Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
There's nothing wind-pissy at all about self-teaching. In my experience, the best use for formal education is to refine skills that you've already begun to develop in yourself because you were interested in them. If you're not already trying to do what you want to some extent, what makes you think that shelling out extra money is going to motivate you further? (hint: it won't)

I think the thread is a great idea, especially for those who don't have the time, money or desire to set aside their entire lives to go back to (art) school. That is what I'm currently doing, so I probably won't be able to participate much, but there is absolutely no reason not to pursue art in a more laid-back and group-oriented (and free!) fashion if that's what people want to do, especially if they're willing to look and think critically on their own work and others'.

Grantaire fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
If you're just starting out, there's no need to get fancy with your art supplies. Honestly, one of my favorite drawing tools is a .7 mechanical pencil. :v: Otherwise (if you want more variety than that) you should pick up a simple pack of three or so different drawing pencils just so you can play around some more with things like value and line quality. An eraser too, of course.

I wouldn't personally recommend going further than that until you've gotten yourself drawing in a way that you can correct your mistakes. Pens and brushes are sort of secondary to the drawing process unless you're adventurous and like to draw directly in ink. I'm not sure this would be helpful to you until you've practiced in pencil for a while though!

With drawing as your goal, all you need to start out is pencils and paper. :) You can go for more exciting things later.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
I think an important clarification for the thread is that it is not here to turn anyone into a professional. Beat., I think your concerns are justified, but I'm under the impression that this is here for hobbyists and for people who always thought 'I wish I drew more/at all' rather than people who want to make a living on it.

I'm speaking as someone who wants to make a living on it and is currently in grad school for my chosen field. I'm not sure yet if I'll try to improve anything through this thread or if I'll just be a cheerleader/helpful extra eye, but I still want to encourage other people to post in it. We can always furiously derail for pages every time people disagree on something that's being said to one of the participants.

Speaking of which, .7 is objectively the best mechanical pencil lead size and anyone who disagrees with me is a straight-up moron

• Locked thread