Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

feld posted:

You should visit the Mikrotik thread.

edit: I hate to be that guy, but after reading the first post.... really? I know you mention Mikrotiks further down, but Mikrotiks do everything you could want out of DDWRT and Tomato, and unless you need to run custom software + crons it covers the base of OpenWRT too. And Ubiquiti? Mikrotiks do it much better as well. I know there's already a nice big Mikrotik thread here but it seems silly that people keep pushing Tomato, DDWRT, etc when they're always on horrible, flaky consumer hardware. They were wonderful firmwares 5 years ago when we didn't have much for options, but these days you can't beat the functionality and power of the Mikrotiks.

/end rant.

If mikrotik could make a functional web gui and a 'quick set up' type feature (dhcp client/server/nat/wifi already set up out of the box), I think they would blow all the other consumer stuff out of the water.

e: Nobody can tell me with a straight face that they'd recommend their mom buy a mikrotik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

CuddleChunks posted:

I haven't tried webmin (their web configuration tool) in the latest 4.x or 5.x firmwares but the earlier versions were dreadful. Who cares? Winbox takes care of 95% of all configuration tasks and a command line fills in the rest of the gaps.

I agree that if they had a more accessible interface or a dummy mode that you could start with they'd definitely be more consumer friendly. But they aren't competing in that market and I don't think they can drive their price down low enough to do so.

On the other hand, every night I go and give a sweet sensual massage to my RB750G. Then I pull out the oils and really go to town. UNF UNF UNF! I LOVE YOU SO loving MUCH YOU LITTLE HUNK OF NETWORKING SEX! UNF UNF UNF!

You probably could get a cold, clammy handy from your Linksys but you'll never know the raw passion I feel every single night from my Mikrotik. Face it, it's too much RouterOS for you.

Strict 9 - No poo poo please look at a Mikrotik for your office. They are inexpensive, have fantastic features and will do everything you've asked about. They are NOT simple to setup though I think my little guide will get you going. As enotnert pointed out, the units come with a default configuration that works just fine for home use. Best of all, once you have the unit configured you can dump the configuration out to a text file and keep that somewhere safe. If your mikrotik dies, you can buy a new one, dump your script on there and be back up and running in hardly any time at all.

Your guide owns btw.

How feasible is this idea: I have a 2wire uverse RG, which doesn't really do bridge mode or even DMZ very well, but forwards ports fine. I also have a wrt-350n that does wifi and acts as a switch. Could I set up a VM on my desktop that's on all the time that runs routerOS and set that up as a VPN server? I don't really know why I have such a boner about this, but I want to encrypt all my iPhone traffic through my home connection.

I've tried a few dd-wrt VPN guides and just haven't had much luck with it.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

CuddleChunks posted:

What OS are you using on your desktop? If it's one of the pro versions (WinXP Pro, Vista Pro, Win7 Pro) then you can just enable the PPTP server that's built into the OS. It's straightforward with the online guides available.

I've had that running on my home computer for years. Oh sure, it's super easy to add it to the mikrotik as well, but this works and once I've got a working solution it's a lot more effort to want to fiddle around with it.

Thanks for the kind words about the guide. I had a lot of fun making that and horrifying my coworkers with its prettiness.

cockmouth - urgh, I deal with Sonicwalls and other mid-range routers. Hahah have fun importing a config between units. That kind of thinking isn't solely the domain of crappy home gear.

I'm using win 7 pro, set up the pptp vpn, opened a port on the 2wire, works great! The only time it doesn't work on my phone is if I'm on the local wifi, which is fine with me. Oddly enough though my win7 laptop does fine using the wan IP from my local network.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Ragingsheep posted:

My wireless router is currently behind a double brick wall and another single brick wall since it's at the front of the house while I'm at the back. Because of the way everyone is set up, I'd rather not move it.

My desktop is fine since I just run a CAT5 cable from the router to my main machine but my laptop has trouble picking up the wireless signal. Is it possible to get a USB wireless dongle and use that to get a wireless signal?

Yes, or you could get an additional AP and put it on the other side of the wall if that's feasible (hoping that's where the PC is), I think you will have better luck doing that than messing around with a USB dongle on a laptop.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Dongles don't really work very well, I wouldn't recommend doing that. do you have a separate modem where the AP is now?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Devian666 posted:

I would be looking to go many servers writing to a storage server. The ability for the servers to communicate at higher than gigabit would allow more flexibility in scaling.

What are you running in that box that would saturate a gigabit link?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Newf posted:

Hello thread. I've just moved into a new apartment with my girlfriend and we had intended to go without an internet connection for a number of reasons but primarily due to addiction issues of mine. After getting our stuff unpacked we learned that our landlords (we're in a basement apartment) have an unsecured wireless network that they're happy enough for us to use. Meh. It's a convenience for the girlfriend, so that's fine and all, but I want to set something up to restrict my own access.

We each have a laptop, and the thing to do with hers is to simply change the windows password so that I can't use it. But for mine, what I want to do is to have the network connection itself password protected. For example, if I wanted to use the internet toward some productive end for an hour, girlfriend would come to my computer, select 'One Hour', type in her password, and the connection would work for an hour and then shut down again.

The functionality I'm looking for seems simple enough that I don't feel like any big net-nanny type software is necessary, and besides, I'd rather not pay for anything or have to worry about bundled malware with free stuff.

Any suggestions for how best to implement this?

ALSO, just how stupid is it to even be using an unsecured wireless network these days? Should I say something about it to my landlords and maybe offer to plug it up for them?

edit: Might I be better off in the 'Windows and Windows Software' thread?
edit2: FYI, my laptop is running Vista.

Best way to implement this is to go to a shrink

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I just added another ddwrt wireless AP in the attic to my existing ddwrt router which is downstairs. I was having trouble connecting from my bedroom and now it works seamlessly up there. I do have one problem though. I have 3 wansview IP cameras which connect wirelessly, two downstairs and one up in my daughters bedroom. Tonight, I noticed that the camera keeps becoming unresponsive for a minute or two before coming back. I'm assuming that its jumping between the access points and getting confused-- it's not exactly the greatest IP camera in the world. My question is if there's a way to make it 'stick' to one of the APs (the attic one in this case) without changing the ssid of one of the APs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
How do I know if a gigabit ethernet SFP will work with my edgerouter? are they pretty standardized?