall device, right?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Smashing Link posted:

I work about half a mile from my house. Work is a large academic institution with lots of wifi coverage and both "free" (AT&T) and institutional (eduroam) networks. My neighborhood is full of trees and I don't have direct line of sight to any work buildings. How feasible would it be for me to tap into my work's WIFI from home given the right equipment, and at what cost?

Well, how much does a can of Pringles cost in your neck?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Not sure if this is right for the home networking thread, but if I'm doing vlan tagging on a device (a Grandstream phone) and that device connects to my smart switch (that can do 802.1q stuff correctly) via a dumb, unmanaged switch, there is a non-zero chance that will break the tagging, right?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Does your barn have electricity? Are it and the house on the same circuit? You might be able to get a powerline adapter working, if so.

Regarding your first question, your 16-port switch is just acting as a switch (a device that invisibly switches packets). Yours sounds like a dumb switch, but they make managed switches that have interfaces you can log into also.

For your second problem of getting WiFi into your barn, you would either string an ethernet cable the whole way, or do powerline networking to build that bridge. From there you'd want to buy any consumer-level router that can be turned into an Access Point.

The recent Archer models can do it, as can any router that can run DD-WRT, Tomato, or other custom firmwares. Any recent Asus router can do it (especially if you install the open-source Asus-WRT software), and so can recent Netgear routers. Basically, you'd plug your router into power in your barn, connect to it via WiFi, then go through the steps to turn it into an Access Point (varies, per hardware, but typically involves turning off DHCP, changing the IP address of the device, setting your main router as the gateway and DNS, and then getting the wireless networking configured). Then, after the router was configured to be an Access Point, you'd simply plug it into your strung ethernet cable / powerline adapter and you'd be off to the races.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

SEKCobra posted:

Of course you can buy a WiFi router, but IDK, that's just paying extra to get a jack of all trades master of none type device.

I wouldn't say that. A Unifi AP would be overkill, and he'll need another system to run the controller software on. They start at $70 on Amazon and move up from there, while a comparable device from Asus will do wireless + give the option to switch additional devices. Also, AsusWRT is one of the easier router firmwares to setup an Access Point with - it's got a Wizard where you select Access Point, either let it automatically detect (or manually input) a couple settings, it reboots, and then it just works.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

SEKCobra posted:

I don't think it's overkill, and afaik you can run them without the controller.

Of course it runs without the controller. But to configure it, you need the controller.

I run Unifi APs at work. They're fine, for what they are. But they're not my favorite, nor are they much better than the devices they replaced. If someone wants an Access Point with extra ports that can switch other devices, recommending a Unifi AP for them won't fit the bill.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

1. Install Shibby on your E3000.
2. Spend $85 and buy a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite.
3. Configure the E3000 to work as a router only by turning off the wireless radios.
4. Plug your new AP into the E3000.

Shibby's Tomato is a great firmware that can be setup just the way one would like, and if that E3000 ever totally kicks the bucket you can spend another $50 to replace it with an Edgerouter X.

The R6700 isn't a bad device, but it doesn't support AsusWRT, and the DD-WRT support for it is limited. And leaving it on the stock firmware sucks, because Netgear's stock firmware got owned REALLY badly a couple times in the last few months.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Netgear Prosafe switches have web interfaces. I prefer them because Netgear is pretty good about their warranty with their Prosafe gear.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

n.. posted:

No, you don't need to use the apps. They exist to make it dead easy for people unwilling or unable to figure out the IP address to get into the web interface. But if you read the manual you'll see that it'll either come set to a default IP or to use DHCP. I've never seen one where using the lovely windows app is mandatory.

Virtually all Netgear Prosafe switches used to be app-only. In newer firmware updates they've switched to web access configuration, but I bought some refurbished PoE switches off Ebay a while back, and 3/4 of them needed me to install Netgear's management app, so I could update their firmware and access the web config pages. God drat app also only reliably functioned on Windows XP.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

Quick question DD-WRT and Tomato and all that:

If I get a wifi router that is compatible with one of these CFWs, does that mean it can utilize all the features, regardless of the specific router? ie will any old wifi router than can be flashed wth DD WRT be capable of doing ethernet bridge/client/repeater/whatever its called and let me connect to a VPN?

Typically, yes. I'm sure there are exceptions, but especially if your router is broadcom-based, it will have very good support.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Wiggly posted:

Can I get a sanity check? I want to add an 8 port Ubiquiti switch with PoE to power an Unifi AC AP Pro. Is this the model that would do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Managed-Gigabit-US-8-150W/dp/B01DKXT4CI

And am I correct in thinking that the 60W model will not power an AC AP Pro?

I know the OP talks about the ToughSwitch but those seem to be not as available as the UniFi switches.

One of the selling points of the AC AP Pro is that it can get power through regular 802.3af, rather than Ubiquiti's proprietary standard.

The switch you linked will most certainly work to power your AC AP Pro, but so will this TP-Link Managed 8-port PoE switch, and it will run you less than half the price of the Ubiquiti switch you linked, with all the same main features (notably, VLANs).

Ubiquiti makes great equipment, don't get me wrong, but a lot of their stuff is a cash grab. For example, any of their Edgerouters or even the switch you listed above *could* run the UniFi controller software onboard, if they wanted it to. But they don't, in order to sell you their CloudKey.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The problem with your idea is that cables "just work" 100% of the time, and your users are going to get frustrated when the AP they're using crashes and brings down their phone and workstation. I guess the question is, how important are your phones to your business, and will a missed/dropped call cost you anything?

If the answer is even remotely close to yes, I would try to find a way to stay wired.

As far as cable routing, do you have a ceiling that has moveable panels you could route through? We buy flat Ethernet cable that matches the color of the walls and make runs that way, by running the cable up a wall and into the ceiling, then down a wall where it needs to connect. We're a non-profit mom-and-pop, so getting drops done correctly would be cost-prohibitive in the space we're renting.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 27, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Better safe than sorry in terms of your speed expectations for the future, I know, but who's to say in 20 years we won't have honest and true gigabit+ wireless networking licked?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have an opinion on this beast? https://omnia.turris.cz/en/

An engineer at work has one and could sell it to me. Looks like way too much router for me, but maybe not if I'm considering getting an EdgeRouter Lite and a wireless AP. I have no idea what price I should ask for since it's not even available in the US.

$339 Euros! It wouldn't be as pretty as this setup, but $200 for a J3355-based ITX self-built computer, plus a $30 smart switch and a $70 Ubiqiti AP would let you run pfSense on a basically-bulletproof setup that's way more configurable, powerful, and likely more stable than an ARM-based OpenWRT router.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

Oh I should have specified that I'm in the US and he got it through the indiegogo campaign so he only paid $211. It's sitting unused at his house since it didn't have the range he needed and I don't think he cares much about money so I could probably get it for $150 or lower. Another friend mentioned pfSense, but making my own router sounds like I'm signing myself up for a lot of personal customer service hell.

$150 sounds right, then. Also pfSense takes some knowledge and configuration to set up, but no more than OpenWRT does. What I really enjoy about pfSense is the ability to configure a firewall in exactly the configuration I'd want to feel safe.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Electronaut posted:

That can only pass 802.3af, I think UAP-AC-Pro's require 802.3at? Correct me if I'm wrong. (Especially since it would've made my home network a touch less difficult to put together, sigh.)

The AC-Pro can use .af or .at. All other UAC-AC models only use .at, though I heard a rumor that people had gotten very recent AC-Lite or AC-LR models to work using .af. Not sure how true that is.

Edit: here's a forum post that seems to indicate that new Lite models can support .af

bobfather fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 2, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, there's a zero percent chance that Google's DNS is not doing that for Google's own benefit. But all the same I'd rather use theirs which actually returns in-spec responses, instead of Cox's DNS servers that kick back ad pages when a query fails.

You could use OpenDNS

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Can we talk about pfSense?

It's a phenomenally powerful, free firewall. It runs on just about any computer hardware. Even a $100 PC from 2012 will run it just fine. I've never evaluated it against the corporate solutions named above, but it's in a completely different league against the firewalling provided by any of the consumer products Ubiquiti makes.

If anyone would like I can put together my most recent pfSense hardware build. It came to less than $200 for a unit that pulls 8-10w from the wall and uses a 4-port Intel gigabit nic.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

astral posted:

by all means

Start with a J3355 cpu/mobo combo for $55. There are MATX and ITX flavors.

Add 4gb of ddr3 RAM (the ITX J3355 takes sodimms) - $25

Add a case, like this ITX Antec with included power supply or this Inwin with ps - $75-$85

Buy an Intel i340-t4 gigabit 4-port card. This will let you keep your WAN, LAN, and WiFi APs segmented. Make sure to buy a low profile bracket if your case needs it. - $30-40

Add a $5 flash drive to boot from, and you're all done. It's possible to save some money by finding a good deal on a case, but if you want a case that's small it'll cost you. You could easily run this setup in a $10 after rebate mid-tower case and a $20 Corsair 430 watt ps if you really wanted to save money. If you do that, it'll pull about 13 watts from the wall instead of 8-10.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

It's not a terribly great idea to virtualize pfSense, in my opinion. At the end of the day, that means your virtualization server is exposed directly to the internet. Yes, it's protected behind some software, but virtualized pfSense seems more appropriate in a homelab/self-teaching situation, rather than asking it to be your main firewall for your home.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

What does PFSense or one of the BSDs do so well that Vyatta or EdgeOS doesn't? I thought they were most similar than different, is it really just about having tons of CPU power so you can route at line speed without hardware offload?

pfSense is a firewall that has many routing abilities. Ubiquiti devices are routers first, with some firewall abilities.

Practically, this means that pfSense can do most/all firewalling duties at full speed, whereas the less-expensive Edge devices take massive performance hits for using (common) firewall features that aren't supported in hardware.

By the way, my bringing up pfSense at all was predicated on talk from the page before about maximizing security on a network. Something like pfSense will let you do that without making any compromises.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

someone explain vlans, tagging, and what its used for to me like i'm a child.

A VLAN is just a virtual LAN that can exist alongside your real LAN. The virtual LAN has all the same capabilities of the real LAN, but you can use it to cordon off devices.

For example, say you have a fancy Ubiquiti WiFi access point at home. Say you also run a Plex instance to stream all your porn. Last thing you'd want is for any guest with your WiFi password to be able to open their Plex app on their phone and see "Tim's Titty Server" pop up as a local Plex server. So you could run a guest access point that puts your guests into a VLAN, then configure that VLAN so it can't see your LAN, but can see the internet. They get the internet access they want, and your privacy is preserved.

Some devices are VLAN aware, like the aforementioned Ubiquiti access points. I've also seen VoIP phones that can do native VLAN-tagging all by themselves. But some devices have no clue about how to tag VLAN traffic themselves, so people typically buy managed switches that let you assign individual ports to tag traffic in certain ways. In effect, you could say <any device> plugged into <switch port 1> is supposed to be on the LAN, but <any device> plugged into <switch port 2> is on VLAN 10, isolated and all by itself. And so on.

VLANs are just a fancy way to manage traffic on a network.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

On the topic of conduits, one would typically pull unterminated cable and then terminate it themselves, correct?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Too bad the Ubiquiti smartphone app is so simple. At least let people set up additional SSIDs and configure VLANs.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Today I updated my home and work networks to pfSense 2.4

Home was rough. I virtualize pfSense, and although it installed just fine on reboot it was (for some reason) stalling on boot and freaking out over the ESXi USB 2.0 adapter. The fix to this was to stop the VM, remove the adapter (pfSense doesn't need USB support in my use-case), and restart the VM. After that pfSense installed in about 10 minutes.

At work, things went great. We also virtualize it here, and from the moment I hit upgrade to the moment it came back was about 3 minutes. No issue witht he ESXi USB 2.0 adapter like my home install (which I thought strange), but less uptime is always good so I'm not complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

CrazyLittle posted:

... Hmmm.....

Eh, more uptime, less downtime. The coffee wasn't as expedient this morning as usual.