Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Trying to help my parents out with their wireless situation. Currently they have an old Linksys wireless G router upstairs and in the corner of the house. I am going to move that and the modem to a more centrally located spot on the second floor. My goal is to set them up with 2 wireless N routers with DD-WRT or Tomato, and have them use WDS. The routers will be right above/below each other, one on the first floor and one on the second. Would like to save running ethernet as a last resort. Any potential problems? Was thinking about using this - http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Technology-AirStation-Wireless-WHR-HP-G300N/dp/B002WBV2T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327164282&sr=8-1, unless someone has a better suggestion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mitsune posted:

There are ports on the walls in each room highlighted in blue that say Cat5E. I brought out a cable to double check and they do snap in.

And I also just discovered the phone lines are connected through the same port in the other rooms. :doh:

Thanks for catching that. I guess I have to forgo the hard-line networking idea.

See if you can get a contractor to use the phone lines to pull a bundle of Ethernet lines and then add dual/quad port jacks where the current jacks are. When the cable is already run and they can use it as a pull they can get the work done a lot quicker / cheaper.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shot in the dark here. I have 2 Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N routers running the Buffalo DD-WRT build 19154. The LAN ports are only negotiating at 100Mb. Tried both routers, multiple Cat 5e cables, and 4 different PCs / laptops. I know it negotiated at 1Gb at some point. Anyone have any ideas? Or should I just get two new wireless routers at this point?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had one of those myself and yeah, they're not gig ports.

Well then, sorry for the dumb question. I must have been looking at the wrong model and hallucinated it working at some point. Thank you!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I picked up a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite about 2 weeks ago and I'm not super impressed with it. I upgraded to the 1.4 firmware as soon as I opened the box, but I am running into an issue where the router reboots itself. It completely stops responding to ping and when it comes back up the uptime is reset. I looked at the basic logs I could find in the GUI and there's nothing. Has anyone else been having issues or have any ideas on where I should start?

[Edit: Actually, I think it may be overheating. Going to try increasing airflow.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 6, 2014

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

So I picked up a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite about 2 weeks ago and I'm not super impressed with it. I upgraded to the 1.4 firmware as soon as I opened the box, but I am running into an issue where the router reboots itself. It completely stops responding to ping and when it comes back up the uptime is reset. I looked at the basic logs I could find in the GUI and there's nothing. Has anyone else been having issues or have any ideas on where I should start?

[Edit: Actually, I think it may be overheating. Going to try increasing airflow.]

So the actual cause of this problem is that the power adapter had somehow come loose... Looks like I am 0 for 2 in this thread. I think I'll stop posting now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MMD3 posted:

yeah, I can browse to it in Map Networked Drive but it won't let me select the Diskstation at the top level.

I probably should have posted this in the storage thread, sorry if this is the wrong place.

Yeah, that's really more of a storage thread thing but the reason is because the root folder is not shared. I think there is a hack you can do to share it, but I just made one shared folder to map and put everything else in that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My network infrastructure Kung Fu is pretty crap, but I would plug my computer into the switch and not go through the router. If there isn't enough ports, I would buy a new switch and put PoE stuff on the old one, non-PoE stuff in the new one. Hang the PoE one off the new switch.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You shouldn't have local and non-local DNS in your DNS server list. There is no guarantee that it will check them in order. It isn't a priority list.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really like my Ubiquity Edgerouter Lite, but it took a little more work to get going and I haven't really setup QoS yet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

slidebite posted:

My inlaws are in the planing stages of building a new home and they've asked our thoughts on things the home should include and one of the things that came up is internet/networking.

My thoughts are that they should run cat6 in the walls and have it in most rooms for internet and entertainment. Mrs. Slidebite seems to think that wireless is good enough and will only get better going forward.

Assuming they could get the Cat6 run at the same time as the electrical/phone lines, I really don't think it'll cost that much extra so it should get done for (I hate this phrase) future proofing.

Thoughts?

Run the Cat6. It's not even a question.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Unifi WAP Pro.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, sorry, I meant the UAP non-pro. I wouldn't even bother with the LR model

Wait, are you actually doing 100 connections per WAP? That may be a bit much for the standard UAP. Has anyone run with that many before? My standard for those WAPs is more like 25 or so.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 23, 2014

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Have you tried resetting it to factory Defaults? Should be a tiny pin hole button on the back. That will reset it to the default IP, username, and password.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Did the Roku get a new IP on the new subnet? That or the DNS is not right on it are the only things I can think of. Can you ping it from your computer?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

caberham posted:

Anyone here have any links or resources for learning more about basic Active Directory?

I just want to have a server storing different computer's private profiles and data. That way, I can buy new machines/reformat computers without much hassle setting everything up

For home use there are a million better ways of syncing or storing your personal data on a NAS that don't involve Active Directory.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, you need something with controller software installed. Just to configure it initially, it doesn't need to stay on. You can also configure it to sync to a controller outside of that subnet if you are looking to manage multiple locations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

burnsep posted:

Thanks for your help!

The router is second hand so I guess I'll just have to buy a new one if this one craps out.

One final question- everything's working and I got Unblock.us on a new network. Netflix and Amazon Prime are working perfectly, but I can't purchase new content on Amazon because it detects that I'm outside the US. Does anybody have any insight into why that could be?

No experience with any of that, but billing address on your credit card maybe?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Looks like my project this rainy weekend will be figuring out what the hell is going on with the CAT5 in my new apartment. There is at least one drop to every room, but a quick glance into the wiring cabinet makes me think it's only set up for phone service. I'll have to take a look again in the daylight and see what can be done with it, but I might end up swapping the punch-down block to something more appropriate.

Or I might just scrap the project entirely since Wi-Fi is working remarkably well, but it irks me to see those plugs on the wall going to waste. At a minimum I'd like to at least get the one behind the entertainment unit serving the TV, Apple TV, etc.

If they only ran 2-pair wire instead of CAT5 then can use the 2-pair as a pullstring and get real wiring in for much cheaper. That said, I can't imagine they installed RJ-45 jacks and only used 2 pair. Maybe they only punched down 2-pair but ran CAT5?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm assuming you mean Google's DNS settings?

Are you running an ad-blocker? Have you tried alternative browsers? Does the same thing happen to multiple PCs / devices?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As far as I know, that's about what you can expect from wireless. The only thing that would help is a less noisy channel and making sure you are not using higher width channels (20hz / 40hz / 60hz)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just use draw.io instead of installing something.

:aaaaa:

How have I not heard of this before? I've only used Visio / Gliffy in the past. This seems pretty awesome for a free product.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you are on the same subnet, you should be able to access them through name via NetBIOS. You could also edit the hosts file of your PCs, but that is kind of ghetto. Otherwise, yes, a DNS server is what you need. There are a lot of lightweight options there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Antillie posted:

As cool as $50 wired gigabit router is I will take my pfSense box over it any day. I doubt it does gigabit OpenVPN or IPSec. If it does those things at all. In fact I am also skeptical it can do gigabit firewall duty. Just routing packets is not the same as doing stateful inspection.

In fact I don't see a PPS rating anywhere so I'm not even sure it's really a gigabit router at all. I hope I am horribly wrong but it might just be a 400-700mbps router with gigabit ports depending on traffic conditions.

The general geek in me is jumping for joy at cool network hardware getting so cheap. However the network engineer in me wants more data before making a call on this.

I would think if you need more horsepower than it can handle, you jump up to a EdgeRouter Lite for $100.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Since we're talking about EdgeRotuers again, I had to swap mine out because my wife's VOIP for work from Broadsmart wouldn't work. We replaced it with a Linksys box, but I'd love to put the EdgeRouter back in. I just had the basic config from this guide - http://wiki.ubnt.com/SOHO_Edgemax_Example.

Does anyone with more VOIP experience than I know what I would have to set up? It seems like the Linksys just had some VOIP rules built-in that I would have to do by hand on the EdgeRouter, and that's a bit outside of my experience.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Rukus posted:

You'd want to use their traffic-shaper command to guarantee bandwidth to the VoIP device: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Configuration-Examples/EdgeMAX-Quality-of-Service-for-Voice-Over-IP-QoS-for-VoIP/ta-p/529077

This can also be modified for other devices as well (like for a device streaming Netflix). In the linked example he's prioritizing the DSCP traffic associated with VoIP, but it can easily be changed to an IP or MAC address.

Sorry, I was not clear in my question. The calls basically just do not come through at all. It's not a bandwidth issue.

CrazyLittle posted:

also this line:
code:
set system conntrack modules sip disable

This seems like this may be exactly it. Interesting. Will do some research and give it a shot!

Thank you both for the quick responses.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Moey posted:

Sonicwall is point and click?

Yeah. One of these things is not like the other.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I actually really like the HP CLI too, although I've only had to use it once or twice.

I like HP's CLI and their little CLI menu. It's great for documenting stuff so other people can deploy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't really see why this thread would need to get into m0n0wall or pfsense other than just mentioning they exist. If someone is savvy enough to use that at home they are savvy enough to do their own research. This thread is in dire need of an update on "the basics." Just my opinion.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Basic Setup:
https://wiki.ubnt.com/SOHO_Edgemax_Example

Source IP routing with failover:
https://wiki.ubnt.com/EdgePBR

If you want to do by destination port (HTTP/HTTPS one way, FTP another):
https://wiki.ubnt.com/EdgeOS_PBR_Destination_Based

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So because I spent tonight dealing with this poo poo... Comcast must have turned something IPv6 related on a week or so ago that caused all the Android devices in my house to slow for a crawl when they initiated a connection. It almost looked like a DNS issue in that after 10-20 seconds the device would response fine. Speed tests were fine once they started. Had to turn IPv6 off on my router and that fixed the issue. Non-android devices on the wireless were also fine. So yeah, if you run into that one...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lampey posted:

Around half of the us is on ipv6 now. Comcast in particular had a huge rollout two years ago. I would try to narrow down your networking issue. Are all of your android devices running gingerbread or older? Could you try going to an ipv6 only site to see if it has the same problem?

4 devices, all Nexus with the latest updates.

SamDabbers posted:

Do you have a 16x4 channel modem? Apparently there's a firmware issue with modems that use a particular Broadcom chipset where the modem will drop several IPv6 TCP SYN packets from Linux hosts before letting one through, causing a delay in connection setup time of up to multiple whole seconds. Windows hosts don't seem to be affected. There are reports that the Moto/Arris SB6183 and SMC D3CM1604 both exhibit the issue, which points to a firmware bug. According to the thread I linked, there are engineers at Arris and Comcast trying to replicate the problem, and they supposedly have a ticket open with Broadcom as well.

This sounds like it, thank you. Awesome find. Will do some reading and let you guys know what I run into.

[Edit: Hmm... I have a SB 6141 that is 8x4, which I'm not sure is affected. Will keep reading.]
[Edit2: "TCP connections over IPv6 handshake just as quickly as over IPv4 on Windows machines, but Linux (including Android) and FreeBSD machines on my network take up to tens of seconds with lots of SYN retransmissions before there's any reply from the remote hosts." This does sound exactly like my issue, although I haven't busted out Wireshark. Will just keep IPv6 disabled for now and keep an eye on that thread. Thanks again.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 16, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Even if they did, which they probably don't, would you want to go to court over that? Think it will be fun?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That latency is perfectly fine and won't affect bandwidth. It's almost certainly an ISP not having enough bandwidth on the hop to another peer. Cogent is infamous for having lovely peering agreements.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There are also a bunch of free options if you have a smartphone.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Setting it up is a chore. They made setting it up as a service a little easier, but still not acceptable. That being said, you can easily make backups of your config and you can reset the password if you've forgotten it..?

And are you really complaining that you use a web browser to manage something?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

So a while back I asked if there was a way to set an application's affinity to a specific adapter. Flip side of that question: is there a way to specify the default adapter preference that everything will use? It definitely seems like Windows has one, since my laptop will prefer the wifi until I manually cycle the adapter to force ethernet to be the default.

It should prefer ethernet over wifi by default, but I have seen it not. Check this out - http://superuser.com/questions/247601/make-windows-7-ignore-wifi-when-ethernet-is-available

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't really see how that's all that different than a normal "taking over for a clueless person" scenario.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's really trivial to reset the password on the Unifi controller. It's not exactly rare to need Java to run a server. It's a pain, but it's not unheard of. And if you don't have access to the controller, all you need to do is stand up a new one and factory reset the WAPs. As long as you know the wifi SSID and password, you can set it back up and all the client devices will connect. And it's not like not having access to the controller is a production down event, the WAPs will keep working just fine with it offline.

I get that you like Mikrotik stuff, and while I haven't worked with them I'm sure they're great. And I know you do mostly smaller jobs (IIRC), but what your criticizing isn't really all that outrageous. Minus the situation with the IT dude who doesn't like doing documentation (I'm shocked.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Quick sanity check because I haven't worked with Unifi's Nanostations before. 500 foot gap with LOS, Nanostation locoM2 would be good? If there is LOS, any reason not to put it on the inside of a window on both sides? And I assume it is just a layer 2 link, so it would be on the same subnet?