Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«53 »
hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Top Shot
Good final 4 here. I think Gary getting to pass into the final 4 without the elimination match should put him square with Mike coming back. Alex seemed like an okay guy, but he seemed like one of those dudes that just barely squeaked by for most of the season. I had the same feeling about Chris, but tonight he really smoked that circle course.

Dustin continues to be some kind of boy wizard.

American Guns
Rich and his family oddly enough do not strike me as tremendous douchebags. Based on what you guys were talking about regarding Sons of Guns, it's nice to see a shop actually be able to use a CNC machine to make things. I only saw the first episode, but they're a business and they're pricing and selling things to earn a living, so I can respect that. I've been in so many gun shops that just don't give a poo poo that it's kind of nice to see one that's well-kept and where people generally know what they're talking about.

Granted, I might change my mind on this, but I'd watch another episode or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

hangedman posted:

it's nice to see a shop actually be able to use a CNC machine to make things. I only saw the first episode, but they're a business and they're pricing and selling things to earn a living, so I can respect that.
FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for an SAA clone.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

Their price means nothing if someone isn't willing to buy it. If people want to pay that much let them, a fool and his money and such.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Diggie posted:

Their price means nothing if someone isn't willing to buy it. If people want to pay that much let them, a fool and his money and such.
A rich fool. I just wonder if they feel like 15 grand. I wasn't exactly impressed with the way they built the preacher's gun. It was nice, but not ten grand nice.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Hold your stomach until the end

Mad Dragon posted:

A rich fool. I just wonder if they feel like 15 grand. I wasn't exactly impressed with the way they built the preacher's gun. It was nice, but not ten grand nice.
Had the gold been solid inlay rather than paint-on leaf, and the collar made from platinum instead of what looked like white paint, and the grips antique ivory stock or whale tooth or some bs, then maybe many thousands? But my admittedly amateur opinion would say it was a nice gun (whatever the base price is) with $1000 or so in custom gunsmithing and engraving and painting on it.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sten Freak posted:

..it was a nice gun (whatever the base price is) with $1000 or so in custom gunsmithing and engraving and painting on it.

So, $1500.

Who had that matched pair of semi-custom revolvers? How much were those?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Stephanie Hayden "Sons of Guns" posted:

Much love guys and gals! Not too much longer and we will be back!! (November) This seasons really gonna throw you for a loop! Hope your ready!!! Lots of changes and lots of the crazy builds you guys love!! (my fav being one you probably wont see till almost the end of next season, but it was the scariest thing ive ever ummm,"shot?"lol!) Cant wait for you guys to see it!!! ~XOXOX~!!
Black cock?

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010

*presses lunk alarm*

Daddy's pretty little princess.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Diggie posted:

That's what I appreciate about Rich and Renee's attitude when I watch the show: they seem like decent businesspeople. They buy low and sell at a price that allows them to keep the doors open, and their clientele isn't made up of cynical/knowledgeable twenty and thirty-something gun enthusiasts who actually know the worth of things.

I would venture to guess that quite a few people here would probably spend that same $10,000 (assuming it had to be spent on that kind of gun) on a second-generation Colt SAA and then send it to someplace like Turnbull or Heritage or Hamilton Bowen to get something that oozes quality by any measurable standard.

But for certain people with a lot of disposable income, there's something brag-worthy about being able to say that someone made you your gun from scratch out of a solid block of steel. And there was a fair amount of work that went into it. I guess what I'm saying is that there's a novelty in paying someone $5,000 to reinvent the wheel just for you.

Let me share with you all a story:

My uncle is a completely insufferable son of a bitch. He's also a multi-millionaire. I will probably never see any of this money after he keels over because I haven't talked to him in the better part of 10 years. He's a loudmouth, braggart, and incapable of seeing any perspective other than his own. He will defer to no one's expertise because they're not as rich as he is.

He and his friend were out hunting in Central California. At the end of their trip, they stayed at a hotel and requested Martinis made with Bombay Sapphire Gin. The bartender told them that they didn't stock the gin. (Presumably, they only had Tanqueray.) My uncle and his friend's response was not to change their drink order, but to have a helicopter pick them up and fly them to a new hotel that had Sapphire.

For most of my life, I thought that Bombay Sapphire was some kind of super-high grade, unobtainable gin. When I realized that I could buy said gin, affordable on my income of less than $30,000 a year and available at just about every grocery store in the country, it was an eye-opening experience.

My uncle was willing to pay for the cost of a helicopter pilot's time and fuel (I'm guessing somewhere on the order of $2,000 to $4,000) because he was a whiny bitch and couldn't have his $10 cocktail just so. I could see how Gunsmoke would want to court people exactly like my uncle who would be willing to overpay for something on the order of more than $7,000 just so they could say that they owned a luxury item more rare or more labor-intensive than something their friend had.

Which, admittedly, is smart loving business if I understand Gunsmoke right.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

Tanqueray is better tasting anyway.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

Phil Morden talks about all the stuff they didn't show you of Jake on Top Shot, because they couldn't air it on TV. Also, he talks about Jake leaving.

http://www.examiner.com/firearms-in...p-shot-season-3

quote:

Jake, on the other hand, was. There were times he was ten or twenty times worse then they can show on cable television because they canít bleep out that many words in an hour-long segment. This is supposed to be a family show and it turned into some MTV thing with him constantly swearing. People have asked me, since Iíve gotten home, if he was really like that in real life and I have to tell them at times it was worse. This is surprising to them because they canít fathom how it could be worse then what is portrayed on TV.

6675636b20796f75
Sep 3, 2003

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

Tanqueray is better tasting anyway.

It's Hendricks>Bombay Sapphire>Tanqueray Rangpur>Beefeater>Tanqueray

Also, the chair in the reverse zipline challenge looked like an office chair.

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

Mad Dragon posted:

just when I thought sons of guns was bad, poo poo gets ultra real.

Top Shot: That ferris wheel challenge looked hard as gently caress. Colby's teeth were extra white.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

front wing flexing posted:

It's Hendricks>Bombay Sapphire>Tanqueray Rangpur>Beefeater>Tanqueray

Also, the chair in the reverse zipline challenge looked like an office chair.

For Martinis, I would argue:
Hendricks>Junipero=Tanqueray 10>Bombay Sapphire>Tanqueray Rangpur>Beefeater>Tanqueray

However, for a gin & tonic, the order shifts to favour a more botanical bouquet:
Farmer's Botanical small batch organic>>Bombay Sapphire>Tanqueray 10>Tanqueray>Junipero>Hendricks

For gin & juice, you want lots of aromatic components:
Junipero>>Tanqueray>Tanqueray 10>Bombay Sapphire

Of course, in all of these, the gin is only part of the equation. A martini must have adequate, quality vermouth, otherwise it is cold gin. A good tonic with adequate quinine is near-impossible to find in this century but perhaps less difficult than the waning years of the last one. And I know that reasonable people can differ on this and I respect them, but the proper juice for a gin & juice is fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. The remainder of the battle consists of ensuring that any absolute douchebags in the area are convinced that there's a helicopter that will take them to a better place.

Now at least you will have a pleasant thing to drink in a nice atmosphere while you watch awful TV shows.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

since we're talking
about primaries

I've come to the conclusion that this is playing on permanent loop in Jake's head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYaQgp8DFCk

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I've come to the conclusion that this is playing on permanent loop in Jake's head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYaQgp8DFCk
Anytime Colby smiles, this goes off in my brain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1uaGkwmDa0

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

"Wouldn't want to see an angry turtle with a gun, would ya? "

Well...

Watched american guns with my fiancee last night. During the shooting sequence, she just had one question - "Why the hell is that guy touching the shooter the whole time?"
I didn't have an answer.

Also what the gently caress who set up that last target? That seemed ridiculously dangerous.

Schigolch
Apr 30, 2008

Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb, make thee?

Not sure what the answer would be in his case, but if I were doing it it would be so that the shooter a) didn't forget I was there and b) could be partially prevented from turning towards me with a pistol in-hand.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Well...

Alternatively: ready to use the preacher as a human shield in case the discovery assholes overcharged an explosive target

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Looks like RJF is selling Mega piston guns now.

How much for this fine product?

$2,285.00

PRE-ORDER YOURS NOW!

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Mad Dragon posted:

$2,285.00

PRE-ORDER YOURS NOW!

RJF posted:

nothing like it is available on the market!

6675636b20796f75
Sep 3, 2003

thermobollocks posted:

If people believe that and don't do any research then they deserve that gun at that price.

Besides, if you say something enough times it makes it true.

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Gamechanger going on here! loving game changers!

Packed Lunch
Jul 25, 2007

I don't get why "game changer" is a good thing.

Having a game of rugby break out during a game of pool would be disruptive & confusing.

Lincoln`s Wax
Apr 30, 2000
DRONE METAL
SUPERGROUP

Packed Lunch posted:

Having a game of rugby break out during a game of pool would be disruptive & confusing.

I'd watch that until my eyes fell out.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

You are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata.

Packed Lunch posted:

That sounds like a great thing, guy.

Facepuncher
May 6, 2007

American Guns is so scripted that it is almost painful to watch. And I actually kind of like Sons of Guns.

Also, if some dude was trying to buy something from me and put a lowball offer down on the table in cash and told me "Pick that up in ten seconds or I am going to walk out of here with it" I would tell him to go gently caress himself. What a douchebag.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Deathstork the Terminator

Packed Lunch posted:

What about chess-boxing?

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

$2,285.00

PRE-ORDER YOURS NOW!

I assume this price includes the lightning and the homely girl?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Well...

As someone living in the Sonoran desert it actually really bothers me they're using that as a backdrop. No saguaros in Washington or Louisiana or wherever they are

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What about chess-boxing?

I will never reveal the Wu-Tang secret.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Mad Dragon posted:

This photo reminds me of a wolf and moon t shirt. That is not a good thing.

Force McCocken
Dec 9, 2004
Rational political thought and discourse is dead. Personally, I blame you.

Facepuncher posted:

American Guns is so scripted that it is almost painful to watch. And I actually kind of like Sons of Guns.

I haven't seen American Guns, but it couldn't possibly feel more scripted than Sons of Guns, could it? I mean, from the "Hi, I'm a random customer, totally not an actor, and was wondering if you could make me a fully-automatic 18" battleship gun" to the painfully forced quasi-romance thing between mouse-girl and weasel-boy, it is just straight out difficult to watch. You know how sometimes you get uncomfortable because you're embarrassed for the performer? That's how Sons of Guns feels to me.

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

All I can see is....

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

Fat Ogre posted:

All I can see is....

AHAHAHAHAHA

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Force McCocken posted:

I haven't seen American Guns, but it couldn't possibly feel more scripted than Sons of Guns, could it? I mean, from the "Hi, I'm a random customer, totally not an actor, and was wondering if you could make me a fully-automatic 18" battleship gun" to the painfully forced quasi-romance thing between mouse-girl and weasel-boy, it is just straight out difficult to watch. You know how sometimes you get uncomfortable because you're embarrassed for the performer? That's how Sons of Guns feels to me.

It is more of a family interaction show and a "I am going to take a loving nice helicopter to buy a gun for $10k because that is financially reasonable There is a bit less customer interaction than on Sons of Guns. A lot more fake breasts. Explosions and high speed camera shots are also carried over from the other show.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I like turtles posted:

As someone living in the Sonoran desert it actually really bothers me they're using that as a backdrop. No saguaros in Washington or Louisiana or wherever they are

That's in her "fan art" folder, if that makes any difference.

Basically, yeah. If some rich shithead flew to my house in a loving helicopter and tried to give me a ~$100 chunk of silver instead of the extra 50% I want for my gun, I'd tell him to pack sand.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Mad Dragon posted:

That's in her "fan art" folder, if that makes any difference.

Her, as in she has a website? I need this yesterday please.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

WouldDesk posted:

Her, as in she has a website? I need this yesterday please.

Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Step...13777398?ref=ts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

The most dangerous thing on the battlefield is a junior officer with a compass and a map.

Fat Ogre posted:

All I can see is....

Should say "GAME CHANGER"

«53 »