Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dolash posted:

Not to mention it also allows a chance to tie up arcs, give characters proper sendoffs, resolve personal conflicts, see everyone at their maximum fighting potential, and just generally take all the strong characters we've seen built up have their last chance to totally explode. Homestuck is often a series about build-up, and having as many characters and forces applied to the grand conclusion (much as it was in Problem Sleuth) will only make the payoff all the greater.

Not to mention the final boss fight in Problem Sleuth- in a way- basically was a giant, non-stop afterlife breakout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FaceTime posted:

I don't think tumblr will be the only thing that will implode tomorrow. I'm sure the explosion that will be several thousand computers trying to access the server the EoA flash is on will be seen from space! :stare: This puts me in a kind of dilemma. On one hand I know that the flash will be put online after work for me so I'll be able to watch it when I get home. On the other hand will his web host cope?

Edit: oh for crying out loud! Top of the page again?!

Yeah, this thread is probably going to gain like 100 pages overnight. The worst part about that? I can't decide if I'm actually exaggerating there. It might legitimately gain 100 pages.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
There is no way to know when he's posting it beyond a general "tomorrow" which could mean anywhere from midnight EST to 11:59 EST tomorrow night.

Just keep the notifier up or glance at the amount of posts in this thread as you go about your general business. You'll know.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Talorat posted:

I'm pretty sure he makes a decent of money off of merchandising. You should never underestimate how much dough that stuff can bring in. It wouldn't surprise me if this hobby was pulling in some decent cash for him.

Edit: Any word on when the flash will be published tomorrow? Or is he going for a midnight release.

Probably not midnight. Maybe not tomorrow.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Regy Rusty posted:

Well that does seem a reasonable date for Andrew to shoot for if he plans to wrap this up. But I'm actually just projecting based upon how long things tend to take. Act 6 is intended to be shorter than the monstrosity that's Act 5, but considering that it's been going for 16 months, there is a wide range that could qualify as shorter. Add that to the fact that things have always taken longer than Andrew expects them to I'd say it's probably impossible to predict how long this still has to go.

Especially since we as readers don't even have a clear idea yet of what needs to happen over the course of Act 6.

Let's be honest here, it's entirely possible- and not unreasonable- for Act 6 to be longer than Act 5 was. Remember when Hivebent was still going, and Andrew mentioned it was originally going to last a month or so? Ac

gently caress WHAT I WAS SAYING. Update.

Oh god, the blueballs

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Alabaster White posted:

"This animation will not run on this computer" :qq:

I got that error partway through. :negative:

EDIT: Oh, and of course newgrounds is down now. gently caress.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Chunky12345 posted:

Newgrounds servers down for maintenance! :pseudo:

Their maintenance page is horrible. loving loud-rear end sound-effects, why

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I like that theory for entirely selfish reasons (I want Vriska alive again.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ActionZero posted:

This pretty much covers my thoughts on that theory.

So I've got to say I've seen a lot of people on the internet being apparently shocked at the revelation that Doc Scratch lies and this confuses me a little. I had always been working under the assumption that he was lying lots of the time and that it would be revealed in some dramatic way somehow. I mean god, all that time saying "No I'm not creepy," was surely enough of a give away.

That could just be a lack of self-awareness. :v:

But yeah, Doc Scratch even mostly admitted to lying. The thing is, he lies by omission. You have to phrase your questions very specifically to get a good answer out of him, otherwise there is no point and you're more likely to get, well, misled.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Honestly, I doubt Rose and Dave have anything to do with Lord English. They were covered in that green stuff because they were just inside the Green Sun.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Idunn posted:

I know, but quite a few people seemed to think that coming out of the Green Sun would make them evil. I disagree though.

That is a pretty silly thing to think.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FebrezeNinja posted:

I like the idea, but where does it say that about the coinflip? From what I remember Vriska's Thief luck meant it could only land on her side, and the Vriska-Jack battle happened in Terezi's Seer prediction of her decision to not kill. Did that decision actually create a Beta?

Yes, it did. Remember, every decision creates an alternate timeline, and the alpha timeline is effectively defined by people making the correct choices.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FebrezeNinja posted:

Decision was maybe the wrong word for me there. I was figuring that Terezi's power, predicting the outcomes of such things, would generally prevent the creation of betas.

Killing or not killing Vriska was still a decision, she just used her powers to make it a calculated one. At least, that's how I see it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

YggiDee posted:

How many readers does MSPA have, anyway? I mean, I imagine it has to be a lot to melt Newgrounds in under four minutes, but how much is a lot in internet/webcomic terms? 50,000 hits? 500,000 hits?

Andrew Hussie's Tumblr post on the subject before he posted it suggested Newgrounds would be hit by two million near-simultaneous hits.

EDIT: 1.2 million is the actual number, huh? Well, I guess Hussie was ballparking it a little bit, but yeah. Still a ton of people.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 26, 2011

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Burnings87 posted:

Since there's been all the talk about Aradia being evil, I've been thinking about various things involving her, and one point was Scrath's conversation with Rose. He mentioned two ways to go God Tier, and we've seen each of our six God Tiers go one of two ways.

1) Dying as your waking self on the quest bed on your planet, and resurrecting as your dreamself.

2) Being consumed by Green Sun energy as your dreamself on the quest bed in your dream world's.

Now it's also a small sample, with only three kids dying the second way, and they just happen to involve the Green Sun. Not only that, but Prospit dreamers have only gone first way, and Derse dreamers have only gone the second way. Could the split be between dream planets as well? Granted the only time we've seen a someone try the other choice was Dave, who couldn't. We also had Scratch reference Rose in that conversation to try it, but who could say if he was lying or just knew she wouldn't do it.

You're being too specific with the second option. Yes, they were all "consumed" by Green Sun energy, but that same energy (in Aradia's case) was an attack. What happened to Aradia was simple: her dreamself was comatose on a quest bed inside Derse. Jack destroyed Derse, her dreamself died. As her dreamself died on a quest bed, Aradia was reborn as a God Tier.

I presume what happened to Dave and Rose is that they died on their quest beds because they happened to be standing on their quest beds when a sun spawned on top of them. This, naturally, killed them.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Starmaker posted:

What about Rose? Everything she has done so far is just about breaking the game and talking to horrorterrors. She watches the other kids and stuff, but her "seeing" didn't seem to go much into the future. Vriska, as the Thief of Light, was apparently able to steal luck, so there's some precedent for light = luck. So what will Rose see? The... outcome of coin flips? What's the "lighty" thing going to be?

Vriska's ability was actually to manipulate fortune. It's not that she's "lucky," it's that she can basically rig the game. If there's a coin flip, she can use her powers to make it flip the way she wants it every time, same with, say, a die roll.

Likewise, Rose's ability would be able to "see" fortune, which I don't see as honestly being too different from Terezi's power. She would, effectively, be a fortune teller.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Starmaker posted:

Right, that's what I meant with Vriska. And yeah, I was actually thinking that with Rose, but then why does she need to be god tier, when Terezi could do that normally? Higher levels, bred for the game, etc. but shouldn't Rose have something extra for being a god?

She almost certainly does have something "extra" for being god tier. The thing is, we don't know exactly what that extra thing is yet.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'd say creating the Green Sun on a mission to destroy it is a pretty drat good way for a plan to go awry. Things have gone horribly wrong, you don't need to inject players going villain to make it worse.

Bec Noir may still be unstoppable, for all we know. PM? might not be capable of bringing him down.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
...You were expecting worse than the exact opposite of their goal happening? I mean, sure, it's reasonable to expect the plan to go horribly wrong, but them going god tier aside, it went horribly wrong in about as terrible way as possible.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
There's "the sun is OK at the end of it all" and then there's "being the origin of the problem in the first place."

They are very different things. Yes, there is a silver lining, no, that doesn't mean the plan didn't go really horribly wrong.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Well Manicured Man posted:

What I've learned from EOA5 is that Andrew Hussie is not only a master storyteller and a guy who really, really, really knows his way around colors, he's also an incredible director and (visual) composer. As far as animation goes there's nothing too groundbreaking about the EOA5 flash--motion tweening, stretching, and scaling, generally--but when it comes to him setting a scene, juxtaposing elements, etc, he can do it, and do it perfectly. This is true of pretty much all of the flashes in Homestuck but it stood out to me the most here.

I want to see Hussie direct some sort of film someday.

Honestly, I'd rather see what he could do if he really buckled down and learned how to animate. If he can do things this great with simple tools, I can't even imagine how great his work would be if he really knew his poo poo and could work with a better animation program.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Well Manicured Man posted:

Didn't Hussie pretty much have to learn everything about Flash once he started Homestuck?

Maybe come next project he'll start learning something else. He will be unstoppable.

Pretty much, but as you said, he mostly uses really simple tools. I'm trying to imagine a work where he uses more complicated things and really pushes the boundaries beyond the sheer length of the project.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dolash posted:

So, be honest...

Who's started checking the site regularly for updates since the flash?

I don't even know if I expect to find any it's just sort of a reflex.

A little, but not much. I'd be checking it every five minutes or so if I didn't have that MSPA notifier program that checks the website for me.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Talorat posted:

Is that what Hussie refers to as HORRIBLE BULLSHIT in this comic?

Nah, that's just an RSS program.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pleasant Friend posted:

Yeah, that what I was talking about with misdirection. The logo strongly implies she's Betty Crocker, but at the end of the day it doesn’t prove anything. (Also strange that there is troll Betty Crocker on Alternia already.)
The alien part is harder to get around, but not impossible, maybe she was Snowman or something.

The Kids' Black Queen is dead. As is Snowman.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pleasant Friend posted:

Well obviously, but it’s not like she was dead all her life.

No, but there is nothing to suggest she ever left the troll universe.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dolash posted:

You might want to get ready to be at least a little furious, since I'm willing to put down cash money that the story's going to end with the kids living Happily Ever After on Earth. Not entirely sure how they make it to Earth, but it'll happen. John's a hero, and heroes save the Earth. It's simple science.

Ah, I think you misunderstood a little bit. He's suggesting that the scratched session being our Earth would be cliche.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pleasant Friend posted:

Hmm, didn't think much about that, I just assumed Lord English was in every universe, I have the vaguest memories of reading something like that, but no way I'd ever be able to find it. But beyond running the ~ath code I don't think there are any solid things that have to happen for Lord English to enter a universe.

He doesn't enter a universe until its destruction. Apparently, the universe must also be adequately prepared for his entry as well, hence the necessity of Doc Scratch.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pleasant Friend posted:

I don't think Doc Scratch is a necessity for Lord English to enter a universe, it does say that Lord English ensures his own creation personally. But who knows, maybe Lord English wasn’t in the kids universe. It's certanly a possibility.

Well, English can't interact with a universe (directly, anyways) prior to his entry, and there are clearly things that need to be done, else he wouldn't need in-universe agents to prepare the universe for his arrival. It may not require Doc Scratch specifically, but I don't think English was ever in the Kids' universe prior to the Scratch. He almost definitely is in the post-Scratch universe.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

YggiDee posted:

Isn't that the whole point of the phrase "He's already here"?

Well, turns out He is Already Here mostly just referred to Bec Noir, but yeah.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Oxxidation posted:

Ahahaha, I just realized. John's trip through the fourth wall with Jade is the first time he's ever met her in person. Talk about a first impression.

"Hello John! Don't worry, I just teleported you across the universe. And I died but came back to life and also I am part dog. Now let's fly through a magic science dimension window while I juggle planets bark bark bark"

The best part about that, honestly, is that probably isn't even the weirdest thing she's done from his standpoint.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

creationist believer posted:

As silly as I think the "Aradia is LE's puppet" speculation is, here's a point in its favor I just thought of. It would be an explanation as to why Scratch involved himself in the Vriska paralyzing Tavros and killing Aradia. I don't think we have an exact reason for that yet, but he was very insistent that Vriska should kill Aradia. That event led to Aradia going God Tier and arriving at the Green Sun shortly before Rose and Dave emerged from it. Even if Aradia isn't LE's puppet, it seems like Scratch is certainly responsible for arranging to have those 3 there at that time.

Aradia was also extremely willing to do whatever the ghost voices asked her to do when she was dead, which pretty directly lead to the Black Queen's exile. I'd say that alone would be reason enough for Scratch to want Vriska to kill Aradia. Anything that she did afterwards is honestly more a bonus than anything else.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gabriel Pope posted:

Exactly. Like Starmaker points out, Lord English has, by definition, already won. So beating Lord English is likely going to involve breaking a few definitions.

Early on Andrew swore up and down that Homestuck would not end in a repeat of the DMK fight from Problem Sleuth. I think the finale may be more of a riddle (perhaps the Ultimate Riddle?) than a high-power slugging match.

Well, this brings us back to Jade. She brought her universe frog with her when she entered the new universe. It's not a complete victory for Lord English yet. He has the two current universes, but there is that future universe to consider, and from the sounds of things she did it right, unlike the trolls. If they can defeat- hell, stave off- Lord English long enough to finish the game, he won't have won.

Or in other words, he's won the battle, but not the war.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gabriel Pope posted:

There's no such thing as "stalling" Lord English. The instant they step foot into a new universe Lord English will have already won or lost.

It's possible that they will thwart Lord English altogether and save the new universe from LE outright, but it would probably be more dramatically interesting if they go head to head with English and take him out in a universe where he'd already won. I think the foreshadowing tends to point in that direction too.

I must not have been clear. When I said "stave off" I meant they didn't need to defeat LE outright, merely finish the new universe and enter it (without him following.)

I did not mean they needed to stall him from entering the universe, since you're right; if he ever enters the universe, he wins.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Some Strange Flea posted:

He does?

It seemed to me like the purpose of Earth was to spawn the session that creates the Green Sun. I remember Lord English being "already here" on Alternia, but did he ever make it to Earth?

Here are some quotes from his conversation with Rose:

Referring neither to "where you are" or "where you came from", but "where I am".
But is the reverse necessarily true?

It would be pretty funny if the source of all of paradox space's misfortune came out of a session from a universe where Lord English wasn't. Funny in the "haa haa hee hee hoo hoo" sense.

He has the troll universe for the reasons you quoted. I don't have anything specific really proving otherwise, but as the Kids' universe has been Scratched, it is not unreasonable to think that the post-Scratch Kids' universe was properly prepared for Lord English's entry (and it does have its own complete alternate history assuming the Scratch finished, which it should have), and well, Red Miles destroyed the Kids' universe, which is the key for his entry.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Regy Rusty posted:

The mother of all monsters is Echidna. So what that means is that the previous session trolls consulted their denizen Echidna who helped them scratch their session.

Just like the Echidna from the kids' session did.

(In case you're unfamiliar with the greek mythology, here's where the "mother of all monsters" thing comes from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echidna_%28mythology%29

I forget offhand, but didn't Echidna merely help Jade find the frog? I don't recall her being involved in the scratch process. On top of that, the deal Echidna made with Jade was that she (and the other Denizens) be brought with, which Jade did do (brought the four kids' planets and Skaia along with her.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DaveKap posted:

This has as much significance as the 8-player session everyone keeps bringing up. It's this tiny thing that we've seen more than once (the 8-player session was very specifically shown in a pile of Doc's album photos) and bothers the everliving gently caress out of me. That satellite mocks me, insisting on having significance whilst having no mention at all. Even worse, the satellite shows up on every single panel the pink moon shows up on except [S] Seer: Ascend. where it very specifically does not show up on the pink moon whilst we are watching an ancestor fight. I can only assume this means that the satellite only shows up post-troll-scratch and if we end up seeing the kids post-scratch session, I wonder if we'll suddenly notice a new satellite on Earth's moon.

Yeah, seriously, nothing else in this comic has bugged me as much as that freakin' satellite on the pink moon.

To add to Supercar's statement, this actually just means that the satellite was added after the ancestor fights happened. I'd say it probably has something to do with all the adult trolls being sent off to war. Maybe that's just where the Condesce lived before being sent off on a mission for English.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

KoB posted:

She wasn't Lord English's servant until long after the troll session. Either she built it before leaving to conquer the galaxy or it was built while she was gone.

I suppose she did leave with the rest of the adult trolls, huh.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

President Ark posted:

It was a super tiny detail, yes. There's a diagram in the lab Rose goes into waaaaay back in act (2?) showing an 8-player session.

It did, however, reappear in Scratch's scrapbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Memphis Raines posted:

He's gonna be pretty upset, for sure. Karkat laid it out on the line for him and made him admit if he had feelings for vriska, and he said he did. Then Karkat said he wouldn't tell him yet because he needed him to be able to think straight.

At least I hope he gets upset, because I am far too emotionally invested in the relationship between those 2 characters. :ohdear:

The only thing that makes me hesitant to think he'd have a strong reaction is, well, he hasn't really had a strong negative reaction to anything real (his reaction to Dad's death was very calm, but I guess it might be the timing that's loving with him. Maybe this time would be different?)