Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So Real Talk:

what are my options for blacked out Dyna parts?

They seem limited, assuming I don't want 'RSD' or 'Arlen Ness' stamped all over every inch of my bike. (hint: I don't).

Is there a way to buy unfinished (or at least un-chromed) parts from somewhere?

Didn't think it would be so difficult to find parts to black out a bike, but apparently I was misfused. Constaken, even.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Find stock take-offs and have them coated or painted.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

clutchpuck posted:

this is the best solution. powder coat is relatively cheap.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Plasti-dip is even cheaper. Don't know how well it'll hold up on a bike, but it can't be that different from having it on a car, can it?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

This is the best route. I've had good luck with .99 a can flat black spray paint and then a good coat of wax on the parts I've blacked out. It started with the po not using locktite on my aircleaner cover screws and the chrome was rashed anyways so I scotchbrite buffed it and painted it while I looked for a replacement but I liked the look and it held up good so I left it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Plasti-dip is even cheaper. Don't know how well it'll hold up on a bike, but it can't be that different from having it on a car, can it?

As long as you're not plasti-dipping your exhaust pipes, it holds up great. I plastidipped large portions of my Uly, and the only part that's showing any wear is the airbox cover right where my legs grip it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Hey guys I have a bunch of Sportster parts if anyone is looking for any. Belts, pulleys, exhaust, bars, risers, fender, crash bars, shocks, ignition, coils, etc.

It's a 99 xl1200c so let me know.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

clutchpuck posted:

Er. I'm new to customizing. Where does one find stuff like this?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

HaB posted:

Er. I'm new to customizing. Where does one find stuff like this?

Craigslist. Browse around and you're likely to find groups of parts some guy took off, replaced with ROLAND SANDS stuff and just wants out of his garage. Don't be afraid to lowball, the seller usually just wants to get some beer money and free up storage space.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Also:

Wrapping pipes vs powder coating.

Pros / Cons?

I found the pipes I want, but they don't make them in a black. I like the Rat Bike look of wrapping, but I'm cool with a black powder coat as well. Anyone have experience with either?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Wrap is cheaper initially but you need to keep it maintained; re-spray some silicone sealant every year or so to maintain the color and shape.

My wife got her pipes ceramic coated and they've been chipped a few times by road debris or whatever, so if you get them coated, anticipate some of that. It also shows dirt like crazy.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Oh god I just bought a Sportster what have I done?

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Akion posted:

Well.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

I got a decent deal. :(

Only concern I have is I have heard the brakes suck, but that an XR1200 caliper helps (or dual brakes) and isn't too hard to do.

Long term goal if I decide to keep it involves turning into a cafe bike or something. If I don't, I'll just get a supermoto and do wheelies everywhere I go.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Sorry, I meant "well" as in "you have done well". Harleys are the AR-15 of the motorcycle world, after market is astounding and yeah the break swap is pretty drat easy to do. Get'er out in the wind.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Ah! It's my first cruiser. Used to old Honda cafe bikes and a brief stint with a KLR.

Just waiting for the dude I bought it from to confirm that he got my wire transfer, then I am off to pick it up. What's break-in on these? It has 490 miles right now. Former owner was a Harley Mechanic that apparently bought it for his girlfriend. I guess the bike lasted longer than she did.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Akion posted:

Just waiting for the dude I bought it from to confirm that he got my wire transfer, then I am off to pick it up.

Yikes.

e: I mean, if you met the guy in person and he seemed on the up-and-up, OK I guess, but I'd much rather hand over a certified cheque or a wad of cash and exchange it for the title on the spot. Sending the money to a private seller through an untraceable private system with a "I pay now, you give me the thing later" is disturbing to me.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 14, 2014

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Edit: Also this ^^^^ You're a trusting soul.

Akion posted:

Ah! It's my first cruiser. Used to old Honda cafe bikes and a brief stint with a KLR.

Just waiting for the dude I bought it from to confirm that he got my wire transfer, then I am off to pick it up. What's break-in on these? It has 490 miles right now. Former owner was a Harley Mechanic that apparently bought it for his girlfriend. I guess the bike lasted longer than she did.

Just make sure you don't lug the engine too much...keep the RPMs up. Try to vary the RPM range so don't sit at 60 on the highway for miles on end(Not sure this is possible since your gas tank will be empty before too many miles).

Having said all that, in my opinion, just ride it. I'm not a big believer in "treat it like it's made of glass" for miles and miles.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's a dealer. Older gentleman that buys/sells bikes and cars to keep himself occupied. I wouldn't wire cash to some random person. I have a bill of sale and the wire can be reversed within 48 hours if he tries to screw me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
At 490 miles you're pretty much done riding conservatively on it like the manufacturer recommends for the first 500 miles. Give it some engine braking as well as acceleration, and either do the 1000mi service or take it in for it - break-in wear ends up in the oil as metal shavings so you want that first sump of oil out on schedule.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Akion posted:

The first 50 miles is what seems to be the general consensus as the most critical, most put the break in between 50-500 miles. At 490 it should already be pretty well broke in.
(e): beaten.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Akion posted:

Good choice.

I have an XL1200 too and it's awesome.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Strife posted:

Good choice.

I have an XL1200 too and it's awesome.

How do you like that exhaust? Is it obnoxiously loud? I *hate* the stock Chrome pipes on the Iron.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Akion posted:

How do you like that exhaust? Is it obnoxiously loud? I *hate* the stock Chrome pipes on the Iron.

I'm not a huge fan of the matte-black overall of the bike but I agree in that color scheme the chromes don't work. If you want the best sound / looks and what actual performance you can get from that motor I'd recommend RB Racing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTr2AcVc3ro

If I ever get a hog I'm putting a set of these on asap

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

If you want that similar look, I'd recommend the Vance & Hines Sideshots over the short shots.

The side shots have a shared chamber and act like a 2 into 1 exhaust. They'll give way better low end torque.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Akion posted:

They're not loud at all, honestly the wind is probably louder. I'd heard that you can increase the performance by installing the quiet baffles, but they made it much, much worse.

This is with my GoPro. Skip to like 1:15 into the video. I hadn't really considered this for public consumption so there's a bunch of dumb poo poo in the beginning. All in all it's not very interesting. I just made it to test my new camera and the pipes just after I'd put them on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orFA565KUig

I've heard the 2 in 1s are the best performance, but I just can't get over the way they look. Not my thing.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I like those sideshots, but I'm on the fence about long-term plans for the bike. I used to do old cafe Hondas and I prefer that aesthetic. That RB racing one looks like the best bet as far as being able to clear any rearsets I put on the bike.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If you want a riding position more cafe than bobber, I'd suggest longer rear shocks. Supposed to help with the handling a good bit, too.

I'd also recommend checking out ADVRider (specifically the Road Warrior subforum) as it's got a mess of Harley threads that are more geared to improving handling / comfort than the usual SLAM THAT THING DOWN Harley forum nonsense.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, plan would be bigger shocks and maybe a larger diameter rear wheel. Probably go to dual front disks and maybe an XR1200 front fork if its any better. Im going to spend a few weeks riding it as-is before I make a decision.

I normally lean more towards sports bikes, but kind of wanted to see what this whole Harley thing was about.

I could always get a Buell I guess.

I am in FL this week, but headed back to Georgia next week on my way to Colorado, so we'll see how this thing is in the twisties of North Georgia.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Akion posted:

I could always get a Buell I guess.

You already had a KLR. That's the next logical step.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hahah. Nah. If I ditch this thing I'll get a supermoto for that sweet brrraaapp brrraaapp.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Welp! Picked the Iron 883 up this morning and proceeded went for a ride all day with my dad. I'm actually really surprised, but I like the bike a lot. The vibations at idle are a bit much, but not really that much worse than I remember my KLR being. Ride is smooth, it sounds great and handles/stops better than I expected. Only had two issues with it. First; I scraped the pipes going through a turn, which probably killed a Bald Eagle somewhere. Second issue wasn't Harley, but with the cheap-rear end coil relocation kit the previous owner installed. I guess he opted for the $0.99 metal because after about 50 miles I noticed my coil pack was only staying attached to my bike by the wires. :\

I went over the bike this morning, and it has the following mods:
-HID headlight bulb. I'll probably go to a Daymaker when I get the cash, but this thing is still hella bright.
-Turn signals relocated to front forks from handlebars
-Turn signal blackout kit
-Rear brake light deleted using the HD kit that makes the rear turn signals act as brake lights. I'll probably get an OEM rear light as well for safety
-Coil relocation kit (lovely).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the bike.

Lesson on why you don't buy parts made with pot-metal:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I used to have a Vulcan with mercilessly-abused pipes. PO was a short guy so he lowered the bike and as a result I had to park it to turn right and I'd still make sparks.

A friend of mine lost his Road King's aftermarket air cleaner on a ride, so he replaced it with the same aftermarket air cleaner, which he lost on a subsequent ride. I think he put on a mostly-plastic Arlen Ness air cleaner now and hasn't had issues. But yeah, you definitely have to be careful with 3rd party stuff.

d'oh!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

I used to have a Vulcan with mercilessly-abused pipes. PO was a short guy so he lowered the bike and as a result I had to park it to turn right and I'd still make sparks.

A friend of mine lost his Road King's aftermarket air cleaner on a ride, so he replaced it with the same aftermarket air cleaner, which he lost on a subsequent ride. I think he put on a mostly-plastic Arlen Ness air cleaner now and hasn't had issues. But yeah, you definitely have to be careful with 3rd party stuff.

d'oh!

Wow, that sucks! Bet it was a shock when it hit him in the leg on the way out, too.

When I still had stock mufflers on my Sportster, I was merging into a busy highway and the rear muffler support bar broke, rear muffler fell off in traffic. Luckily a semi hit it and not a car. He spun it over to the side of the road out of traffic.

I guess the lesson is, even HD OEM parts can be janky. The bike only had about 5000 miles on it at the time. I'm guessing it was just a faulty piece from the factory.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Cross post, but I'm still riding my Iron. Take it to/from work in the city and it makes for a fun commute. Yesterday was able to bypass a traffic accident by just driving around everyone.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008
Saw this on Google+ today:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/620/18702/Motorcycle-Article/Project-LiveWire--Harley-Electric-Motorcycle.aspx

Could this be Harley joining the modern age? I hope they make this bike, or at least one that looks like it, I would ride the poo poo out of it.

The front end looks a little bit goofy, but the side view is amazing, and the sound, at least in the teaser video is about as tron as you can possibly get.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Okay, that's loving cool.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Boomers aren't buying bikes anymore, and Harley knows it. A production liquid-cooled small-displacement v-twin, and now this.

I hope they don't completely step away from the old-school stuff though.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Man, what the hell. I was just reading a thread (A/U/G?) wherein there was a photo of Alaskan Polyamory Santa, and I was thinking to myself, "Who's that dude with the hilarious SEX Santa avatar?" and I assumed I would never know.

NOT THIRTY SECONDS LATER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Looking forward to it, hopefully it will get out this way at some point.

• Locked thread