Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

As Nero Danced posted:

That's a gorgeous Indian.

Actually on the topic of more general cruiser stuff, I'm thinking of getting a batwing fairing for my bike, would you guys say it's worth it? I'm not interested in putting a stereo or gps or anything in it, just the wind protection.

I went from a Nightster with no fairing at all to a Sport Glide with a little fairing, and the reduction in fatigue I get from riding on the highway is incredible. I didn't really think it was doing much, but I've noticed it's so much less exhausting to ride now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A little fairing goes a long way.

A batwing fairing in my experience is like a sail if it's attached to the bars and makes for an unpleasant wandering sensation at high speeds.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Strife posted:

I went from a Nightster with no fairing at all to a Sport Glide with a little fairing, and the reduction in fatigue I get from riding on the highway is incredible. I didn't really think it was doing much, but I've noticed it's so much less exhausting to ride now.

Just adding a windshield or fairing does so much to anything for enjoyment of long rides. I hate how windshields and fairings look, and I hate them in town, but if you're going to be on a freeway for 1hr+, commuting down a windy highway corridor like I do, or driving twisty country roads where you might not see a turkey about to fly into your head until you only have time to duck, you really need one. I gave in and bought both of the Softail Fat Bob windshields to interchange because that way I can use the shorter less offensive looking 15" one on my commute and swap to the 19" beast for trips into Montana.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Surprisingly I find windblast more fatiguing on my VFR than I ever did on my SV650N. Could be just my height not meshing well with the windscreen but I never noticed on the SV. It might also have to do with the mildly more aggressive seating position too.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I experienced the same thing on my fz6, the windscreen just shoved the wind on my helmet at the wrong place, and my tuono which is basically naked, feels totally fine, id rather just not have wind protection.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Voltage posted:

I experienced the same thing on my fz6, the windscreen just shoved the wind on my helmet at the wrong place, and my tuono which is basically naked, feels totally fine, id rather just not have wind protection.
I'm dealing with this bullshit right now on my cb1100. Going through multiple windshield combos to get the least amount of focused wind gust on different parts of my body. Best solution so far is an adjustable upper screen, there are many aftermarket options around $100 that will mount on any surface. Example https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-clip-on-windscreen-visor

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I test rode a Kawasaki Concours a while back out of boredom. It was luxurious and hilariously powerful, albeit ugly as sin. If I didn't have a significant emotional attachment to my naked Softail, I'd trade it without a second thought. Point being : the adjustable windscreen was so, so, SO good. I've considered a windscreen for the Softail but haven't pulled the trigger.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'd usually just rather ride a naked bike and have my helmet in clean air. That said, a power adjustable windscreen that's actually decent at airflow management is an underrated luxury. I miss that + the Cee Bailey windscreen I had on my FJR.

I curse every time I have to adjust the windscreen on my GS, because it's done with a stupid knob on the throttle side, and it won't even turn while you're going faster than 35mph because the wind pressure is too much for the mechanism to overcome. The manual adjuster on the Multistrada isn't too bad, but anything more than a flyscreen on that bike = awful helmet buffeting.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Jazzzzz posted:

I'd usually just rather ride a naked bike and have my helmet in clean air.

I'm usually this way, but the forward controls on the Fat Bob are just too much rider triangle for me to overcome at 70mph with the chest blast. I didn't notice until I had a shield on the bike, but I was doing more, say, pulling right to turn left than pushing left to turn left, which increases rider fatigue (in addition to the wind blast). Once I had the 19" shield on the bike it felt 300lbs lighter at speed, since it has plenty of torque to push the shield. Bike suddenly handles much better for me in corners. ;)

Not really a problem in town or even on most highways but a big problem on the freeways around here.

The good news is that since I have both shields (15" and 19") and I am tall (6'1 or so), I can insure clean air over the helmet by using the 15" shield. Only downside is that if I look up at all I get wind blasted to the neck. The buffering with the 19" is only bad if you have some crosswind.

Then again I'm going to hit 40 in a few years so maybe I'm just an old man now. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
So here's a surprising bonus to my tiny little fairing.

Everyone at the dealership said that it'd keep the wind off my chest. Maybe. I haven't really noticed. I have noticed that it makes the bike more stable on the highway, which is great. But I've also noticed it keeps the wind off my inner thighs and crotchital region. In the summer that's not really a big deal, but now that it's like 40 in the middle of the day, holy poo poo is it amazing. I used to feel like I was cryogenically freezing myself at these temperatures. Now it's nothing.

I like to try riding as much as I can until they start putting salt on the roads, and that cutback in frozen crotch wind really helps keep me going.

• Locked thread