Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
I got a 2000 buell blast on craigslist a few months ago:

things I've fixed so far:
  • new avon viper stryke tires
  • new rear wheel bearings
  • new rear rotor
  • new air filter
  • engine oil & filter
  • new low seat
  • rejetted to match v & h exhaust that came from po

things I still plan to do:
  • replace front blinker
  • change primary/transmission oil
  • front pads
  • brake fluid

Giblet Plus! fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

CombatMedic posted:

Why not just smash your dick repeatedly with a hammer instead?

well this way i'm riding a bike so shut the gently caress up

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

CombatMedic posted:

First thing I noticed was the complete lack of a "friction zone" with the clutch. It was either engaged or it wasn't, which led to the thing jumping out from under you when you are going slow.

We had 2 guys in our group on 2 different Buells lose control and crash because of it.

Everything on the bike seems to be made from pot metal or plastic.

The seat did have a tendency to slide you forward for some reason.

I guess I just don't understand why someone wouldn't have just spent 5 grand on a scooter instead of the worst production bike ever made.

The blast has a shorter friction zone. I personally like it and have no problem controlling the bike with it.

The plastic tank cover does fit loosely. The metal parts on my bike seem fine.

I changed to a new factory low seat and I find it very comfortable. The original tall seat was hard and too wide.

The bike's low cg and centralized mass make it feel very responsive. The engine & rear swing arm are isolated from the rest of the bike by links & rubber dampeners. The bike becomes very smooth above ~2000 rpm because of this.

Mine cost considerably less than $5k, and I picked it over the ninja 250 as a starter bike because I like thumpers and the blast is easier to work on. It comes with more faults than some bikes but they are all fixable yourself.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

CombatMedic posted:

That is the new stock seat for 2012. It's why I spent the extra money on a '12 instead of a used '11. Really comfortable. It doesn't create any hot spots, and is good for several hours of riding without walking away with cramps.

wouldn't it make more sense to just buy the '12 seat?

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

Matures give, on average, $1066 per year to 6.3 charities
Boomers give $901 per year to 5.2 charities
Gen X gives $796 on average to 4.2 charities
Gen Y gives $341 to 3.6 charities.

That's a pretty steep dropoff there, Gen Y.

Also - I'm asking because I don't really know - do sportbikes even lend themselves to such mass formations outside of a track? I can only picture being incredibly annoyed and claustrophobic being cheek by jowl on bikes built for speed.

http://nonprofit.about.com/od/fundraising/a/generationalgivingstudy.htm

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

gently caress THE HATERS

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

No need to worry about coolant, water pumps etc., that's pretty much it.

Plus finned engines look cool.

all that and they also sound cooler due to more sound transmission of the combustion event thru the cylinder jugs

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

waiting on a front rubber isolator and exhaust gasket

Giblet Plus! fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 18, 2012

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

DILLIGAF posted:

With the fat front tire on my bike, there is a lot of stress on the forks when riding twisty roads. After a couple of days at Deal's gap, my fork seals were shot, same thing happened the next year.

Looked around and couldn't find any 41mm wide glide fork braces that I really liked, and the prices were ridiculous, so I figured I could redneck something together that would help.

Some 1/4" steel, a hole saw, an angle grinder, some steel tubing and threaded rod, this is what I came up with.

While I was at it, I changed out the sliders, completely rebuilt the forks and did a brake job.

Now to take it back to Deal's Gap and see if it helps!

Here is some constructive criticism:

The above drawing shows the loads on a fork, in a turn, hitting a bump. On the bottom left you can see your fork brace. The brace parallelograms about the threaded rods of your brace and the axle to fork bolted joints.

On the bottom right, you can see the "superbrace" style approach. This design has more stiffness in the axis to resist the loads I drew in the top picture.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

DILLIGAF posted:

Not an engineer or even pretending to be. This basic design is one I copied from a couple of companies that make fork braces, just not in the size I wanted.

What you drew out makes absolute sense, but the issue I am having (I think!) is not that the two legs are compressing at different rates along the longitudinal axis, but that they are torquing? Twisting? at different rates, as though the leading edge of the tire is attempting to turn at a different rate than the trailing edge of the tired (if that makes ANY sense at all)

If you are right about what is causing the seals on my sliders, I have no problem trashing these and starting over. I guess I will find out next time I take it up, eh?

The current design will provide very little stiffness to the forks twisting relative to each other, due to the small jointed connection between the tubing and the side plates. They will parallelogram along the axis of the fork as well.

If you have a bench press drill, hole saw, and radial or belt saw, you should be able to make a superbrace style brace yourself.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Backov posted:

Anyone know offhand if there are significant physical differences between the Sportster engine and the other Harley V-Twins? Other than displacement I mean.

The Sportster builds always seem quite high centered. I was wondering if that was something to do with the geometry of the engine.

They have a unitized crankcase / transmission. The mechanical drive for the cams uses gears, compared to the silent chain of the big twin.

The high centeredness probably comes from the more ideal belt/chain and swingarm angles than from the design of the engine.

This one looks somewhat high centered, maybe a little less just because of the overwhelming size of the big twin:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2012/08/05/big-twin-torque-in-a-sport-bike-package/

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

DILLIGAF posted:

So I got this last Tuesday... Dealer leftover 2011 XR1200R with 25miles on the odometer.

I was out with the wife, stopped at the local dealership to get some fork oil and was drooling over one they had that was a contest prize some guy had won. Wife rolled her eyes, then said "Just get one if you want it!"

Took a couple of days of searching to find one, it was in Spartanburg SC... drove down, paid cash, rode it home.

In about 6 hours, a bunch of Sportster guys are leaving for 5 days @ Deal's gap, should be able to give it a good workout.

cool bike, easily the coolest harley made by harley in the last ~20 years or so. but I'd still rather have a buell s1.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

n8r posted:

Harley updates their bikes - they're just restricted as hell as to what they can do because their buyers like "classic" Harleys. They're pretty drat good at what they do though.

they only do serious updates when forced to by the government. the reason they made the big twin was that the evo was too loud (gear driven cams) and didn't comply with emissions.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I know they advertise, but in terms of pushing individual models, I never see it. Though they would need to do that with the V-Rod and XR - the rest of their bikes are so traditional as to sell off their history. The new ones, though, would need some outreach - especially to people not interested in the "classic" Harleys.

Does anyone live in chicago? There's a guy who lives on belmont street and has an all chrome v-rod. the only non chrome is the tires. it must have taken a fortune. I'm not sure what he does, because I only see the bike out after midnight and in the early morning. living after midnight and all that.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

The government forced them to add inverted forks and a tailpiece to the Vrod?

victory forced them to do that

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Someone at work has a XR 1200 with the same scheme as my Sporty :v:

You should get 2 into 1 pipes as well, then you can really match, and your bike will run better.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Cruisers are inherently heavy. It's a consequence of the steel frames, dual shocks, heavy bars, chrome and cosmetics etc. instead of an aluminum backbone and plastic body. The weight does have the advantage of damping engine vibes.

Beyond the tinybikes like the S40 and Rebel, the Shadow RS is about the lightest and it's right at 500 pounds. Even a Thruxton is about 500 due to the cruiser-derived construction. You might be able to strip a Sporster down below that since it's not carrying water cooling, but I don't know.

Buell S1 weighs 440 dry, has a steel frame, and a better isolated engine than even the newest rubber mount sportsters. Oh, and it's powered by the sportster engine.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Strife posted:

Dear CAHOG,

I recently replaced the stock pipes on my 2011 Nightster with Vance & Hines Short Shots (like everyone else in the world - see below), and now I'm afraid my bike might be too loud. It might just be because I'm so used to it being quiet. It looks and performs much better, but going through my neighborhood I feel a bit like an rear end in a top hat.

Please advise.

sell them and get a decent 2 into 1. the bike will perform better and it will be slightly quieter.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
they sell special oil pumps where the main purpose is to enable a lower idle

:harley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

High Protein posted:

I think it's just plain cool they managed to squeeze 100HP out of something like this, just like I think it's cool how pushrod V8 engines are still competitive.

Technically, it was Buell, not harley, who squeezed 100 hp out of the Evo.

• Locked thread