Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I would buy a Harley if I could get it as just a rolling chassis without all the poo poo on it. And gently caress the twin cam. Give me an Evo.

Its cheaper and easier to buy all the ppieces you need and buy an Evo engine from the dealership then it is to actually buy a new bike.

I love my Honda but I have ridden a few of my buddies Harleys. They vibrate like hell, the mid controls suck, and the chrome poo poo on them is ridiculous. That being said in the the next few years I will build one based on an Evo or a Sportster 1200 engine.

Also I hate baggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Drumstick posted:

Thanks, Im trying to narrow my selection down between the sportster, Vstar and shadow spirit as a first bike. Didnt mean to cause too much of a ruckus just looking for opinion/thoughts.

Buy the Shadow VLX 600, it costs about 2-3 grand for an 03-07 and when you sell it in 2 years it will be worth 2-3 grand.

Also its a cruiser so feel free to chop away at it and do silly poo poo like I did to mine.

edit: Also if you chop a shadow people will continually ask you what kind of Harley it is even when it says HONDA SHADOW in big rear end letters on the tank and then they will proceed to get very confused when you explain to them its Japanese, they can be chopped, too.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 4, 2012

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

angryhampster posted:

Size-wise, how much bigger are Dynas than Sportsters? I have an '83 XLS and am considering trading up to a newer (99 or later) Dyna simply so I can be more comfortable when I'm riding. My Sporty is reliable and fun to ride, but I'm 6'1" and it's not large.

Just switch out some easy to change things. Make the foot pegs longer so you can kick your feet out a few inches (or get heel rest pegsd) and install some taller bars, not retarded apes but a good almost shoulder height will make it so much easier to ride. I'm about to swap the bars on my Honda and can't wait. Riding with low bars kind of sucks. FYI we are the same height and I never had problems riding my buddies sporty with taller bars.

Also if you can fab it you can move the controls a little farther forward but its not really necessary.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
you just fill the other bag with a 50 lbs dumbell, that evens it out

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Meh.. overpriced with mods you can do for yourself on a used sporty for 500 bucks and some Roth Metal Bomb rattle cans.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scrapez posted:

That can be said for basically any Sportster with factory mods.

It's a good looking bike. As you said, it can be done for a lot less money doing it yourself but the vast majority of riders are the type that buy their bike from the dealership and then take it back to the dealer to get all the parts switched onto it so they would end up paying that much to change a standard Sportster into the '72.

Oh I know, I just find it funny that they have to come up with a new name and charge 3 grand more for basically the same bike with some mini apes and a peanut tank.

I never will understand people that dont work on their own bike. I knew poo poo about gently caress when it came to bikes and my buddy has been teaching me all about them and how to maintain, modify and chop them ever since I got mine. Its more fun and wallet satisfying to take the 10 minutes to change the oil and filter yourself than to get charged 100 bucks to have someone else do it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Im on the lookout for a used Sporty right now to chop and make into something awesome (read: ridiculous) and skinny. But people here want 5500 bucks for a '95 883 and I cant take them seriously.

vvvvvv San Antonio, TX

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 10, 2012

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
That 03 looks pretty good. Athough I would have to wait until I can flip my VT800 I just bought before I could buy it (otherwise the wife might literally kill me).

Also yes I refuse to pay extra for chrome since its all getting stripped off and tossed in a box. One of the reasons I will end up wrenching a bike together frame up then buying a factory one from HD. I would rather spend 10K on a stripped down, no frills EVO hard tail then 15K on a bunch of chrome and hardware I have to rip off.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Alright I took my buddies 06 dyna street bob home today (we are tabbing him a sissy bar and pegs). First off those twin cams are nice but anything less than 40 mph and that bitch vibrates like its going to shake itself apart. Otherwise nice bike.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So we made new pegs and a badass sissy bar for my buddies Street Bob. He had an old harley sissy bar we cut the mounts off of and to be nice (since he has HD bars and shields all over his bike) we welded the original emblem back in place and covered it with the chrome and leather bar and shield so it still said HD.

It wasnt enough, so he put a big orange HD sticker on the front side of the emblem as well. So now the sissy bar says HD front and back.

:facepalm:

edit:

JESUS CHRIST!!!

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 23, 2012

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's pretty much what I figured but I honestly don't think I could ride like that. It just looks so... unstable.

It's not. It's just different.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

You're already standing though just hop off and run real fast, right?

It's a scooter... How fast can it go

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Even with open pipes my 600 is not earth shaking... this makes me sad.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I am so going to ride my honda to a HD dealership for a "real 'merrican bike!!" experience.. and get some freedom rays in the parking lot while buring through gas as fast as possible in one spot.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
It was called "Buell" but they couldnt figure it out.

The mistake was selling them only in the HD dealerships. They should have done like the japanese and let other outlets sell the Buell line up. That would keep their base happy and all that "Jap crap" in with the people who shop at the multi brand dealers.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Heading up to Austin this weekend to pick up an 02 XL1200 Sporty.

It has 30k miles, runs fine, looks good and is going to cost me 2500 bucks.

Hope it all goes smooth.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

clutchpuck posted:

It's hard to sell a 30,000 mile Sporty, they simply aren't as desirable as a big twin and there's a million out there with way less miles you could pay more for if you wanted.

This is why it's cheap. Sportys are everywhere down here but are looked down on as a "girls bike." this one is at a shop we trust, they went over everything and replaced a few parts ( brake cylinders front and back, new fork seals etc.) some guy bought it and brought it back 2 days Later because his wife freaked the hell out.

Now it's on consignment for a few hundred bucks less than he paid so she won't kill him.

His loss is my gain.

Like I said I hope it works out. I have a buyers check from the bank, just waiting for Saturday to go up there.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Welp, the Austin bike isnt working out. But I found a guy right next to my house who is selling an 01 XL1200 with only 5k miles for 3 grand. Going to look at it tomorrow, cash in hand.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Went and checked out the Sporty here in town with 5600 miels on it. We brought an extra battery and tools, it wouldnt start, we assume the carb needs to be cleaned out since it has been sitting. The owner said for only a year but the chrome on the rocker box covers and the primary is so pitted it is flaking off and looks terrible. Which would mean I either replace them ($$$) get them rechromed ($$$$$$) or get them powder coated (:effort:)

With both those issues I decided to pass since he wouldnt go below 2600 dollars.. Still looking for something.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I have purchased a thing.

1999 XL1200C, 26306 on the odometer, S&S Super E carb and some aftermarket pipes.
Time to Frankenstein it!

Oh I paid 3500 for it. I'm perfectly happy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Raven457 posted:

Is it common for a Harley to have that little mileage on it? I mean, that's only averages out to about 1900 miles a year. In any case, it looks good, congrats on your new bike :)

Best April fools post I read this year. :cheers:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So I have a set of nice chrome engine guard bar thingies to sell off this bike because they were the first thing I ripped off. I'm also going to be selling the Samson legend shorties exhaust since I will be fabricating my own.

Also the seat, risers, handlebars, controls and horn casing.

Anyone need any of that? The exhaust has O2 sensor ports for a FI bike but they are plugged right now since this one is carbureted.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

elsanto posted:

Cool. Looks like its either National or Memphis Shades.
I need to do a fork spring replacement, and would like to install a drop in kit like this one: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/dropin/index.html
Are there any tips and tricks to this, or is it really that easy?

Changing springs and fork oil is very easy once someone shows you how to do it. Not having someone there you will be lucky if you don't punch yourself in the face with the top nut when you decide to unscrew it, there is also a trick to getting the forks aart and when to slip an allen into the bottom of the fork to unscrew it and when not to.

All in all find smeone who does Harley forks and ask him to show you how to do it, it's a 20 minute job for someone who knows his poo poo. It's 4 hours of head smashing misery without it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I have learned a few things about my HD Sporty since i bought it. I came from riding a Honda Shadow.

1) HDs do not just start up and go. This is aggravating, but I should have known.

2) This Sporty does not have a kickstand sensor. It will try to haul rear end away from you if you arent in nuetral and try to start it.

This is it so far. God I love this thing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Yay for a sporty without a peanut tank!

Good lookin bike.

Peanuts are the best looking tank possibe :colbert:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mikemo Tyson posted:

I agree, they're great to look at on the side of the road while awaiting a refueling. :smug:

(The only Harley I've ever owned was a Sporster 48, I'm still salty about having to constantly fill that peanut tank up!)

Just swap it out for a king peanut. same look, more gas.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Alright CAHOG, time to find out what to do. My old Honda is going up for sale. When it does sell do I do the smart thing and pay off a credit card or my Sportster; or do I do the fun thing and drop a bunch of the money on a kickstart modification, new frame, springer front end and all the powder coating ever?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You cant make a hardtail handle any worse, so its not like its a downgrade

See, Jim knows.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pubic Lair posted:

That was my feeling but Googling gave me numbers all over the place for a rebuild. The only other drawback is its a 4 speed but if I were to get it I think it would be and around town bike anyways.

Now I have to get the Guy to sell.

If you dont want it depending on where you are I will go buy the drat thing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pubic Lair posted:

The deal is that he was offering it to some guy at the bar for 1500. I replied if he was serious I'd give him $1500 cash but I think he was thinking it would be a harder sell and once I showed interest he started saying he wanted $3500.

I left it at I've got $1500 cash if he decides to sell it for that but if I push on it he just thinks it's worth more so I'm going to have to wait this one out.

Also apparently it has a big bore kit and some other poo poo upgraded on the motor so unless I can go back to stock the parts may be a bit more expensive and harder to find used.

I'm sure if it ever actually gets sold I'll give it a shot but there are way too many questions for me to pay more than 1500.

Haha. I hate that

:downs:"Man I would sell this for 1500 bucks."
:haw:"I got 1500, when do you want me to pick it up?"
:downs:"Oh well.. I really cant take less than 3500."
:reject:"Then why the gently caress did you say you would sell it for 1500?"

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Kaliber posted:

My dumb rear end told my co worker I would prospect for his stupid wanna be MC when I was poo poo faced drunk. Now they want me to wear stupid leather vest and do mandatory rides and go to church and do car washes and how I owe them $100 in dues.

What the gently caress is this poo poo guys?? And why did every single person in that stupid club blow up my phone when they saw me in the dealership looking to trade my harley for a Street triple or XR1200 telling me I can't buy non american. No wonder my other co worker stop riding with those idiot wanna be 1%ers.

This is really funny. But seriously tell your friend to gently caress off and get his idiot "gang members" off your back and to stop calling you.

Braincloud posted:

I installed a set of V&H Short Shots on my Crossbones last night and they make me giggle like an idiot. I love the sound - it's so much throatier than the SE slipons that came with the bike.

edit: now with a picture!

Wait... does that softtail have a springer seat? And the factory does that? Jesus Christ Harley.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

clutchpuck posted:

It also has a factory springer fork. Wrap your mind around that.

The springer front end doesnt bother me at all. But... you have a soft tail bike. Adding a spring seat just... doesnt make any sense. The spring seats on a rigid frame are basically acting as the shock for you while you ride. You already have that on a bike with rear suspension. Why add the spring seat? To bounce twice when you hit a bump?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Valt posted:

But it looks like a bobber! There are at least 3 guys that hang out at my work that ride newer sportsters with spring seats on them. Honestly I hated the one that I had on my 750 (which was actually a rigid frame) because all it ever did was bounce me out of the seat.

Im putting an airspring seat on my sportster, which is getting a rigid frame. I like the air springs because you can inflate them to however much bounce you want. I like a soft ride with minimal bounce. Of course we make our air spring systems from parts we have been working on over the years and its based off Paul Cox's system. But its awesome.

I would never put one on a bike with rear suspension. If you want a bobber, chop yourself a god damned bobber. Oh well Im going off on a bike the dude wanted to show off his exhaust.

I like your exhaust dude!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Braincloud posted:

Also, I would never buy a loving Sportster, so, y'know, different strokes...

You are absolutely right. I prefer to have the most rock solid engine HD has ever built on my bike. And I wanted to spend less than 4k on my bike. Best of both worlds for me.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Halo_4am posted:

If you guys are going to start dick waving on tech I think you bought the wrong bike.

I think the pipes and the springer seat do wonders for the look of the bike. It's a very nice even distribution of black and chrome/metal accents around a gorgeous blue paint job. It would certainly turn my head every time it drove by.

I really did like his pipes. And I also dig the blue paint.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Braincloud posted:

But my E-PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!

But yeah, that side with the pipes has a nice balance. The other side of the bike has a brushed aluminum primary cover which sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm currently looking for a black replacement which should set the chrome/black balance into a nice range. Of course, most of them on ebay have "minor scratches" which equate to the bottom half of the derby cover flair being ground away.

You can get it powder coated for a few hundred bucks. The dealership will take it off for you and let you take it while you have the primary maintenance done.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

dimmlight posted:

I am looking to buy my first Harley, and found an 03 Wide Glide, low miles (6500 or so) in good shape for around $7000. Checked around and seems like a good price, and I love the bike. A good friend of mine has the same bike and loves it, I was looking at sportsters, but I am tall and they are just not very comfortable for me, the wide glide seemed like a nice step up, plus I am hoping it will be better for some longer rides. Any thoughts?

Here is the bike in question:

Looks good to me, are those factory forward controls or OEM? Just asking because factory ones are great, OEM not so much.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scrapez posted:

Are you trying to say factory or aftermarket? Factory and OEM would be the same thing as far as I know.

Bike looks pretty nice to me but I've not priced them so can't speak to that.

Normally you would be right. But for some reason on certain bikes (especially Sportsters) forward controls from the factory are simple beautiful little things. If you buy them from HD as a kit its a mess of jangles and bullshit that never looks quite right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pubic Lair posted:

I've ridden for years and lift weights a few times a week but my 1200 is still a bitch to move when it's turned off.

Thats the truth. I didnt realize how heavy this bitch was until I had to move it into my backyard while it was off. Jesus. Makes me miss my honda.

• Locked thread