Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

***THE THREAD IS CLOSED WHILE HOMESTUCK IS ON HIATUS***

I WILL OPEN A NEW ONE AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS, WHEN THE COMIC RESUMES

ANDREW HUSSIE presents a WEBCOMIC that could only inhabit THE INTERNET. ANIMATED SIMILITUDES, EUPHONIOUS SOUNDS, and INTERACTIVE MULTIMEDIA FLASH DOCUMENTS accompany adventure game narration. It's a delightful SMORGASBORD of humor, drama, and imagination written in mile-high neologisms like SYLLADEX, CRUXTRUDER, and CERAMIC PORKHOLLOW.

This year's adventure? HOMESTUCK.

Four children are destined to play SBURB, a video game with real life consequences and the power to IMMANENTIZE THE ESCHATON. You know, end the world?

OUR HEROES...

John Egbert, aka ectoBiologist on Pesterchum.

Rose Lalonde, aka tentacleTherapist.

Dave Strider, aka turntechGodhead.

Jade Harley, aka gardenGnostic.

---

And years in the future, but not too many, we may meet...

The Wayward Vagabond.

The Peregrine Mendicant.

---

And deep in a kingdom entrenched in darkness, we may meet...

Archagent Jack Noir.

---

You have entered a thread. What do you do?

> Read MSPAINT ADVENTURES.
> POST

Zoolooman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Please direct your attention to the following request. This thread will be about speculation on the upcoming end of act flash and your excitement about more Homestuck.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I am excited about more homestuck.

FAKE EDIT: I really hope they delve more into what Karkat described about "loving up" the frog breeding. As if it had been something more than just "half assing" it.
It's one of the things I'm most curious about.
And the end of act flash will most likely end right at the critical moment or a second before, because of all that tension and pacing thing. And hopefully Gamzee will get his redemption.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
I'm still curious as to what exactly this flash is going to consist of! I mean, he just worked on it for such a long time. It's gotta be something amazing. Unless it's not.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

zanmatto posted:

I'm still curious as to what exactly this flash is going to consist of! I mean, he just worked on it for such a long time. It's gotta be something amazing. Unless it's not.

Entire rest of the comic in flash extravaganza format.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I don't think I could possibly be more hyped up about the return of Homestuck than I am now, and I can't possibly imagine the enormity of work that AH has been putting into it.

And more than anything else, more Karkat. :3:

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Huh, I was just thinking how I was kinda starting to miss Homestuck, and apparently it's almost back. Cool. If I didn't have a paper due, I'd probably go through the archives again before the 25th.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Hey guys, during this hiatus, me and a whole bunch of folk related-to and not-so-related-to making Homestuck decided to do another damned Homestuck podcast.

Episode 2 (about three quarters of the way through), Noot, RJ from the music team and I had a really good discussion about the increasingly-story-relevant meta elements of Homestuck and how it's tied in with the narrative itself. We talked about it in regards to Lord English and what's going to happen in the next two acts. Please check it out because I think we did alright.

In regards to flash speculation, I'm 78% certain that the kid's and troll's plan to escape their sessions into the new reset human one while killing Jack at the same time is going to go horribly, horribly awry.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
My, how the time flies. Only four days left until the big end of Act 5 extravaganza? The music team has probably whipped up something incredibly special for it, too. Can't wait for the dazzling sensory splendor. :allears:

The only thing I'm concerned about is that Andrew Hussie just might top himself here, and the subsequent flashes will all be underwhelming by comparison. After all, he can't spend a month on all of them...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Filthy Haiku posted:

I don't think I could possibly be more hyped up about the return of Homestuck than I am now, and I can't possibly imagine the enormity of work that AH has been putting into it.

And more than anything else, more Karkat. :3:

I am still morbidly convinced that the blood on Jack's hand will somehow turn out to be Karkat's.

Hussie makes us love things only so he can take them away.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Oxxidation posted:

I am still morbidly convinced that the blood on Jack's hand will somehow turn out to be Karkat's.

Hussie makes us love things only so he can take them away.
It's more than likely going to be Jade's given she's right there with him. Your second sentence still applies. :(

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Oh yaaaay it's a Homestuck thread again :neckbeard:

I'm really curious to see what the Denizen Choice stuff is going to be about. I mean, we had John and Dave both talking about it in addition to Jade's deal to find the Genesis Frog. Basically I guess I'm saying I'm looking forward to actually seeing the denizens.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I just want to find out who Lord English is, drat.

I mean, I'm going to be kind of underwhelmed if he's a completely new character, what with all the "he is already here" stuff. I don't think he's going to be a random pseudo-lovecraftian monster because it would make the horrorterrors look like total redundant chumps in comparison.

Personally I think it's going to have something to do with Wayward Vagabond, the ring, the piece of uranium he ate, some time fuckery, and the green sun.

Or Vriska. It's Vriskas all the way down.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Woo, it's nearly back! I've been sitting on a bunch of speculation for weeks. Spec-dump time.

zanmatto posted:

Well, there seems to be a lot of ground to cover.

John's got to make the Scratch. It has to happen because Future Jack is set to destroy the Kids' universe at its inception anyway. Gotta save the universe by destroying it before the villain does... Biggest question is, how does he survive being at the epicentre of this whole thing? Presumably this ties into whatever Jade is planning.

Jade... well, there are plenty of gaps in our knowledge of what Jade's plan to save everyone is. Perhaps for the best. After all, from a metafiction point of view, the more you know about a plan in advance, the more likely it is to fail, because there's no point in seeing the same thing twice. We know it involves the Fourth Wall and the Yellow Yard, the Exiles in some capacity (since the Fourth Wall is trained on that Bec-head base - presumably this explains why WQ wants to blow up the bases), and a fully-upgraded Genesis Frog. Jade's also made a pact with Echidna to try and save not just the Kids, but also all the Denizens and Consorts and stuff. Present Jack may yet throw a spanner in the works, though.

Next, Rose, Dave and Aradia in Green Sun and Dream Bubble shenanigans. Rose was going to go off and sacrifice herself while blowing up the Green Sun, but she's been interrupted by Draconian Dignitary. Dave, who got "killed out" of that dream by DD, is flying off after them. There are a few outstanding issues concerning Rose: Scratch's declaration that she has a 50% probability of going godtier. Speculation: DD critically injures Rose, but Dave and Aradia arrive in time to get her to the "spare quest beds" in the middle of the moon*. Would dying in the explosion the Green Sun be Heroic, Just or neither? We may find out. There's also this business of Rose wanting Dave to give a message to John, conveniently interrupted by DD's arrival.

Then we have the Exiles: blowing up the bases seems to have some sort of connection to Jade's plan... but WV's trapped in one of them! And apparently too dumb to try wearing the ring. And asleep. Don't really have any ideas here, although

quote:

Personally I think it's going to have something to do with Wayward Vagabond, the ring, the piece of uranium he ate, some time fuckery, and the green sun.
may well be the case.

And then there's Karkat, Terezi, Kanaya, Sollux and Gamzee. Although as far as I know, their job now is "wait for Green Sun explosion, then head towards it". Something else could still come up though. e: *rereads* Oh. According to Aradia, Sollux is going to die. Forgot about that.

Finally: what will the new "Earth Universe" be like? Will it have a Doc Scratch, and, as a result, will it be considerably nastier than the old Earth? Where does Betty Crocker/the Troll Empress fit in to it all? She replaced Aradiancestor as Lord English's "handmaiden": will someone replace her?

______
* I can't quite remember, but I sure hope those spare quest beds are in the middle of Prospit and Derse's moons rather than Prospit and Derse themselves, or this all falls apart.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 22, 2011

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
How can Rose go godtier without a dreamself though? I believe that Scratch talking about going Godtier means that it'll happen to someone else (otherwise what's the use of bringing it up again?) but Rose has probably already ruined it for herself by dying the first time.

I think if anyone's going to go Godtier, it'll be Jade because she's technically still got her dreamself floating around and Jack needs to get red blood on his hand some way or another and Jade's, you know, right there. Someone's just going to need to ferry her off to her spare quest bed before she dies and then get the hell out before poo poo gets scratched.

Speculatin' sure is fun.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Roger Explosion posted:

How can Rose go godtier without a dreamself though?
She's got a dreamself. That is to say, she is one.

Granted, her original self is already dead. But that didn't stop Aradia.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Paul.Power posted:

She's got a dreamself. That is to say, she is one.

Granted, her original self is already dead. But that didn't stop Aradia.
But dream-Aradia had robo-Aradia at the same time and I see no robo-Rose. Yet.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I've been reading through homestuck again just in anticipation (nearly got to the current page woot!). It's funny that, even after reading through most of it again, I still understand nothing! Maybe the EoA flash will at least shed some light, or just be another wonderful piece of distraction to help me forget my own crappy life. :(

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
If this EoA flash isn't the most spectacular thing that has ever happened in the history of webcomics, the world will be destroyed by my massive Homestuck blueballs.

That said, Hussie is rarely known to disappoint!

North of Gravity
Jun 30, 2007

did y0u pr0gram this r0b0t t0 have feelings f0r y0u?
R0MANTIC FEELINGS???

D --> Is that not ok
I'm excited for the flash, but there's a post making the rounds on tumblr that warns non-Homestuck fans to just stay off of tumblr the day it comes out, because no one will be able to shut up about it. I'm thinking of following that advice, because the fandom really drives me crazy at times. :(

That said, I'm really curious as to what dead Vriska and John are up to as well.

Cracky
Feb 11, 2007

are you one of those guys who likes big fatties and the big fatties have got big fatty dildos in their nose and they barf and they barf and its so gross.
Bought an avatar.
Having dreams about this flash.
All very bad signs.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Desumaytah posted:

I just want to find out who Lord English is, drat.

I mean, I'm going to be kind of underwhelmed if he's a completely new character, what with all the "he is already here" stuff. I don't think he's going to be a random pseudo-lovecraftian monster because it would make the horrorterrors look like total redundant chumps in comparison.

Or Vriska. It's Vriskas all the way down.

He is us. The fans. The ancestors surrendered their agency to LE, and so were turned into exactly the kind of people that make for great fanfiction and shipping, despite the fact that it ruined their lives. And LE will do it again and again, for every universe that is born, forcing each one to bend to his desire for sick fetishistic fantasy.

:unsmigghh:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Oh boy the EoA is finally almost here!

Also I'm probably not going to repost the goddamn repository again unless you all really want me to.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
The flash is probably going to be cool.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I'm really looking forward to the soundtrack. Homestuck's music team is really awesome and I can't wait to see what they came up with (blindly based on bare instructions from Hussie).

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
The flash is actually going to be act 6.

Like, all of it. At once.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Almost there almost there almost there

:dance: :dance: :dance:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Andrew Hussie's Twitter posted:

If you believe I should just post it pre-25th, consider:

1) There's still a lot of flash debugging to sort out.

2) I could not actually host this file right now if I wanted to. Hosting solution currently in development.

Does point one mean this will be an interactive flash? I imagine that making sure a regular flash animation plays right would not require multiple days of debugging. Could he mean there are problems in the current version of Flash that are causing problems?

As for the second point, he's used Newgrounds to redirect traffic that would have killed his own server. Does Newgrounds have an upper limit in file size that this file would exceed?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

A good poster posted:

Does point one mean this will be an interactive flash? I imagine that making sure a regular flash animation plays right would not require multiple days of debugging. Could he mean there are problems in the current version of Flash that are causing problems?

As for the second point, he's used Newgrounds to redirect traffic that would have killed his own server. Does Newgrounds have an upper limit in file size that this file would exceed?

I think if you have a Newgrounds account you can upload like 500 MB or so onto your personal file storage bin. I don't think a Flash animation would be bigger than that unless you're absolutely insane* or super pro**

*Like Andrew Hussie

**Also like Andrew Hussie

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

A good poster posted:

I could see it as a partially interactive flash sort of like how you have to press a button during the Terezi vs. Vriska scratched flash, or during Return to the Core where part of it is interactive and part of it is animated.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
is there a synopsis of all the crap that happened after you first see the grey zodiac people, because that's where I stopped. I couldn't handle the addition of 15 new characters all at once, and everyone's chat messages and whatnot.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ChaosTheory posted:

is there a synopsis of all the crap that happened after you first see the grey zodiac people, because that's where I stopped. I couldn't handle the addition of 15 new characters all at once, and everyone's chat messages and whatnot.

Ah, how I've missed these posts.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug

Chunky12345 posted:

Ah, how I've missed these posts.

I should have known that I would never get a straight answer about this.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

ChaosTheory posted:

There's some summary of it in the MSPA archives but what it comes down to:

The zodiac people are trolls, an alien race from another session of Sburb (Sgrub). When they played they rushed through the game and unconsciously hosed everything up through not playing it right -- powergaming and cheating at it instead of maturing as Sburb intends its players to. This is the point of Act 5.1, you can probably skip to the beginning of 5.2 and lose little except knowledge of the individual trolls, most of which are extraneous characters that don't do much.

There's a Firefox addon somewhere to remove the weird chat quirks and make trolltext into normal text, which might help get through it if you need to. Really, I'd advocate just reading synopses of which troll is which and picking the story back up at 5.2. The trolls are still around but that's when stuff with the kids starts moving again and all you really need to know about 5.1 is it established that the trolls played the game and created a new universe (the human universe), but couldn't claim the reward because an angry demon appeared and blew said reward up.

You can come back to 5.1 later, it might be easier to read then. A lot of people have said that they found 5.1 more tolerable after reading 5.2.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I was legitimately uncertain at times during this hiatus that things would ever get underway again.

The skepticism may be unwarranted, but I still wonder if Hussie has it in him to successfully conclude this massive comic undertaking he has going here. Guess we'll get a hint of it next week.

Edit: I never realized that Aradia went god-tier with her real-self dead just by having her dream-self die on her quest bed. Kind of important, considering both Derse kids are in the same situation now, although who knows how Aradia's ghost deal influenced that.

Also,

ChaosTheory posted:

I should have known that I would never get a straight answer about this.

You're asking for a synopsis of what covers roughly half of the entire story by volume and three quarters of the characters. Whole cosmologies have been built up and torn down since the trolls showed up. People might be able to give you a hand, but this is exactly NOT the sort of series where you can just jump in half way and expect to be able to follow what's going on in any meaningful way. If there is such a synopsis, I'd be damned impressed by it.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 23, 2011

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Well we got partway into writing one but

Ketzal
Feb 19, 2011

President of Hell
Grimey Drawer
Twitter update.

quote:

100%

quote:

it still doesn't work right for probably 10 to 20% of all computers out there. those people will be angry if i don't fix it.

Only three more days! :toot:

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
100%! Just needs to sort out flash debugging :3

Also the fervour on Tumblr has reached the point where my friend posted a "leak" of the music team's work for the EOA5 music that actually just "rear end 'N Titties" mashed up with Sburban Jungle and it got a whole mess of people reblogging it like "I DON'T WANT TO SPOIL BUT HERE EVERYONE" and a lot of really angry posts about disrespecting the music team by posting their work and it was great.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

FutureSushi posted:

Also the fervour on Tumblr has reached the point where my friend posted a "leak" of the music team's work for the EOA5 music that actually just "rear end 'N Titties" mashed up with Sburban Jungle and it got a whole mess of people reblogging it like "I DON'T WANT TO SPOIL BUT HERE EVERYONE" and a lot of really angry posts about disrespecting the music team by posting their work and it was great.

You say this, and you don't post a link to that mashup? For shame. :colbert:

e: also, HUSSIE YOU loving TEASE :arghfist::byodood:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

FutureSushi posted:

100%! Just needs to sort out flash debugging :3

I know Radiation did a mashup thing with some anime song while the hiatus was on, and got a question or two like "IS THIS THE EOA5 FLASH MUSIC" and his response was "what in the gently caress possibly gave you that idea, jesus."

I'm going to have to go look for the mashup you're talking about now. Homestuck fans in their native habitat are pretty hilarious to watch :allears: