Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Bummey
May 26, 2004

You are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata.

Jake's little temper tantrum was surprisingly weak. I was expecting a proper nuclear meltdown, not a handful of snap pops thrown on the sidewalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Anta posted:

I don't know about the rest of it, but from what I could see (and some of the other competitors also noticed and commented on) the malfunctions were completely his own fault. Anyone who has shot a 1911 or 2011 in competition knows that you have to ride the safety, because if you don't, you will inadvertently activate it when it recoils.

They definitely showed that part, but they could have edited out any other problems. If something went wrong, the producers would want to show that it was the shooter's fault, not the gun's fault. Remember, they're advertising products on this show just as much as anything else.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Was it that it failed to go into battery or did Jake just not know how a 1911 works? I saw him pounding the slide, but I didn't see any reason to think that was the problem.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

I didn't watch all of last season, but did Ashley really act like a bitch? I thought TFR liked him. What little I saw made me think he was a good competitor.

The Ashley love was mostly due to serious mancrushing. Dude was a looker. They also edited out a large amount of his crazy until the very end. His post-elimination Facebook rants were an eye opener.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Packed Lunch posted:

I don't get why "game changer" is a good thing.

Having a game of rugby break out during a game of pool would be disruptive & confusing.

That sounds like a great thing, guy.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

and that's the special introductory price, too.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

The BAR's fire rate isn't that high so it would be more like slightly faster semi auto shooting. And it's heavy as gently caress.

Also I saw an atalatl in the opening montage. Looks like you all are going to get your wish from the last thread.

Edit: it didn't take long for someone to get creepy and fondle/tickle Michelle.

vv Oh, I have no doubt it would be fun. I was just saying its probably not as punishing as Cyrano was suggesting.

Bummey fucked around with this message at Feb 22, 2012 around 04:57

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

Chee has an awesome angry face.

I don't know... when they were sitting around talking about who to send to elimination I was afraid Gabby was going to jump through the screen and strangle me. She wins angry face, hands down.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I'm watching Top Guns and Colby's voice changes dramatically between his voiceover/presenter roles and the times when he's sitting in front of the interview camera. He really hams it up when it's action time.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Spigs posted:

Anyne else get the sense that while Michelle can shoot, she was planted by the producers with explicit instructions to add sex appeal? All her interviews came off like she was reading cue cards and she works as a model in the firearms industry. Not saying I dislike her, just that she was clearly cast knowing her role was not to win, just to flirt and add that element to the show.

Here's her audition video. You could say that she knew some tricks to increase her chances of being picked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yMmqX90iW8

Awkward script reading, too loud music obscuring half her words and sexy pictures interspersed between takes of shooting. I don't wonder what the producers were focusing on when they watched that.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Spigs posted:

Hly crap I haven't heard AFI in I don't know how long, really that's her video?

Obviously there's more to the audition than just a single video, but that's her initial submission, yeah.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I could get lost in those eyes

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

How much time does pass between episodes? From the way people act towards each other, it seems to me like the whole thing takes more than 12 days or however long to do.

I think a couple days pass between each episode and at least a day before each event. Last episode they practiced for elimination in the morning, then competes for elimination the next morning. I assume the same happens with regular events. They need at least a day between each event to cultivate drama and get extra show footage.

I'm really hating this Guy Ferry looking motherfucker.

Bummey fucked around with this message at Feb 29, 2012 around 19:41

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Ferry. His name is Ferry. He changed his name to a more ethnic one when he started getting into cooking because he felt it would give him more credibility as a TV Chef.

Sure, that was his mother's name before she came to Ellis Island, but that would be like me changing back to my full Armenian name after moving somewhere with a lot of Armenians just so they'd see me as one of their own (I do totally hate my Americanized name though and would have loved to have kept the original). The thought is fine in theory, but the timing and motives are scummy.

Also he's totally loving obnoxious, a HUGE racist, bigot and homophobe to boot. He's an all around piece of human garbage that doesn't deserve the air he breathes.

So about Top Shot. Bummer ending to this episode. At least I have Justified to bring me back up.

Bummey fucked around with this message at Feb 29, 2012 around 23:47

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Mad Dragon posted:

I watch Justified "live" and the DVR of Top Shot the next night. Gotta get your priorities straight.

I never watch live TV. I get irrationally angry at commercials. I hate being advertised to, especially when it's the same drat set of commercials that play every break. It doesn't help that commercials nowadays are going the way of HILARIOUSLY RANDOM YouTube videos made by 12 year olds.

I'm dumb and a giant baby.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Flikken posted:

Michelle went home?

Spoiler alert. Yes.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

My people were slaughtered wholesale by the Turkish in a genocide that's unknown to most of the world and barely acknowledged, if not flat out denied, by the Turks themselves.

I like turtles posted:

White people desperately seeking cultural identity.

Basically. My grandfather died before I was born and I have no connection at all with that part of family history short of what I've read about it.

Bummey fucked around with this message at Mar 13, 2012 around 02:31

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Maybe she was referring to any sort of gun fluid. Oil, solvent, lubricant. Hoppes smells wonderful in a "I shouldn't enjoy it too much or I'll end up on the street" sort of way.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I had the last episode of Top Guns sitting on my dvr for a while and finally got around to watching (a few minutes of) it, but the voice track was missing. Music and gun shots and everything else came through fine, just no voices. Was it just me? I know my cable company's dvr is a piece of poo poo, but that's an odd error.

Bummey fucked around with this message at Mar 20, 2012 around 21:02

Bummey
May 26, 2004

This cannon group challenge is a lot like the 1000 meter Barrett shot from second season. Each person is building off the shot of the previous person. It seems unfair because the first few people are of course going to poo poo the bed. At least it's a team event, but that still leads the problem with the first two or three shooters to be voted off through little to no fault of their own.

Maybe I should wait until this segment is over before posting about it.

Edit: and it comes down to two boys wanting to fight at the flag pole. Of course.

Bummey fucked around with this message at Mar 21, 2012 around 20:18

Bummey
May 26, 2004

infrared35 posted:

I made a joke about running a 3-gun event with my T/C Contender (.223 barrel for pistol and rifle stages, .410 barrel for shotgun stages, with barrel swaps on the clock) and now I think I lost a dare or something unless I actually do it.

That sounds totally great and you should do it. To hell with scores. You and everyone else there will get a kick out of it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Jake was a tremendous douche and a giant baby, but he straight smoked everyone in elimination. Did he even miss once during an elimination? He probably would have won that final elimination if he didn't cry his way off the show, too.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Oh dear, someone here is going to have a heart attack during the next episode of Top Guns. Quoting the promo, "the best battle rifle ever made" is going to be showcased.

Bummey fucked around with this message at Apr 5, 2012 around 01:00

Bummey
May 26, 2004

5er posted:

Sounds like something that has high probability to end up in the 'tacticlol' thread.

Milsurp thread, more likely. Assuming it's not banned from discussion over there.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

infrared35 posted:

But they already featured the SMLE on Top Shot.

Er, maybe I should have worded that better. The advert for the next episode of Top Guns touted the Lee Enfield as "the best battle rifle ever made." I was (poorly) commenting on how that's going to rankle some feathers around here.

vvv I am awful at detecting sarcasm in text. I'm pretty bad at everything.

Bummey fucked around with this message at Apr 5, 2012 around 03:15

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Facepuncher posted:

The only thing I really enjoy about all of these gun shows (even Top Shot) is the gratuitous use of high speed cameras.

They should just cut out the middle man and make a show that is only high speed camera footage of guns firing and bullets impacting different objects. Kind of minimalist like "How It's Made", with a low-key narrator and maybe focus on two or three different guns each episode.

"How It's Unmade"

I will never not be fascinated by high speed photography. I don't care what's happening, as long as it's super slow motion I'm keyed in. I'm like a child in a dinosaur museum whenever I see that stuff. Or an adult in a dinosaur museum.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I like turtles posted:

You've seen my YouTube channel right?

http://youtube.com/hijakk

I have now!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

infrared35 posted:

I loved that what's-his-face hit the takedown lever instead of the safety on the eff ay ell.

On the recent episode of Top Shot? Because I definitely remember British guy doing that, multiple times, on the previous season.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Just say gently caress

Bummey
May 26, 2004

is reality show, is drama. The shops that are truly about craftsmanship aren't going to seek out trashy History/Science/Learning Channel/Fart Network reality shows.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

How can you be fat and addicted to meth?

You get fat first!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Oh no Gabby and Chee

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Mad Dragon posted:

I don't know why she's asking for people to forgive him. Are fans really getting mad because some dude from some crappy TV show isn't keeping his FB up to date?

This isn't your first day on the internet; of course fans (of the kind who get invested in shlock like Sons of Guns) are going to be upset if their reality show celebrity doesn't post often enough.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Mad Dragon posted:

Bad news: Gabby is gone

Good news: George is piloting the SS Failboat to the one-mile range.

I haven't watched it yet and, forgetting what thread I was in, I hovered over the spoiler.

If George comes back maybe that'll help ease the pain.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

You'll notice that sometimes they will twist the knobs on the scope before they shoot, but I don't know whether they're adjusting magnification or the zero based on the previous user's shot.

There's also a lot of talk from previous competitors about all the poo poo that happens between shots. They don't go up and bang bang bang one right after the other.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

George is back! No Georgeisms so far, though.

WHO IS THIS MAN AND WHAT DID HE DO WITH JACK DAGGER? Jack Dagger without his cowboy hat is no Jack Dagger. Jaaaack Dagger.

Schiavona posted:

Goddamn did they really start playing funk when William took his poo poo?

I was expecting that after reading your post but it still caught me off guard. God drat.

Bummey fucked around with this message at Jul 11, 2013 around 17:51

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Mad Dragon posted:

But it doesn't have the same ring as atlatl battle.

A Battlatl

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Shooting upside down is the complete opposite of shooting right side up? You don't say, William.

Man, that guy is bland, and I don't really understand why he's there. He may be a good shooter but I can't say that I've noticed anything about him. His complete lack of a personality isn't normally the sort of thing producers look for when casting a reality show, even one as low grade as this. Is his shooting that good?

Granted, he had real things to say about how the gravity and recoil affects your shooting differently when the gun is weighted in the opposite direction, but his delivery was so sterile that I zoned out almost immediately.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

What's that giant dot optic they're using on the volquartzen? 10/22? It's huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Isn't that one totally awful? Like, circuitry reflecting into the reticle awful? Also it's huge.

edit: Haha, yup.

http://www.thebangswitch.com/trijic...gh-end-failure/

expand to full size

Bummey fucked around with this message at Jul 25, 2013 around 19:59

«2 »