Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Honestly I try to avoid the dealership unless it's a part only they can order or it's a warranty issue or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
With HD it comes down to lot of factors like model, year etc as to when you can avoid the dealer. Of course it depends on your local dealer, ours here is pretty drat good unlike the previous owners who were real shitlords.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Outside Dawg posted:

With HD it comes down to lot of factors like model, year etc as to when you can avoid the dealer. Of course it depends on your local dealer, ours here is pretty drat good unlike the previous owners who were real shitlords.

What do you mean by this? Which models require that you go to the dealer?

I've owned a sportster and never had to go to the dealer. Now have a road king and see no reason to go to the dealer either.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Scrapez posted:

What do you mean by this? Which models require that you go to the dealer?

I've owned a sportster and never had to go to the dealer. Now have a road king and see no reason to go to the dealer either.

Sportsters are pretty straight forward , had a "77 Ironhead that never saw the inside of the dealership. Sportsters also enjoy the largest aftermarket of any bike. Have an '01 Ultra Glide now and some of the electronics (EFI) are best dealt with there at the dealer, the mechanical end of it is easy. Parts wise the newer your bike the smaller the aftermarket is going to be.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Outside Dawg posted:

Sportsters are pretty straight forward , had a "77 Ironhead that never saw the inside of the dealership. Sportsters also enjoy the largest aftermarket of any bike. Have an '01 Ultra Glide now and some of the electronics (EFI) are best dealt with there at the dealer, the mechanical end of it is easy. Parts wise the newer your bike the smaller the aftermarket is going to be.

For the average guy maybe you take it to HD to flash the ecm with a stage 1 load if you have an efi bike.

For me, I'd rather buy a power commander or equivalent tuner and flash that myself. Loads cheaper and then you have the ability to tune going forward if you change intake or exhaust or other engine mods.

I'm not saying there is never a reason to step inside the dealership but if your bike is outside warranty, I don't see a lot of reasons.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Speaking of tuners, make sure if you buy a tuner from the dealer, you get the right one. There are two HD branded tuners with almost identical names. There's the Screaming Eagle Street Tuner, and the Screaming Eagle Super Tuner Pro. What's the difference? Well, about $200, and the ability to actually tune your bike. The pro one allows you to put a custom tune on a bike and street dyno it. The regular tuner just lets you put the Stage 1, Stage 2, etc mapping on the bike, which is essentially useless if you're trying to work out a weak area.

The part number for the SEST:P is 32109-08C. It's a pain in the rear end, because you also have to buy a cable pack for the weird peripheral port on the bike, and that doesn't come with the tuner. That's 32184-08A.

And of course, the tuners are married to your VIN. So once you bond it with your bike, you can't use it tune a buddy's bike. But the thing is awesome. It's a lot of fun to find out where you have a weak AFR and adjust that and remap it to the bike.

Strife fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 23, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Sup C.A.H.O.G.(R)s, I just wanted to let this thread know I'm trying to sell a HD jacket, no-name chaps, and an HD medallion in the marketplace.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Ok, have oil and filter for changing tomorrow. Rear brake pads need changing and the lines might need adjusting. Do you guys have a preference for pads? This is all for a rubber mount 1200C. Also, PR3/4s seem to be the CA choice, but what is the tire of choice for the Sportster? Just get the Dunlops?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

El Jebus posted:

Ok, have oil and filter for changing tomorrow. Rear brake pads need changing and the lines might need adjusting. Do you guys have a preference for pads? This is all for a rubber mount 1200C. Also, PR3/4s seem to be the CA choice, but what is the tire of choice for the Sportster? Just get the Dunlops?

I really liked Shinko tires on my sportster. They bought out Yokohama. Same molds and compounds. They are a softer compound so they grip much better than Dunlops but don't last as long. At 1/3 the price you still come out ahead.

Lots of guys swear by Metzler 880s. I've ridden bikes with them and they seem to grip well and they last a long time. Definitely prefer them to the Dunlops.

For brake pads, I always just went with generic sintered pads from eBay. Seemed to work well for me.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I rock the Dunlop. No issues.

Brake pads I just get the normal generic ones.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Scrapez posted:

Lots of guys swear by Metzler 880s. I've ridden bikes with them and they seem to grip well and they last a long time. Definitely prefer them to the Dunlops.

I liked riding on the Marathons, but I hated buying them.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Hypothetical question about Dynas, I have an 01 Super glide, it has the controls under the rider ("rear" controls?) and other Dyna models have forward controls. Is it possible to convert the Superglide to forward controls? I doubt I would like forward controls, just curious to know if it is possible.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Hypothetical question about Dynas, I have an 01 Super glide, it has the controls under the rider ("rear" controls?) and other Dyna models have forward controls. Is it possible to convert the Superglide to forward controls? I doubt I would like forward controls, just curious to know if it is possible.

They're called mid controls. I've seen plenty of Super Glides with forward controls so I assume the conversion is possible. With the Street Bob and the Low Rider now (not sure about other models) you can choose mid or forward controls when you order the bike.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Crotch Fruit posted:

Yes, you can convert from mids to forwards. Usually you can find a used set on ebay or forums.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Crotch Fruit posted:

Most HD's , especially any of the big twins will have mounting points for the forward controls, and to echo Scrapez, look to ebay for a set as a new set can run upwards of $300 even on the aftermarket.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Something I've been wondering for a while looking at used bikes: how easy/expensive is it to switch back to mids on a bike that's been converted to forward controls?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Something I've been wondering for a while looking at used bikes: how easy/expensive is it to switch back to mids on a bike that's been converted to forward controls?

Very easy, a matter of removing and installing a few bolts, generally.

Cost: Often free. Post on a forum with offer to trade your forwards for mids and someone Will take you up on it. Most guys want forwards.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I think the main reason I might want to switch to forward controls would be to also add floorboards. Google says there used to be an FXDP kit available, but now I would have to go aftermarket.

I like the look of Dyna fender strut LEDs but they sell for over $100. I would simply feel bad if I knew that I paid $100 for a couple LEDs and an inch of Chanel iron, these should be significantly cheaper. Any thoughts?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think the main reason I might want to switch to forward controls would be to also add floorboards. Google says there used to be an FXDP kit available, but now I would have to go aftermarket.

I like the look of Dyna fender strut LEDs but they sell for over $100. I would simply feel bad if I knew that I paid $100 for a couple LEDs and an inch of Chanel iron, these should be significantly cheaper. Any thoughts?

That's exactly what you are paying for. Welcome to the HD aftermarket. If you can't make it yourself, get ready to shell out.

Roland sands sells loving air cleaners, AIR CLEANERS, for 500 and up.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah HD aftermarket is retarded, these just suck even more since they are not a genuine HD part and I can find several other full sets of turn signals for under a hundred. I think I could make something like the low profile lights with some chanel shaped stock, a file, and some clear resin. I honestly hardly know anything about metal work or if it is even possible for me to build something that would look decent. Are there more reasonable low profile turn signals?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Crotch Fruit posted:

Yeah HD aftermarket is retarded, these just suck even more since they are not a genuine HD part and I can find several other full sets of turn signals for under a hundred. I think I could make something like the low profile lights with some chanel shaped stock, a file, and some clear resin. I honestly hardly know anything about metal work or if it is even possible for me to build something that would look decent. Are there more reasonable low profile turn signals?

The Kuryakyn LED Strut Mount Mini Bullet Marker Lights are about 75ish.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The Kuryakyn LED Strut Mount Mini Bullet Marker Lights are about 75ish.

Those look nice, and they are cheaper, and they actually look like they are worth the price since I think it would be very difficult to reproduce those, unlike the low profile LEDs.

Unfortunately Harley Legos gets more challenging when customized. The bike is a 2000 Dyna Super Glide with an '02 Wide Glide rear fender, this messes with the stock turn signal location. The standard turn signal mounting points are occupied by both the detachable back rest and detachable saddle bags.

For what it's worth, I'm really not sure that even the LED end covers would fit without interfering with the backrest.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The easy brackets are nice for the saddlebags. One of the best things I added to my sportster when I had it.

I had to relocate signals as well. I went with an Arlen Ness layback license plate holder with integrated leds. I think I picked it up for about 75 bucks used.

Here's an option but not sure it all work with that fender you have:
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=291410358498&alt=web

Another thing to keep in mind, if you add leds to your bike, you'll most likely need a load balancer to make them flash properly. Badlands makes them and they aren't that cheap.

You could use the mount I posted above with standard signals and can pick up a used set of oems for cheap. It'd probably be the cheapest method assuming that mount fits your fender.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Another thing you could do is pull all that crap off, don't run any turn signals, strip it down to the bare essentials and call it a day!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Another thing you could do is pull all that crap off, don't run any turn signals, strip it down to the bare essentials and call it a day!

Comedy option, right? Although I believe most states (especially the ones near me) do not require turn signals and I ride like I am in invisible, I still enjoy the chance to attempt to signal my intent to the drivers around me.

Scrapez posted:

Here's an option but not sure it all work with that fender you have:
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=291410358498&alt=web

Another thing to keep in mind, if you add leds to your bike, you'll most likely need a load balancer to make them flash properly. Badlands makes them and they aren't that cheap.

Competely incompatiable, but this $20 bracket is almost the same and has universal compatibility. I also ordered a pair of chrome mini bullet lights ($22, could have gone cheaper if I was willing to wait on the slow boat from China) and a light bar that is tail/brake only instead of 2/3 turn signal and 1/3 brake like the current setup. The amazon page says the light bar is "for offroad use only, check with local DOT for highway use", in any case I think it will be just as visible as the V-Rod.

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

Crotch Fruit posted:

Comedy option, right? Although I believe most states (especially the ones near me) do not require turn signals and I ride like I am in invisible, I still enjoy the chance to attempt to signal my intent to the drivers around me.

Anecdotal, but I feel like people notice hand signals more than blinkers.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Hmm. . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUZ89t1FctY

I don't believe the average soccer mom is smart enough to recognize hand signals. I base this solely on the number of times I've seen someone using hand signals in traffic (less than a dozen times) and how every time my passenger will say "what is that maniac doing???"

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Crotch Fruit posted:

I don't believe the average soccer mom is smart enough to recognize hand signals. I base this solely on the number of times I've seen someone using hand signals in traffic (less than a dozen times) and how every time my passenger will say "what is that maniac doing???"

This is why they need like a 5 no-brainer question knowledge quiz every time we renew our licenses.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I gotta try and figure out a way to relocate the plate on my Wide Glide.

I'm converting it over to a bagger, so I have a kit to relo the turn signals, but I'm pretty sure the plate is going to be just as much of a problem. Really would just want it center mounted on the rear fender if possible. I don't have a tail light - the turn signals double as the brake/tail lights. So it might be as simple is drilling a coupla holes in the fender after I find something that will fit.

Edit: now that I think about it, the bag I ordered are basically rigid. Wondering if I can just screw it into the back of the Left saddlebag and call it a day.

Is there some law I don't know about regarding it needing to be directly attached to the vehicle or something?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Check your state laws but I don't think you'll have trouble with it on a case. There are probably height, orientation, and illumination requirements though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Crotch Fruit posted:

Not comedy. I'm a firm believer in getting rid of all the extraneous bullshit HD jams on their bikes.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I don't believe the average soccer mom is smart enough to recognize hand signals.

this is why I look then point in the direction I'm traveling when I'm on a bike or motorcycle without turn signals. is it safe to point right on a motorcycle and take your hand off the throttle while mashing in the clutch and feathering the rear brake? probably not, you shouldn't do it.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

clutchpuck posted:

Check your state laws but I don't think you'll have trouble with it on a case. There are probably height, orientation, and illumination requirements though.

Yeah just checked the code. Assuming I can also move the light so it's visible 50' from the rear - I'm good. Shouldn't be a problem.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

J Corp posted:

Anecdotal, but I feel like people notice hand signals more than blinkers.

Crotch Fruit posted:

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

this is why I look then point in the direction I'm traveling when I'm on a bike or motorcycle without turn signals. is it safe to point right on a motorcycle and take your hand off the throttle while mashing in the clutch and feathering the rear brake? probably not, you shouldn't do it.

Speaking as someone soccer-mom (or typical Harley customer...) aged: I recognize the actual hand signals fine, and I really hate it when people make up their own turn signals like this. I've seen the one-finger-pointed-down-and-to-the-left mean "I'm gonna go there", "go ahead and pass me", and "watch out for the road gunk". You know what doesn't mean any of those things? The actual hand signals.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Most people don't even know to get over to the right lane to let people pass, that in a tie at a 4 way stop the person on the right goes first or how to parallel park so I'm pretty confident in saying that most people don't know traffic hand signals.

People are terrible loving drivers with all manner of distractions available these days. I'll stick to having turn signals on my bike as they are at least universally understood.

I'm still checking my mirrors when I turn with signals and assume someone is about to run me over. That little bit of added protection of signals is worth more to me than my bike looking cool. To each his own.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I've seen the one-finger-pointed-down-and-to-the-left mean "I'm gonna go there", "go ahead and pass me", and "watch out for the road gunk". You know what doesn't mean any of those things? The actual hand signals.

there is no "making up signals." I point where I'm going. if I'm riding with other people and I want to signal something to them that doesn't exist within the extremely tiny parameters of hand signals designed for people driving cars there is a pretty well-defined set of signals. you can read all about them in your local DMV guide to riding a motorcycle, anyone who arbitrarily points to signal anything other than "I'm going there" is most likely a nitwit.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

there is no "making up signals." I point where I'm going. if I'm riding with other people and I want to signal something to them that doesn't exist within the extremely tiny parameters of hand signals designed for people driving cars there is a pretty well-defined set of signals. you can read all about them in your local DMV guide to riding a motorcycle, anyone who arbitrarily points to signal anything other than "I'm going there" is most likely a nitwit.

Pointing where you're going is exactly making up signals.

These are not made-up indication signals. Everybody SHOULD know these and for the most part you will confuse people if you use special personalized signals.

And the pretty well defined set of signals includes pointing to indicate road hazard.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
I've always found that those pictures don't make the accompanying motions clear enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zKQv2dc-cM

M42
Nov 12, 2012

"""""Highbeam"""""

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I've been wanting to get rid of my Triumph for a while now, and when I saw this beauty at the local Harley dealer, I had to have it.

2011 V-Rod Night Rod Special in matte black w/ orange accents. The only things that it has done to it is a different rear fender (it has the V-rod muscle rear fender w/ integrated brake light and turn signals) and a Vance & Hines Competition 2 into 1 exhaust and a Vance & Hines FuelPak. I plan on getting the exhaust ceramic coated because that poo poo is HOT in traffic and I lightly toasted the heel of my right boot. I also want to get a quieter baffle because its loud as gently caress and a little droney at highway speeds.

The lady at the dealer didn't get it when I asked if I could apply for a personalized plate instead of a standard one, and put "LYRDN" on the application.

• Locked thread