Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I posted about it in the recently-closed thread, but I just wanna throw out some love for the AirPort Extreme Base Station. It's pricey, but it's got dual-band 802.11n, guest network support, disk sharing, printer sharing, and has never locked up or crashed on me. Mine typically serves over a dozen devices (a mix of desktops, laptops, phones, tablets, and game systems) with clients surfing, gaming, torrenting, Usenet downloading, and Netflix streaming all at once during peak hours and I've literally never seen it go down.

Its biggest downsides are lack of QoS, and no web interface. You have to use a separate application installed to a machine to configure it. If you can live with that, I consider it the best consumer router on the market.

I've set up Tomato and DD-WRT on routers for family and friends and used some of D-Link's higher-end consumer stuff, but the AEBS serves my needs better than any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's a goon unloading a Mikrotik RB1000 over in SA-Mart for pretty cheap.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's a Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem over in SA-Mart for a pretty decent price.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Any recommendations for a decent 8 (maybe 16 depending on price) port "SOHO-grade" switch. I don't need it to be managed or anything, but jumbo-frames, gigabit, stable, etc. I don't need POE, while SNMP and QoS are optional depending on price. I've heard Trendnet is decent but I'm just wondering if anyone else has any suggestions. Netgear seems to be the most common result based on those features.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 20, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I really need to get a 5GHz router for my girlfriend's apartment. :suicide:

Also poor college students use really lovely networking equipment; so many Belkin routers. :barf:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

How the hell is the network "Softball" using up so many channels?

At least I'm in the clear on 5 GHz. :D

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Devian666 posted:

300 mbit/s wireless. I use a similar number of channels so all of the strongest signals appear to be set to avoid my wireless.
But fishpond is 300 mbit/s too, so that doesn't explain it. I'm guessing it has something to do with the incredibly weak signal to Softball just sending it all over the place.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I dunno. fishpond's giving me 300 mbit/s right now, but that's on 5 GHz. I guess it's not important.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Prefect Six posted:

What program is that? Is it built into OSX? Is there something similar for windows?
You could give inSSIDer a shot.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

poty posted:

I'm thinking of buying an Airport Extreme base. Is there a similar product that's cheaper or better? If you have one, do they work with Xbox Live out of the box?
Still the best consumer router I've ever used. And yes it works with XBL just fine.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Is your NAS expecting a DHCP-assigned address? I'm not sure the Windows 7 PC will do that. You might need to set up a static IP on it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The wiring cabinet for the new condo I just moved into. The house came wired with cat6 from every room to that punch down block, but everything after that was added by U-Verse and the kid didn't really seem to know what he was doing. I didn't feel like taking the time to clean them up.

Until a few days ago the switch, router, cable modem, and the Schlage box (wireless locks :whatup: ) were on the floor of the closet. My project for the weekend was to cram them all in there and close it up.

Unfortunately, doing so caused my wi-fi reception to plummet so I'll probably look into adding another access point somewhere else in the house.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 10, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CuddleChunks posted:

Is it a metal cover for your wiring cabinet. If so, you're creating a nice little Faraday cage for your wireless. :shobon:

Solution is to use your wired house to the fullest. Move the wifi router somewhere else in the house, turn off any dhcp nonsense so it's just acting as a dumb wireless access point and plug it into a wall somewhere central. Vroom vroom, plenty of signal everywhere.
Yeah I know it's the metal cover, but putting the router somewhere else would require the cable modem to go somewhere else as well, which I'd rather not do. To move the router alone would require two drops to whatever room it ends up in (one for WAN, one going back to the switch to service the rest of the house's ports).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Devian666 posted:

That's not what he's saying. He's suggesting just getting a second router to provide wireless coverage, not relocate modem/router. This gives you an excuse to buy another AEBS.
I misunderstood what he meant by "move the wifi router" since he never mentioned adding a second, wired router.

Yes that will most likely end up being my solution, but it'll be a Time Capsule instead of an AEBS.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Devian666 posted:

Looks like I was discussing what was in my mind rather than his words. That does sound like an appropriate least effort solution.
It's just slightly frustrating because everything worked fine when it was on the floor of the closet. But nooooooo I was asked to put it all away so the closet was usable or something. Now my nice little router has to get sealed up in a metal box in the wall. :mad:

Oh well. I guess I'll grab a Time Capsule tonight. It's only money.

I'm curious if I should turn Wi-Fi off for the AEBS completely, or just set up the Time Capsule as an extension for the same network. I imagine devices are smart enough to choose which one to connect to. 2.4 GHz performance wasn't affected, only 5 GHz, so it seems like a waste to me to turn off the AEBS Wi-Fi completely, but at the same time I already know that a single access point can service all 3 floors without issue as long as it's not in a Faraday cage.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dogen posted:

To avoid this problem I got a plastic mount that screws into the wall and just clamps onto my Time Capsule and it lives next to the wiring box. If you can live with the TC mounted on the wall I highly recommend it.
To hell with your practical, low-cost solutions! I only know how to throw money at my problems.

Good suggestion though. I'll float that and see if that's a potential solution.

Devian666 posted:

If I remember correctly you have the devices set to different channels to avoid interference.
I guess I'll see how Apple sets it up by default when told to extend an existing network.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I tried 3 different configurations for my AEBS and Time Capsule based on Apple's page on extending a wireless network.

The first one I tried is what Apple calls Wirelessly Extended Network and is how the device set itself up by default when I fired it up. Both access points serve Wi-Fi, with the second device set to extend the primary network. There is no physical link between the two access points, with the secondary merely acting as a repeater for the primary device. It worked just fine, but considering I could use a gigabit link between the access points, it didn't make a lot of sense to leave it in this configuration.

A Roaming Network is what Apple actually recommends, so why it defaulted to the previous option is beyond me. In this configuration, both devices act as independent Wi-Fi access points using the same SSID and WPA2 details. They're smart enough to throw themselves on opposite channels, but the possibility of interference still increases. Devices will choose independently which access point to connect to depending on signal strength. After a few minutes of the network running in the manner, it became clear which access point was the winner:

With every device in the house hopping on the Time Capsule's Wi-Fi due to the better signal strength it was apparent that I was better served simply disabling Wi-Fi on the AEBS.

I included one last graphic to demonstrate my final solution, though I doubt it's really necessary. Now I get to wait for my Time Machine backups to complete and then I think I'll finally be content with this network setup.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CuddleChunks posted:

Sorry I thought I saw another router in the mix with your other stuff in the cabinet.
Nope that's the Schlage receiver for the wireless locks and lights in the house.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 10, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Make sure whatever you're looking at is at 100 or higher (preferably a bit higher if your provider does Speed Boost) on this chart:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/view

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Hmmmmm. Local store (Micro Center) has the Asus Black Diamond for $109, so...why wouldn't I just go with the fastest drat router on that list? :v: Anyone have that router?
Smallnetbuilder seems to like it:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31436-asus-rt-n56u-black-diamond-dual-band-gigabit-wireless-n-router-reviewed

The downsides appear to be: no custom firmware support, no 450mbps Wi-Fi

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I have no idea why I just impulse-bought another AEBS (5th gen) off of SA-Mart, but hey it was only a hundred bucks. :)

I'll probably end up reselling it to a buddy who's looking for a new router, or setting it up for a family member.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Updated the AEBS and added TC. Thanks Binary Badger.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

yellowjournalism posted:

Question: Can I passthrough a wifi signal from my Macbook to my desktop via LAN?

It's a weird situation but somehow I feel this should be way more possible than my googling indicates.
System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Motorola SB6120/SB6121

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah I haven't heard that either. I scoured the spec sheets when buying my modem and couldn't find any published differences between the SB6120 and SB6121. I bought the 21 because they were the same price at the time, but I'm still not sure there's any difference.

I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with a worse version, since identically-spec'd tech gadgets with minor casing revisions are usually just done to mask cost-cutting.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Most consumer NAS drives have USB ports for direct access.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nostrum posted:

(a Motorola SB6141)
Huh. That's a new one. To :google:!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Probably because it's a special model made under contract by Motorola for TWC.
I noticed that Cisco does this as well while trying to research a buddy's DOCSIS 3.0 modem. It's annoying.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

They're probably the exact same modem, just that the 6141 is brown-boxed as a TW OEM cable modem.

Just stick with the 6121.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yep I had the same problem with Cox. They had to replace our block's node because it was on the fritz and they ran a new line to the house at the same time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I can't guarantee it's the same issue, but it sounds like something on Cox's end. Get a technician out there to do a line quality test.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's a new-in-box AEBS for $100 in SA-Mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507003

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

OliverObtuse posted:

What gives? How can I make this sucker broadcast 100 meg internet?
That's an ancient draft-N router, and your clients most likely don't support multiple streams anyway. A more modern 802.11n router and clients could connect at upwards of 450mbps, but your current setup just isn't going to do that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The AR9285 in your computer doesn't support more than a single stream (150mbps in a perfect world, not real world) and I highly doubt the phone does either. Getting a newer router might improve throughput, but you'll still never come close to maxing out your connection over Wi-Fi with those two devices as clients.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

OliverObtuse posted:

OK. What about for my Xbox? It's a newer one with wifi embedded. Any hope for it?
It's a USB dongle that resides inside of the system on the S:

I believe the 802.11n adapter for the earlier revisions supported two streams, but I really couldn't tell you what the new one does. If I had to guess, it's probably a single stream.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Or accept that your Xbox and phone will never get over 15-20mbps, which is more than enough for those kinds of devices. The only one you should really be worried about maxing your connection with is probably your computer.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Minidust posted:

I want an Airport Extreme, but I'll need to hook up two ethernet switches to accomodate my wired connections (one on each floor, with a long ethernet cable running from the router to the basement in my current setup). Any reason why this wouldn't work?
It'll work just fine. It's what I do to get all the house's drops onto the wired network.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I can't recall if you're one of the folks that's taking Mavericks for a spin, Bob. Just know that extensions are completely broken in Safari 7 due to the new threading model.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Looks like the 802.11ac AEBS and Time Capsule are vulnerable to Heartbleed. A firmware update for those devices just went out that patches the issue. Earlier AEBS and TC models are not affected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

What's a good basic wifi router I can set and forget? Money is basically no object (let's say $400) My antique airport extreme got the added feature of DNS proxy'ing, and now it's making GBS threads the bed pretty regularly instead of going years without reboots like before.

All I need is DHCP reservations, port mapping and bulletproofness.
A new AirPort Extreme.