Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
I'll be back on in a couple days, away for some work stuff. We really need to get either the old Goon legion up or a new one started. What are the costs to start a legion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
The PvP EC instances are great! And they really represent the PvPvE spirit of Aion. You can kill other players, but collecting bonus items or killing mobs is useful, too. So you always have to think what to do next. The bonus item give each arena a unique feel and type of conflict. I love it.

Blorknorg posted:

So I purchased this sometime in the past, and I'm going to give it a try once it finishes downloading. I noticed it has an RAF system and I haven't yet created the account.

I've actually spoken with HungryGerbil in the past, so I'll offer the RAF credit to them first, but assuming they don't reply, I guess it's up for grabs. To be clear I'm fairly sure I won't be subbing past the "Free" 30 days, but I read the RAF FAQ and it did indicate there's a bunch of bonus items one gets.

Edit:
Ended up just regging since nobody seemed interested. Snipped all relevant info.

Awww, I haven't had the time to read the thread until now. Oh well, I hope you have fun. :)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The 1v1 arenas are an exercise in futility though.

First fight: Me vs level 55 asmo gladiator with +10 elite pvp 50 set and +15 lvl 55 weapon. Could kill me in 3-4 seconds and his silence godstone procced every time before I died. I never once had the ability to break holds.

Second fight: Me vs level 55 cleric, similar type of gear, similar results.

Third fight: level 55 elyos ranger. no pvp gear, some level 40-50 gold gear, so about evenly matched. Murdered the sweet jesus out of him, even on the flying volcano level (because he kept flying into lava). Didn't die to them at all but came very close a few times.

It'll probably be more fun 1v1 once I'm geared to some extent. Going to try the group arena and see if it goes any better. My only concern is getting as many medals as possible to gear up when I hit 55. Just hit 53 today so maybe in a few weeks I'll be 55 and have enough stuff to gear up somewhat.

It looks like, when conditioned, the eternal EC pvp gear might be the best pvp gear as far as damage increases/reductions go, wouldn't it?

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Hungry Gerbil posted:

The PvP EC instances are great! And they really represent the PvPvE spirit of Aion. You can kill other players, but collecting bonus items or killing mobs is useful, too. So you always have to think what to do next. The bonus item give each arena a unique feel and type of conflict. I love it.

Awww, I haven't had the time to read the thread until now. Oh well, I hope you have fun. :)

Crap sorry! I sort of ended up thinking the potions weren't a big deal or something, seemed like nobody was even going "I'll take it if gerbil doesn't want it".

I had to make my pretty pretty dressup angels!!!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Stupid Newbie question: What is 30e/40e/50e? They keep mentioning it in the Chanter channel. Also, I'm nearing 33, and I have money. Should I buy the Silver coins to get the gold 36 set? Or should I just get the blue rank 5 set, and maybe the gold staff? Right now I've got full blue rank 7 gear and I made a thing as soon as I hit 25:

Yeah, it cost a bit of money. Not too much, maybe like 3.5m total to buy it, upgrade it and put stones in the stuff. But gently caress me it has been a fun past 7 levels destroying stuff in seconds.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Blorknorg posted:

I had to make my pretty pretty dressup angels!!!

Don't worry, be happy! Play dress up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEo8kSAb8B8

:iamafag:

Tsurupettan posted:

Stupid Newbie question: What is 30e/40e/50e? They keep mentioning it in the Chanter channel. Also, I'm nearing 33, and I have money. Should I buy the Silver coins to get the gold 36 set? Or should I just get the blue rank 5 set, and maybe the gold staff? Right now I've got full blue rank 7 gear and I made a thing as soon as I hit 25:

Yeah, it cost a bit of money. Not too much, maybe like 3.5m total to buy it, upgrade it and put stones in the stuff. But gently caress me it has been a fun past 7 levels destroying stuff in seconds.

Ask all the newbie questions to your hearts content! Don't hesitate. :)

That's the PvP elite sets. Those are the most expensive and naturally best PvP items for their respective level. 40e for example is pretty fast to get and already a respectable PvP set.

The blue coin gear is way cheaper than the gold coin gear. And it's perfectly fine if you upgrade it every 5 levels. Only at level 51 you should buy the gold coin gear. It's a pretty big chunk of money, but worth it!

Enchanting items on lower levels is really worth it, since the enchantment stones are so cheap. The enchantment doesn't scale with the item level though. +10 on a level 10 white weapon gives the exact same bonus values as +10 on a level 55 eternal grade weapon. So take care and don't throw your money out of the window. At level 55 the difference between +0 and +10 is still noticeable but not exactly big.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The 1v1 arenas are an exercise in futility though.

First fight: Me vs level 55 asmo gladiator with +10 elite pvp 50 set and +15 lvl 55 weapon. Could kill me in 3-4 seconds and his silence godstone procced every time before I died. I never once had the ability to break holds.

Second fight: Me vs level 55 cleric, similar type of gear, similar results.

Third fight: level 55 elyos ranger. no pvp gear, some level 40-50 gold gear, so about evenly matched. Murdered the sweet jesus out of him, even on the flying volcano level (because he kept flying into lava). Didn't die to them at all but came very close a few times.

It'll probably be more fun 1v1 once I'm geared to some extent. Going to try the group arena and see if it goes any better. My only concern is getting as many medals as possible to gear up when I hit 55. Just hit 53 today so maybe in a few weeks I'll be 55 and have enough stuff to gear up somewhat.

It looks like, when conditioned, the eternal EC pvp gear might be the best pvp gear as far as damage increases/reductions go, wouldn't it?

1vs1 is over fast and you get to enter faster, too. I always play the group and the 1vs1 arena, since both are useful learning opportunities. Free for all is much more hilarious though. Cloth and leather get focused and killed instantly, chain is ignored and plate is bulldozing through everyhting. It's chaotic and everyone gets ganked by everyone else.

Eternal EC gear is pretty good, but not as good as the eternal AP PvP gear.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 23, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Thanks, I think I'll grab the blue rank 5 gear and the gold weapon, because god drat it's nice. I'd love to spend another 10 levels destroying mobs in seconds. :black101:

e: vv Thanks for the heads up, right now I'm at 331.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 23, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Tsurupettan posted:

Thanks, I think I'll grab the blue rank 5 gear and the gold weapon, because god drat it's nice. I'd love to spend another 10 levels destroying mobs in seconds. :black101:

Something to keep in mind for later: the first soft-cap for crit strike is at 440 and the second one is at 600. After reaching the first or second crit cap you should switch to attack or hp stones.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Eternal AP gear, you mean the non-set level 55 stuff, or a different set of gear coming in 3.0? It looks like the conditioned high end EC gear would be pretty solid. My current plan is to save up for one of the weapons and use that then eventually armsfuse it to something better, like a vorpal/SW polearm.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Who can I bother for an invite to the guild? I've been levelling Shellaris (sorcerer) and just hit 10 so I can finally actually send messages. I assume it's a bit late at the moment, but hopefully can snag an invite tomorrow.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Evil Fluffy posted:

Eternal AP gear, you mean the non-set level 55 stuff, or a different set of gear coming in 3.0? It looks like the conditioned high end EC gear would be pretty solid. My current plan is to save up for one of the weapons and use that then eventually armsfuse it to something better, like a vorpal/SW polearm.

Yeah, the non-set level 55 orange gear. The big differences are the number of slots and the upkeep costs of the level 2 conditioning. Level 2 conditioning costs about 14 million kinah every two weeks as far as I know.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

What's the deal with the Alabaster Order and these stupid limited duration weapons/armor? :colbert: I joined the faction but the npc was vague as hell.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Well, those are an alternative to mist gear for the fast leveler. But you should just save them for now. The daily quests of this faction are very easy. (Sometimes you need level appropriate gathering skills though.) And you can exchange them for other factions' tokens at level 50+. From level 50 on there are two more factions, a PvP and a PvE faction. They give various nice rewards. The most important ones are the AP relict rewards from the PvP faction.

Read those pages, they are very important:

Elysean factions:
http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/Fortuneers
http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/Orichalcum%20Key
http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/Radiant+Ops
http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/Alabaster+Order
http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/kaisinel%20academy

Asmodean faction:
http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/Charlirunerk%27s+Daemons
http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/The%20Circle
http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/Blood+Crusade
http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/Field+Wardens
http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/marchutan%20priory

Faction token conversion:
http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/Token+Conversion

Red87 posted:

I'll be back on in a couple days, away for some work stuff. We really need to get either the old Goon legion up or a new one started. What are the costs to start a legion?

Just 10k kinah for a basic level 1 legion.

http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/Legions

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 23, 2011

Otakuforlife
Aug 18, 2011

by T. Mascis
Cool to see so many people interested in the game again...
I'm level 55 and been playing since beta. So if you have in game
questions that you need help with, I'll be glad to answer them.
If I'm not in Dreg or PVPCRUS (ie) sometime when I can't type ;).

The name is Rosalean BTW
http://na.aiononline.com/myaion-character-detail?charId=21349&serverId=2

And sometimes on my ASMO
http://na.aiononline.com/myaion-character-detail?charId=669534&serverId=4

Otakuforlife fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 23, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

What are these KHQ grind groups I keep seeing?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Tsurupettan posted:

What are these KHQ grind groups I keep seeing?

You earn good XP and the elite mobs there (Kaidan HQ) drop Krall molars. I think the main motivation is to get boots with 20% run speed. They are the lowest level equip with run speed as far as I know. Selling Krall molars is also pretty profitable.

http://www.aionarmory.com/item.aspx?id=186000028

Otakuforlife
Aug 18, 2011

by T. Mascis
There groups to farm Kadian HQ Elites, there worth a good amount of experience.
An awful lot if you can solo them. Honestly there the best power level tool from
35-40. There are also a bunch of kill quests for the region as well. Just
be sure to hit your glide correctly when training to the higher level area or
you'll end up burned to death in the lava. Also there's some nice mini-bosses
up that way. Honestly molars aren't worth that much anymore and if you want shoes
I recommend buying cheap expert ones off the broker (even the blues).

Otakuforlife fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 23, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
So grinding KHQ is mainly about the XP now?

Otakuforlife
Aug 18, 2011

by T. Mascis
Yup, story/mob kill quests.. I use that place on my 55 temp to Plvl friends out of group by
taunting mobs. Non-mentoring has no exp cap on it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Otakuforlife posted:

Yup, story/mob kill quests.. I use that place on my 55 temp to Plvl friends out of group by

So just taunt out of group and they get the same XP whether level 25 or 35?

e: vvvvv yeah that's my thoughts. Have high level friend blitz you through a few dozen levels in an afternoon and be able to do the same for them? God yes please. I imagine that mentoring becomes more efficient at some points.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 23, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Otakuforlife posted:

Woah. :aaaaa:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Otakuforlife posted:

Can you be my new best friend? Joking aside, I'm doing this with an SM and Sorc right now and blowing through them, 200k exp a pop from the 40s. :)

Otakuforlife
Aug 18, 2011

by T. Mascis
Well not at the moment at my tabletop game right now..
But the key to it, is making sure the plever (the 55 guy) does
no damage to the target, not even IJ. The other method is using
a high level cleric to heal you out of party. If the high level person
hits it even once the exp is reduced dramticaly. Also there is a restriction
to worry about: Mobs defense vs the low levels ability to do damage.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

Can you be my new best friend? Joking aside, I'm doing this with an SM and Sorc right now and blowing through them, 200k exp a pop from the 40s. :)

I have to 4 man Udas to get 200k xp per kill on elites at 53. Maybe I should make some characters on Israphael. :v:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Ugh, ran FT a couple times thinking 'gently caress yeah, time for some awesome exp'. Nope, pretty lovely compared to what I can do solo while questing. :colbert: Something like 25k-30k exp for most of the mobs in a full group, the stuff in Heiron on-level is worth the same and dies in a fraction of the time. I don't even know if it's worth doing FT to get the gold gear from the event. I got my staff on the second run, at least.

I am hoping for good things from the solo instance at 37, though. :unsmith:

e: While I'm here, can anyone recommend some Stigma choices for my chanter?

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 23, 2011

Otakuforlife
Aug 18, 2011

by T. Mascis
Solo = Mountain crash line
Group = Invincibility Mantra Line

If your really hardcore get both lines :)

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Otakuforlife posted:

Solo = Mountain crash line
Group = Invincibility Mantra Line

If your really hardcore get both lines :)

Both? How the hell does that work, I thought you could only get one of the lines in total. :psyduck:

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Tsurupettan posted:

Both? How the hell does that work, I thought you could only get one of the lines in total. :psyduck:

You can buy stigmas for both trees with AP and just switch them around. It costs quite a bit stigma shards, so frequent switching is expensive.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Does every zone's campaign quests end up being group ones?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Lyer posted:

Does every zone's campaign quests end up being group ones?

Yes, the only exceptions are Poeta/Ishalgen. But you can also solo the final campaign quests in Verteron/Altgard. You just need to be in a group to enter the Abyss gate.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Aion 3.0 wings. :swoon:

http://imgur.com/a/wVb3T

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

And of course, Asmos still have the coolest wings. :smith:

So, I hit 36 and I got my gold quality silver coin staff, fused the Kromede staff into it and upped it to +10 (in one go, too! lucky me!). Jesus christ it's like a new game all over again, especially with the +11% attack speed. I have the FT gloves for another +3%. It's loving nuts when I pop a scroll and Word of Wind, it's five minutes of melting mobs instantly.

I definitely chose the right class, especially after seeing the chanter channel rave about how much rear end we kick in the 1v1 arena.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Aion 3.0 wings. :swoon:

http://imgur.com/a/wVb3T

I don't think I'll ever get over how pretty this game is. Ridiculousness of some of the costumes/set pieces aside, they really get the details right.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Yes, the only exceptions are Poeta/Ishalgen. But you can also solo the final campaign quests in Verteron/Altgard. You just need to be in a group to enter the Abyss gate.

The completionist in me is going to be very annoyed then. :(

trem
Sep 17, 2009
I just realized that I out-leveled Haramel before I could complete all the quests for it. Not that big of a deal, but now I can't do the repeatable quest for the easy krall marks.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

juicetan posted:

I just realized that I out-leveled Haramel before I could complete all the quests for it. Not that big of a deal, but now I can't do the repeatable quest for the easy krall marks.

Ask someone to mentor you. It'll take 10 minutes if you ask a level 55.

Lyer posted:

Well, you can always help low levels as a mentor and completet the quest this way.

Otakuforlife
Aug 18, 2011

by T. Mascis
More exp if they just use taunt or out of party heals, but on the other
hand a lot more kills :)

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I'm like 38 or just about there on my Chanter on Israphel. Ask me for help if you need me and I'm not stuck in a group. Byakuren is the name.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

Lyer posted:

Once I choose a class to finally get past lvl 15 I'll do them with you. I'm still undecided between glad assassin or a ranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I can't believe a disconnect closes the client (still) instead of dumping you to the main menu. That is infuriating when it's nothing but a lag spike, making you take an extra couple minutes to load back in instead of 30 seconds.

I may or may not have missed a boss loot roll because of this. :v:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 25, 2011

• Locked thread