Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Scrapez posted:

How did your pulley bolts get that loose? I've never so much as inspected mine and never had a issue.

They've never been off the wheel since it was installed. The original owner put a bunch of chrome on the bike -- chrome HD wheel, chrome HD swingarm, chrome HD pulley cover, chrome HD pulley bolt kit, likely right after he bought it. They were installed correctly with Loctite per HD instructions -- which is why there's still bits of them in the wheel still. Somehow they're incorrect... the bike has 20,000 miles on it, 13,000 of them mine. I had a tire swap last August, but they don't touch the pulley for that. The bike gets cleaned regularly, in typical Harley fashion, so I'd like to think I'd have noticed something wrong with a part of the bike so regularly seen / inspected.

It's a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage
It channeled the spirits of its ancestors and decided something needed to rattle loose. I had the rear sprocket bolts come loose on my shovelhead, but it's a hardtail. luckily I caught it right away.

Milwaukee Vibrators dude.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Loctite is your friend.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Outside Dawg posted:

Loctite is your friend.

Schlieren posted:

They were installed correctly with Loctite per HD instructions -- which is why there's still bits of them in the wheel still

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
I noted that in your post, I was replying to J Corp.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Wonder if they reused the bolts when they reinstalled the pulley. I don't have much practical experience with Harleys but I do know you're supposed to

:supaburn:USE NEW BOLTS!!!!!:supaburn:

when installing a pulley on a Buell.

That same dealer came out and towed a friend of mine for free when he had a flat. I hear good things about them.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Cross-Posting from what did you do to your bike today:

Backstory: Purchased bike a few months ago, knew it had been wrecked. Front fender didn't match rest of bike paint scheme and tank had several dents in it. The side covers, bags and rear fender all had several nicks, scratches and dings. Got a good deal on the bike so I wasn't too concerned about it. Fast forward a month after purchase and bike won't idle and is running like crap. Turns out, inside of tank is destroyed...original liner flaking off, rust, possibly a dead animal inside...who knows.

Bottom line, I had two options: 1. Pull the tank, clean up the inside and re-line it. (This would leave me with a nice shiny tank inside but the outside was still a dented piece of poo poo). 2. Purchase a used tank and have a paint shop try to match the rest of the bike. (Then I'd have a dentless tank, however, this was a special "Radical" paint scheme from HD and they did not have the paint codes for it in their system. The chances of having a shop be able to match the color exactly and re-do the original design exactly were about slim to none from what I was reading on the interwebs. I was pretty bummed and resigned to the fact that I was going to re-line a lovely dented tank and that was that.

Until...I was strolling Ebay and what do I find? A complete NOS set of the tins for my bike in the same radical paint scheme. http://www.ebay.com/itm/140457280199 YES! :) Look at price tag and :( whoa. After thinking about it for a couple weeks, pricing a complete paint job for the bike including a used tank, I said gently caress it and bought them.

TLDR: Rusted tank, custom paint hard to match, several options to fix bike, gently caress IT WHERE'S MY DEBIT CARD.

So...This is what I did today:

New stuff in the mail:

Emptying gas from tank:

One of the dents and some of the nicks in the tank:

Tank, Front Fender and Side Covers removed:

Top View:

Rear Fender off:

Naked and Afraid:

Tins that were removed and bonus new bag and side covers in background:

Didn't really run into any issues with the removal other than Harley's decision to put a torx head bolt in the very front of the rear fender was asinine. There wasn't much room between the bolt and the rear tire, certainly not enough to get a torx socket and ratchet in there. If it were a regular 1/2" standard head bolt, I think you could remove it without having to unhook the shocks and lift the bike. So that wasn't a huge deal but annoying. Also, broke a piece of plastic off of the fuel regulator when I was removing the hose between it and the fuel filter. Had to run to the Harley shop 45 minutes away to get that and pay a billion dollars for it.

Bike is all naked and ready for the new tins to go back on tomorrow. Should be like a new bike and after all is said and done, I'll still have less into it than I've seen Road Kings going for around here with plain black paint jobs.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
What do you want for the busted up tins?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What do you want for the busted up tins?

I was thinking like $500. The tank would need to be lined but everything else would bolt right on and be good to go. Or perfect for a repaint.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
complete NOS set of the tins for my bike in the same radical paint scheme

The moto gods were surely smiling upon you this day. NOS and new take-off standard tin sets are out there all day long; this was a rare find and you were right to take the short term financial hit. You'll get the $ back eventually.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

complete NOS set of the tins for my bike in the same radical paint scheme

The moto gods were surely smiling upon you this day. NOS and new take-off standard tin sets are out there all day long; this was a rare find and you were right to take the short term financial hit. You'll get the $ back eventually.

Yeah pretty crazy that it was still out there after all these years.

Even more ironic, the woman selling it told me she had the same paint set #2 of 200 and wrecked her bike back in 2004. She bought this set #175 from her local HD to fix her bike but sold the bike instead and held onto this set thinking she would eventually buy another Road King.

I felt for her...You could tell she was apprehensive about letting it go. She told me I owed her pictures of the set on my bike when it was done. :unsmith:

Crazy that there were only 200 of these made and 2 people owned 3 of the 200.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Well, good news is that I got all the new tins changed over and installed:

Bad news is that the bike is still running like poo poo like it was when the fuel lines were all clogged with crap. :negative:

Changed out the fuel filter, fuel pump and hoses in the tank so I assume I'm good there. I'm guessing the throttle body or the injectors are clogged up still. Took it up to my local shop so they can test the fuel pressure at the bottom of the tank which will determine if the problem is in the tank or downstream. Guessing it's downstream and they'll be putting in a couple injectors and that will fix it but who knows. This bike is turning into a money pit...well more of a money pit than a regular bike anyway. :)

It's pretty...now I need to get it running. :/

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 27, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Looks good man. I'm not one for baggers or flames but that bike looks nice and classic

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
The pic with all the sheet metal stripped off is gorgeous in its own weird way. What a hulk of a bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Purple bikes always remind me of a guy I met in Idaho. He was describing his purple Vulcan as a bike "a colored would ride". It took me like 20 miles on the road to realize what he was talking about there. Never change, Whiteaho.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

OMGVBFLOL posted:

The pic with all the sheet metal stripped off is gorgeous in its own weird way. What a hulk of a bike.

The giant square frames on baggers always make me stare. It's like.. Why...why is the backbone square?

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Scrapez posted:

Well, good news is that I got all the new tins changed over and installed:

Bad news is that the bike is still running like poo poo like it was when the fuel lines were all clogged with crap. :negative:

Changed out the fuel filter, fuel pump and hoses in the tank so I assume I'm good there. I'm guessing the throttle body or the injectors are clogged up still. Took it up to my local shop so they can test the fuel pressure at the bottom of the tank which will determine if the problem is in the tank or downstream. Guessing it's downstream and they'll be putting in a couple injectors and that will fix it but who knows. This bike is turning into a money pit...well more of a money pit than a regular bike anyway. :)

It's pretty...now I need to get it running. :/

I saw a bagger just like yours today, same paint (color and scheme). It was at an Insurance salvage auction. So it looks like your bike just got a bit rarer.

Yours looks nice, good color and scheme for a bagger.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

Purple bikes always remind me of a guy I met in Idaho. He was describing his purple Vulcan as a bike "a colored would ride". It took me like 20 miles on the road to realize what he was talking about there. Never change, Whiteaho.

Friends of mine bought a Yamaha GTS from a guy they described as an "affable bro", who explained that the wiring job the PO had done was "African American rigged". 'MURICA

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
The term that person was reaching for is 'Afro Engineered'. :colbert:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

After an obscenely busy year I've gotten time to get my bike started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKIdYZXAeOs

She still needs some work, but runs well considering the lack of anything over the last couple years.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
I've been meaning to post this,
Then;

And Now;

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The black exhaust looks nice. I almost always prefer them to chrome. Gives it a cool contrast and matches up with the black paint on your bike.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Scrapez posted:

The black exhaust looks nice. I almost always prefer them to chrome. Gives it a cool contrast and matches up with the black paint on your bike.

I have started to abhor chrome on bikes I ride. Currently working through eradicating every piece of it I can on my Wide Glide.

Pipes are next. It's almost as if everything on the WG dash/top, from the hours of 11am till 3pm in Georgia is deliberately angled so as to STAB YOU IN THE EYES with the sun. I'm sure I look goofy as hell riding down the road bobbing and contorting my head around so I can have a few seconds of relief from direct reflections into my eye sockets.

:(

HaB fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 19, 2015

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
What is the black on stuff like that? Obviously it's not paint or anodizing... is it powdercoating?

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

OMGVBFLOL posted:

What is the black on stuff like that? Obviously it's not paint or anodizing... is it powdercoating?

It's a ceramic coating, at least that's what Vance & Hines says anyway.

Scrapez posted:

I'm really liking the ISO grips as well. But yeah I really wanted to roll back some of the chrome the PO festooned the bike with.

Outside Dawg fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 20, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I like chrome. I chromed a few pieces on my bike. But when you start bolting every chrome piece of poo poo in the catalog onto your penis cruiser then you should get hit by a car.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Finally, after almost 10 years, I am now the owner of a 2015 Street Bob!

Traded in my 2014 Yamaha Bolt for it. My dad used to ride Harley's when I was a kid, so I've always grown up loving cruisers and always wanted an HD. I have to say, honestly though, the brakes on this thing really suck compared to the Bolt, so that's definitely going to be the first thing I upgrade. Looking forward to customizing the hell out of this thing.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Duck_King posted:

Traded in my 2014 Yamaha Bolt for it. My dad used to ride Harley's when I was a kid, so I've always grown up loving cruisers and always wanted an HD. I have to say, honestly though, the brakes on this thing really suck compared to the Bolt, so that's definitely going to be the first thing I upgrade. Looking forward to customizing the hell out of this thing.

Nice. The Street Bob was on my short list when I bought my 2014 Wide Glide. I had to fold up to get on the Street Bob (I'm 6'2). My feet were behind my knees, and my hands were WAY out in front, like ape hangers, but horizontal instead of vertical. Couldn't see myself riding in that position, but they are cool bikes. Congrats.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Duck_King posted:

Nice looking bike. If I rode alone I think I'd have a Street Bob. Good power in a smaller frame but bigger than a Sportster so you can put on some miles.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scrapez posted:

Nice looking bike. If I rode alone I think I'd have a Street Bob. Good power in a smaller frame but bigger than a Sportster so you can put on some miles.

Not to start an argument, but you can put plenty of miles on a sporty. I'm over 6'1" and I have had no issues with any of the bikes I have ridden from a shadow vlx to a sporty to an evo street bob they are all fine. I have even run around on a ninja 250 and haven't had these problems everyone talks about.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you might just have a harder rear end than most, egm. your budding hardtail chopper suggests that, lol

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You can tour on anything but I tend to separate "can" and "want to".

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

You can tour on anything but I tend to separate "can" and "want to".

Truth. Love my '48 but if I had any decent stretch of highway to get in to work I'd have been looking at something else.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

It's all a matter of comfort. I rode a Sportster for years up until this year. I rode it everywhere, in all conditions. Put 50000 miles on two Sportsters. But after a day of 500 miles, I was sore. Even with forward controls and a nice Mustang pillow seat.

The Road King I have now, I can put that many miles on in a day and not be nearly as sore. It's just a bigger bike with more displacement so it revs lower and keeps the wind off of you more.

The Sportster was a lot more FUN to ride, though.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Ugh. The struggle of 1.25" bars.

So as a dealer option when I bought my Wide Glide, I had Harley's own 12" apes put on. After almost 2 years with them, I want about 4 more inches of rise out of them, so I start looking for 16" apes.

Harley of course has an identical kit, 16" black apes with a riser for like $329. But when I take a look around bars alone are like $130 tops, and I already have the same riser as in the Harley kit. So I do some deeper looking to find something which might fit the bill. I like everything else about the 12s - the width and pullback and angle are pretty much perfect. I literally JUST want my hands 4 inches higher.

Sadly my options loving SUCK. If I get true (more on this in a minute) 1.25" bars with 16" of rise, one of the other dimensions isn't even close. Like width goes from 32" to 39" or pullback gets a similar change. The other options are not-true 1.25" bars which are stepped down for the clamp section. But now I'm having to switch risers as well, and we're back up into prices near the Harley kit.

In the end, after finding bars I like which didn't change much other than the rise and a new clamp, I was at $319. :|

I just went with the Harley kit, because at least I know that one ONLY changes rise. I guess I will try to see if I can Craigslist the riser and maybe get $50 out of it.

Still waiting on them to arrive. Will post before/afters when they are on the bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They are truly evil marketing geniuses.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

HaB posted:

I just got to experience the fun and excitement of trying to find a 70/30 dual sport tire for a 16" nightster rear. Ended up going with an Avon AM7 for the rear and a 21" Shinko 700 for the front and just have come to terms with the fact that if I want anything knobby-esque I won't be able to match the front and rear.

I don't know why they couldn't have just made the Nightster rear a 17 and in turn made it easier for everyone but hey, HDMC.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Same situation with wheels--between the front and back, I think the Sporty axle size changed no less than 5 times from 04-present. Way to crush everything but the errr, bespoke aftermarket.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
eh, it didn't end up as bad as I had thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

HaB posted:

So as a dealer option when I bought my Wide Glide, I had Harley's own 12" apes put on. After almost 2 years with them, I want about 4 more inches of rise out of them, so I start looking for 16" apes.

Harley of course has an identical kit, 16" black apes with a riser for like $329. But when I take a look around bars alone are like $130 tops, and I already have the same riser as in the Harley kit. So I do some deeper looking to find something which might fit the bill. I like everything else about the 12s - the width and pullback and angle are pretty much perfect. I literally JUST want my hands 4 inches higher.

Sadly my options loving SUCK. If I get true (more on this in a minute) 1.25" bars with 16" of rise, one of the other dimensions isn't even close. Like width goes from 32" to 39" or pullback gets a similar change. The other options are not-true 1.25" bars which are stepped down for the clamp section. But now I'm having to switch risers as well, and we're back up into prices near the Harley kit.

In the end, after finding bars I like which didn't change much other than the rise and a new clamp, I was at $319. :|

I just went with the Harley kit, because at least I know that one ONLY changes rise. I guess I will try to see if I can Craigslist the riser and maybe get $50 out of it.

Still waiting on them to arrive. Will post before/afters when they are on the bike.

Umm..many didn't you just get some bigger risers? You can get 4 inch risers for 50 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-GLOSS-BLACK-1-1-4-RISERS-W-CHROME-AND-BLACK-CLAMP-/261959272842

There you go man.

Also does the kit come with new cables? Your brake and throttle cables may not be long enough wi 4 extra inches of rise to twist all the way when maneuvering the handlebars. Lots of stock nikes come with a bunch of extra length but sometimes not enough.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 10, 2015

• Locked thread