Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Ihmemies posted:

I installed pfsense on I3 6300T, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD. Now I look at basically no usage of the hardware outside of when downloading with my 1Gbps connection using VPN.

Anyways, would it make sense to install ESXi instead, and since pfsense seems to be a bit of legacy software these days, install opnsense instead to a VM?

Then I could run another VM with stuff, since the pfsense does not seem to tax the machine. Ram usage is 6% so like 500MB :D CPU usage while downloading is under 20% with OpenVPN. Wireguard would probably be even more efficient.

Are there any real risks when using a router/firewall inside a VM?

I used to virtualize pf on ESXi. It works perfectly, especially if you pass through a network card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Encountered something insane today.

Setup: ATT Fiber with a BGW-200 modem. OPNsense installed on custom hardware running the pfatt bypass in bridge mode to let me bypass the BGW-200. WLAN is served by a TP-Link XE5300 that I got a good deal on at Costco.

Things had been operating with no issues for several months when out of nowhere, devices on WLAN could not see devices on either LAN or WAN.

OPNsense indicated nothing wrong, but I bounced it anyway. Did not resolve the issue. I then bounced the TP-Link. No resolution. I then disconnected from WLAN and tried to WireGuard into the home server via cellular connection. This connected fine, and I could see that wired devices on the LAN had full access to the LAN and WAN.

Certain that the TP-Link was at fault, I hard reset it. No joy. I then changed the switch port that the TP-Link was plugged into. No joy. Finally, I moved the cable plugged into the TP-Link port 1 to port 2. Everything was instantly fixed. I have not retested port 1 but assume it is dead. I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen an Ethernet port die that was not related to an electrical mishap.

Moral of the story is, buy from a place with an unlimited return policy if you must buy sketchy hardware.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Do you get a lot of lightning around your area?

No, clear morning that day. Also, I’d be surprised to have the TP Link bite it due to a surge but not any of the upstream equipment (switch, OPN hardware, ATT gateway, ATT ONT).

I was just surprised to see a port be at fault when there are a dozen software-related things that could go wrong in my setup.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Nolgthorn posted:

That needs to be running on both ends, so I guess, plug another computer into the router?

Also could plug in a gig-capable switch on one end and a gig-capable device on the other end and see if the switch negotiates a gigabit link (could say so on a status light or in the switch management page).

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

PitViper posted:

Well, my J1800 router from 2017/2018 just kicked the bucket, so I'm in the market for a new machine for my pf/opnsense machine. Does this seem reasonable? Currently we're on a 400mbit line, max for the foreseeable future might be gigabit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B28TC1KC

Or are the Netgate hardware platforms worth buying in to? I've been running pfsense for a long rear end time, but maybe I should give opnsense a shot since I'm being forced into reloading everything.

I switched from pf to OPN about a year ago. The interface for pf makes more sense to me, but probably only because I used it for a long time before OPN. However, OPN makes it so easy to use packages like AdGuard Home that I still prefer it over pf. At the end of the day, they will both function the same though.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

200mbps symmetrical would be just fine for me, but AT&T offers 300mbps with a data cap for $60 or 1gbps with no data cap for $80. The funniest part is you can pay to remove the data cap on the 300mbps plan.... for $30/mo.

Seems like you aren't in a competitive market. In Houston (big Xfinity market), AT&T has no caps on speeds greater than 300mbps ($55/month). I've had symmetrical gig fiber before and have not really missed the extra speed. Check the fine print on the plans in your market to be sure there's a cap.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

codo27 posted:

I read about PiHole last week so I rigged up an Ubuntu system to give it a try. Did the simple installation, everything looks ok. I can login to the web console and see devices in green, queries being filtered. But still there are ads, primarily youtube on the TV, which was my main reason for trying it out. Is there further configuration necessary?

YouTube ads are served from the same addresses as the videos, so they can’t be blocked with simple DNS blocklists (i.e., a PiHole).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I think the key with mesh systems is that most people don’t care about maxing out their line speed on their mobile devices.

I went from an all UniFi setup to a Deco X5300 setup that uses the 6ghz network as a wireless backhaul. It just works, even though TP-Link doesn’t let me manually change any of the settings that Ubiquiti did. And one day, if I want, I could run Ethernet to use wired backhaul with my satellite units, though if I did that, I’d probably just invest in the Omada line.