Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

RushMix posted:

When can I start PvPing?

Will I be able to in the trial?

No. There is a chance that you'll meet some rifters in Eltnen/Morheim, but the rift debuff in these two areas is so strong, that the invading players don't stand a chance.

You'll get access to the Abyss at level 25. There you are free to get ganked by enemy level 50+ players all day long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

Hungry Gerbil posted:

No. There is a chance that you'll meet some rifters in Eltnen/Morheim, but the rift debuff in these two areas is so strong, that the invading players don't stand a chance.

You'll get access to the Abyss at level 25. There you are free to get ganked by enemy level 50+ players all day long.

Do people still camp the low level abyss like the used to? I remember the exits of the Abyss "town" used to be camped to hell by high level players who just wanted to kill low characters.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
High level players are zerging in Balaurea. But there are still quite a few roaming the Abyss. Expect to be ganked every 5-10 minutes. I'd say questing in the Abyss is feasible, but not without risks.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I'm pretty much re-testing the waters at this point and running different classes to 10, so I'll catch up whenever. We should get some guild organization on Israphel going, even if it is only 3-4 of us right now.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 18, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Are there any worthwhile items to get with the Ascension Energy? In terms of actual gear or something that'll help me in combat, rather than just looking neat.

Also, Aionsource used to actually have decent class info on their forums. Now it has devolved into shitposting from non-subscribers who want to piss and moan. Is there a good resource for in depth class info/guides now? As in, beyond what bit there is in the game guide. Aion Life appears to have no in depth class guides either.

e: I picked up Alchemy on my Chanter, is that worth Mastering in the long term, or leaving at expert? I'm pretty clueless as to if crafting gear is worth it at the higher end. There's also cooking, I guess.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 18, 2011

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Turns out I already have Elyos characters on Perento. So that's 8 days of playtime wasted right there.

Petition submitted. Seriously though. 7 day delay to kill a character, and 24 hours to kill a legion. How stupid is that?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Tsurupettan posted:

Are there any worthwhile items to get with the Ascension Energy? In terms of actual gear or something that'll help me in combat, rather than just looking neat.

Also, Aionsource used to actually have decent class info on their forums. Now it has devolved into shitposting from non-subscribers who want to piss and moan. Is there a good resource for in depth class info/guides now? As in, beyond what bit there is in the game guide. Aion Life appears to have no in depth class guides either.

e: I picked up Alchemy on my Chanter, is that worth Mastering in the long term, or leaving at expert? I'm pretty clueless as to if crafting gear is worth it at the higher end. There's also cooking, I guess.

Get the presents for 30 or 50 tokens. They contain some moderately useful stuff.

Sadly I don't know of any good forums or other sources not in the OP. The official ones are kinda meh, but at least active. I'm asking in channel 3 and 4 most of the time, if I need information regarding the game.

Alchemy expert is useful because of the potions you can make. Mastering alchemy will give you access to the high-end orb and book crafting recipes. Those are worth quite a bit of money, if you are able to invest the money to craft them. Look how much kinah those weapons cost in the AH. Just be warned: you need a ton of kinah to craft good gear and a high frustration tolerance or luck.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Is it worth raising Armorsmithing or Handicrafting, or is it better to just get stuff through pve/pvp? That's the deciding factor for me on whether or not I say gently caress them and grab Cooking. Speaking of which, is mastering Cooking worth it?

e: I'm thinking completely for personal gearing purposes, not making kinah.

e2: Holy poo poo got my second daily reward of scrolls etc. and running two stacks of the +30 damage power shards absolutely fucks everything in the rear end on my Chanter.

e3: vvv I think I'll go Armorsmithing so that by the time I level my Templar I can put out sets of armor for her. Thanks for the input!

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 18, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Ok, you can produce adequate gear for a good price. But you still need to get the recipes. Those are a pain in the rear end to get. Especially for armor. I'd rather ask other people to craft the stuff for you and provide the components and a small fee. Crafting for yourself probably isn't worth it. You have to do it for the kinah.

Alchemy is good, because you NEED potions and scrolls. Cooking provides buff food, which is nice to have, but not a must. Both alchemy and cooking are also producing goods that are in high demand. So you can earn money easy and reliably.

It looks like you will get more of those questionnaires every day this month. It's awesome.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 18, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Some guy randomly asked me to do 'Tursin elites', and when I checked to see the level/class, it was a 55 templar. What's the deal? Why does a 55 suddenly want to take me to murder things?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tsurupettan posted:

Some guy randomly asked me to do 'Tursin elites', and when I checked to see the level/class, it was a 55 templar. What's the deal? Why does a 55 suddenly want to take me to murder things?

Because we have high level quests to mentor lowbies. If nothing else it's a system that ensures a near-dead low level zone's elites can be run by either finding a rare full group, or getting a mentor to bulldoze those zones.

Also why are you all rolling on Israphel and leaving me alone on Zikel? You just make me regret not having moved myself back during the server mergers. :arghfist::(

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Tsurupettan posted:

The mentoring system. You get daily quests and high levels get the same daily quests. Do the quest together and you get both very nice rewards. You should already be a member of the mentee faction.

You can earn ten coins daily thruogh these quests. Use those coins to buy nice gear from the administration officers.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Mentee faction? Is that what that academy thing was I ignored? :ohdear:

Thanks for the answers, both of you. And sorry Fluffy, I have all the names I want held on Israphel, plus others already here.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I might still try and convince NC Soft that moving me (since I was inactive at the mergers) is in their best interest as I'm heavily on the fence about continuing my sub after it's up in a week or 2. I'm only lvl 52 but running Udas, when I manage to find a group, is only fun for so long even if the XP is still fairly decent and probably equal to what I'd get running quests and without the risk of being destroyed by bored level 55 Asmo players in level 50-55 pvp gear enchanted to +10. :v:

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Tsurupettan posted:

Mentee faction? Is that what that academy thing was I ignored? :ohdear:

Yes. Just join. It's wort it.

RushMix
May 16, 2007
Can trial members join guilds?

Also, I'm logging on. Jinro is the name. Whisper me (if you can).

*Edit*

Characters under level 55 can't chat? What the gently caress?

RushMix fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 19, 2011

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

RushMix posted:

Can trial members join guilds?

Also, I'm logging on. Jinro is the name. Whisper me (if you can).

*Edit*

Characters under level 55 can't chat? What the gently caress?

If you are playing a trial, you can't chat, use the ah, use a bank, or trade. All pretty standard with the majority of MMO trials.

RushMix
May 16, 2007
Can I group or anything? I mean, this is a Multiplayer game, right?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

RushMix posted:

Can I group or anything? I mean, this is a Multiplayer game, right?

Yes. It's possible to group beginning at level 1. Even for trial accounts. Why don't you ask some people you meet? Global chat and whispering are not necessary to find someone to group with.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Haven't played this game in a while (something like 1.5-2 years) according to steam. Anyhow, the only thing that really turned me off was the insane amount of grinding it took to max your level. It seems like they've fixed that and a few other things that discouraged me from keeping my sub. After reading most of the changes they've made, I've decided to re-sub and give it another shot since I want an MMO to play (with pvp).

So, in the OP, it looks like there's only one active goon guild and it's on Perento Asmo side? It doesn't matter to me what faction I play as long as there's a goon presence to join up with.

Doing PvE is fine and all, but I really love the PvP side of Aion. I played a cleric last time so I'll probably just do that again since I'm sure they're still in high demand.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

You really do level a loving ton faster. Looking through some of the older resources on the quests, the listed experience they offer seems to be in the range of 30-40% below what the quests give now. The wikia said a quest was worth 20k, instead I got 27k, which is a 35% increase over the prior value.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
They have also added a ton of quests, mobs give more XP and there are many easy ways to get gear that is good enough for leveling.

I have played Aion since launch and even quit the game and deleted all my characters. And I have to say that getting to the level cap is fast, easy and enjoyable. You also have a few different ways of leveling.

Just leveling a few characters to 55 is already worth the price of the subscription in my opinio. To keep the endgame fun you have to participate in the PvP aspects of Aion though.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 19, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

When I leveled my Asmo Templar the first time a while ago, I barely finished the 10-20 zone at 20. This time on my Elyos Chanter, I'm well into 20 and I still have a loving ton of quests left in that zone (which I plan on doing, OCD gently caress yeah).

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I'm a little confused about the region thing since I haven't played in forever. But it looks like US goons can't play with EU goons, or asian servers, etc. Is this the case? If it is, where are the US goons playing (if any) since the OP says there aren't any active US members? :(

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

frosteh posted:

I'm a little confused about the region thing since I haven't played in forever. But it looks like US goons can't play with EU goons, or asian servers, etc. Is this the case? If it is, where are the US goons playing (if any) since the OP says there aren't any active US members? :(

There are 3 to 4 of us on israphel and 1 on zikel.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Cool. I just wanted to make sure of the server before I rolled a character and put time into it =D

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
We need to get names together of those of us on Israphel. I don't know how much legions cost but it might be fun to either start one or join an already established one.

Mine is Rajh, currently a level 16 Chanter, Elyos.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Red87 posted:

We need to get names together of those of us on Israphel.

Momizi, 10 Templar
Byakuren, 20 Chanter.

Haven't decided on a main, still going to give Spiritmaster and Ranger another go before I settle.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
When I get off work I'll have Lv 1 Cleric Frosteh

(if the name isn't taken) :ohdear:

ninja e: when is the maintenance/patch scheduled to end today?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Yeah, I think it would be best to give me the names of all goon characters and servers and I'll add them to the OP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

You really do level a loving ton faster. Looking through some of the older resources on the quests, the listed experience they offer seems to be in the range of 30-40% below what the quests give now. The wikia said a quest was worth 20k, instead I got 27k, which is a 35% increase over the prior value.

Brigadier Indratu, a level 48 campaign quest, was around 4 million XP when the game launched.

When I completed it during the recent free play period it was over 16 million XP, and several other quests in Heiron were the 1-2 million XP range when they were probably 500k back then. i don't know how much they upped the XP but it is more than doubled in some cases and a welcome change. If the leveling curve was like this when the game launched their retention would've been much greater.

There are still a few annoying level ranges pre-50 though. At 51+ it doesn't seem as bad but that might be due to having Udas and Taloc's Hollow open up then, with Taloc's Hollow being an easy-as-hell solo instance that gives around 20m or so xp if you kill everything, and Udas being fairly good XP and also a shitload of bosses that can drop a bunch of useful blue and gold gear.

e:

Tsurupettan posted:

There are 3 to 4 of us on israphel and 1 on zikel.

And I've pretty much stayed in the legion since I haven't found another that seems to be a good match so far (Gummi Bears are our griefing spiritual successors it would appear).

Also the cape makes it worth while:

I only play on EvilfluffyAZ currently. I have an alt sorc but they're level 10 and don't count.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 19, 2011

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
If there's a guild/legion/whatever you call it - can I get an invite? Made a cleric named Frosteh on Israphel.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

One thing I still don't get is what the hell an ec 350 is, or what suicide running the EC is supposed to accomplish. Is it something I should even concern myself with at 52?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
You get invited to a group, enter the EC and instantly hit the exit button. Then you receive 350 EC tokens. Repeat until you can buy EC stuff.

I tried both the EC 1VS1 and 10 man FFA PvP Arenas. It was well worth my time, since it's both fun and giving you rewards pretty fast.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 19, 2011

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
In as Khako, Ranger on Irasphel

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hungry Gerbil posted:

You get invited to a group, enter the EC and instantly hit the exit button. Then you receive 350 EC tokens. Repeat until you can buy EC stuff.

I tried both the EC 1VS1 and 10 man FFA PvP Arenas. It was well worth my time, since it's both fun and giving you rewards pretty fast.

So I should be doing this every day and it's dumb not to, right?

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
Had quite a bit of fun tonight. Leveling is extremely fast at times. Also there's a double XP event on Israphel right now, come get it while it lasts (until the 26th).

COME BE A DAEVA!

Group Fun!

Be an elf MANCHILD

Fight the infamous Rapecrab!

We're lonely goons. If you played Aion before at launch, the game is 100 times better now and I actually repurchased it even after being skeptical at first. I've done in two days of leveling what took me 2 weeks at launch. You WILL outlevel zones before the quests are done.

Red87 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 20, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Conveniently forgot to screenshot the part where we got destroyed by respawns and adds. :goonsay:

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
I hate to be 'that guy' and ask an extremely ambiguous and dumb question, but can someone honestly and without bias tell me how the pvp in this game compares to other MMOs? I don't have a ton of MMO pvp experience, but what I've tried so far includes WoW, AoC, Rift, and WAR. This looks pretty fun from videos but those can only tell you so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

I hate to be 'that guy' and ask an extremely ambiguous and dumb question, but can someone honestly and without bias tell me how the pvp in this game compares to other MMOs? I don't have a ton of MMO pvp experience, but what I've tried so far includes WoW, AoC, Rift, and WAR. This looks pretty fun from videos but those can only tell you so much.

I haven't done it recently as I'm not level 25 yet, however at launch it was probably some of the best PVP I've played in an MMO. Perhaps some of the other posters can weigh in but I had a blast roving around in gangs and assaulting fortresses and stuff. PVP isn't nearly as fun played solo, but hell I don't see why we couldn't get roaming goon PVP groups like we had at launch.

Tsurupettan posted:

Conveniently forgot to screenshot the part where we got destroyed by respawns and adds. :goonsay:

Well where's the fun in that. It's propaganda, we only show our victories.

• Locked thread