Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I wanted a Blast but they never sold it here, that's why I got my SRX instead. Half a Sportster engine would probably have been more durable at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
The first bike I rode substantially after getting my license was a Sportster 1200. I really enjoyed it, and it wasn't one bit scary or unpredictable. It is really, really heavy though (but stopping was alright enough on the dual disc one I rode), and the gearing is such that you have to ride around slipping the (extremely heavy) clutch at low speeds, which is surprising given how torquey the engine is. I really hate the Harley indicator system too, both the hard to reach buttons and the auto-canceling. Quite comfortable to actually just ride though, nice seat and arm position. I'm sounding negative here but I'd love to actually own one.

If you do get one, I'd get one of the rubber mount ones (05+?), and I'd advise against lowering it. The ground clearance already is pretty slim, and I keep reading that the newer models are so low you keep dragging exhaust in roundabouts.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

As for lowering it that depends a lot on the model of Sportster. There are so many varieties with different suspension setups, control mounts, and exhausts (and brakes, and seats, and...) that it's hard to make overarching statements about them.

True, the one I rode was a 'sportier' one, with mid controls as well, aforementioned dual discs, and a relatively large tank, though I believe the Custom ones of the time had an even larger one. Doesn't look nearly as cool as a 48, but at least it's actually ridable. It had aftermarket shocks as well, the standard ones tended to bottom out riding two-up, don't know if they still have that issue.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

angryhampster posted:

I wish I could convince MY WIFE to get an 883 Sportster. She is completely opposed to piloting a motorcycle. Riding 2-up on a Sportster tends to suck.

Some kind of a back rest/sissy bar really makes all the difference on those. Without it you keep sliding back, it's horrible.

Edit: And without after-market shocks they keep bottoming out 2-up too.

High Protein fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 3, 2012

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
An XB will probably be my next bike, hopefully next year; there's plenty of low mileage 2008 and 2009 models out there. In fact had the Blast been available here I'd probably have picked one up over my SRX600.

I've always loved the look, I'll enjoy the low maintenance and I know that at least in the Sportster the engine is pretty much bullet proof, though the Sporter engine has a lower state of tune of course. I haven't been able to find anything indicating real weaknesses of the XBs other than maybe the need to reset the TPS every now and then but if yall have more information on peculiarities I'd be grateful.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Buell stuff

Thanks, not the first time I hear about Harleys being leaned out stock. As for the oil level, my SRX does pretty much the same thing, especially so when I didn't yet know to check the oil level with the engine warmed up (manual doesn't mention this).

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

So what's the overall opinion of the Fourty-Eight and Seventy-Two Sportsters? I've been looking for a first bike for a year or two, and now that my truck is paid off I think I'm ready to get one by next spring. My sister can get me a smokin' hot deal at the dealership near here, and I've more or less settled on one of those two. I know, I know, Sportster and all, but goddamn are those some sexy bikes.

The 48 is beautiful but these bikes are meant for looking at, not riding. Extremely low fuel capacity, very little ground clearance (keep hearing this complaint over and over), supposedly the 48's seat gets uncomfortable after an hour and I doubt the 72 is any better.

The Iron 883 has a larger tank and the Custom 1200 larger again, but I don't know about their respective ground clearances.

Apparently they ditched the 883 Roadster for this year, which was the last sportster with dual front discs (the XR1200 notwithstanding). I think 2008 was the last year for the 1200 Roadster, which IMO is the best non-XR1200 sportster.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

e- I don't like the fork style on the Iron 883, though, goddamn that just throws off the whole style of it.

Those are easy enough to remove though.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
XR1200's got the oil cooled heads yeah (and an oil cooler), and I think it uses a hotter cam. Biggest performance increase probably comes from the intake and exhaust though.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

The nice thing about motorcycling is it isn't always about lap times. I think 550lbs is fine for a street bike with a buttload of midrange like the XR has. The XR is not super flickable but it will lean over and hold a line well enough.

XB12S Lightnings are what you "XR is too heavy" guys are looking for though. Under 500lbs, similar sound and torque to an XR, oil cooled heads like the XR, proper rear suspension, only one front brake to worry about, fully-reprogrammable ECM, and around half the cost. It's an ugly duckling but you don't see much of it from the saddle.

The oil cooled heads are XR1200 only, weirdly, since the heads are actually exposed to the air on that.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Trying to work on my Buell always makes me want an XR1200 real bad too.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Strife posted:

^^ That's what I intend to do. I've got to take everything off to ensure that it's all sufficiently loctite-ed anyway, and I mean to replace the aluminum exhaust gaskets, so if something's loose I'll surely uncover that along the way.

Thanks for your help guys.

Maybe it's somewhere between the engine and oil filter?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Talking about Harley FI, I saw an ad for a screw you replace your idle air control valve with, so you can turn down the idle again for that lopey, oil-pressure destroying idle.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
On the other hand, they're ridiculously easy to work on...

Anyway, if you do go for a Sportster, if possible go for a 2004 or later one as they've got a rubber mount engine. Also, the 1200 is fine for a first bike.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I've done a lot of two up miles on the back of my dad's sportster and yeah, better shocks and a back rest made all the difference.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I hope this doesn't mean the end of the line for the evo engine, I know they had to switch to water cooling eventually but this has a 60 degree v angle, overhead cams, balance shafts and no hydraulic lifters. I know it's a minority opinion around here but I actually like that Harleys (and Buells) use 50s engine tech. My dad got a little excited about there finally being a 750cc Harley again though.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Why?

No hostility, just...why? If you like your bike to have an old-fashioned engine, there are millions upon millions of gently used Harleys out there that will suit your needs. What's wrong with making the engines in the new bikes objectively better?

I like the clattery, bumpy, kickstarty, clunky imprecision of my old CL350 too, but I'm sure not losing any sleep that Honda isn't making air-cooled engines with ignition points any more.
e: (for motorcycles, I've got no clue what they put in their generators and such)

Why, well that's a bit difficult to answer. I like bikes to feel mechanical and unrefined, but on the other hand I think it'd be weird to design a new engine to be gimped by a 45 degree V angle and pushrods on purpose. Does that mean I've succumbed to Heritage-based marketing by proxy? Maybe, but I think it's just plain cool they managed to squeeze 100HP out of something like this, just like I think it's cool how pushrod V8 engines are still competitive. I also enjoy the juxtaposition of a futuristic looking bike (with good brakes and suspension) that sounds and shakes like a tractor.

Disregarding Harley/Buell there's also people that choose to buy and MT-01 over a B-king, or anything else than one of the Honda 700CC bikes which are probably, purely objectively viewed, the best bike one can get.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Giblet Plus! posted:

Technically, it was Buell, not harley, who squeezed 100 hp out of the Evo.

I wasn't trying to imply otherwise :)

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

It's not just price, but that's good to know. I'm still a ways off, so I'm sure I'll be doing more research between now and the summer, but if there's known problem areas to keep an eye out for, I'd appreciate any input. I'm assuming taking a careful look for rust, chain wear, and obviously making sure it starts/runs. I'm not looking for a project, but I'm fine with some scrapes and wear.

I grew up riding ratty dirt bikes from the late 60s and 70s, (e: just realized this makes me sound older than I am; I'm 27) so the same (ee: probably broken) part of me that wants a cruiser also gets really excited at the idea of doubling down to get one with rigid mounts, chain drive, and kickstart.

That said, those ratty dirt bikes were also all metric, Honda XL175s and Hodakas and poo poo, so I may not have a great perspective on how much headache I'll be in for with a 30-40 year old Ironhead.

Ironhead known problems: the engine is poo poo and breaks all the time every time.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Outside Dawg posted:

Looks like this thread could use a bump.
First Harley, a 1977 Sportster;

I've thought about getting one of those timing covers for my Buell.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Scrapez posted:

I bought this thing last week. Going from a Sportster with 90+ hp to this thing that's way heavier and 65ish hp is a big adjustment. But, it is very comfortable.

What does it take to get 90hp out of a sportster?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Scrapez posted:

Not a lot actually other than some cash.

There are two outfits selling 1250 kits that do it really well. Nrhsperformance and hammer performance.

If you just bolt they're top end on you'll gain d
Some decent hp. I also had Andrews N4 cams and heads from the 2004-2006 sportster on mine. Those heads had better springs in them and the chamber apparently is much better than other Sportster heads even better than the Buell Thunder storm heads that used to be considered the best. Add to that a programmable ignition and hi flow air intake and you're at around 90 hp.

Put larger cams in and port the heads and a Mikuni carb and you can easily get over 100hp. Many guys on xlforum.net running 110hp Sportsters now. I don't know what kind of street manners they have, though. I went mild with mine and it has the same manners as it did before the build.

Interesting, thanks. Buell XBs had the same heads as the 2004+ Sportsters and made 100HP stock, but they had hotter cams, injection, 2-1 exhausts and a much better intake tract that seems like it would be hard to replicate on a Sportster. It's too bad we probably won't see a successor to the Evo.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

does Harley own a patent on the concept of auto-cancelling signals or is every other manufacturer just not dumb enough to think they're a good idea

My 1986 Yamaha SRX600 had them, thankfully the system could be disabled easily by removing some small electronics box. It was a both time and distance based system. I would signal ahead of merging onto/leaving the highway and by the time I would actually do so the blinkers would shut off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Riding Harleys for years means my dad rides around with this turn signal on 50% on the time now that he's got a Japanese bike. Lack of proper riding training back in the day also means the rides around with both his feet hovering along at low speeds, god that's awful to watch.

• Locked thread