Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I hate my apartment complex. I am AIRPLANESYEAH

Going to pick up a 5ghz router (switched to channel 1 after seeing this graph, and seems to be an improvement).

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Triikan posted:

Virginia Girl is a giant rear end in a top hat.

I said the same thing to myself. I have no idea who it is; my apartment complex is ridiculously dense.

I'm just gonna move to the 5ghz band I think. Completely void of signals here.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I'm looking to upgrade my wifi setup at home (as my provider just upgraded me to 110mbps)

Currently have an older router thats maxing at 72mbps on 802.11n and an old draft-n wifi stick for my PC.

Any suggestions for a pair of wifi adapters for desktop + router? Money is no object [within reason] as I telework 4-5 days a week and performance matters.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Suggestions for wireless ac router under $200 in the US?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320174

Been very pleased with this myself.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I have a 6121 and just got my ISP to bump me to 110mbps.

I seem to be getting 100mbps on the regular; which is fine. Is there any advantage in getting a 6141 in reliability or anything? Thinking the answer is no, but doesnt hurt to ask.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

AceSnyp3r posted:

I've been using the RT-N66U with TomatoUSB for about a year now (pretty much 100% uptime since the day I got it), it's working great. My old RT-N16 seemed to have a problem with overheating (even though I wasn't loving with the clocks or anything) where the wireless would randomly die, but no issues like that yet with the N66U. Also, the wireless is stable running G/N concurrently, which I never could make work on my old RT-N16. So yeah it's a solid router from my experience with it at.

Can anyone recommend a good PCI-E (or PCI) wireless card? I'm moving to a new place next month where I won't be able to run a wired connection, so it's time to finally plug one in.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HF8K0O6/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

I've been very happy with this

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ryde posted:

I'm looking for a quality router that is able to host DNS, either via custom firmware or default, so that I can name hosts in my internal network. Price range is $100-200. The top post recommends the ASUS RT-N66U. I know this is out of date, so I did some looking around and saw that the ASUS RT-AC66U was also recommended, but that is likewise a pretty old model (late-2013). Is there any generally recommended wireless router that can be configured to do DNS stuff?

The Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite I just picked up is awesome and can do just about anything you can throw at it.

I went from seeing about 110mbps to 150mbps from my ISP when I switched to it from my Asus AC68U, too (wired GigE connection on both)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I've been digging in a bit more with the EdgeRouter Lite 3

It's awesome. Finally got IPSec to the amazon cloud working properly. Pair that with the free tier of Amazon services, and for a rather fair price I can really easily lab things out without needing a virtualization platform at home.

Awesome stuff, Wish there was a bit more documentation on the CLI, but referencing VyOS documentation has gotten me 99% of the way and tab completion and trial/error the last 1%.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Scrub the details (IP addresses and passwords) and post what configuration details they gave you. Type of connection, any tunnel/IKE/esp details, etc.

No shared secrets or IPs here though.

What type of internet connection do you have on hand? Business class? Do you have a static IP?
Site-to-site typically implies a tunnel configuration, and you'll ideally want a static IP and a decent piece of hardware to do it.

Walked fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 4, 2015

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

slyo posted:

We have a static IP with fairly decent internet speed 40mbit/s up/down.
We also happen to have a Windows server in our network, it just runs a web application at the moment. It only has one network card/port, if that matters.

pre:
Elisabeth Gateway x.x.x.x (their public ip)
Customer/supplier Gateway x.x.x.x (our public ip)
Pre-shared key will be sent over SMS 

Phase 1 
Authentication Method Pre-Shared Key 
DH Group 5 
Encryption Algorithm AES-256 
Hash Algorithm SHA-1 
Lifetime 28800 seconds 
Mode Main Mode

Phase 2 
PFS DH 5 
Encrytion Algorithm AES-256 
Authentication Algorithm SHA-1 
Lifetime 3600 seconds 

Encryption Domain x.x.x.x/23 (their internal subnet I'm guessing)

Ok, this is definitely IPSec site-to-site

The EdgeRouter will do this. $100.

Configuration can be a bit tricky but not too bad.

http://i-py.com/connecting-ubiquiti-edgerouter-to-aws-vpc/

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

slyo posted:

I'm from the Netherlands, this would be too much hassle with shipping overseas

Thanks, ordered an EdgeRouter Lite. I've had other suggestions but they more expensive and have bad reviews. This one seems solid.

Make sure you update the firmware step #1; they have some pretty huge changes in the web GUI right off the bat.
Post here if you have any questions with initial setup (or getting a tunnel up and running); the newest firmware has a wizard for basic setup but its not completely intuitive.

Once you get up and running it is super powerful.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Did you recently start using OneDrive by chance? Had similar issues from one of the OneDrive network settings on my Asus router.

Worth thinking about; only took one PC doing n initial sync to break things.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm having some intermittent issues with my connection dropping at home; albeit more and more frequently lately.

Power-cycling my cable modem takes care of it.
New SB6141, RCN internet

Looking at the logs; nothing seems out of place.

Looking at the signal levels:

Looks like the downstream is a bit high? I'm not sure; as I cant seem to find solid documentation as whats the proper spec range here.

Anything else to look at? I've reached out to RCN, but I'd really like to have this resolved :(

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

flosofl posted:

+15dBmV is really high and is almost certainly the cause of your random disconnects. -5 dBmV to +5 dBmV is the range you want the downstream signal in. You really want to be as close to 0dBmV as you can. If you have TV service, you're probably seeing tiling or splatting or something.

Your upstream is good.

If you are using any kind of signal amplifier, remove it (although bases on that good SNR I'm going to guess you're not).

You'll most likely need to engage the cable provider. That signal is coming in too hot to your drop and it probably needs to be adjusted at the breakout box.

Cool; thats what I thought. I've reached out to them. We'll see if they can do anything.

I'm pretty close to the breakout box and have no TV service or anything else. No amp.

If they're slow to respond (their support is hit or miss) can I throw an attenuator on my line coming in on my own? Bandaid, but something. No?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

flosofl posted:

By break-out, I meant on the pole the "green box" everyone it connected to.

You can certainly give an attenuator a go and it's a fairly cheap thing to test. I'd buy a variety of attenuators (probably 1, 2, 6, 8 and 12) to test and mix. Just make sure you don't drop your outbound too low when you add them.

Got it; this is outside my sphere-of-knowledge :)

I'll give it attenuator a try; I ordered a 6, 10, and 12 and sent a note to RCN to see if they can offer any assistance.
What should I watch for on the outbound power ranges?

Thanks for the help!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

flosofl posted:

According to Motorola/Arris:

So, with the values you showed, I'd give the 10 a go first. That will get your downstream under +7dBmV and keep your upstream *close* to the recommended range.

You might not be able to get downstream into an acceptable range while keeping the upstream good with passives. So, you may have not real choice other than having a service tech come out to adjust the signal on the line.

Cool; thank you! I'll give the 10 a go and see what I end up with.

(plus maybe theyt will come check it out)

edit: May use the 6; I'm dipping to 13dBmV and thatd put me between optimal and acceptable downstream and keep the upstream in range...

Walked fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 22, 2015

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Congobongo posted:

I'm looking to replace an Asus RT-56u that just kicked the bucket on me.

I have a 500+Mbs connection that I'd like to distribute in my condo. The RT-56u did an ok job of not bottlenecking my WAN to LAN. The router just kicked the bucket lately, by only delivering 4Mbs max (over LAN).

With my connection, will I need to go the enterprise route? I've had 2 consumer based routers in the last two years crap out on me. Are there any entry level enterprise solutions I should go for, or will the new mutant cockroach/crab looking routers by D-Link and NetGear work for me?

My network is pretty lightweight, 2 LAN devices, and around 4 wireless devices (chomecasts, phones, laptops).

I just don't want to drop 300 bucks on a router that will die on me in another year.

EdgeRouter Lite; gigabit ports, will handle just about everything you want without spending bank (about $100 for one).

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Alternatively:
https://wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

My Edgerouter Lite just poo poo the bed; about 2 weeks ago I started getting ~15second network drops out of nowhere; every 30min or so. Just often enough to disrupt the occasional work call / streaming.

Spent the last few days isolating it (factory reset; firmware updates; replacing all my cables) and finally swapped my default fios router in and the issue went away.

Sigh.

--

Is the Edgerouter 4 the best replacement on the market for gigabit? Dont need anything super fancy; just a performant gigabit router where I have control over routing/firewall rules and not much else really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

It's possibly just the USB storage that has killed itself

I dont think this is the case; these failures seem to have them fail to boot in all circumstances; this is not what is happening; just very intermittent connectivity.