Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suddenly Tentacles
Sep 14, 2008

Diseased Dick Guy posted:

Forgive the slight derail, but if you're interested in all that parenting psychology stuff, here's another great article from the Atlantic.

I wouldn't worry so much about screwing up your kid at one year old by telling him he's smart. He can't really understand you in the same way the kids in that experiment could. On top of that, you're not going to destroy his ability to identify his nose if you praise him for doing it. This stuff comes in more when they're learning skills. You want to praise them for their hard work instead of their innate ability, because there is no innate math or bike riding or drawing ability. On the other hand, learning to use your body and language, etc in infancy is innate and it's ok to exclaim how smart they are. I think it is really more the fact that it is amazing for us as fully developed adults in close contact with a "lesser" developed creature to see that creature doing intelligent things. Almost like it catches us off guard and we just have to say "Wow look how smart you are!"

Again, sorry for the derail! For the record, I had people always telling me how well I drew too when I was younger and it sucked so much because I was looking for them to give me insight on how to improve and it was always just "you're already so good! I wish I could do that!"

It is, however, a good time to work at getting into the habit-- right now, any slips ups won't have much of an impact at all.

And holy poo poo, the article describes my childhood exactly; my lack of trying for fear of failing is something me and my therapist have been working on for a while now. Just, holy poo poo.

Point of curiosity; a self-taught writers welcome? I have a bit of talent for drawing and I would like to develop it, but I write too. Not to mention NaNoWriMo is coming up here in November and I'm going to need something more to keep me motivated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suddenly Tentacles
Sep 14, 2008
Uh, you should probably link that last image and tag it with :nws:.

Suddenly Tentacles
Sep 14, 2008

Kismet posted:

Oh, and anybody reading the thread and keeping quiet, thinking "I'll give this challenge a miss and do the next one, I can't draw without lines." this challenge is for you.

That's a drat dirty trick. :argh:

Here's my submission then; charcoal, half an hour, and surprisingly fun.

Slightly blurry cellphone pic and pretty hosed up overall, but I'm ridiculously proud it's even recognizable.

Reference is here; I'm a sucker for overly dramatic lighting.

• Locked thread