Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HD Script. It looks really classy on an old-style bike like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CombatMedic posted:

Does anyone have a theory why the V-rod line isn't more popular?

CombatMedic posted:

it has a much more modern engine, lots more HP and torque, not styled like Grandpa's bike

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I spent an entire weekend on a Vrod a few years ago, and I remember exactly two things about it:

1) My tailbone still hurts, and now I hate forward controls, lovingly referred to as "the flying taco"

2) The engine is weird. The instant things start to get interesting, you've hit the rev limiter. I've never spent as much time on the rev limiter as I did on that bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Marv Hushman posted:

There is something to be said for not screwing around a great deal with an iconic brand. Anyone remember New Coke? Didn't think so.

This is true, but once the boomers go, so will their profits. There are people from younger generations that are into Harleys, for sure. But no generation has loved them more than the boomers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Armyman25 posted:

The Indian Motorcycle Company that built my bike, based out of Gilroy, California, isn't. The new new Indian Motorcycle Company has been purchased by Polaris and is now making bikes in Iowa.

They are a boutique bike that runs from $24K on up. They are pretty nice, but very "exclusive" and I don't know how they are going to stay in business at those prices in this economy.

If they can make it, it will be impressive.

It boggles my mind that they could sell Harley clones at more than the cost of the bikes they're cloning.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No, its talking about the fact that 10 out of 9 Harley riders think the back brake is the way to go, and that the front brake is the layer down handle. In fact its not even a Harley thing exclusively, there are a ton of riders out there that think that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Since it's Polaris, which has been doing alright with Victory, I can see this incarnation of Victory doing just fine.

That said, according to the website, the '12 Chief Classic (the cheapest model) is $26k, and the cheapest Road King (clearly its big competitor) are $18k. Yikes. That's a lot of money for long fenders.

I know, right? I dont understand how they can do it, but apparently they're making money at something that should by all reasonable accounts have failed long ago.

More power to them I guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh, is that a full-size bike? The scale and proportions make it look like a pit bike

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Scrapez posted:

Yes. The ad says you have to be at least 6'4" to ride it. :suicide:

Edit: Requirements to ride:- 6' 4' tall or at least 15 stone!!! there is 15" Ground clearence under the sump.

Ugh, my bet is it rides and handles like crap, so jacked up like that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

0-60-0 in 35 minutes and 12 miles

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Blooot posted:

Good with an aluminum rotor being your only active brake?

http://www.wilwood.com/Rotors/RotorList1.aspx?mktname=Aluminum%20Sprint%20/%20Midget%20Rotor-42T

"Unsafe for street use & unsuitable for most forms of Racing."

Haha you think a chopper/bobber/whatever owner would rather brake safely and live rather than fit an image.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CombatMedic posted:

Since I'm apparently the forums standard-bearer for the V-rod, the 2012 Night Rod Special is way more comfortable than the previous model years. I'm 6' and it fits me perfect. Upright seating and no more "clamshell" position.

However, there's no way you'll get a '12 as a rental.

My #1 complaint about the vrod was the taco seating position. It instantly made my tailbone fall asleep. I should try a night rod sometime

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Scrapez posted:

I have Buell XB heads on my bike. Does this mean I'm no longer allowed in the thread? :qq:

Its not buell hate, its specifically Blast hate.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It is the bic pen of the motorcycle world.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Choom Gangster posted:

I used a Buell Lightning motor for the my chop, and really, as asinine as it may sound, I think it's one of the best fits for that setup. In their natural setting Lightnings have all of the issues mentioned, and subsequent drawbacks. However, in a chop, it's ideal. Powerful, tidy, and reliable (for an HD) is everything I could ask for in a donor motor.

So basically, if you are going to be dumb like me and ride a chopper, be smart and use a Buell motor.

Buells were that insane combo of good stuff that came together to be less than the sum of its parts..

Their frames were great, and Buells always ranked at the top of the list of good handling bikes. Their suspension was nice, the motors were reliable (no matter what people think of Harley itself), the brakes were meh but not terrible.

Somehow that all added up to a bike that wasnt as nice as its parts suggest.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Windshields are dead to me, its much better without one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If Harley is found to be at fault (which I can't imagine they will be), then every single bike and car on the road today should be recalled and fitted with gauges that accurately represent their trim level and option packages.

That's how dumb his lawsuit is.

I understand he's looking for someone/thing to blame, which is natural, but his poor wife won't magically be healed by claiming that the bike should have had abs, and completely relying on a gauge cutout, rather than understanding the bike you've owned for over a year, and paid many thousands of dollars for.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can look at it from the flip side as well. If you think your bike has ABS, and the light doesn't come on when it does it's quick diagnostics and gauge sweep when you turn it on, you should take it to the dealer to find out what's wrong with your ABS.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Olde Weird Tip posted:

You can look at it from the flip side as well. If you think your bike has ABS, and the light doesn't come on when it does it's quick diagnostics and gauge sweep when you turn it on, you should take it to the dealer to find out what's wrong with your ABS.

I still think my point stands, and also addresses what you're talking about.

I know that my car has ABS. I also know that if I dont see the light come on for a second when I initially turn the car on, that there is something up.

If the guy honestly thought he had ABS to the point that he was seeking out blanks in his speedo face, then he should have been worried that it never turned on, like it undoubtedly does in his car.

Then he should have taken it to the dealer, and they could have told him that his ABS doesnt work because it doesnt exist. At that point its up to him to either accept that, or buy a different bike with the safety features he wants.

There is a certain amount of responsibility that comes with driving any vehicle, and its on you to know what your vehicle can or cannot do.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

Huh, I wonder if this means my lovely ol' Ranger has ABS. The light comes on when I start it and then turns itself off immediately. Am I an idiot for assuming my truck DOESN'T have ABS when it may possibly actually come equipped?

I would think if your truck has both a cutout for ABS and a light that does actually turn on, then I would think it does have it. Before you go barreling through uncontrolled intersections in the rain or snow with your wife who's not wearing a seatbelt, maybe take it to the dealer to make sure first.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Drumstick posted:

Thanks, Im trying to narrow my selection down between the sportster, Vstar and shadow spirit as a first bike. Didnt mean to cause too much of a ruckus just looking for opinion/thoughts.

Those are all very heavy bikes.

The 883 is probably a great starter engine, but the bike itself wont be great for a learner, as it will be tougher to maneuver at low speeds and harder to pick up if (when) you drop it.

I'm not saying you have to get the CA hivemind masterpiece that is the ninja 250, but be aware that the 883 is a pretty substantial piece of metal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Scrapez posted:

Anyone need a brand new 1984 XR1000?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/220942214431#ht_500wt_1182

Pretty neat but wonder what the reserve is? I think used ones go for around 15k...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would absolutely ROCK THE poo poo out of a tracker or scrambler converted sporty.

:swoon:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

IcedPee posted:

I just picked up this '78 Sportster over the weekend. I don't care if it's a girl bike, I love it :swoon:

Nice bike, but two questions:

1) is there no rear brake rotor?
2) are there no rear wheel adjusters on the swingarm?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

It's not a watch, it's a bracelet... My mother in law got me a Harley shirt yesterday. You know because I ride motorcycles. I got lucky though it one of those super sexy night rods and I can live with that.

The curse of the motorcycle enthusiast. I have some relatives who get me something HD every Christmas because they know I'm into bikes, and cant fathom that anyone could ever be into anything except HD.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How did anyone at Bulova greenlight these?
poo poo is embarassing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've said for years that they're an extremely successful marketing firm with a motorcycle arm

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, "Solidify your place in the legacy that will be left during the 6 month period that Indian is open for business this time before someone else buys us and tries again to reanimate our corpse" is probably too long for an ad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Oh my god this is brilliant.

Harley-Davidson(tm): A Marketing Company (That Also Sells Motorcycles)

Called it back on March 6th

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I've said for years that they're an extremely successful marketing firm with a motorcycle arm

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

IcedPee posted:

I'm a dude, though. If I ride a girl-bike and have long hair, is that still ok?

I have the weirdest boner right now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh, are they not reviewing what goes up on that banner from Twitter?

:stonk:

Quick, someone post some horrible stuff followed with a #StereotypicalHarley hashtag

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 17, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh, they definitely arent.

TWITTERHAVERS, STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT!!!

EDIT: I would also bet you could get hilarious instagram pics on there with the same hashtag

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 17, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Apologies to any Nascar fans in the room

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is what happens when marketing doesnt talk to IT, or really anyone from any department with any sense.

I can see the pitch now "We filter Twitter hashtags into the site, and Twitter writes the copy for us!!!"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a CA Twitter circle-jerk? If not, there should be

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shockingly, this is not me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It was this threads destiny to devolve into harley loling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The XR1200R is seriously the sexiest bike the motor company makes. That thing looks amazing.

Plus, factory applied rim-tape? I'm onboard (not joking)

• Locked thread