Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Halo_4am posted:

If you guys are going to start dick waving on tech I think you bought the wrong bike.

Ask the VFR guys which is better; gear or chain driven cams.

Spoiler alert: gear-driven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The tail rack and backrest will be handy for living with that bike. The wire spoke wheels look nice on it. Those TC88s run pretty warm, stock. If the tax has been paid on the fueling, that'd be a bonus. Sub-$9000 big twin Harleys in my area always look abused and neglected - if that one looks nice, the price seems good to me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A sporty doesn't make a great replacement for a sport tourer but it would be good variety to have both. A friend of mine runs a K1300GT and a nightster I think, enjoys both.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The 1200 isn't much more bike than the 883. The bigger one has more torque but the overall power difference is pretty much negligible.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I wish my derpy ol' car did that. Flowmaster 40s be a harsh mistress...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Approximately 75% of Lucy looks great. Not sure about the cropped-out bits though :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
In my experience, heavier wheels keep steadier.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Cheap, modern Harleys!

http://street.harley-davidson.com/

Did they downsize the Vrod motor?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

Why?

No hostility, just...why? If you like your bike to have an old-fashioned engine, there are millions upon millions of gently used Harleys out there that will suit your needs. What's wrong with making the engines in the new bikes objectively better?

I like the clattery, bumpy, kickstarty, clunky imprecision of my old CL350 too, but I'm sure not losing any sleep that Honda isn't making air-cooled engines with ignition points any more.
e: (for motorcycles, I've got no clue what they put in their generators and such)

For me it's less that I like the era the tech originated from (give me a break on this anyway, OHC otto cycle tech is like 100+ years old, it's a pretty useless conversation) it's more that the unit Evo engine is an absolute sweetheart - easy to run, easy to own, easy to mod. I love it. If they do make it go away, it will be a sad day.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They had one of those diesel KLRs at the AMSOil tent in Sturgis last year. The rep started it up, sounded like it was broken. I thought the FLIR headlamp setup was pretty sweet.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

HD, release the full loss oil system and a carb with a wick for a mainjet!

You joke but a wick is probably comparable to the DDFI-2 i'm running.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Something I've been wondering about; how come, with all the retro models coming out of HD, they've havent released some kind of "retro engined" bike, so to speak? A knucklehead, but with modern technology under the surface, or something like that.

Like the twin cam?

Keith: you want a Buell XB12XT. Trust me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Evos are the greatest engines. Not big power, but they are great to live with and sound wonderful.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd just get the Sporty. The 1200 is a fantastic little engine and the amount of people across the USA who know how to work on them probably rivals the entire population of France. Plus, a clean used one will cost you about half as much as a new Street.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The unit Evo is legendary.

Safety Dance posted:

I think I speak for everyone in the Harley thread when I say "WOOOO! KLR650!"

Split the difference.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 13, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Find stock take-offs and have them coated or painted.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Wrap is cheaper initially but you need to keep it maintained; re-spray some silicone sealant every year or so to maintain the color and shape.

My wife got her pipes ceramic coated and they've been chipped a few times by road debris or whatever, so if you get them coated, anticipate some of that. It also shows dirt like crazy.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
At 490 miles you're pretty much done riding conservatively on it like the manufacturer recommends for the first 500 miles. Give it some engine braking as well as acceleration, and either do the 1000mi service or take it in for it - break-in wear ends up in the oil as metal shavings so you want that first sump of oil out on schedule.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I used to have a Vulcan with mercilessly-abused pipes. PO was a short guy so he lowered the bike and as a result I had to park it to turn right and I'd still make sparks.

A friend of mine lost his Road King's aftermarket air cleaner on a ride, so he replaced it with the same aftermarket air cleaner, which he lost on a subsequent ride. I think he put on a mostly-plastic Arlen Ness air cleaner now and hasn't had issues. But yeah, you definitely have to be careful with 3rd party stuff.

d'oh!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah don't look at XR1200 prices, it might give you a heart attack.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Eh, an Evo sporty is pretty much an Evo sporty. I don't think the EFI on these lends much practical value, seeing as the single carburetor arrangement is bulletproof and easy to maintain (drain your bowl!). The EFI is there pretty much because the EPA says it has to be. I don't even buy - having ridden a few of both - that the solid mount models are appreciably harsher than the rubbermounts.

An older sporty is a fine buy assuming you use the same sort of discretion as you would any other used bike. I think miles or age vs reliability is pretty much a crapshoot anyway as long as it's kept running. I have 3x the miles on my Uly as I had on my Vstar (which I bought new and maintained obsessively) when the gearbox fell apart, and the Uly has been more dependable and cheaper to run.

The problem with Dynas is that they hold their value even better than sportys. People hold onto their Evo big twins.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For me a tach only makes a difference if I look at it. I don't look at my instruments very often when I'm riding, do you? A bike will telegraph it's time to shift once you get to know it and I imagine this would be especially true for the Street's engine. It will run out of breath and get vibey well before the rev limiter intervenes; that bike probably has about 4000 rpm between torque peak and red line.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I get everything from Autozone except my primary oil. Mobil 1 synthetic 20w50 and a M1-103 filter from Autozone. A trip to the harley dealer gets some Formula+, usually 2-3 at a time to save a couple trips.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Scrapez posted:

Lots of guys swear by Metzler 880s. I've ridden bikes with them and they seem to grip well and they last a long time. Definitely prefer them to the Dunlops.

I liked riding on the Marathons, but I hated buying them.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Crotch Fruit posted:

I don't believe the average soccer mom is smart enough to recognize hand signals. I base this solely on the number of times I've seen someone using hand signals in traffic (less than a dozen times) and how every time my passenger will say "what is that maniac doing???"

This is why they need like a 5 no-brainer question knowledge quiz every time we renew our licenses.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Check your state laws but I don't think you'll have trouble with it on a case. There are probably height, orientation, and illumination requirements though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

there is no "making up signals." I point where I'm going. if I'm riding with other people and I want to signal something to them that doesn't exist within the extremely tiny parameters of hand signals designed for people driving cars there is a pretty well-defined set of signals. you can read all about them in your local DMV guide to riding a motorcycle, anyone who arbitrarily points to signal anything other than "I'm going there" is most likely a nitwit.

Pointing where you're going is exactly making up signals.

These are not made-up indication signals. Everybody SHOULD know these and for the most part you will confuse people if you use special personalized signals.

And the pretty well defined set of signals includes pointing to indicate road hazard.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

"""""Highbeam"""""

That's what this is

right?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Radbot posted:

The gently caress? Who in their right mind is paying over sticker for a bike that hasn't significantly changed in awhile? Are they having supply issues or something?
:goonsay: Right on schedule.

I'd expect the ones they *can* ask over sticker for are the Rushmore models that had fairly comprehensive updates this last MY including engine design, aerodynamics, luggage, suspension, and audio. Folks want that new HO TC103 motor and I think the one-touch cases are pretty cool.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

El Jebus posted:

If this was to me then I would say I am not looking at vrods over $12k. Since I am not brand loyal, what I really want is a 2015 R 1200R from BMW. However, there isn't a large used market for 2015 BMWs, unless I am missing something...

I configured one and started getting close to $17k real quick. Good luck getting a used one much under sticker, too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

El Jebus posted:

Same here. I figure with my wife's recent promotion and maybe getting a job myself I can afford monthly payments on one but I need to ride to LA or San Diego and test ride a lot of bikes and see what I like and can afford if I am going to buy new.

Instead I picked up another loving silly rear end Buell for less than 1/3 the price. Ulysseses are a magnificent bargain right now and they still do the #potatopotatopotato thing. 130% of a road king's capability, 30% of the price.

Seriously if there was one other person on here who rode a Ulysses, I'd have somebody to chat with about motorcycling perfection.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 25, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Tipping over your dream bike because you made a beginner error like putting your foot down wrong at a stop light is going to suck. It won't jump up and bite you or anything though. Power is mellow, you cannot wheelie or endo it even if you tried. If it's down to that and a sporty, it makes virtually no practical real world difference which one you pick besides how much it will cost. I'd take a sporty though because unit evo > twin cam.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Wonder if they reused the bolts when they reinstalled the pulley. I don't have much practical experience with Harleys but I do know you're supposed to

:supaburn:USE NEW BOLTS!!!!!:supaburn:

when installing a pulley on a Buell.

That same dealer came out and towed a friend of mine for free when he had a flat. I hear good things about them.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Purple bikes always remind me of a guy I met in Idaho. He was describing his purple Vulcan as a bike "a colored would ride". It took me like 20 miles on the road to realize what he was talking about there. Never change, Whiteaho.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You can tour on anything but I tend to separate "can" and "want to".

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They are truly evil marketing geniuses.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Definitely a better looking bike than the Street, though.

I think just about anything is. To begin with, they need to fix the awful looking wiring that goes by the steering head on the Street. I'm pretty surprised that made production on a Harley, that's Erik level shenanigans.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You don't replace K&Ns

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They're some of the nicest switches you'll find on a motorcycle.

I'm constantly checking to see if I canceled my signal, so constantly checking the signal is pretty much riding for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife's Magna had a OD (6th) indicator but I still looked for 7.

• Locked thread