Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
The alphabet soup demystified:

Wikipedia posted:

Harley model designations are a sequence of letters and numbers, combined in limited ways. The sequences can be long, as in the 2006 model designation FLHTCUSE.
The first letter may be one of the following:
K (1950s flathead small twin), E, F (1936–* single cam OHV big twin), U, V (1930–48 four cam flathead big twin), D, G, R, W (flathead small twin), X (Sportster OHV), or V (VRSC)
since 1984 only F (Big Twin), X (Sportster) and V (V_ROD) have been used regularly.
Letters are appended singly or in pairs, as follows:
B (BLACKED OUT ie Street Bob, Night Train, and Cross Bones models), C (Classic or Custom), CW (Custom Wide (2008 Softail Rocker)) D (Dyna chasis or Softail Deuce), E (Electric start), F (Fat Boy (1990–present); Fat Bob (2008–present) or Foot-shift (1972 and prior)), H (HANDLE BAR/ FRONT END MOUNTED FAIRING. ie bat wing fairing/quick release windshield.), I (Fuel injection), L (Low Rider)), N {(Nostalgia as in Softail Deluxe/Nostalgia/Special) and Nightster in Sportster family} P (Police), R (Race, Road King, or Rubber-mount), S (Sport, Springer), ST (Softail), T (FRAME MOUNTED FAIRING), WG (Wide Glide), SE (Screamin' Eagle), U (Ultra) X (FLHX Street Glide), sport in Dyna models, and Street Glide in Touring models.) XT (T-Sport Dyna Model).
Custom Vehicle Operations models can also have a number (2,3,4) added.
Note that these conventions for model designations are broken regularly by the company.

I went ahead and bolded the only sentence that matters FREEDOM:patriot: portion of the explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Apparently, everything on a Harley is called the Frame.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
edit: nope

content:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 8, 2012

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I can't even imagine how annoying the weight imbalance must be.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

invision posted:

I always thought that perimeter rotor was stupid until I finally rode one and holy poo poo does that thing stop.

They aren't necessarily a bad concept, but I think the rotors tend to warp under repeated hard braking, e.g. track conditions.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

n8r posted:

Something about the size of the headlight that messes up the look of the frontend for me.

Exactly what I was thinking, it looks like it's shrinking back in surprise.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Ah, that explains it. I'm sure they've all calculated it to the penny, but to me it seems counterintuitive that it would be cheaper to make different switchgear and put on bikes depending on where they're going to be sold. v:shobon:v\

I think it's because that in quite a few states it's illegal to flash your brights at people.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I always cringe when I hear someone idling at like 400rpm. I just want to reach out to the poor bike.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Both checking in, also making sure it's in first at a stop light about a thousand times.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Probably would have been cheaper to have someone buy you one in the states and then ship it overnight :cripes:

edit: or maybe not I guess it depends what your duty tax is

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
The ground clearance on EX250s is great if you get some rearsets.

• Locked thread