Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Hey all. Read through the OP but I'm afraid I've still got some questions.

I've just switched my broadband over to Sky and gone from a 20mb cable connection to a 40mb fibre connection. I'm getting around 40mb out if I plug directly into the supplied wireless router from Sky, but wireless wise I'm getting around 20mb everywhere in the house, no matter how near or far I am from the router. I've tried switching channels and futzed with inSSIDer to see if I can find the best place but all the channel changing makes it worse as near as I can work out (it's going to channel 11 if left on auto and that seems to be best).

The supplied router only works on the 2.4ghz range so I'm wondering if getting a dual band one is going to make anything better. I don't have any of the necessary tools or cable to wire the house up, so I'm mostly at this point looking at whether I should do that or buy a better router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

grumperfish posted:

Get a better router (check the OP - although I like Netgear's lineup) then set your Sky router's DHCP server/wireless off, or whatever the DMZ+ configuration is for that model. Give the new router a static IP then use it for DHCP/wireless. If you want step-by-step info, I can walk you through it on mumble or jabber once you've purchased the router (Agincourt on WoL). All-in-one ISP-provided routers generally aren't the best to run everything off rather than compartmentalizing connections/routing on separate units. You may also need newer wireless adapters depending on what speed tiers they support.

Cheers - after I posted this I asked in WoL jabber as well and got similar advice. Ordered a linksys E4200 and a dual band USB wireless adaptor as well so will see what happens with them. Appreciate the reply!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ok, my E4200 is here. The stock firmware doesn't look like garbage, but should I be flashing it to DD-WRT anyway? Or Tomato (a quick google suggests Tomato isn't as good at the 5ghz band as DD-WRT, but I rarely trust recommendations from outside these forums).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm having some issues with this E4200. I've got it, flashed it to DD-WRT (using a trailed build specifically for it), and hooked it into my home network. I plugged it into my Sky hub, disabled wireless and DHCP on the Sky hub, set the E4200 to a static IP and plugged anything wired into it.

Two things seem to happen - it works fine for a bit and everything can connect, but the wireless signal is weaker than I was expecting. After a few minutes the wireless disappears completely, and connecting to it via a direct ethernet cable results in me being able to ping and connect to the Sky hub, but not to the router itself. Something is going seriously cockeyed here but I'm damned if I can figure it out. Any pointers?

Edit: Am I supposed to be setting the WAN type to "Disabled" on the E4200?

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 22, 2013

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Windowlicker posted:

I have an E4200. I get the impression there wasn't much love put into the firmware, so I didn't use it.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php?title=Linksys_E4200

Lines like this scare the poo poo out of me from a networking perspective:

Edit:

- WAN stability as a problem: The port on your router that's connected to your modem is fucky.
- 2.4Ghz/5Ghz Radio stability as a problem: Don't bet on your wireless working.
- If you disable your WAN, you are disabling the port that your modem is connecting to.

Do you suggest going back to the default firmware then? Or tomato?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Windowlicker posted:

If you rely on that device and it has to be stable, I'd go back to the stock firmware. In my opinion, you only want to move away from stock firmware if that firmware isn't doing something you need it to.

I'm getting the same issues with the stock firmware so I think it's hosed. Time to get an exchange.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Windowlicker posted:

I have had nothing but bad experiences with powerline hardware personally. Then again, I haven't tried installing them in a house, only in businesses.

Given the issues I was having with that router I picked up a couple of tplink power line adapters yesterday. They work fantastically for me - I've gone from getting 1.5mb/sec downloads from Steam via my ISP provided wireless router to getting more like 4mb/s. It's been consistent as well. I understand it depends on the wiring in your house, although for reference mine must date from the late 70s/early 80s and it's working pretty great.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

Since people are talking about wireless speeds this page, I think it's a good time to post my issue again. I posted about this back in December and then it got looked over during the holidays/since.

I have a Netgear WNR3500Lv2 and the wireless speeds make it barely usable. I posted lots of different speed test results back then and Devian666 was trying to help me out. I posted this image too:

(the rate usually says 65Mbps)

Until tonight, I thought the wireless was broken all together because I could see it broadcast but couldn't connect to it. Turns out I just had the transmit power up too high I think. I made it default and now I can connect to this POS again. It's been so slow from the get-go that I was hoping to send it back to Netgear, plus none of the advice here made it better.

Should I just send it to them and see if I can get a different model?

Have you tried firing up inSSIDer to see what other networks you've got around you? 3 isn't a great channel anyway from what I understand, you're best off on 1, 6 or 11 (picking whichever of those has the least traffic near you). Upping the transmit power also generates more noise, so that might have been causing you to see the network but not be able to connect.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

waloo posted:

I'm visiting my grandmother and in her house, plugged into an outlet is one of these: http://www.amazon.com/PlugLink-9650-HomePlug-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B003MEBTLK

Thing is, I can't find any others in the house. This one is connected to the house's Internet router. Is this totally useless without another unit to use with the one I've found?

Could I just hop on Craigslist or eBay or something and buy another one and use it with this one if I wanted to?

One of those on it's own does indeed do nothing. You need at least a pair of them - buying another one of the same type should do it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Access point question - I've got a wireless router on the ground floor and a powerline kit connecting it to my PC up in the loft. I've got a Belkin N300 sitting around with DD-WRT on it that I want to hook up in the loft to give me some extra ethernet ports (I have an Xbox and a Raspberry Pi that I want to connect), and I'm wondering if I may as well have it function as a wireless access point as well. If I do, is there any problem with me setting it to the same SSID, password and channel as the existing router, or should I name it something else and stick it on a seperate channel entirely.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm using a router with DHCP turned off as a switch - is there any reason to get an actual switch to do this job instead?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Has anyone got experience with the SR101 router that Sky provides? I've noticed that every now and again I get devices that can't connect to other devices (like getting my iPad to talk to the WDMyCloud I use for holding all my tv shows, or getting my wife's netbook to connect to my own pc, etc etc). I'm wondering if the SR101 just can't cope with too many connections and is making GBS threads itself as when I reboot it everything is fine again.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

lovely Treat posted:

The sr101 is a piece of crap it can only support something like 15 devices connected at once and has poor wifi range.
I replaced mine straight away

Righto, off to Amazon for a new one then. Ugh, I wish I didn't have to gently caress around with their stupid hidden password bollocks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

lovely Treat posted:

You can add another router onto the network and use that for wifi connections and keep using the sr101 if you don't want to mess around with wireshark. Although getting the password sounds more complicated than it is

I don't want to have two routers plugged in where I only really need one, so I'll just do the wireshark thing and put the 101 back in its box. I'd switch back to Virgin but gently caress their traffic management policies.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Obscurity posted:

If you mean on the speed test site, 3 different locations give similar results.

Interesting though that the speed test shows incorrect speeds..so the "Downstream Rate" showing the 19mbps is actually my speed?

Are you plugged directly into the modem/router on the PC that you're running the speed test on? If you're connecting over wifi or a powerline adapter or anything other than straight ethernet you may be losing some.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

As someone who's just left Sky, a couple of observations:

1. The Sky Hub ethernet ports are all 10/100
2. Wifi is single band 802.11n and when I was on 40mb fibre with Sky it struggled to deliver that even in the same room.
3. As noted if you want to swap out the hub for something else you have to piss about with Wireshark to extract the password.

Basically it's adequate but not great and swapping it out is a pain. For the speeds Sky offers the lack of gigabit probably isn't an issue but if it's your only router and you want to be moving files around or streaming high quality video then it's going to be a bottleneck. Personally I just left it alone because every time I fired up Wireshark to get the password out I just couldn't be bothered. Since moving to Virgin who supply an AC hub with gigabit ethernet ports it's made a huge difference.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ahdinko posted:

drat the ports are all 10/100? I guess I too have been spoilt by my Virgin Superhub, I've not even got the new one, mines the old 2010-2011 model.

Yup. They've thoroughly cheaped out. The SR102 has the fibre modem built into it as well so you're stuck using the thing in some capacity. It wasn't a huge problem for me at the time as I used a Raspberry Pi as my media centre which only has a 10/100 port anyway, but it's pretty poo poo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

PopeCrunch posted:

So I get this, and just throw a wireless access point on the other end? That makes sense.

vv Rad, thanks!

FYI, I went from the 4010s linked there to the 6010s and went from a 20-30mb/s throughput from the ground floor up to the loft conversion to a 70-80mb/s throughput. Depending on the distance you're going and the age of your wiring it may be worth considering the 6010s. Also the 4010s only have 10/100 ethernet ports on them and the 6010s have gigabit ports.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Antillie posted:

Awesome! As for router recommendations:

If you like messing around with this sort of thing you can always build a pfSense box and use the old E3000 as an AP. If a "leave it in a closet for 10 years and forget its even there" level of reliability is your goal then its pretty hard to beat a tiny x86 system with no moving parts running pfSense or a similar Linux distro.

Seconding the Archer C7. I picked one up the other week and it goes like stink while having a good range of settings on it. I'm genuinely baffled as to how it goes for £85 when most other comparable stuff seems to cost about 20-30% more.

Also, not sure if this has popped up in the thread yet but D-link are about to (or have) put out a new powerline adapter that goes stupidly fast. Obviously it still depends on your house wiring, but this is looking like seriously impressive speeds:

http://www.techradar.com/news/networking/d-link-delivers-lightning-quick-powerline-extender-1290766

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I've got the C7 v2 so I can say with confidence that that one is fine. I don't know about the 1 or 1.1.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've heard that there are overheating issues with the C7 and it's due to the overclocking. I was wondering if the different versions were better. I was also recommended the C5 instead of the 7 but I'm not sure. I've never bought a non-Netgear router but I have no exact preference. If I can't get by on cost, then I'm cool with going by with features. Preferably something fast, using the best technology, and is relatively around $160 or so.

I've got about a dozen devices connected at any given time and not seen any issues with overheating. Speedwise I can get my full 100mbit cable connection over the 5ghz wifi if I'm in the same room and the only slowdown I get to the network as a whole is from my powerline adapters. It's a good router, for sure.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

redeyes posted:

I'm interested in this Archer c7 but here is my main question: are both 2.4 and 5ghz both stable and fast? How about having to reboot the router every so often? To be honest the only router I have ever tried that didn't require reboots (other than VPN security appliances) was PFsense based intel boxes. :/

2.4 and 5ghz both seem as stable as each other for me. I can max out my 100mbit cable connection on the 5ghz in the same room as the router and I get the sort of speeds you'd expect from 2.4ghz all over the house. Only time I've had to reset it is when I changed the DHCP settings, I've not had cause to otherwise.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I switched from fibre to cable a couple of months ago and I'm getting endless trouble with my connection now. What seems to happen is that it'll work fine for a while (could be hours, could be days) but then it'll start dropping out. All the upload bandwidth disappears, then the download bandwidth, pings to google start timing out, all that sort of fun stuff. Virgin have been out and replaced the hub but that doesn't seem to have worked. The only thing that seems to put things back in order for a bit is some advice a tech on the phone gave me, which was to unscrew the coax cable, tap the inner copper bit against the outer thread on the modem coax socket and then screw it back in. No idea why that works, but it does.

I'm running an archer c7 as my router, I've got Devolo powerline adapters to enable me to use my computer up in the loft. I had an e4200 up there as well but I've removed that in the interests of troubleshooting. Anyone got any ideas? I've got a tech coming tomorrow but I'm wondering if it's anything in my home setup that's causing it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

stuxracer posted:

Just resetting the device. A lot of the time people refuse to unplug power outlets so having them unscrew the coax is a good way to reset it so the customer says "I reset my modem, no really" when they didn't do poo poo.
OR You have a improper grounding for your cable/electrical work in your house. You might have an outlet that the ground is disconnected or the ground on the outside of your house might be broken. Have an electrician check it ---

Source: I was not a Virgin field tech, but I was a field tech in the US. We would tell customers about the grounding issue though - it is really easy to demonstrate because often touching it to the palm of your hand will give you a slight shock after it built up like that. We were also not licensed electricians so we couldn't actually "fix" anything. People hated us for their houses lovely wiring all the time :(

Huh. Interesting. And this wouldn't have been something that would have affected my previous fibre connection? Or could it just be the cable connection that isn't grounded?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

stuxracer posted:

Disclaimer again I am not an electrician for others reading if I need correcting, but this is what they would say. We used to have to contract them out for customers to prove/fix issues. The ground is to protect you from your house burning down (lightning hits power line running to your house) and to remove static build up among other things.

Back to the cable tech:
When we connect cable, we also ground it to that same home ground mostly for the same reasons. Fiber would not because there is not risk of it happening across glass like it would with copper.

The static build up is a sign something is weird with the grounding. The fact that discharging it alleviates your issue is why I am suggesting it as a possible cause. You touching the copper core to something metal is that discharging part.

Your cable company should come out to verify their ground is still properly connected to the home ground and if so should recommend having an electrician check it out.

Ok, cool, all makes sense. I will ask the tech about that tomorrow if they attempt to just swap the modem out and leave again. I'm now wondering if changing my powerline adapters has had any effect on this, as the Devolo ones tout the fact that they use the ground wires as well as the live/neutral ones to get better speed.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Follow up on my last few posts: as soon as I called Virgin to get a tech out the problem utterly vanished. The tech still came out, changed a splitter on the cable and swapped around which line I was connected to in the junction box just so he'd done something I think, but yeah, rock solid since I called Virgin up.

As a separate issue I'm getting something weird with my powerline adaptors now. Previously Id be able to get my full 6mb/s upload speed through the powerline link. Now I can barely get 1.5mb, but I'm still getting 60mb download through it. Anyone got any ideas why I'd be losing upload bandwidth across powerline but not download?

Edit: haha, I'm the worst. I'd installed netbalancer at some point to see what was using my upload and download bandwidth and then forgotten about it. Somehow it was the thing that decided to only let me use 1.5mb of my upload speed all of a sudden. Uninstalled it and I'm back in business.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 31, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

So after my old router crapped out, I ordered an Archer C7 as a replacement due to it's high praise from several reviews, including this thread. Some of the reviews seem to say the web GUI leaves something to be desired. Is there a good replacement firmware like DDWRT or OpenWRT that people have zeroed in on? I have read that DDWRT has kind of fallen behind some of the others.

Depending on what you actually want to do it may not be worth replacing the firmware. Is there anything specific you want to do with it that you think it won't handle natively? The UI isn't pretty or anything but it's functional.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

Probably basic QOS stuff, prioritizing web traffic over streaming or torrenting and port forwarding would be the most intense I would need. I suppose I will look through the firmware first and see if it is serviceable before eyeing openwrt.

Port forwarding is available in the default firmware and is pretty standard. The closest thing to full on QoS seems to be these settings:

So if that's not enough for you then yeah, consider alternative firmware. Works fine for me because I just yell at my kids if they start eating all the bandwidth but I can see it's not super flexible.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The C7 has been fine for me since I've had it with no particular need to reboot and no need for custom firmware. I've got something like a dozen wireless devices, a TiVo box, a NAS, a raspberry Pi media centre plugged in direct and a desktop PC hooked up to it through powerline adaptors and it copes fine. I guess if you're wanting to do something above and beyond that level you might want to flash it or consider something beefier.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Goetta posted:

Yeah I was thinking about that but the Wifi in my house gets sketchy towards the front room so having an extra router out there has been pretty nice for laptops and whatnot.

Are there powerline adapters that do 1GB now? I've just been looking a CNet overview of them and haven't seen any yet.

e: They do apparently http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127587&cm_re=DHP-701AV-_-33-127-587-_-Product&RandomID=4399965272454120151009133047

Looking at reviews those are only slightly faster than ones rated as 1200. I've got a 1200 set and I can get about 40-60mb/s through mine. One review I found for that one you linked suggested it managed 10mb/s faster than a 1200 set, which is nice but it's not gigabit.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kafka Esq. posted:

Does anyone have any real world experience with powerline adapters? I can nab a top rated one (the PA8010P from TP Link) from a liquidating store for less than 60 bucks. I live in an Edwardian house that has been gutted to the studs at least twice in the past twenty years, so may have been rewired at least once. I'll be in the basement, and the offending wifi router that caused all this is on the top floor.

edit: I do not have the option of running an ethernet cord.

I'm running one in a 1930s house that's had at least one refit since then and I'm using powerline adaptors from the ground floor up to a loft conversion. I'm using Devolo 1200mbps ones and I'm getting about 40mb/s sometimes getting as high as 50.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kafka Esq. posted:

Is the connection stable?

Yeah, seems to be. Just need to watch out for noisy devices loving things up (I have a cheap Chinese knock off Ipad charger that drops my speeds by like half if I have it plugged in).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

ufarn posted:

Is the TP-Link Archer C7 - AC1750 the best price-no-object router out there now? I'm trying to circumvent my PoS ISP router with bridge mode, and I don't care too much about the price at this point.

The c7 is actually relatively cheap and yet also good. If you're willing to spend more then stuff like the high end Asus offerings might be a bit better but the c7 is pretty much the best on price/performance before diminishing returns start to set in.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

ufarn posted:

What are the ASUS ones? Might as well see what there is; C7 doesn't do automatic updates either, from what I understand.

The nighthawk I think. R7000 or 8000? I've got the C7 myself and it's fine but yeah doesn't seem to do automatic updates.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I have got fed up of my powerline adapters not being able to deliver my full broadband speed around my house, so I've decided I'm going to run ethernet between the cable modem (ground floor, front left corner of the house) to my PC (two floors up, back right corner of the house). Am I right in thinking that all I really need is:

A reel of ethernet cable, either CAT5e or CAT6
Two face plates/back boxes
A punchdown tool
A drill
Some cable tacks
Maybe some trunking if I'm feeling fancy

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, pretty much, as long as everything is easy to get to behind the walls. If you're buying new stuff it's not a bad idea to get cat6. It can be harder to put ends on cat6 as patch cable but punching it down is about the same as cat5e. If you have to pull the cable through some distance a small fish tape isn't a bad idea for fishing the cable from point to point, as well as some string and tape to adhere the string or cable to the fish tape.

It's also a good idea to plan out the pull and whether to start it at the top or bottom. If you're feeding it from a low point to a high point it's often good to start at the high point because pushing a cable up inside a wall vs. gravity makes it flop over (hence fish tape which is fairly rigid). If you can get access to the entirety of the vertical run then you could do that, but otherwise I'd start at the top. Also as with any cable run, consider if you'd like to run two at the same time and leave some slack coiled up near the ends of the run in case you have to change the ends later.

Cheers - it's an old house (built in the 1930s) with solid brick walls everywhere except the converted loft, so I'm not going to be able to conceal the cable in the walls very much. It's going to be going over doorways and along skirting boards with the occasional hole in a wall. That being the case I'm probably just going to run a single cable as it'll be less noticeable than running multiple ones. As I'm basically just running it from my cable modem to the switch in my office space is there any great advantage to running more than one cable?

I'll shoot for going top to bottom, thanks for that advice. My instinct was to start at the cable modem and run from there to the PC but letting gravity do the work sounds smarter.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rexxed posted:

In that case I'd just run the one cable. Doing more than one run is mainly for in-wall installs where you can just leave the extra in the wall if you need it later. I tend to use different cable holders depending on visibility and how clean I want things to look. In a basement or ceiling those nail-in cable holder tacks are easy (like these but any brand really http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cable-Store-White-RG6/dp/B007TMYTK4 ). On a visible wall you can go with command hook style ones which cost more but can be cleanly removed: http://www.amazon.com/Command-Small-Clips-Clear-8-Clip/dp/B0084M696K or just put it behind wiremold stuff that's the same color as your wall so it won't stand out: http://www.amazon.com/Wiremold-CMK50-Cord-Mate-Kit/dp/B0015EDVVU/ The only kind I'll never use again are the kind with a cheap normal double sided adhesive pad. They just fall off eventually.

There's a lot of options but it all comes down to how clean you want it to look and how much you'll spend to get it that way. As long as you can get the cable from point A to point B with no conductors inside broken and in under 200 meters you should be set from a networking standpoint.

Thanks for this - last question before I start ordering stuff, is there much difference between different types of cable? A 100m reel of "Valueline" shielded CAT6 is £24, shielded is another £10 for the same length and then for another £5 on top of that is "stranded" cable instead of "solid". I can comprehend why I might want shielded or unshielded but I've no idea what stranded vs solid means in practical terms.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cactus Jack posted:

To add to the CCA chat, I have a box of cat5e CCA from Tiger Direct that I got on clearance and it says on the box to not make a cable longer than 16 feet. CCA is pretty bad unless you just want some poo poo cable to learn/teach with.

I made sure when I ordered my stuff today that it was actual copper wire and not CCA - I very nearly ordered CCA stuff before the advice in this thread, so another thank you from me.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Feenix posted:

I have a Zyxel Powerline Ethernet wiring my downstairs poo poo. Upstairs I have some nestcams that suck dick for staying connected to my wifi. Am I able to buy a compatible Powerline Ethernet receiver that also pumps out wifi to pit in that room?

Am I speaking gibberish? :)

As long as you get an adaptor that uses the same powerline standard (probably homeplug AV2?) as the zyxel you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Feenix posted:

Yeah it's Homeplug AV2. I'm having trouble finding a single
Unit (not a 2 piece starter kit.) do single wifi adapters exist?

My zyxels are AV1200.

I've definitely seen single units in the past, no idea how easy they are to find though. You're more likely to find single units as you go up the price scale though, I'm pretty sure of that.