Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Welcome to the Cycle Asylum Harley-Davidson (R) Owner's Group (TM) - henceforth refereed to as C.A.H.O.G.(R).

First, please pay your respects to our founder, the late Layer Dan

:911:

Second, here are the basic rules:

1. It's ok to ride a Sportster 883. Its ok, we're all friends here. Get a man's bike, girlfriend

2. Chromosexuality - we have a Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy regarding that. Don't tell nobody you are one and don't ask nobody if they are one and we won't have no problems, ya hear.

3. Posts must be arranged by weight. Skinny posters up front, fat posters go at the end, the fattest posters have to ride Harley-Davidson(R) CVO(TM) Trikes. This will keep help everyone have a great C.A.H.O.G.(R) posting experience.

And would someone PLEASE explain the alphabet soup (that my XR apparently doesn't belong to).

C.A.H.O.G.(R) MEMBER AND RIDE LIST
redscare - XR1200
DILLIGAF - A mutant that was once a Sportster 883

At this point, I'm out of bad jokes so here's a picture of said XR.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redscare fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

I might have to ride down my SV650 down to show you drat Harley owners what real power is like. :colbert:

More like "ride your SV down to try out my super-awesome Harley"

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Phy posted:

Dang. I was planning on going to an HD demo day today, but totally blew it off because, uh... I forgot. Finally remembered halfway down the road to my favorite car wash, and by then it was pretty much over.

Ah well, it's not like they've got a hell of a lot of model creep, do they? This year, cruisers! (and one standard.) Next year... cruisers! (and one standard.)

E: So what's the difference between the model lines again. this about accurate?

Sportster: It has been made since forever, has a smaller motor, two shocks in the back and is a girl's bike because it is smaller and handles better.
Dyna: It has two shocks in the back and a bigger motor.
Softail: It has one shock in the back, hidden so it looks like it could destroy your kidneys, and a bigger motor.
Touring: It has bags and one of two ugly fairings, but is otherwise a dyna or softail.
Whatever-Rod: It has a motor developed by Porsche for Erik Buell that we then stole and bastardized until he couldn't use it. Also it looks like something Cloud Strife would ride.

You forgot the part about the V-Rod being awesome

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

The XR1200X isn't a bad bike for us snotty hipsters, but the performance hit compared to a water-cooled naked and the added cost of all those H-D labels makes it uncompetitive on the merits. Buells may not have been super fast but at least they were cheap.

I traded a much-faster Aprilia twin for mine. People love to wave their dick about performance, but how much do you really need for street riding? There's a certain point, somewhere around that of the SV, where you're nice and solid 99% of the time.

The only real downside to the bike is that it's kinda heavy and has a small tank. Also, there isn't a whole lot out there in the naked standard segment. You have a bunch of Italians - the Guzzi Griso, the Ape Tuono, Duc Monster 1100 - and the Kwak K1000 if you want to be boring about it.

But hey, it could be just me trying to justify my purchase.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Yes, its obviously a bike for people that care more about looks than performance rather than people that want neat sportbike bits without the uncomfortable riding position. I'll give you that. As for the Ducati, the main reason I didn't go there is because gently caress me if I'm paying Ferrari prices for spare parts.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Bike needs more tassels! Seriously, though, that's nice.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

*deep sigh*

If you're a Harley rider, it is a little-known fact. A good many of them find out the fun way. Sad, really.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

You should see some of the mutations that have shown up on ADVrider.

This guy (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681994) was already a legend before this year and then he came out with this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Retarded Pimp posted:

Doug's the man, anyone that can ride around the world on a 62 hardtail chopper is ok in my book.

I read that entire hardtail report in :aaa: mode because I can't imagine spending 5 minutes on a hardtail, never mind going around the world.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I just ordered some grip heaters for my XR. Should make for a fun project next Saturday.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

I have to install frame sliders, wanna make an install day out of it?

Sure, shoot me a pm

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

GanjamonII posted:

Im going to be renting a hardley in Miami (Friend who rides visiting for my wedding wants the full 'American experience' or something).

If you could ride any harley for 1-2 days, which would you ride?

At the moment leaning towards a v-rod since at least its not super slow..

Odds are their selection will be limited and you'll end up on a Fat Boy (especially since its Florida), but if you actually get a choice, Snowdens Secret covered it pretty good. A Sportster will do you well, highly doubt they'll be renting XR1200s. I doubt one even exists in Florida period. V-Rods aren't uncomfortable per se, but only if you're tall. If you're below 6', you'll be stretched out. I'd totally rock one, but I'm 6'4".

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

TheKeeper posted:

There's also the ego inflating bonus of having every gas station attendant who's assisted me when filling the bike saying it was one of, if not the, coolest bikes they'd ever seen (a sentiment shared by most of my friends). It's also surprising how very few people even know this bike exists, let alone that it is, of all things, a Harley. The bike definitely turns heads.

I've gotten the same thing from just about everyone that's seen it with the XR, minus the gas station attendant bit since we don't have those.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I'm judging you because its in the kitchen, not the living room

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Phy posted:

Ok, let's assume that I'm doing long range planning about a passenger who... REALLY enjoys the harley idle. My normal biek's a Weestrom, where would I look for something with a. passenger comfort, b. rider comfort, c. ye harley idle?

Your local Harley-Davidson Motor Company Dealer (R) of course.

Given that your normal ride is a Wee, however, anything more substantial than a Sportster 883 is likely to be entirely too manly for you (the correct answer is an XR1200)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
That is so stupid. Manufacturers, bike and automotive alike, have one generic gauge cluster backing that has elements for all the various lights that would be used on that model, even if it doesn't have that. It saves costs and has been that way for ages. I feel bad for the wife, but if she'd worn a helmet, she wouldn't have brain damage.

Edit: This happened in California, so she had to have been wearing something resembling a helmet. Probably one of those Prussian-style replica deals, knowing the sort of people that ride big harleys on the 99.

redscare fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 16, 2011

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Oh for fucks sake. A Sportster 883 is perfectly suitable for a first bike. XL1200s might be a bit much (and certainly don't start on an XR), but an 883 is fine.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

High Protein posted:

True, the one I rode was a 'sportier' one, with mid controls as well, aforementioned dual discs, and a relatively large tank, though I believe the Custom ones of the time had an even larger one. Doesn't look nearly as cool as a 48, but at least it's actually ridable. It had aftermarket shocks as well, the standard ones tended to bottom out riding two-up, don't know if they still have that issue.

You probably rode an XL1200 Sport, since most XL1200s only have single discs. Mid/Front controls, at least on the new ones, are easy to convert back and forth by design, so I don't think that's particular to any model.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

NoDoorway posted:

Test road a sportster 1200 (custom I think) and a bonneville the other day for giggles.

I still love bonnies. The Harley just seemed lethargic and slow. Handled ok for what it is but yeah, I was surprised at how gutless it was. Also it seemed to lug really easily. I was expecting tonnes of torque and was really disappointed.

Then got back at the Street Triple and was reminded of why I love it so.

Next time try an XR1200

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Scrapez posted:

Completely agree with you. Working on the bike is second only to riding it in enjoyment for me. Learning how things work, how to make them better, etc is part of the fun for me.

Sadly, I think we're the minority.

Per their H-Ds own stats, the average Harley owner puts 1200-1600 miles a year on his/her bike, depending on the model. Yeah, we're in the minority alright.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

thylacine posted:

I noticed the other day that there were five different "bagger" magazines and two "custom" Harley magazine out of about nine magazine total at the fancy demi-suburban grocery store.

Do these magazine stay in business? Can you make money writing for them?

Some do, some don't. As for making money...lol no. You can make a few bucks freelancing but budgets for mags like that are shoestring at best. The full time dedicated staff is typically two people with a few others being shared with similar publications. At least that's how we do it (I forget the names of all the ones we own. I know Baggers is one of them.)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

Looks like the Buffalo Chip is nailing down mainstage performers for the Black Hills Rally right about now, I have "more than a feeling" that Boston is playing on the 7th.

So which of you goons are planning on making the trek this summer? I don't want to hear any "I don't like country music" or "I am too much of a sperg to leave my house", or "lol Hardleys aren't they uncomfortable"; those are little boys'/little girls' excuses. Ride your poo poo to Sturgis and gawk at middle-aged titties like a proper adult.

I'll be rolling in on the 6th mid-afternoon and getting out on the morning of the 8th. Plan is to see Mt. Rushmore, drink beers at One Eyed Jack's, hang out at the Full Throttle Saloon, and see Boston at the 'Chip.

More like :gonk: at middle aged titties.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Olde Weird Tip posted:

How did anyone at Bulova greenlight these?

Something about a suitcase filled with green rectangular pieces of paper with Ben Franklin's head on them comes to mind.

That said, those are awful.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

I did some recon!

H-D. An apparel/accessory maker that puts together bikes on the side.

:sigh:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

Matures give, on average, $1066 per year to 6.3 charities
Boomers give $901 per year to 5.2 charities
Gen X gives $796 on average to 4.2 charities
Gen Y gives $341 to 3.6 charities.

That's a pretty steep dropoff there, Gen Y.

Also - I'm asking because I don't really know - do sportbikes even lend themselves to such mass formations outside of a track? I can only picture being incredibly annoyed and claustrophobic being cheek by jowl on bikes built for speed.

http://nonprofit.about.com/od/fundraising/a/generationalgivingstudy.htm

Gen Y don't got any jobs.

And as for this "they're all cruisers bullshit," holy christ. Also, sportbike riders GROUP RIDE BRAH to the twisties to do some wheelies crash, cruiser riders go from random point A to random point B just for the hell of it. One of these lends itself much better to charity rides.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Kaliber posted:

I am very much considering trading in my street bob for the 2012 XR1200X. Should I do it?

Yes. Yes you should. The XR owns.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Spiffness posted:

James Toseland buys a Harley...

poo poo, this means that there is at least one Harley rider on the road I can't make fun of. I have to be more discerning now :(

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/james-toseland-gets-a-harley-shocker/20457.html

I'd love to see him rail on that thing

The man's got himself a purdy Softail.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Gotta love it when marketing departments don't "get" social media

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
What has this thread turned into :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Well, that is the beauty of modern motorcycle construction...the aircooled bikes can break 100hp with enough displacement, while still being reliable. And frankly, as someone once said: No honest rider needs more than a Ninja 250. :v:

Whoever said that is completely loving wrong

• Locked thread