Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011
Voted 5, just for that last post alone. This is going to be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiphoppotamus
Jul 2, 2007

Adeptus Mechanicus: Now Avaliable in ~moe~
This is great and can only get better.

Very excited for the diagrams of Denise's crazy world.

Redeadagain
Jan 10, 2009

this shall be
humorous
:dance: This can only get better. Go Dog Go!

Mrs. Mahler
Mar 8, 2006
Why a duck?

uglynoodles posted:

As time went on I found she had similar beliefs to mine -- nature spirits and the like. She was quite sane, and is in fact a friend to this day. She listened to me about my problems and we helped each other.

Can you tell us more about your belief in nature spirits and the like?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Loving this, makes my childhood seem so much more normal.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I feel both :suspense: and highly uncomfortable, like watching a Todd Solondz movie.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Oh, sure. I don't talk about it very much at all. I generally like to keep it to myself.

It's nothing too strange. I think that everything in the universe is connected by a force we can't see, and can't really understand. I think that gods might exist, but not in the traditional sense. I think that if they do, they might live on another plane of existence, like a different radio signal -- they do not age, sicken and die like we do because they aren't subject to those things and don't have bodies. They could influence things by way of inspiring ideas and thoughts in others, and perhaps in other intangible ways, but I don't think they could change water into wine and stuff like that. I think that after we die, our consciousness is obliterated and our souls go on to be reborn, to gain knowledge every time until we eventually become gods.

So I think that trees and whatnot have spirits, and think reincarnation is pretty cool basically.

But, of course, I could be entirely wrong and we could all just turn into dust and nothing could be special at all. Scientifically, that is much more likely. And I'm cool with that.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:
Oh my god that sparkler dick. :laffo:

Action_Bastard
Nov 26, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
^^^ haha dicks I know! animu dicks.

Noodles you are helping me understand my own middleschool/highschool experience.

Now I know why anime club was a congregating place for the kids who liked to shriek and watch the equivalent of American daytime TV, when I just wanted to watch Spirited Away and maybe Yohimbo if we could get to it.

Come to think of it I even remember some kids in 1st grade who did this stuff. Told me I couldn't join their game unless I could keep a secret that they were wolves. Half that group was even 'popular'. Maybe this stuff is universal.

Elite Einherjar
Dec 1, 2009
Ignore the Spergers, OP. I like your style of writing and the pictures are hilarious.

Aside from honestly believing in an imaginary friend that you borrowed from a TV show, I've always been irked by the ones these crazies pick. I've seen Sephiroth a lot, I've seen Heero Yuy before. I've read about Heath Ledger's Joker and Rorschach. It's always creeped me out that these girls seem to gravitate towards bad guy/sociopathic personalities as their one true love. I don't get the appeal. Does it have something to do with being the only person an evil dude cares for and thus being extra super special?

Did Denise assign anime characters to your love life like the Hojo chick did? Or were you just the quirky, chaste, supporting best friend to her life drama?

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Oh god, this thread. :stare:

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Oh good god, this is only gonna get worse isn't it. It's gonna be like watching a passenger train full of kids derailing in slow motion.

And yeah, your writing is fine, OP, don't change a thing.

(except maybe more pictures)

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Elite Einherjar posted:

Ignore the Spergers, OP. I like your style of writing and the pictures are hilarious.

Aside from honestly believing in an imaginary friend that you borrowed from a TV show, I've always been irked by the ones these crazies pick. I've seen Sephiroth a lot, I've seen Heero Yuy before. I've read about Heath Ledger's Joker and Rorschach. It's always creeped me out that these girls seem to gravitate towards bad guy/sociopathic personalities as their one true love. I don't get the appeal. Does it have something to do with being the only person an evil dude cares for and thus being extra super special?

Did Denise assign anime characters to your love life like the Hojo chick did? Or were you just the quirky, chaste, supporting best friend to her life drama?

I've mentioned this in the Fandom Secrets thread that spawned this one, but there's a few factors at work here.

One factor is "all he needs is somebody who understands." This gets applied to villains and the more sociopathic personalities. The most readily available example is Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter books and how fans perceive him. They often attribute imaginary wrongs to these people so that their behavior is justified -- Sephiroth was abused by Hojo, Draco had parents who never cared about him, etc. -- and then imagine that because they, with their high school problems, can totally understand the depth of the character's anguish, they're perfect together. Erik from Phantom of the Opera is also a great example because he has existing explanation for why he's crazy -- he's so sinfully ugly that no one can stand to look at him with his mask off, but fans go "well, I could! And I understand his pain!"

There's also a little bit of the special snowflake stuff going on.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

uglynoodles posted:

Oh, sure. I don't talk about it very much at all. I generally like to keep it to myself.

It's nothing too strange. I think that everything in the universe is connected by a force we can't see, and can't really understand. I think that gods might exist, but not in the traditional sense. I think that if they do, they might live on another plane of existence, like a different radio signal -- they do not age, sicken and die like we do because they aren't subject to those things and don't have bodies. They could influence things by way of inspiring ideas and thoughts in others, and perhaps in other intangible ways, but I don't think they could change water into wine and stuff like that. I think that after we die, our consciousness is obliterated and our souls go on to be reborn, to gain knowledge every time until we eventually become gods.

So I think that trees and whatnot have spirits, and think reincarnation is pretty cool basically.

But, of course, I could be entirely wrong and we could all just turn into dust and nothing could be special at all. Scientifically, that is much more likely. And I'm cool with that.

Have you looked into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animism and the related sorta stuff around it?

Excellent post. She sounds like a selfish little twat so far.

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?
You know, at first I kinda felt sorry for Denise, seeing as she had to retreat to her magical animu fantasy land to feel special. But this... :sotw: she's just a self-centered bitch. It's all about her, isn't it?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Peztopiary posted:

You know what's really interesting? This phenomena, this thing that people did (do?) where they are married to anime/videogame folks? That is a new thing. Probably a new thing that doesn't have a bunch of literature attached to it. Soulbonding, otherkin, all of that, it is a completely new thing. Nobody ever thought they were people from Titus Andronicus, Charlie Chaplin films, not even 80's stuff like G.I. Joe. This otherkin thing is 90's on up. What changed in the 90's that did this to people, that's the question I think is interesting.

The Brontė sisters (and their brother) were kind of like this, though. They constantly role-played a shared fantasy world for god knows how long. And made little tiny 1" books, filled with legible writing, for their miniature soldier boyfriends.

Mrs. Mahler
Mar 8, 2006
Why a duck?

uglynoodles posted:

Right, not strange at all. How did you come to believe in this/what shaped your beliefs? Is it Animism? Are you a fan of Princess Mononoke?

Also, why didn't she pluck her unibrow?

Mrs. Mahler fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 22, 2011

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.
In my head I am picturing Denise as a fat otaku girl I knew in passing in high school. I think all of us are.

Spitball Trough
Jul 25, 2011
This 31 flavors of awesome and I can't wait for more! The illustrations in particular are great, and this would make a wonderful indie comic!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I appreciate your sharing this given you don't usually talk about it. Because I don't usually talk about my experiences with my own "Denise" either, but holy gently caress if it wasn't the same cycle of just nodding and thinking 'ok, this is stupid but whatever' and not getting out of a broken, poisonous friendship because I was a stupid teenager/young adult. I feel better knowing I'm not alone in that past, and how 'normal' I really was, even as a socially backward mopey-nerd.

Apollodorus, I've never heard of the Brontės keeping those 'role-playing journals,' what's a good resource about that?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Yeah Man posted:

You know, at first I kinda felt sorry for Denise, seeing as she had to retreat to her magical animu fantasy land to feel special. But this... :sotw: she's just a self-centered bitch. It's all about her, isn't it?

Honestly her being a histrionic bitch is the kind of thing you should feel sorry for her for, because it's a coping mechanism, even if it is a really dislikeable one.

That said, I don't have any moral objections to a bunch of strangers on the internet laughing about how crazy she. Keep up the thread, keep up the drawings.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Uglynoodles, this thread is perfect. Perfect. I am really sorry that you felt some of your personal trauma has to come up for the purposes of the story though. I'm glad you're willing to share although it certainly wasn't expected of you. Uh, it's hard to communicate what I mean; I hope you understand.

Sir Prancelot posted:

Would this place be at all appropriate for sharing tales of my college anime club and how it went irreparably insane over the course of a single semester? It went from being a very laid back club for generic nerd interests to a coven of crazed 18 year old girls who believed they were a wolf pack in less than two months. It's got stalkers and monsters and all kinds of madness.

Oh my god, does this have to do with Wolf's Rain? Because when I was in high school there was this group of girls I was friends with and they all called each other by the names of characters from the show and tried to dress/speak like the character and would randomly howl and oh my god I had completely forgotten about this. :stare:

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Pick posted:

Oh my god, does this have to do with Wolf's Rain? Because when I was in high school there was this group of girls I was friends with and they all called each other by the names of characters from the show and tried to dress/speak like the character and would randomly howl and oh my god I had completely forgotten about this. :stare:

You likely repressed it.

And I don't mind when crazy animu fangirls act nutty about poo poo I don't like, but STAY AWAY FROM MY WOLF'S RAIN! I'd like to be able to keep some respect for that show! :argh:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I can't watch Gundam because giant robot animu leaves me cold and that's all Gundam has going for it. Can someone give me a six-word description of why Heero Yuy is terrible?

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

redmercer posted:

I can't watch Gundam because giant robot animu leaves me cold and that's all Gundam has going for it. Can someone give me a six-word description of why Heero Yuy is terrible?
Boring-rear end perfect soldier pretty boy.

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

Vicas posted:

Honestly her being a histrionic bitch is the kind of thing you should feel sorry for her for, because it's a coping mechanism, even if it is a really dislikeable one.

That said, I don't have any moral objections to a bunch of strangers on the internet laughing about how crazy she. Keep up the thread, keep up the drawings.

I dunno, it seems to me that even if you strip away her mental delusions and general insanity, Denise just seems like a selfish bitch who has to have the entire world revolve around her. Special sparkly animu guys follow her around because they're in love with her. She's a moon princess that can't allow anyone other than one or two friends into her little clique because that would "contaminate" her. She uses her friend's birthday party to get more attention towards herself. Honestly, I don't know what uglynoodles saw in Denise worth being friends with, much less within a 100 mile radius of her.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Yeah Man posted:

I dunno, it seems to me that even if you strip away her mental delusions and general insanity, Denise just seems like a selfish bitch who has to have the entire world revolve around her. Special sparkly animu guys follow her around because they're in love with her. She's a moon princess that can't allow anyone other than one or two friends into her little clique because that would "contaminate" her. She uses her friend's birthday party to get more attention towards herself. Honestly, I don't know what uglynoodles saw in Denise worth being friends with, much less within a 100 mile radius of her.

When you're a teenager you make a lot of dumb decisions. Who your friends are is one of these decisions. I didn't have any crazy moon princess girls as friends, but I sure had some lovely ones who had the same problems with always needing to be the center of attention.

I mean come on, uglynoodles was 13, 13-year-olds are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
This thread just makes me feel that I need to share a Something Awful success story:

When I was in elementary school, my friends and I all liked to pretend that we were animals. Wolves, griffins, dragons, horses, unicorns, pegasi, or some sort of Pokemon resembling such. I even made a really rudimentary griffin-like costume when I was 11. In middle school I really, really had a dragon thing going on where I drew them and collected figurines and such nonstop, and I liked to imagine that if my friends and myself were animals what kinds we'd be. Early on in high school I even drew some very anthropomorphic animals.

But then around the end of my freshman year I started browsing the SA forums (early 2004) when making fun of furries was still all the rage, and I was exposed to the worst that furry fandom had to offer in the name of crude humor. Fursuit yiffing, fat sweaty acne-pocked poor kids screaming out memes that were already unfunny as of 2001, otherkin, and fan art of all my favorite characters from my childhood being violated in ways that scarred my still-developing mind. That made me swear to myself that I'd never, *never* be one of those weirdos and to distance myself as much as possible. Any critter more humanoid than Tony the Tiger sets off warning bells. And no matter how cute I think those little hats at Hot Topic (the ones with the ears) are, I can't bring myself to buy one because maybe some furry will see it, assume I'm one of them and try to start up some incredibly bad conversation where they try to recruit me into their filthy fold.

I spent the rest of my high school education joking with my friends about horrible internet fetishes and yet in the end one of them became some kind of tiger-dog-donkey furry. She tried to argue that I am one too simply because I own a few stuffed animals. I'm a girl! Most of them were gifts! And just because I became a wildlife biologist doesn't mean I want to gently caress what I study. Jesus, I focus on ichthyology and fish just aren't sexy. That argument went very poorly for her.

Thanks Goons, for saving my reputation before it even began.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

TunaSpleen posted:

Hat

I actually have one of those hats. I picked it up at an anime convention a few years back. They're actually quite nice since the ear flaps hug your ears quite nicely and keep them warm.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
Denise insulted Kat's gift? What a bitch.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Sir Prancelot posted:

Boring-rear end perfect soldier pretty boy.

I haven't seen the show since I was like 10 but I think he's also really effeminate and really whiny.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Yikes!
I suppose you could trek back in her past and likely pick out the fact that her troubled upbringing resulted in her relying on escapism as a coping mechanism combined with the desire to be accepted in society so she assumes a grandiose personality in an attempt be seen as different and cool.

It does seem like that she was aware at some point that magical portals to anime-land were silly but as soon as she's gotten some confirmation that someone acknowledges it that gave her a mental link to reality.

Deathcake
Nov 16, 2009

get UPI!

Mrs. Mahler posted:

Right, not strange at all. How did you come to believe in this/what shaped your beliefs? Is it Animism? Are you a fan of Princess Mononoke?

Also, why didn't she pluck her unibrow?

Well that's not insulting at all, insinuating that someone's spiritual beliefs came from watching anime. Her beliefs aren't that 'strange' at all, if you research even the very surface of certain polytheistic religions. When I read her description, the first thought in my mind wasn't "Princess Mononoke." Maybe you need to lay off the anime, dude. (And if my sarcasm-radar is malfunctioning again, disregard this :( My internet decoding skills are not very good).

As for content, I was not disappointed with delivery of the second set of stories. And your art just goes perfectly. I can just picture this crazy girl flailing in frustration with her sparklers, drawing dong after dong in the air and wondering why her anime boyfriend doesn't burst through and bone her. I mean, did she REALLY think this was going to happen? That's a level of crazy/delusion I can't even grasp.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Yeah Man posted:

This. Yes, it is possible to be a lovely person even though you have a mental illness. At first when the OP said that it was just some girl that believed in invisible anime people it sounded like your typical lonely girl who overimagines things, but after she tried to distance the OP from Kat and act like everything is everyone else's fault, yup I think she isn't a very nice person.

Thanks for making this thread anyway OP, I like these little story threads.

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF

TunaSpleen posted:

Just because I became a wildlife biologist doesn't mean I want to gently caress what I study. Jesus, I focus on ichthyology and fish just aren't sexy.

Maybe you just need to meet hotter fish.

Ragman
Dec 25, 2010
I never got into anime. Not even stuff like Dragonball Z. Everyone I knew was always watching these cartoons with odd looking characters who responded disproportionately to things in the show by screaming Japanese phrases while their mouths grew to ten times the size of their head. Then everyone would scream while fireballs or giant swords or whatever emanated from their bodies.

Now you're telling me that someone actually managed to take it a step farther, and built a castle in the clouds where weird looking guys with pink hair are waiting to serenade them.

I just don't loving get it. I never will.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Apollodorus, I've never heard of the Brontės keeping those 'role-playing journals,' what's a good resource about that?

Oh, gosh, there's been a ton of research into this. The girls were infatuated with Wellington, for example. They drew and painted, creating a fantasy world with a little king in a high-necked Beau Brummel coat.

You might start with any of the books that discuss their artwork. There's quite a bit out there.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Just what exactly is it about anime that attracts the most horribly broken people ever? It's really fascinating. Someone needs to do a scientific study about this poo poo.

(this thread is amazing)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Just what exactly is it about anime that attracts the most horribly broken people ever? It's really fascinating. Someone needs to do a scientific study about this poo poo.

(this thread is amazing)

It's not just anime, it's just that anime fans are loud enough and exposed enough on the Internet. I spent two years in university in a small class with a girl who was absolutely obsessed with India and Sai Baba's teachings. Absolutely insufferable and probably as nuts as Denise and the FF7 house girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

(this thread is amazing)

Honestly, it's because the entire anime industry treats horribly broken people as their target audience. You could say all entertainment is escapism, but anime centres around particularly unhealthy escapism wherein people's flaws and social awkwardness is solved by some kind of magic intervention crap, or for the latter actually just what makes them a suuper kyoot and special person.

This thread is pretty drat entertaining so far, and I'm looking forward to the decent into further madness. Keep it up, uglynoodles!

EDIT: I'm hoping she made her own ridiculous comics in the style of my avatar that you might show us.

• Locked thread