Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm not saying I endorse this guy's lawsuit, I think he's a loving idiot too. But I think it's immoral from a manufacturer's perspective to make products that have user-interface ambiguities about life saving safety components. I don't think you should gently caress around with that stuff. And it [ABS] is way more significant on bikes than on cars.

There is no ambiguity. It's a shared gauge cluster and the text "ABS" is on there in black on black, only visible in direct sunlight or if you're specifically looking for it with a flashlight. Starkly unlike the actual available features on that particular bike, identified by actually lighting up and being visible in normal conditions.

The gauge cluster in my car is shared with a bunch of other models and engine variants. It has a 7000rpm rev counter and shows lights for diff locks, 4x4 engagement, outside temperature warning, automatic gearbox failure, front fog lights, parking sensor and a bunch of others.

Should I sue the manufacturer because my FWD diesel variant has or does none of those things, yet the text and icons for the lights are somewhat visible under perfect lighting conditions?

gently caress no. "Idiot lights", indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If it really is that hard to see then I withdraw my complaint. I only care about what's obvious to the owner. I've never seen a Harley's dashboard that's offered with ABS up close so I wouldn't know. I'm envisioning a dashboard plate with the letters ABS in high contrast lettering and an LED next to it that just happens to never light up if it doesn't have ABS. That's the kind of thing I'd have a problem with.

From looking at pictures, it looks like the idiot lights are in the shiny plastic between the gauges and the handlebars and possible in the gauges themselves, with white icons on a semi-transparent background.

Either way, it looks like you'd really have to look for them to see any unlit idiot lights.

It it were oldschool lights next to high-contrast letting, I'd agree completely with your original point.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Hey boys, wanna ride my Black Iron Super Glide Muscle Rod? #stereotypicalharley"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Backov posted:

What effect does water cooling have on emissions? Don't get it.

An air-cooled engine takes longer to reach operating temperature and will fluctuate, depending whether you're sitting still and idling or riding at speed.

Stable temperatures are better for predictable emissions and faster engine-warmup is much better for catalytic converters.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KARMA! posted:

What's the appeal of air cooled? History, easier mechanics, or something else?

No need to worry about coolant, water pumps etc., that's pretty much it.

Plus finned engines look cool.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I like that a lot. Harley should make bikes like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Giblet Plus! posted:

all that and they also sound cooler due to more sound transmission of the combustion event thru the cylinder jugs

I dunno about that, I can't hear it over all the valvetrain noise :v:

• Locked thread