Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
After reading this thread, I've come down to the WNDR 3700 and the WNDR 4000.

Think it's worth the extra $30 for the 4000? Anyone familiar with how the claims re: extra range and extra speed stack up in practice?

fake edit: Also thinking about the ASUS RT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Devian666 posted:

For best performance on a 3700 check that it's a 3700v2. I'm skeptical about any extra range but the 4000 has better wan to lan throughput and possibly better wireless speed (it does have a higher peak speed if you have anything that supports it).

I'm pretty happy with my 3700 but extra money where it may not make a difference to you typically isn't worth it.

Thanks for the tip. This is the 3700 and this is the 4000

Am I correct that the 3700 is v1, so should I go for the 4000?

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

I got my WNDR 4000.... Big, big props. I'm very happy with it. I live in an area with a ton of other wireless networks and always have problems with interference. Since my upgrade, my day-to-day wireless speed has increased - literally - by over 20x. God bless 5ghz.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Router upstairs, computer downstairs, under a desk. Should I get a PCI wireless adapter or a USB one with a separate antenna that I can run into a better position if necessary?

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Any recommendations for a 5ghz adapter? I'm in a high traffic area and I love the 5ghz signal from the WNDR 4000 that I get on my laptop, but I've got a new desktop and am having a hard time finding something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Erdricks posted:

Any recommendations for a 5ghz adapter? I'm in a high traffic area and I love the 5ghz signal from the WNDR 4000 that I get on my laptop, but I've got a new desktop and am having a hard time finding something.

Anyone?