Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otakuforlife
Aug 18, 2011

by T. Mascis
The new crucible is good for gearing up alt 55's
without going insane from instances :)

The only problem is that everyone can get PVP armor in 2 weeks.
That takes away the leetness in getting a full-set of 50e.
Though overall the 50e is better in a lot of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I slept through the alarm, Otakuforlife. I'll abuse your good will and generosity another day!

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Otakuforlife: I had originally purchased this game when it came out back in 2009 and quickly dropped it as the grind was time consuming and made my brain hurt. I need something to hold me over between now and Diablo 3/Mists beta testing on my days off cause I have found myself exceedingly bored with WoW and I wanna play something pretty.

Is the OP a sufficient amount of information to get back into the game and what class will I have the most fun soloing with while not having to wait forever to get into groups to do group things?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
What is your definition of fun? All classes are fun in their own way.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 25, 2011

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Can Chanters mainheal these days? When I quit it seemed like we weren't honestly good for anything but buffs and middling DPS.

Otakuforlife
Aug 18, 2011

by T. Mascis

Tsurupettan posted:

I slept through the alarm, Otakuforlife. I'll abuse your good will and generosity another day!

I did wait up though... Lazy! . It's cool some other time.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Soothing Vapors posted:

Can Chanters mainheal these days? When I quit it seemed like we weren't honestly good for anything but buffs and middling DPS.

They can't main heal BT HM or EC or some world bosses, but most groups in these situations need to take a chanter with them anyways. And in many other situations a chanter can replace a cleric.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Hungry Gerbil posted:

What is your definition of fun? All classes are fun in their own way.

The sorcerer looks pretty fun. I think I'll start there before making a useful class like a tank or some kind of healer.

I just don't want looking for groups to suck for me cause the class I choose is overpopulated.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

protobyss posted:

The sorcerer looks pretty fun. I think I'll start there before making a useful class like a tank or some kind of healer.

I just don't want looking for groups to suck for me cause the class I choose is overpopulated.

Do you like mobs exploding just by you looking at them? Do you want to level fast? Do you hate sitting down to regenerate HP and MP? Do you want to be able to kill world bosses solo? Do you want to kill tons of mobs at the same time? Do you want interesting mechanics? Do you want to play without thinking too much? Do you want group PvP? Do you want solo PvP? Do you want to do many PvE instances? Do you hate to be gear dependent? Do you prefer PvE or PvP?

Think about these questions and what is most important to you.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Don't worry, be happy! Play dress up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEo8kSAb8B8

:iamafag:

in 42 levels of playing this (as asmo) I never saw any of those plaid schoolgirl outfits. Truly I was doing something wrong.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
You could buy those in the shop in August or September if I remember it right. There was an event at the same time where you could also get them.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Do you like mobs exploding just by you looking at them? Do you want to level fast? Do you hate sitting down to regenerate HP and MP? Do you want to be able to kill world bosses solo? Do you want to kill tons of mobs at the same time? Do you want interesting mechanics? Do you want to play without thinking too much? Do you want group PvP? Do you want solo PvP? Do you want to do many PvE instances? Do you hate to be gear dependent? Do you prefer PvE or PvP?

Think about these questions and what is most important to you.

I want mobs to explode just by looking at them, I want to level fast, I hate sitting down to regenerate, I want to kill world bosses solo, I want to kill tons of mobs at the same time. I want to play without thinking too much, PvP for the time being can eat me but I would like to be able to solo PvP if I had to, I would like to do many PvE instances, being gear dependent kinda blows, but I mostly prefer PvE.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

protobyss posted:

I want mobs to explode just by looking at them, I want to level fast, I hate sitting down to regenerate, I want to kill world bosses solo, I want to kill tons of mobs at the same time.
Hmm, could you tell me what the two or three most important items in this list are?

Sorcs are very good at exploding mobs over the whole leveling range, while hunters have some levels where killing things is hard and slow.

Fast leveling means taking one of the high DPS classes like sorcs (top DPS), assassins (top DPS), rangers (high DPS) or glads(high DPS).

If you want to have no downtime you should play cleric. They can heal themselves and have skills to replenish their mana pool.

Clerics are the one class in Aion that is able to solo world bosses and instances.

Killing tons of mobs at the same time is the specialty of the gladiator, but it is not too much of an advantage.

protobyss posted:

I want to play without thinking too much, PvP for the time being can eat me but I would like to be able to solo PvP if I had to, I would like to do many PvE instances, being gear dependent kinda blows, but I mostly prefer PvE.

You shouldn't play SM, because that class is hard to play both in PvE and PvP. There are 9 lovely SMs for every good one.

With the right equip every class can play solo, but rangers and assassins are good for sneaking around and jumping people when they are most vulnerable. Sorcs are good for solo PvP because they can nuke and CC people if they strike first.

The three melee classes assassin, templar and chanter are very gear dependent, since they need both good weapons and armor. Sorc on the other hand is the least gear dependent class. They are viable in PvP even without PvP gear.

Tanks and healers are in demand for PvE instances. Gladiators are almost as good as templars fulfilling the tanking roll and assassins are also good tanks with the right equip. Chanters are mediocre healers, but they can be the main heal in many instances and in the harder instances, where a cleric is needed a chanter is also required. Pick any chain or plate class if you want to play in groups often. Cleric and templar are in higher demand than chanter and gladiator though. Especially gladiators, since they are one of the most popular classes. And the main drawback of the templar is the relatively high gear dependence and low DPS without good gear. Clerics don't need as good gear, since they don't get attacked and don't attack in instances. (You can attack mobs in instances as a cleric, but your DPS output in a good geared group is negligible.)

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 25, 2011

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Well I rolled a Sorc on Isphael (sp?) named Arzakon. If anyone wants to help me out feel free to message me.

Otakuforlife
Aug 18, 2011

by T. Mascis

Hungry Gerbil posted:

You shouldn't play SM, because that class is hard to play both in PvE and PvP. There are 9 lovely SMs for every good one.

I agree, lucky I don't suck too bad. Just re-speced alt SM
for main-line pvp what a pain in the rear end.. The whole hot-bar
is so different form my main lol

Olenji
http://na.aiononline.com/myaion-character-detail?charId=669534&serverId=4

Otakuforlife fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 25, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Otakuforlife posted:

My first character I played to 55 was SM, too. And I really sucked at it. :smith:

Playing around with the pets was fun though...

Otakuforlife
Aug 18, 2011

by T. Mascis
People usually mess up what skills to use first in there chains
and when to use fear streak. I gotta a lot of practice soloing elites
. So get really good at these things or die trying :)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I don't recall the last time I saw a chanter main heal for an instance. With a buff group I would guess anything's possible. Like watching a ranger tank Debilkarim while you're stuck in the wall because of his knockback.

So with the mentoring and the ungrouped-no-xp-cap mechanics to alternate between, how fast does it take someone to hit level 30 with some 55 helping them? I've have to imagine that when you're killing elites every couple seconds and all XP goes to the mentee it ends up being levels per hour instead of xp per hour.

e: and on that note, if I roll a sorc on Israphael would anyone be interested in helping me gain a few (dozen) levels to catchup and play them with the rest of you?

e2: vvvvv yeah hitting stuff and doing damage could be a problem, but with how enchantments scale and how dirt cheap lower stones are, getting a level 10-15 weapon and moving it to +10 is pretty inexpensive and the bonuses for caster items is kind of lop-sided at low levels. Even just putting half a dozen manastones on gear by level 10 gives a pretty significant increase in damage.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 26, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Well, as Otakuforlife said, you have to take into account that out of group support may not damage the mob at all. So it actually depends on how good your dps output is, if a regular mentor group or a player helping outside of your group is better. I'd say that you could reach level 30 in a weekend if you find a level 55 that is willing to help out. (Let's say 4 play sessions of 3 to 4 hours.)

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

Otakuforlife posted:

Olenji

By chance, is that name a play on "ORA-N-GEE" haha?

Otakuforlife
Aug 18, 2011

by T. Mascis
Well she is very orange :)
I'd have to ask my girlfriend that question when she wakes up.
She named and designed that toon for me to play Asmo on.

By-the-way a new glitch of the day! If you fall off the abyss bridge in
PVP solo crucible. Glide to the wall on the other side and keep flying towards it,
you'll get stuck. So you won't die until your flight time drops. Also your enemy
could fall off in the mean time trying to get to you.

Screenshot:

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
No matter how often I play this drat map, I manage to fall off this bridge at least once every time.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Speaking of falling off of things, back in the early days, you'd die if you were freefalling too far, say, if you jumped off the top level of abyss to the lower part or if you simply fell for like 5+ seconds.

Is this still the case?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Yes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Otakuforlife posted:

Olenji

Race: Asmodian
Server: Zikel

Well I know who to target during fort fights now. :ese:

That bridge map is poo poo. If you rubberband you're almost certainly going off it and dying. The volcano in the 10 man FFA is amazing though. Aside from the turret being completely and utterly overpowered, people usually focus on fighting so much that I can spend a minute or two flying through the rings at the bottom for 250 points a pop, with the occasion 750 point item grab. I usually end up placed 3-5 when starting on that map.

The Colosseum is another nice one. Run to the middle and grab a 1750 point item while a group of people are fighting over it, spam AOE, collect points even if/when murdered by para/stun(which ignore unwavering devotion it seems?) godstone rangers.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Some people are complaining, that PvE gives too many points, but I think its the exact same amount. You not only have to think about killing as many players as possible, but also about denying them points through PvE and earning those PvE points yourself. And then there are the horrible elite mobs loving up careless players.

:) The PvP EC is the one part of Aion that's closest to PvPvE.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Everyone plays on Zikel now?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

One person plays mainly on Zikel, one person has an alt on Zikel but plays primarily on Israphel, everyone else active plays on Israphel.

e: In the US, of course.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Tsurupettan posted:

One person plays mainly on Zikel, one person has an alt on Zikel but plays primarily on Israphel, everyone else active plays on Israphel.

e: In the US, of course.

Is there a list of names that I can get so I can friend people to ask questions. So far everything is starting to come together for me but when you first get to Sanctum it's pretty insane.

I'm in Veteron right now killin' thangs and flyin' around.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Feel free to add my cleric Frosteh, on Israphel.

Usually on in the evening after work and most weekends.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Well, I coul add a list of active players to the Op, if enough people post their names/fation/server.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Some people are complaining, that PvE gives too many points, but I think its the exact same amount. You not only have to think about killing as many players as possible, but also about denying them points through PvE and earning those PvE points yourself. And then there are the horrible elite mobs loving up careless players.

:) The PvP EC is the one part of Aion that's closest to PvPvE.

The Noble Manor/haunted house level has some 750 point non-elites. I spawned in a room with one as a round started. Killed it and almost had another one dead when a cleric came in and ruined my day.

I then respawned by three non-elite 1-dot guards and AOE'd them dead in 3 seconds.

All things considered I think its perfect. Some mobs give a lot of points and people may go after them, especially people like me who have a lack of pvp gear to take on the +10 50e monsters that I precision cut for ~500 damage. :v:

It's definitely a very good mix. If you just hunt people you can get on top if you're good, or lose badly if you're not smart about it, and if you're farming items/npcs you can do decently. Even with my setup (http://na.aiononline.com/myaion-character-detail?charId=427647&serverId=4) I can usually get 6-7th place, and got 5th once, because I balance between the pvp and pve targets well. I like it and I'm on pace to get the 14k insignia Greatsword/Polearm by the end of the weekend, which shouldn't be too long after I hit 55.

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Well, I coul add a list of active players to the Op, if enough people post their names/fation/server.

Name: EvilfluffyAZ
Race: Elyos
Server: Zikel
Legion: TopGoon :thurman:

Will likely Make an Evilfluffy on Israphael, Elyos, to play with the others at some point soon.

trem
Sep 17, 2009
Name: Tremulant
Class: Assassin
Server: Israphel

Legion: some random legion I joined so I'd have a cape

I also have a Templar (around level 13 or so) that I made the other night, but I don't know how much playtime he'll receive.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Name: Byakuren
Server: Israphel

Currently level 37 Chanter. Haven't played in a day or two though, I've been bitten by the Anno 1404 bug.

Otakuforlife
Aug 18, 2011

by T. Mascis
Reminder, pick up your 2 tickets for the arena even if
you can't go that day. They stack and are good for 7 days :)

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Aion 3.0 new instance boss fights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPeNE-RWggA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Wvj1EmGuI

Zanin
Nov 5, 2010
One thing I hate about this game and the main reason I quit twice is the kinah grinding. You need hundreds of millions of kinah to be up to par with everyone else in top tier pvp. I lost hundreds of millions of kinah enchanting and socketing my gear that I decided to quit. You have to constantly grind out kinah and enslave yourself to the game just to be able to have fun and pvp. I don't even know how the 1% of players have billions of kinah.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Zanin posted:

One thing I hate about this game and the main reason I quit twice is the kinah grinding. You need hundreds of millions of kinah to be up to par with everyone else in top tier pvp. I lost hundreds of millions of kinah enchanting and socketing my gear that I decided to quit. You have to constantly grind out kinah and enslave yourself to the game just to be able to have fun and pvp. I don't even know how the 1% of players have billions of kinah.
You have to get your priorities right.

Gear socketed with white manastones is fine and dirt cheap. The first important thing to do after that step is getting green manastones. And if you have money left, you can start enchanting your gear. But it's not important: If you have white socketed PvP gear and you still lose all the time, you are a lovely player without skills, picked the wrong stigmas or socketed the wrong manastones. Kinah grinding is NOT necessary!

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 27, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Ok, I compiled a list of all people who posted in this thread:

Elyos on Israphel (US)
Tsurupettan (Byakuren, Momizi)
Red87 (Rajh)
RushMix (Jinro)
frosteh (Frosteh)
Khako (Khako, Siphus)
Lyer (Cawkes)
juicetan (Tremulant)
flipoff (Aeryon)
Otakuforlife (Olenji, Rosalean)
protobyss (Arzakon)

Elyos on Zikel (US)
Evil Fluffy (EvilfluffyAZ)
xsf421 (Stereophonic)

Asmos on Perento (EU)
pertinent (???)
Hra Mormo (Mahea)

Elyos on Thor (DE)
Hungry Gerbil (Silica, Mayushii)

I'll add this list to the OP. Post in this thread if you want to be added to the list and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Hm, reading the thread has bitten me with the bug to give this a go again.
I have a couple of questions, didn't see them answered but if they have been, apologies.

My account is on the EU side, had it from launch for a few months, put a collectors code on it too. Any way to shift that to the US, seeing as that is where the majority are?

Has botting and RMT spam died down yet, or are they still out in force?

• Locked thread