Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I'm tentatively excited about the Street 500. I've wanted a Sportster for a long time, but chose other things over it (being a ski bum for a while, for instance). I like the idea of an even slimmer, more city-friendly, more modern Harley. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be the next Buell Blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Yeah, I'm still mulling over my options. I have several months until I'll have the money saved up anyway. Ultimately I'll probably just test-ride one after I do my MSF and feel it out from there. Before I found out about the Street, I was looking for an Ironhead, since a running one in good shape is still only about three grand and the insurance, even with comprehensive, is about nil. I may still go with that.

They're really going out on a huge limb with this new design... liquid cooled, 60 degree bend, under 500lb (okay, barely), actually putting some effort into making it handle well (they say). Part of me just wants to buy it on principle, to thank them for stepping out of their Boomer-Filled Safe Zone.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

It's not just price, but that's good to know. I'm still a ways off, so I'm sure I'll be doing more research between now and the summer, but if there's known problem areas to keep an eye out for, I'd appreciate any input. I'm assuming taking a careful look for rust, chain wear, and obviously making sure it starts/runs. I'm not looking for a project, but I'm fine with some scrapes and wear.

I grew up riding ratty dirt bikes from the late 60s and 70s, (e: just realized this makes me sound older than I am; I'm 27) so the same (ee: probably broken) part of me that wants a cruiser also gets really excited at the idea of doubling down to get one with rigid mounts, chain drive, and kickstart.

That said, those ratty dirt bikes were also all metric, Honda XL175s and Hodakas and poo poo, so I may not have a great perspective on how much headache I'll be in for with a 30-40 year old Ironhead.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 12, 2014

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

High Protein posted:

Ironhead known problems: the engine is poo poo and breaks all the time every time.

Ha! Okay. I'll take that into consideration. Maybe an Evo-generation one would be a better idea.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Cool project! Seconding the request for updates.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Outside Dawg posted:

Looks like this thread could use a bump.
First Harley, a 1977 Sportster;

Current Scoot, a 2001 Ultra Glide;

As for Ironheads, they are a mechanic's bike, if you don't like wrenching avoid them. The transmission wasn't bad mechanically wise it just didn't have all the gears it really needed, the sporty had a four speed when it really wanted/needed a five speed.

Thanks for the input! I'm probably going to look for an Evo; I don't have a lot of tools and not needing to buy a ton would be helpful.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Boomers aren't buying bikes anymore, and Harley knows it. A production liquid-cooled small-displacement v-twin, and now this.

I hope they don't completely step away from the old-school stuff though.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

anyone who shatters their taillight doing a wheelie is alright in my book

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

epalm posted:

What do you mean by this?

he thinks this is the rest of ca

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

well uh *snerk* uh as you can uh clearly see from the data, researth indicath that the methric systhem ith clearly the uh *pushes glasses up* the thuperior opthion when purthathing a motorithed cycle

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Good to know it doesn't look cobbled-together or cheap in person. I'm kinda hoping the low power numbers are designed as a detuned setup so you can get a little more out if it without having to swap out major stuff besides exhaust.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

:whatup:

That's quite the sled. Are you in love with it as-is or do you have some plans for it?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I think my first impulse would be to see what it looks like without the bags and windshield, but I've always liked the look of stripped Road Kings.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

The pic with all the sheet metal stripped off is gorgeous in its own weird way. What a hulk of a bike.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

What is the black on stuff like that? Obviously it's not paint or anodizing... is it powdercoating?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you might just have a harder rear end than most, egm. your budding hardtail chopper suggests that, lol

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

at this point, "iron" and "883" are synonymous, aren't they? I think it's the only model left that offers the smaller evo.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 30, 2015

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Verge posted:

My bike is an XG750

Care to share a bit on how you're liking it?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Wow, that's a whole lotta words. Thanks! I'm a ways off from any motorcycle so it's all just virtual tire-kicking for me at this point, but that's all good to know. You confirmed most of what I expected about the Street.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

what sort of motorcycles make people mad about hipsters, i want one of those

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

One of my favorite parts about Sonny Barger's memoir was when he lamented the apparently permanent link between american outlaw motorcycle clubs and Harleys. He makes it clear that he's loved every Harley he's ever ridden, but goes on to talk about how, especially early on, when they were chopping and rebuilding they weren't just trying to make cool poo poo, they wanted to go fast. They rode Harleys because after Indian folded the only large-displacement bikes on the market were Harley, BSA, and Triumph, and most guys wanted to buy American.

He talks about how he understands the attachment, but that European and Japanese makes "do 110 out of the box now" and thinks it would have been cool if biker clubs had kept up with technology.

It's a good read for anyone interested in the history of Harley culture, outlaw clubs, or even just the Bay Area in general.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

AncientTV posted:

Probably would have been cheaper to have someone buy you one in the states and then ship it overnight :cripes:

edit: or maybe not I guess it depends what your duty tax is

wouldn't that still be subject to tax?

e: i can't imagine what a nightmare it would be getting a crated motorcycle through customs

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

What a story; thanks for sharing. And congratulations to your pops on coming back from the brink. Alcoholism is a hell of a thing.

Roll that odometer over in tribute.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Z3n posted:

And you won't be able to get sticky tires for it.

I'm curious about this part. Does it just use sizes that are uncommon for sportbikes?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

here's a cool harley. you know, for the harley thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI22WyHv-oM&t=60s

I've never seen a build quite like this; roland sands fabbed a monoshock rear onto a 2006 sportster and made it into a... standard, I guess? It looks cool as hell and I hope someday RSD offers it as a weld-on.

build blog: http://www.rolandsands.com/blog/375/cafe-racer-tv

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah don't forget, that's a dealer's asking price. They're less likely to be firm than a private seller. Try to haggle.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Read the manual and use what the manual calls for.

Yeah, manufacturers have no stake in gas. They won't tell you to use premium unless you need to. It's not a marketing thing or whatever.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

what's the cheapest way to get onto a harley? stalk craigslist for a late 90s/early 2000s-ish sportster?

i'm tired of life without a motorcycle

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Nerdrock posted:

"This bike sounds like it's powered by loving hand grenades"

Found a nice, clean 2009 Buell 1125r with 7k miles, offered them 5 grand (they were looking for 6. um, no.).

i am extremely jealous

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

its the wrench that fits all sizes

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

There's definitely a cool factor to riding a hugeass highway bike through the city blasting music.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

if you're compromising looks and chopper cred enough to consider a fairing bike or GPS i honestly don't get why you wouldn't get a full helmet

like, if we're talking highway comforts having the wind off your face and ears is p nice, even aside from the safety benefits

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I think there's enough love for Indians of every era that, maybe with an effortpost OP, a Indian thread could probably stand on its own.

Not backseat modding, just some words of encouragement if there's an Indian enthusiast reading this.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

alternately: keep the slammed shocks, buy your boo an MSF course and a Rebel

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

We have digital compasses now that cost like 10 cents in quantity so it seems like it would be pretty trivial to go

if ( (abs(currentHeading - oldHeading) > 45) && (elapsedTime > 10) )
{
disableSignals();
}

how does adding a digital compass to a harley davidson appear the best solution to anything

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

"the solution to this needlessly complicated system sabotaged by cheap parts and poorly-thought-through design: a cheap part and a half-baked idea"

you ARE a software engineer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

does Harley own a patent on the concept of auto-cancelling signals or is every other manufacturer just not dumb enough to think they're a good idea

• Locked thread