Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Umm..many didn't you just get some bigger risers? You can get 4 inch risers for 50 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-GLOSS-BLACK-1-1-4-RISERS-W-CHROME-AND-BLACK-CLAMP-/261959272842

There you go man.

Also does the kit come with new cables? Your brake and throttle cables may not be long enough wi 4 extra inches of rise to twist all the way when maneuvering the handlebars. Lots of stock nikes come with a bunch of extra length but sometimes not enough.

Already have 4" risers. And yeah I needed cables too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

HaB posted:

Already have 4" risers. And yeah I needed cables too.

So you had 4 inch risers and 12 inch baby apes.. And you wanted to go up to 20 inches total? Are your hands above your head now?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So you had 4 inch risers and 12 inch baby apes.. And you wanted to go up to 20 inches total? Are your hands above your head now?

Still not installed yet. But 16" apes will put them right at my forehead. Tall man is tall. :)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

HaB posted:

Still not installed yet. But 16" apes will put them right at my forehead. Tall man is tall. :)

This is how I envision you

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is how I envision you

Ahahaha.

It's nowhere near that tall, I assure you.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Out of curiosity, do your arms ever fall asleep at that height? Are parking lot maneuvers harder?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

M42 posted:

Out of curiosity, do your arms ever fall asleep at that height? Are parking lot maneuvers harder?

I've actually heard from a grizzled old biker that the secret to low speed cruiser maneuvers is 12" bars and great clutch control...

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

M42 posted:

Not at all. I used to ride a chopper that while...not as high as that pic, was pretty high. Like wrists level with the top of my head, and even that wasn't really a problem.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

HaB posted:

Not at all. I used to ride a chopper that while...not as high as that pic, was pretty high. Like wrists level with the top of my head, and even that wasn't really a problem.

I prefer my hands right below shoulder level.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I prefer my hands right below shoulder level.

So I hadn't been riding for a few days, and I paid attention this morning as I was coming in. With the 12" apes, my hands are slightly below level with my shoulders. I snapped a lovely selfie when I got to work this morning:

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009
So, I've been lurking for a while, took the MSF, got my endorsement and went shopping for a bike. I read all the advice to buy a used bike first so I went to the dealership and they had a '15 XL883N with 860 miles on it, seemed like a good deal (about 1500 cheaper than the new one they had on the floor). It had a higher handlebar already installed which made it feel pretty comfortable for me too, as I was able to sit up a little easier. I was looking at starting out on a Street 750, but at 6'3 and 230# I felt really cramped.

Just wanted to drop a note saying thanks to everyone for all the great advice in the posts I've been reading.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Bogieman posted:

So, I've been lurking for a while, took the MSF, got my endorsement and went shopping for a bike. I read all the advice to buy a used bike first so I went to the dealership and they had a '15 XL883N with 860 miles on it, seemed like a good deal (about 1500 cheaper than the new one they had on the floor). It had a higher handlebar already installed which made it feel pretty comfortable for me too, as I was able to sit up a little easier. I was looking at starting out on a Street 750, but at 6'3 and 230# I felt really cramped.

Just wanted to drop a note saying thanks to everyone for all the great advice in the posts I've been reading.

Congrats! I'm kind of surprised that's how the sizing went for you. The other day someone parked an Iron 883 next to my Vulcan 500LTD and I was struck by what a small bike the 883 is. Definitely a better looking bike than the Street, though.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Bogieman posted:

I feel you on tall people problems. I'm 6'2", 200. The Dyna Wide Glide was just about the only thing which didn't make me feel like I was folded up.

Also: just swapped out pipes: (stock on top/ new pipes on bottom)

Was pleasantly surprised by the performance increase. S&S Air Cleaner is next, then a Dyno run. :)

My 16" Apes are back ordered till the end of the month. :(

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009
I really liked the Dyna Wide Glide, felt comfortable on it, but the used ones they had in stock were a bit out of my price range.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Congrats! I'm kind of surprised that's how the sizing went for you. The other day someone parked an Iron 883 next to my Vulcan 500LTD and I was struck by what a small bike the 883 is. Definitely a better looking bike than the Street, though.

I feel as though the aesthetics in a Harley come from chrome, sound and uniqueness. The 883 totally fails the last part to me.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Verge posted:

the aesthetics in a Harley come from chrome, sound and uniqueness.

this is really funny

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Definitely a better looking bike than the Street, though.

I think just about anything is. To begin with, they need to fix the awful looking wiring that goes by the steering head on the Street. I'm pretty surprised that made production on a Harley, that's Erik level shenanigans.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

this is really funny

I always thought the aesthetics came from work making it look nothing like a HD.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I always thought the aesthetics came from work making it look nothing like a HD.

if by "HD" you mean the hilariously bloated bullshit that most HD owners ride then yeah, i agree

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
but if HD seriously means "CHROME CHROME CHROME I LOVE CHROME ALSO LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES" to you then you're part of the problem imo

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

but if HD seriously means "CHROME CHROME CHROME I LOVE CHROME ALSO LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES" to you then you're part of the problem imo

No I mean more like this

Which is my bike we just finished building and a shameless cross post from my build thread.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

clutchpuck posted:

I think just about anything is. To begin with, they need to fix the awful looking wiring that goes by the steering head on the Street. I'm pretty surprised that made production on a Harley, that's Erik level shenanigans.

Yeah, I don't mind the wiring, ugly horn, etc. so much since it's relatively easy to fix that stuff, but I am sadly not a fan of the tank, tail, or "dark custom" coloring of all the mechanical parts. It's interesting when you compare it to Kawasaki's Vulcan S, which is a plastic-y spaceship with a Versys engine but gets the *shapes* right and IMO ends up a much more likeable bike. It's a shame, really the only reason that I'm riding again these days is that test riding the Street 750 was so freaking fun, but when I thought about everything I'd have to do to make it loveable -- both functional stuff like working brakes and aesthetics like finding some way to ameliorate the cheap-looking black pit of cheap-looking blackness -- I just couldn't stomach paying new-bike prices.

Verge posted:

I feel as though the aesthetics in a Harley come from chrome, sound and uniqueness. The 883 totally fails the last part to me.

The reason it fails on uniqueness now, 8 years after the introduction of the Iron 883, is that it had a huge target on its back that other manufacturers have since hit again and again. When the Iron came out it was novel and just remembering how my sport-touring friends and I all responded to its original launch I bet it pulled in a lot of first-time Harley buyers.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

at this point, "iron" and "883" are synonymous, aren't they? I think it's the only model left that offers the smaller evo.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 30, 2015

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

at this point, "iron" and "883" are synonymous, aren't they? I think it's the only model left that offers the smaller evo.

No, there's still one more (SuperLow).

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

[quote="The reason it fails on uniqueness now, 8 years after the introduction of the Iron 883, is that it had a huge target on its back that other manufacturers have since hit again and again. When the Iron came out it was novel and just remembering how my sport-touring friends and I all responded to its original launch I bet it pulled in a lot of first-time Harley buyers.
[/quote]

Don't misunderstand, i acknowledge this - it's just that the roads are now "over-883'd" imo and it's time for a new Harley.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Verge posted:

Don't misunderstand, i acknowledge this - it's just that the roads are now "over-883'd" imo and it's time for a new Harley.

No argument there. With the other manufacturers all building multiple bikes around their smaller twin platforms (Ninja 650/Versys/Vulcan S on the 650, all the different CB500's of the alphabet, the upcoming XSR700 and FJ07 on Yamaha's FZ07 platform), it would be cool to see Harley build more diverse bikes around the Revolution X. They could probably get in on the sweet sweet scrambler dollars without sacrificing brand identity, and at least overseas I bet there would be a good market for a little bagger.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Anyone ever used the Mustang fastback two up seat? I want to get a two up for the bike that doesn't look like a hemorrhoid donut, but I'd like to hear from people that have used it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I finally got around to replacing the terrible stock seat on my bike with the Mustang Solo (or whatever the hell they're calling it now.)

It's a lot more comfortable, but the ride height is different, which will take some getting used to.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Strife posted:

I finally got around to replacing the terrible stock seat on my bike with the Mustang Solo (or whatever the hell they're calling it now.)

It's a lot more comfortable, but the ride height is different, which will take some getting used to.

drat I need one of those!

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Pinky Artichoke posted:

No argument there. With the other manufacturers all building multiple bikes around their smaller twin platforms (Ninja 650/Versys/Vulcan S on the 650, all the different CB500's of the alphabet, the upcoming XSR700 and FJ07 on Yamaha's FZ07 platform), it would be cool to see Harley build more diverse bikes around the Revolution X. They could probably get in on the sweet sweet scrambler dollars without sacrificing brand identity, and at least overseas I bet there would be a good market for a little bagger.

I would ride the poo poo out of a HD scrambler, especially an over the top 750.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Quite a while ago, I changed out the exhaust on my bike for aesthetic reasons. That led to a drop in power and some odd performance issues where the bike would choke out at the top of first gear. So I bought a Screaming Eagle Super Tuner Pro and threw a Stage 1 tune on the bike. That improved things, but the engine was then starved for air, and I never got around to properly street tuning it.

I just bought and installed a Kuryakyn Mach 2 after reading some reviews online. It's not so large that I can't reach the brake, but it's large enough to take in enough air for the tune I had previously applied.

The performance is better and it's real pretty.

I don't know what to change now.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
There's always stuff you can pour money into! :buddy: My Revzilla wish list is gonna take a few grand to get through. I added a new exhaust, fuel tuner, and air intake shortly after buying mine as well.

(Forgive the lawn, I haven't watered in months because of the drought. We call it "California Gold")

Rog McDodge
Oct 21, 2005

Finally got myself a Harley, after 3 years of metric. Wow... I love it...

It's an 04 Road King Classic. So chuffed with it!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Strife posted:

Quite a while ago, I changed out the exhaust on my bike for aesthetic reasons. That led to a drop in power and some odd performance issues where the bike would choke out at the top of first gear. So I bought a Screaming Eagle Super Tuner Pro and threw a Stage 1 tune on the bike. That improved things, but the engine was then starved for air, and I never got around to properly street tuning it.

I just bought and installed a Kuryakyn Mach 2 after reading some reviews online. It's not so large that I can't reach the brake, but it's large enough to take in enough air for the tune I had previously applied.

The performance is better and it's real pretty.

I don't know what to change now.

If you want some of that performance back, add baffles. Straight pipes rob a ton of low end torque.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Rog McDodge posted:

Finally got myself a Harley, after 3 years of metric. Wow... I love it...

It's an 04 Road King Classic. So chuffed with it!

Puuuurty!

Congrats, man!

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Brought a new (to me) bike home, 2005 Softtail.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Outside Dawg posted:

Brought a new (to me) bike home, 2005 Softtail.

Looks nice. Don't neglect those spokes, I hear they're the most maintenance-needy part of a Harley outside of tire pressure. That might be stupid overheard motorcycle poo poo, though. That being said, I want one for my XG750.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Nice looking bike. The biggest bitch with spokes I had was keeping them clean. Yikes...what a pain in the rear end.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, I've had several bikes with spokes and they can be a pain. One solution has been this little foam ball that attaches to a power drill, it's sold by Mother's and takes care of the lion's share of the work. But there's still a lot of hand work involved, luckily for me the wife loves to polish the chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Outside Dawg posted:

. But there's still a lot of hand work involved, luckily for me the wife loves to polish the chrome.

Oh yeah!

• Locked thread