Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Raven457 posted:

that looks like a bad idea waiting to happen

That's kinda my thing, bad ideas on two wheels. Here's my current bike.

It's not that fast and handles like putting a saddle on a pig. I imagine my ironhead will handle even worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
I'm not even going to lie - I can't own a cruiser, but I'd ride the everloving gently caress out of that. Details on the build, please??

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Raven457 posted:

I'm not even going to lie - I can't own a cruiser, but I'd ride the everloving gently caress out of that. Details on the build, please??

You cant own a cruiser? Are you allergic? My cousin has a cruiser allergy, he sneezes when he gets even near a dyna, and has to keep an epi-pen on hand for when he passes full-dresser baggers!

Seriously though, it is a fun bike to cruise around on. The seat gets old after five hours or three hundred miles, other then that it's pretty comfy.

The real upside to it is how happy it makes people, I've had a ton of fun driving all over southern Louisiana with it.

I have a build blog for it, but it's on a miniature gaming forum so the motorcycle parts are light on details. Also it's super-nerds, so I apologize in advance.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/529268.page

Only real engine mods to it was dropping the sludge box and dog dish, dropping K&M filters directly onto the carbs and re-jetting the needles. Other then that it's a stock 2003 V-star classic 1100.

I will be giving a similar treatment to the ironhead. I'm going with a full cemetery look to it complete with a custom coffin tank, cemetery statue Angels and a tombstone. I don't plan on it being as mobile as the Ork warbike, it's probably going to be more of a show bike.

My main reason to get the ironhead was to learn more about engines, and TIG welding.

Then I'll sell it and start over!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

malal posted:

You cant own a cruiser? Are you allergic? My cousin has a cruiser allergy, he sneezes when he gets even near a dyna, and has to keep an epi-pen on hand for when he passes full-dresser baggers!

I have some issues in my lower back that make the upright, feet forward riding position absolutely miserable :( I've got to have at least a slight forward lean, and my legs/feet underneath or slightly behind me. I am most comfortable on standards and sport tourers, oddly enough.

malal posted:

I will be giving a similar treatment to the ironhead. I'm going with a full cemetery look to it complete with a custom coffin tank, cemetery statue Angels and a tombstone. I don't plan on it being as mobile as the Ork warbike, it's probably going to be more of a show bike.

If it turns out half as good as the V-Star, it should be great!

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

malal posted:

That's kinda my thing, bad ideas on two wheels. Here's my current bike.

It's not that fast and handles like putting a saddle on a pig. I imagine my ironhead will handle even worse!

Holy poo poo. Talk about unexpected. Are you Mad Max?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

malal posted:

That's kinda my thing, bad ideas on two wheels.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm failing to see the "bad idea" here.

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage
I support the mad max bike but please don't run those front legs. They look super tweaked.

I don't have much room to talk running with super lovely brakes brake, but stay safe buddy. Choppers look super lame in a ditch.

J Corp fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 15, 2014

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I have a good build order for the chopper, once all the manufactured pieces are on all existing parts will be measured for any flaws, and repaired or replaced as warranted.

Sadly I'm working 72 hours a week right now, so I probably won't start the build thread until winter break. I am getting a new shop just for motorcycles, so I'm pretty excited about that!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

malal posted:

I have a good build order for the chopper, once all the manufactured pieces are on all existing parts will be measured for any flaws, and repaired or replaced as warranted.

Sadly I'm working 72 hours a week right now, so I probably won't start the build thread until winter break. I am getting a new shop just for motorcycles, so I'm pretty excited about that!

I've always been curious about the build process of one of these bikes: In general, are many hours spent finding just the right piece in just the right weathered condition, or are the hours spent cutting, shaping, and "weathering" parts before putting on the bike? Or, is very little time spent and it is more like "it looked cool so I welded it on? Serious question and I am not mocking in any way. I like rat bikes but would never build one because I am clumsy and would impale myself on it in the garage sitting still.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

I've always been curious about the build process of one of these bikes: In general, are many hours spent finding just the right piece in just the right weathered condition, or are the hours spent cutting, shaping, and "weathering" parts before putting on the bike? Or, is very little time spent and it is more like "it looked cool so I welded it on? Serious question and I am not mocking in any way. I like rat bikes but would never build one because I am clumsy and would impale myself on it in the garage sitting still.

I think I'll just make a build thread for my rat bike, it was actually an interesting process. (Especially considering I knew nothing about bikes and how they work when I started.)

There are a few different camps of rat rod and rat bike owners. Some only use recycled parts, And feel a true rat rod fixes anything broken in the cheapest, red-neck way possible. They are kinda purists, and so usually don't like my bike as much.

The second camp is more modern, the "apocalypse bike" crowd. It became pretty popular after the first mad max movie, but even today I've seen apoc bikes in the form of zombie hunters. These bikes tend to be much more thought out.

The third group usually love and live on their bike, adding tokens and fetishes to their bikes until they resemble mobile homes covered in bones.

Mine was built to resemble a miniature, so I used anything to get the job done. All the rust and aging is fake, he'll the giant 1/4 plate teeth on the jaw and fairing are actually plastic!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

malal posted:

I think I'll just make a build thread for my rat bike, it was actually an interesting process. (Especially considering I knew nothing about bikes and how they work when I started.)

There are a few different camps of rat rod and rat bike owners. Some only use recycled parts, And feel a true rat rod fixes anything broken in the cheapest, red-neck way possible. They are kinda purists, and so usually don't like my bike as much.

The second camp is more modern, the "apocalypse bike" crowd. It became pretty popular after the first mad max movie, but even today I've seen apoc bikes in the form of zombie hunters. These bikes tend to be much more thought out.

The third group usually love and live on their bike, adding tokens and fetishes to their bikes until they resemble mobile homes covered in bones.

Mine was built to resemble a miniature, so I used anything to get the job done. All the rust and aging is fake, he'll the giant 1/4 plate teeth on the jaw and fairing are actually plastic!

Interesting. I figured it was probably a diverse crowd, just like there are both cafe bike builders who know what they are doing, and those who own angle grinders.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
That bike is loving amazing!!!

the damn Ruskis are back
Jan 25, 2006

And blew, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came!
We'll probably see a lot more apocalypse bikes once Mad Max 4 comes out next summer. Both of those bikes are cool. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the sportster, it's pretty clear you're meticulous with detail. Long springers are, uh, an interesting ride.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Never thought I'd say this but I'm considering a 2008 XL883 with 15,000 miles (24,000 km). The guy is asking for $7,000 (CAD) but also mentions "OBO" and "want it gone" and "price not firm" :v:

The tires are original "HARLEY J. DAVIDSON" 2009 rubber, so that'd be the first thing to go.

Anything to watch out for with that particular year/model? I think it's just after the switch to EFI.

epswing fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 26, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slur, your fighting style is extremely problematic!

epalm posted:

Never thought I'd say this but I'm considering a 2008 XL883 with 15,000 miles. The guy is asking for $7,000 but also mentions "OBO" and "want it gone" and "price not firm" :v:

The tires are original "HARLEY J. DAVIDSON" 2009 rubber, so that'd be the first thing to go.

Anything to watch out for with that particular year/model? I think it's just after the switch to EFI.
883 was $7300 brand new. How is asking msrp for a 7 year old bike is even remotely OK?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Nitrox posted:

883 was $7300 brand new. How is asking msrp for a 7 year old bike is even remotely OK?

Sorry, $7k Canadian Funnydollars. A new XL883L "starts at" $10,189 CAD

Oooh Canada.. :smith:

epswing fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 26, 2014

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

epalm posted:

Sorry, $7k Canadian Funnydollars. A new XL883L "starts at" $10,189 CAD

Oooh Canada.. :smith:

That's a $4K bike all day long, 5 if it's a road babby (add 4-600 loonies to get to CDN $.) The HD tires are actually co-branded Dunlops; Metzelers generally get positive reviews as alternatives. '08 was year 2 of EFI. I would advise against the L model unless you're inseam challenged and absolutely need the bike slammed. If not, hold out for an R or C since you're shelling out that much, and get the 1200 if you're ready. The bike actually has respectable highway range with the larger tank--your backside will need to stop before it does.

Check out xlforum.net, they have a subforum dedicated to the EFI models and you can pick up pretty quickly if there were concerns for that year.

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

Marv Hushman posted:

The HD tires are actually co-branded Dunlops; Metzelers generally get positive reviews as alternatives.

I've tried Dunlops, Metzelers, and Avons on my Softail. Dunlops suck for grip, but they last forever. Avon's are sweet, but they wear really fast. Metzelers seem middle of the road. I thought the avons were better, but the metzelers were pretty good and they're seeming to hold up a lot longer.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

For cheap tires, I've had great luck with Shinkos. They are a softer compound so they don't last as long as some others but they provide good grip.

I believe they bought out the molds from Yokohama tires.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I generally have a high opinion of Shinkos. Only once can I remember a manufacturing problem with any of them.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I bought this thing last week. Going from a Sportster with 90+ hp to this thing that's way heavier and 65ish hp is a big adjustment. But, it is very comfortable.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

:whatup:

That's quite the sled. Are you in love with it as-is or do you have some plans for it?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

:whatup:

That's quite the sled. Are you in love with it as-is or do you have some plans for it?

I'll most likely leave it pretty stock for awhile. It only has 18,000 miles so I'm not going to dig into the motor yet. I plan on keeping this bike for a long time so once I put a bunch of miles on it and it gets a bit tired, I'll probably convert it to a 95ci with cams and ported heads and a 2 into 1 exhaust for performance. The P.O. added that hypercharger and I'm sure didn't remap the efi afterwards. I'll most likely add some slip-ons to the bike and remap it for "stage 1" upgrades.

:siren: TANGENT RANT ALERT :siren:
Why in the HELL is everything related to a Harley measured in this arbitrary measuring system of "stage." I mean I kind of...KIND OF get the stage 1 of it being like a different air cleaner and slip ons and rejetting or remapping. That almost makes sense. But then what the hell is "stage 2" cams? heads? What is "stage 3" bigger cams? ported heads? bored cylinders? "Stage 4"? Who the gently caress knows...Strap a V8 on your bike? I mean it's gotten so bad that when I was looking at batwing fairings, the company listed them in "stages." "Stage 1" was just the fairing plain. "Stage 2" was like adding custom paint "Stage 3" a radio and speakers, etc, etc. :cripes: When I have talked to a couple people about their bikes they're like "Yeah it's got stage 4 upgrades all done." and when you ask them, Oh yeah...what has it had done? "Well they made the engine bigger and did the stage 4 upgrades" :suicide:
/TANGENT

At some point, I'd love to get it repainted. The previous owner didn't take very good care of it so it has scratches and nicks and dings in the paint all over the place. Problem with repainting it is going to be the ability to get someone to match the paint scheme. It's one of Harley's numbered paint sets (112 of 200 woot woot lol) which means it isn't really a standard color or design. I did notice that inside the saddle bags and on the inside of the side covers are stickers which list the paint colors and the person at Harley that painted it. Might come in handy should I decide to go the repaint route but those numbers may mean nothing if the paint isn't available.

I'd love to put a batwing fairing on it (Been looking at the Memphis Shades batwing) but if I do that, I'd want to match it to the paint on the rest of the bike and if I did that, I'd want to paint the whole bike. Soooo, I will probably just ride it for awhile and add minor things that make it more ridable or comfortable.

I think I may steal the street glide rear shocks off my Sportster and swap them with the shocks on this. It will lower the rear an inch. The biggest thing I notice with this bike compared to my Sportster (with 883 gearing), is that at highway speed I'm at way lower RPMs. It causes the bike to be much quieter and not vibrate nearly as much which makes longer riding much better. The other thing I notice compared to the Sportster is that when I twist the throttle on the Road King, nothing happens...but then, I guess that makes this one more of a REAL Harley.

Also, since this bike is purple, I guess I went from a girl's bike to another girl's bike. :)

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 23, 2015

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Scrapez posted:

Also, since this bike is purple, I guess I went from a girl's bike to another girl's bike. :)

Nonsense, purple is the color of kings.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Strife posted:

Standard issue pimp color

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Strife posted:

Not the Latin Kings. Here in Chicago, I believe they rep black and gold.

So, you know. I'm street.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
I think my first impulse would be to see what it looks like without the bags and windshield, but I've always liked the look of stripped Road Kings.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I think my first impulse would be to see what it looks like without the bags and windshield, but I've always liked the look of stripped Road Kings.

The windshield is a quick detach and the bike definitely looks better without it. The backrest is quick detach also. I'd like to get a solo, lower profile, seat as the one on it is not very nice looking. I actually like the look of the bags and they're so convenient that it's hard to take them off.

I mean, as I said, I'm an old man. When I was younger, I'd jump on my bike without having looked at the weather and bring nothing with me for extra clothes or tools. Now, I'm checking the weather, packing rain gear or warmer gear and some basic tools just in case. Having typed that out, perhaps I've lost the adventurous spirit of motorcycling over the years. :)

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Nice Road King. You could have quite a ways to go before you have to think about tearing into the motor, I have an '01 Ultra Glide with a little over 77k on the clock. It's been serviced regularly (just went through it's 75k service) the only "major" repair was replacing a collapsed front motor mount. Pics are from summer before last and so far I have only changed out the whip antennas for the shorty style, I have plans to rollback some of the chrome to black. The pipes, highway bars and a few other odds and ends. It may be "slow" but it gets me there in comfort and that makes a difference to "older" bones.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Scrapez posted:

I bought this thing last week. Going from a Sportster with 90+ hp to this thing that's way heavier and 65ish hp is a big adjustment. But, it is very comfortable.

What does it take to get 90hp out of a sportster?

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

High Protein posted:

Work.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

High Protein posted:

Not a lot actually other than some cash.

There are two outfits selling 1250 kits that do it really well. Nrhsperformance and hammer performance.

If you just bolt they're top end on you'll gain d
Some decent hp. I also had Andrews N4 cams and heads from the 2004-2006 sportster on mine. Those heads had better springs in them and the chamber apparently is much better than other Sportster heads even better than the Buell Thunder storm heads that used to be considered the best. Add to that a programmable ignition and hi flow air intake and you're at around 90 hp.

Put larger cams in and port the heads and a Mikuni carb and you can easily get over 100hp. Many guys on xlforum.net running 110hp Sportsters now. I don't know what kind of street manners they have, though. I went mild with mine and it has the same manners as it did before the build.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Scrapez posted:

Not a lot actually other than some cash.

There are two outfits selling 1250 kits that do it really well. Nrhsperformance and hammer performance.

If you just bolt they're top end on you'll gain d
Some decent hp. I also had Andrews N4 cams and heads from the 2004-2006 sportster on mine. Those heads had better springs in them and the chamber apparently is much better than other Sportster heads even better than the Buell Thunder storm heads that used to be considered the best. Add to that a programmable ignition and hi flow air intake and you're at around 90 hp.

Put larger cams in and port the heads and a Mikuni carb and you can easily get over 100hp. Many guys on xlforum.net running 110hp Sportsters now. I don't know what kind of street manners they have, though. I went mild with mine and it has the same manners as it did before the build.

Interesting, thanks. Buell XBs had the same heads as the 2004+ Sportsters and made 100HP stock, but they had hotter cams, injection, 2-1 exhausts and a much better intake tract that seems like it would be hard to replicate on a Sportster. It's too bad we probably won't see a successor to the Evo.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

High Protein posted:

Interesting, thanks. Buell XBs had the same heads as the 2004+ Sportsters and made 100HP stock, but they had hotter cams, injection, 2-1 exhausts and a much better intake tract that seems like it would be hard to replicate on a Sportster. It's too bad we probably won't see a successor to the Evo.

Yeah you're right. I had forgotten they were the same heads as the Buell XBs. Basically, what you described on the XB is what guys have done with the sportster. 2-1 exhaust, hotter cams and better intake. With the Keihin CV carb, you can rejet and change up needles and get to 100 HP. Much beyond that and I think you have to go with a Mikuni HSR42. Here's a good write-up on the two as they relate to Sportster performance: http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_mikunivscv.shtml

My Sportster is now for sale if anyone is interested. http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/4852466360.html
Make me an offer if you're interested.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Flagged for removal

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Nitrox posted:

Flagged for removal

Thanks for the heads up. No idea why that would be. I'll have to make a new ad.

New Ad: http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/4869515154.html

If anyone is seriously interested, let me know. I've got some extra parts and stuff I'd throw in and would do a decent price for someone on here.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 30, 2015

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Do you goons (who change your own oil) buy your oil and filters from the dealer, the Harley website, or just get non Harley stuff from Amazon/motorcycle site or a local auto/cycle shop?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I get everything from Autozone except my primary oil. Mobil 1 synthetic 20w50 and a M1-103 filter from Autozone. A trip to the harley dealer gets some Formula+, usually 2-3 at a time to save a couple trips.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

El Jebus posted:

Do you goons (who change your own oil) buy your oil and filters from the dealer, the Harley website, or just get non Harley stuff from Amazon/motorcycle site or a local auto/cycle shop?

I don't buy anything from the dealership unless I have to. It's generally of less quality for a higher cost.

I buy oil and filters online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I never buy from the dealership

• Locked thread