Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Marv Hushman posted:

I'll keep the plaintiff's logic in mind the next time I'm pulled over on a bike with a speedo capped at 85 and I'm told I was doing 93...

What if you were going downhill?? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm a new rider, bought my first bike (Suzuki GS500) in October. I'm in Las Vegas, rented a Nightster 1200 a few hours ago. First time sitting on a Harley. I'm all smiles :keke:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Where is here?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I could see riding a Harley for a charity ride. Something big loud and shiny that draws attention sounds good for one.

I think there's more to it* than "I'm not participating in the charity ride because my bike doesn't draw enough attention".

*it being the question "why are cruisers the only bikes in the picture above?"

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

God drat that looks awesome.

Isn't that the one HD just discontinued?

FOOLS...

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Judge you for owning one of the coolest bikes Harley makes made? Surely not.

Right?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Used Sunlight sales posted:

What host is acceptable to use for pics these days?

http://imgur.com/

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Anyone taking bets on their only prototype being immediately crashed at the first demo location?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Snowdens Secret posted:

you're better off going metric than going older.

What do you mean by this?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Never thought I'd say this but I'm considering a 2008 XL883 with 15,000 miles (24,000 km). The guy is asking for $7,000 (CAD) but also mentions "OBO" and "want it gone" and "price not firm" :v:

The tires are original "HARLEY J. DAVIDSON" 2009 rubber, so that'd be the first thing to go.

Anything to watch out for with that particular year/model? I think it's just after the switch to EFI.

epswing fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 26, 2014

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Nitrox posted:

883 was $7300 brand new. How is asking msrp for a 7 year old bike is even remotely OK?

Sorry, $7k Canadian Funnydollars. A new XL883L "starts at" $10,189 CAD

Oooh Canada.. :smith:

epswing fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 26, 2014

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I might be a member of CAHOG sooner than expected.

Can I get your thoughts on this Softail Classic? http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/ottawa/heritage-classic-needs-new-home/1177255686

Owner says it has a Vance and Hines exhaust, and custom paint job.

Any Harley-specific questions I should be asking?
Is the asking price reasonable/high/low?

Edit: Every year for the past 4 or 5 years, while on business in Los Angeles and/or Las Vegas, I rent a Sportster/RoadKing/Softail for some local touring (love the PCH). Between those models I find the Softail Classic to be the most comfortable while still being manageable in traffic and at low speeds (the Road King feels like has too much weight too high up).

epswing fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 28, 2016

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

clutchpuck posted:

Based on my local market, I'd try to stay under $10k for a 88 or 96. I have no idea what they were putting in Softails in 09 though.

"I live on gravel road And do not have the right winter storage for it" equals it's got scratches and rust. Check the belt for gravel damage. Look for cigarette burns. The only bike I've ever seen with cigarette burns on the saddle was a Softail and since then I look for it and holy crap, lots of them have them.

I've never owed a belt-drive bike before, what does belt gravel damage look like?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Also saw a used Heritage Softail Classic in the showroom of my local HD dealership :ohdear:. It's a 2012, looked clean with no dents/scratches, with only 6,631 km (4,120 mi) on it, so it's just a baby and hasn't been ridden much. They're asking 16,900 CAD (that's 13,008 USD) for it.

Is this an insane price?

I'm trying to get a handle on the Harley Davidson (tm) markup factor.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Motorcycles in Canada cost so drat much :( and don't get me started on Canadian motorcycle insurance costs :3:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Outside Dawg posted:

Are you looking for a Heritage specifically or ?

Looking for something on the cheaper side, comfortable, with bags, windshield, and good for 2up. The Heritage checks those boxes, and I've rented it a number of times, sometimes spending 6-8 hours on the bike so I know it fits my dimensions. The "classic" look isn't my absolute favorite but I'm fine with it.

If there are others I should be paying attention to, I'd love to know.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Yeah don't forget, that's a dealer's asking price. They're less likely to be firm than a private seller. Try to haggle.

Yep, I'm going to sit down with the sales guy on Saturday morning to talk numbers. Any good do's/dont's? Owned 6 bikes in the last 6 years, all through private sales, never from a dealership.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Outside Dawg posted:

Depends on what kind of riding you are looking to do, but a Wide Glide might work for you and they can frequently be found below the 8-10k range on the used market.

Never ridden one of these, I like the look, but the Wide Glide doesn't look comfy for the passenger. Also it doesn't come with bags or a windshield. Those are my criteria (comfy, good for 2up, bags, windshield).

clutchpuck posted:

Road King. I like the late evo road kings a lot.

I've rented a couple of Road Kings. I really like them on the highway, but with the added weight of a passenger in slower traffic, I didn't appreciate the higher center of gravity. I'm not a big guy, and this bike ended up being a little too heavy for me (66 lbs heavier than the HSC).

Edit: Anyone have feelings for the Switchback? Seems to check all my boxes, has a modern look, and has the same engine as the Softail Classic and Road King.

epswing fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 1, 2016

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
If a Heritage Softail Classic or Road King-esque touring Harley is supposedly well maintained, should such a bike with ~50,000 miles on it draw concern? ~100,000 miles? How long are these touring bikes supposed to last, if they're taken care of?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

captainOrbital posted:

But also, self-cancelling turn signals!

60% of the time, they work every time!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Regarding the Heritage Softail Classic, is there a year before which (or after which) there are attributes/engines sizes/mounts/features to be avoided (or sought after)?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

adary posted:

Heritage Softail is awesome in any year between 1994 and 2016

in theory 2006-2007 are claimed to have issues with transmission but that's just second hand bullshit I heard. I would go for a 103 engine in any case just because 'Harley'

What happened in 1994? Other than HD trying to trademark the "Harley Sound" :airquote:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Can any Heritage Softail Classic (or equivalent) owners check which hex tool size I'd need to remove the heel shifter? I'll be riding a HSC soon and I want to have the right tool on me in advance. I've done it before, but can't even remember if it's metric or imperial.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Bit the bullet and bought a 2011 Heritage Softail Classic!

I'm in the "take stuff off" phase. After removing the TomTom GPS, highway "pegs", speakers, next is the passenger backrest.

Question: to get the passenger backrest off, do I need to take off the entire back fender?? Doesn't look like I can fit a tool into the bottom bolt, because the fender is too close..

Edit: that top bolt looks like it's been mangled a bit already.

And is this what I should be using?

epswing fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 23, 2017

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Scrapez posted:

Yes. It's torx and they strip easily. Go slowly and apply some pb blaster and let soak before you try.

Will research what pb blaster is.

What do I do if I strip it?

I feel like I'm going to strip it.

epswing fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 24, 2017

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

:nms:

Braincloud posted:

Does that not have the quick-release tabs behind those soft bags?

Elaborate please.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Some thoughts after purchasing and riding a 2011 Heritage Softail Classic for a month:

• This bike is SO comfortable compared to my previous half-dozen bikes, which were a variety of cruisers, standards, and sumos.
  • "The wave" has become inconsistent, non-harley riders wave less often now. :(
  • Sometimes, even if I don't have right-of-way, drivers wave me through, which is confusing and mildly dangerous.
  • The turn signals on harley cycles are a goddamn dumpster fire, who the gently caress gave engineering the green light for this steaming pile of wet poo poo? gently caress.

To elaborate on the turn signals...

• Did I press it? Pretty sure I did, but the button feedback is too soft to be definitive through a glove. There's no "click", just a soft bump.
  • Glance at dash. Nope, didn't press it.
  • Wait maybe that glance was the instant where the signal was off?
  • Take eyes off road and stare at dash for a full second. Ok I did press it.
  • Take the turn
  • Did they auto-cancel? Glance at dash. Yep, auto-cancel works.
  • Take eyes off road and stare at dash for a full second. Nope, still flashing.
  • Decide whether to wait longer, or manually cancel.
  • Decide to cancel manually.
  • Did I press it? Pretty sure I did, but the button feedback is too soft to be definitive through a glove. There's no "click", just a soft bump.
  • Glance at dash. Yep, pressed it.
  • Take eyes off road and stare at dash for a full second. Signal is still flashing.
  • Either I didn't press it and it didn't auto-cancel (yet!?), or it did auto-cancel and I did press it, starting a fresh signal? I'll never know.

As a software engineer who thinks about user interfaces all day every day, this system is an unbelievable piece of poo poo.

But other than that, I actually do love the bike :)

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

Auto-cancelling motorcycle turn signals are a stupid idea in concept anyway.

Indeed.

<rant>Anyway, traditional turn signal controls (all bikes except Harleys?) are what software engineers call "idempotent". Basically this means no matter how many times you execute a particular action, the result remains the same. For example, no matter how many times you push the control left, 1 time or 20 times, you get a left flashing signal. No matter how many times your OCD makes you push the control inwards, it cancels the signal. This makes for more obvious controls, whether it be on a motorcycle handlebar, in an airplane cockpit, a webpage, or a mobile app.</rant>

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Had to take a couple weeks off riding because I messed up my ankle. Riding my Heritage with fresh eyes , I noticed how much the handlebars are out of alignment. Is this just a question of loosening a few bolts, wiggle wiggle, re-tighten?

Edit: would this correlate to the bike gently wobbling at 70+ mph? I'm starting to notice that I need to hold 'er steady, but it wants to wobble. It's subtle, but it's there. Anything I can do/check, or should I just take it to the shop.

epswing fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 27, 2017

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Scrapez posted:

"head shake" which is pretty common on the touring bikes

Shouldn't "touring motorcycles" be 10000% solid at highway speeds? Am I crazy to think it's crazy that this is a common thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Harley-Davidson Releases New Motorcycle Designed For Men

• Locked thread