Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I have joined the elite C.A.H.O.G.(R) with the purchase of a 2006 XH1200 Custom. Supposedly the H stands for higher compression, but you could understand my confusion when it comes up as a XL in VIN checks. Do I get a sticker for joining or anything? Poker chip?

Mine on the right, with a friend's '03 Anniversary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Scrapez posted:

Nice bike. Not sure about that front fender but to each his own.

I like the customs Speedo mount so much better than the standard.

Yeah, the dealer has the original waiting for me to pick up, I've just been having too much fun to go get it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Marv Hushman posted:

Bottom line, I don't believe there was ever an XH, and certainly not in the last decade.

Ooops! I actually meant to write XLH instead of XH. You are right that the "official" documentation denotes it as an XLH 1200 Custom while everything else seems to indicate it is an XL1200 Custom.

I'm thinking I need to put on the stock fender this weekend and maybe do the stock exhaust as well. Do I need any special HD tools for either of those jobs or will your standard toolbox contain most of what is needed? Also, anyone recommend a light bar for the front and rear that still looks good? I am surrounded by enough old people that I am in desperate need of more than the single light in the rear.

... black exhaust from headers back? Maybe I need to go that route.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Do you goons (who change your own oil) buy your oil and filters from the dealer, the Harley website, or just get non Harley stuff from Amazon/motorcycle site or a local auto/cycle shop?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Ok, have oil and filter for changing tomorrow. Rear brake pads need changing and the lines might need adjusting. Do you guys have a preference for pads? This is all for a rubber mount 1200C. Also, PR3/4s seem to be the CA choice, but what is the tire of choice for the Sportster? Just get the Dunlops?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

DJCobol posted:

I may get a different seat for it eventually, but so far it is VERY comfortable.

Right about $12k, which is what KBB lists bluebook as.

I've been curious about the vrods, is there a reason they keep their value so well? I see 03 vrods in SoCal for $10k sometimes. They are probably crazy, but still, there are many listed much closer to the price of a new one. A new Night Rod is only $17k or so...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Marv Hushman posted:

Because some of them are like this:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/4932989172.html

All jokes about polished/never ridden aside, people with $10-20K into a bike anything have a tendency to want to preserve it and stave off depreciation. Second, I'm beginning to hear buzz about HD being back in a position to charge above MSRP in some markets, particularly if you're already bent over and are paying the vig, taxes, destination, undercoating, etc. (making the $17K bike cited above God knows what all in.) This makes the private, string-free used market for HDs in general really, really, really attractive. Given the glacial pace of change year over year (oft pointed out in these pages) there really isn't much feature sacrifice unless you're gaga over the latest tins. Lastly, they just run now. You really have to be an absolute loving dong to kill these motors, the sort that's easily spotted by anyone performing the due diligence that comes with handing over your own cash.

drat, because I am currently in the market to trade up...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

Not to be an rear end or anything, but if you're already looking at 12k+ for a VRod, is there any reason other than brand loyalty to not pick up a Diavel instead? I'd say VMax but gently caress the price on those.

If this was to me then I would say I am not looking at vrods over $12k. Since I am not brand loyal, what I really want is a 2015 R 1200R from BMW. However, there isn't a large used market for 2015 BMWs, unless I am missing something...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

I configured one and started getting close to $17k real quick. Good luck getting a used one much under sticker, too.

Same here. I figure with my wife's recent promotion and maybe getting a job myself I can afford monthly payments on one but I need to ride to LA or San Diego and test ride a lot of bikes and see what I like and can afford if I am going to buy new.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Sportster springs. I want to do short trips with the wife 2up, together we are about 350lbs. Should I do heavy duty progressive 412s and heavy duty fork springs, or regular 412s? It is a bit divey in the front so I thought maybe I would do something about it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

M42 posted:

Out of curiosity, do your arms ever fall asleep at that height? Are parking lot maneuvers harder?

I've actually heard from a grizzled old biker that the secret to low speed cruiser maneuvers is 12" bars and great clutch control...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Strife posted:

I finally got around to replacing the terrible stock seat on my bike with the Mustang Solo (or whatever the hell they're calling it now.)

It's a lot more comfortable, but the ride height is different, which will take some getting used to.

drat I need one of those!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Outside Dawg posted:

. But there's still a lot of hand work involved, luckily for me the wife loves to polish the chrome.

Oh yeah!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Duck_King posted:

Yeah, I like that about SA. We ride Harley's but no one here's going to say something retarded like "If it ain' a HARLEY it ain' a bike! Jap crap! Rice rocket!". My two Harley riding buddies, older guys in their 50's, don't say that retarded poo poo either, and it's nice.

I've been working at this bike shop for a few months now, and we work on everything. This guy who knows the boss and another guy always shows up on his ragged late 80s fat bob or whatever and always talks poo poo about jap crap and how Harleys are what Jesus rides and poo poo like that. He thinks I'm with him on everything because I was in the army and now ride a Sportster but I tell him every chance I get how much I want to sell the sportster and buy something awesome. VRod he asks excitedly? Or maybe a new 48? Nah, I'm thinking a supermoto or even one of those Zero electric bikes. You can see his head start to shake as it is about to explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

why in gods name did you buy a new harley for $31k

Because he is a billionaire and already has one of everything else and just needed this last piece. Right? Please be right.

• Locked thread