Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
turns out my bike goes over 100 without a problem. not something i want to do again without a full face helmet on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

The Bananana posted:

Ehhh.... I don't want to talk about it. :eng99:

Gotta love crash bars, yo.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Handlebar tassels

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Nitrox posted:

Handlebar tassels

those gotta be the first to put on a harley!

joking aside, first accessory should be a good seat, good pipes, and free flow filter (and some fuel management computer)

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

adary posted:

joking aside, first accessory should be a good seat, good pipes, and free flow filter (and some fuel management computer)

this. without getting that computer mod, all those pipes do is help your fuel injected bike run lean

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

adary posted:

I was voting for $25 frame sliders and $45 bar-end guards as a good first investment. But it's a sore (scratchy?) subject apparently. Crash-bars seem helpful but are a little pricey, just the sliders seem like cheap initial protection.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Crash bars are definitely a good idea though. They range from about $200 (basic) all the way up to around $400 for high end stuff. They do work and will save you some tears when you drop it, they did for me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I was voting for $25 frame sliders and $45 bar-end guards as a good first investment. But it's a sore (scratchy?) subject apparently. Crash-bars seem helpful but are a little pricey, just the sliders seem like cheap initial protection.

Frame sliders on a Harley are you mad?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Layer dan bud

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You install the huge loopy engine guards that double as highway foot rests and additional accessory mounts.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I might be a member of CAHOG sooner than expected.

Can I get your thoughts on this Softail Classic? http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/ottawa/heritage-classic-needs-new-home/1177255686

Owner says it has a Vance and Hines exhaust, and custom paint job.

Any Harley-specific questions I should be asking?
Is the asking price reasonable/high/low?

Edit: Every year for the past 4 or 5 years, while on business in Los Angeles and/or Las Vegas, I rent a Sportster/RoadKing/Softail for some local touring (love the PCH). Between those models I find the Softail Classic to be the most comfortable while still being manageable in traffic and at low speeds (the Road King feels like has too much weight too high up).

epswing fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 28, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Based on my local market, I'd try to stay under $10k for a 88 or 96. I have no idea what they were putting in Softails in 09 though.

"I live on gravel road And do not have the right winter storage for it" equals it's got scratches and rust. Check the belt for gravel damage. Look for cigarette burns. The only bike I've ever seen with cigarette burns on the saddle was a Softail and since then I look for it and holy crap, lots of them have them.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

clutchpuck posted:

Based on my local market, I'd try to stay under $10k for a 88 or 96. I have no idea what they were putting in Softails in 09 though.

"I live on gravel road And do not have the right winter storage for it" equals it's got scratches and rust. Check the belt for gravel damage. Look for cigarette burns. The only bike I've ever seen with cigarette burns on the saddle was a Softail and since then I look for it and holy crap, lots of them have them.

I've never owed a belt-drive bike before, what does belt gravel damage look like?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sometimes gravel will go right through the belt leaving a hole, that's easy to spot. Have them roll the bike and watch the belt. You can also watch the belt teeth as the wheel turns, pay attention to chunks taken out of belt teeth or for damaged pulley teeth.

A little fraying on the edges isn't necessarily bad. Cracks and excessive flaking between belt teeth is a good sign the belt used up in general. But unless it gets damaged, they're usually good for pretty much ever.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

"Custom paint job" is always a bit scary. A good paint job is big money and a lot of the bikes I've seen with non-factory paint jobs don't compare to the original.

I'd take a good close look at the paint to see how good of a job it is and also ask who painted it and with what.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Z3n posted:

Raise it up and gently caress with the geometry, making it handle worse. And you won't be able to get sticky tires for it. Basically, give up on trying to make the bike something it isn't and appreciate it for what it is. If you wanna lean, buy an SV650 or something.

Purchased. I can lean now. Thanks.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Scrapez posted:

"Custom paint job" is always a bit scary. A good paint job is big money and a lot of the bikes I've seen with non-factory paint jobs don't compare to the original.

I'd take a good close look at the paint to see how good of a job it is and also ask who painted it and with what.

Looks like the factory "custom" on that paint job. HD usually runs a palette exclusive to certain models and calls it custom, that looks to be the Flame blue/ Pewter Pear, from the pics.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Verge posted:

Purchased. I can lean now. Thanks.

Go with God, my son.

(Buy a 1290 SuperDuke)

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Outside Dawg posted:

Looks like the factory "custom" on that paint job. HD usually runs a palette exclusive to certain models and calls it custom, that looks to be the Flame blue/ Pewter Pear, from the pics.

Nice. I was misinterpreting the description. That actually adds a little value.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Z3n posted:

Go with God, my son.

(Buy a 1290 SuperDuke)

That one's gonna take a bit longer but ok, brb buying 1290.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Also saw a used Heritage Softail Classic in the showroom of my local HD dealership :ohdear:. It's a 2012, looked clean with no dents/scratches, with only 6,631 km (4,120 mi) on it, so it's just a baby and hasn't been ridden much. They're asking 16,900 CAD (that's 13,008 USD) for it.

Is this an insane price?

I'm trying to get a handle on the Harley Davidson (tm) markup factor.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

epalm posted:

Also saw a used Heritage Softail Classic in the showroom of my local HD dealership :ohdear:. It's a 2012, looked clean with no dents/scratches, with only 6,631 km (4,120 mi) on it, so it's just a baby and hasn't been ridden much. They're asking 16,900 CAD (that's 13,008 USD) for it.

Is this an insane price?

Sounds like a good price for that bike

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Jfc that's expensive.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's more than a new Roadster.

Also a couple grand more than the only Softail Classic I found near Seattle.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

epalm posted:

Is this an insane price?

That's a tad high, but not insane comparatively for that Model/ Year, like Clutchpuck said looks about 2K (USD) on the high side. Depending on the dealership, they may or may not haggle on the price, if that's the model your after.

(e): Are you looking for a Heritage specifically or ?. The Touring bikes tend to hold their value longer than other models, the Dynas tend to be much more reasonable of all the "Big Twins", you can often pick one up for under 10k USD (even less with a bit of shopping). I cannot even fathom the pricing on some of the Sportster variants (ie Roadster, 48, and 72).

Outside Dawg fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 1, 2016

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Motorcycles in Canada cost so drat much :( and don't get me started on Canadian motorcycle insurance costs :3:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Yeah don't forget, that's a dealer's asking price. They're less likely to be firm than a private seller. Try to haggle.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Outside Dawg posted:

Are you looking for a Heritage specifically or ?

Looking for something on the cheaper side, comfortable, with bags, windshield, and good for 2up. The Heritage checks those boxes, and I've rented it a number of times, sometimes spending 6-8 hours on the bike so I know it fits my dimensions. The "classic" look isn't my absolute favorite but I'm fine with it.

If there are others I should be paying attention to, I'd love to know.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Yeah don't forget, that's a dealer's asking price. They're less likely to be firm than a private seller. Try to haggle.

Yep, I'm going to sit down with the sales guy on Saturday morning to talk numbers. Any good do's/dont's? Owned 6 bikes in the last 6 years, all through private sales, never from a dealership.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Depends on what kind of riding you are looking to do, but a Wide Glide might work for you and they can frequently be found below the 8-10k range on the used market.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Road King. I like the late evo road kings a lot.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Outside Dawg posted:

Depends on what kind of riding you are looking to do, but a Wide Glide might work for you and they can frequently be found below the 8-10k range on the used market.

Never ridden one of these, I like the look, but the Wide Glide doesn't look comfy for the passenger. Also it doesn't come with bags or a windshield. Those are my criteria (comfy, good for 2up, bags, windshield).

clutchpuck posted:

Road King. I like the late evo road kings a lot.

I've rented a couple of Road Kings. I really like them on the highway, but with the added weight of a passenger in slower traffic, I didn't appreciate the higher center of gravity. I'm not a big guy, and this bike ended up being a little too heavy for me (66 lbs heavier than the HSC).

Edit: Anyone have feelings for the Switchback? Seems to check all my boxes, has a modern look, and has the same engine as the Softail Classic and Road King.

epswing fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 1, 2016

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
That's the beauty of HD, I don't think there is a brand out there that enjoys the type of aftermarket they do. Don't like the seat? Change it. Want bags? Here, bolt these suckers on. Want a windscreen? Here's seven different ones with various attachment schemes.

The Switchback looks interesting, it's a better option (for my tastes anyway) than the Heritage, looks to be as capable for touring use but without the "Classic" trim. The standard ABS is a nice touch, glad to see it moving down the model line up. I've sat on a couple of them at my local dealership and like the fit and feel of them ( I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam) if I hadn't picked up the Softail Standard last fall, I'd certainly be considering one of those Switchbacks.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I like Dynas and the switchback is a good idea, but they seem to sacrifice some luggage stability for looking good with it off. Seems a little loosely-secured to me, but that was just impressions from a showroom touchy feely session.

I'd put a rear rack on a regular Dyna and get a nice big dry bag to travel with.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Outside Dawg posted:

That's the beauty of HD, I don't think there is a brand out there that enjoys the type of aftermarket they do. Don't like the seat? Change it. Want bags? Here, bolt these suckers on. Want a windscreen? Here's seven different ones with various attachment schemes.

The Switchback looks interesting, it's a better option (for my tastes anyway) than the Heritage, looks to be as capable for touring use but without the "Classic" trim. The standard ABS is a nice touch, glad to see it moving down the model line up. I've sat on a couple of them at my local dealership and like the fit and feel of them ( I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam) if I hadn't picked up the Softail Standard last fall, I'd certainly be considering one of those Switchbacks.

I don't really like the switchback. The front is ugly, and the bags look too flimsy. If you are into dynas take a fat bob, and strap on some good bags

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

adary posted:

I don't really like the switchback. The front is ugly, and the bags look too flimsy. If you are into dynas take a fat bob, and strap on some good bags

The front reminds me of a Fat Bob, which is probably why I'd go for a Low Rider S, That is if I hadn't bought the FXSTi. The bags didn't look all that different than the hard bags on my Ultra Glide, look to have a similiar attachment set up as well.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Road King can be easily lowered to help with high center of gravity.

You can pick up a set of street glide stock shocks for rear that lower it 1.5" for about 50 bucks and progressive drop ins for front to lower it for around $125.

The 2003-2007 Road Kings can be had fairly responsibly since there are so many of them. Only issue are the cam tensioners but most say they're good for at least 40k. If you go that route, make sure you avoid the 1998-2003 bikes with Magneti-Marelli fuel injection.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Get a 98 with a carb

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

Get a 98 with a carb

Also an option but the brakes did get upgraded in 2000 I think.

Power commander makes adjustments for different intake and exhaust even easier than rejetting carb.

Then again, less electronics generally means more reliable.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

clutchpuck posted:

Get a 98 with a carb

I had a '93 with a carb for the longest time, and it was awesome until it wasn't. And once it started not being awesome it left me stranded so many times that I didn't even blink when I switched it for a 2015 street bob.

Part of the problem is probably that there are not enough quailfied mechanics around where I live to diagnose it's problems. It started choking and missfiring, and all they (the mechanics) ever looked at was the carb, and it turned out to be a bad ignition module, which was followed by botched up carb repair that wasn't needed in the first place.

Back to 2015 street bob, it's almost perfect but it lacks the dual disks in the front and once that was sorted out it did become perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What kind of gas should I be using in my Street 750? I've been doing the premium stuff since I got it, but I wanted to make sure that was ok.

• Locked thread