Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

zanmatto posted:

I'm still curious as to what exactly this flash is going to consist of! I mean, he just worked on it for such a long time. It's gotta be something amazing. Unless it's not.

Entire rest of the comic in flash extravaganza format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

Okay, so far in these recaps Andrew has pointed out that Lord English:

-is basically a pimp
-is associated with the kids' memories somehow
-is a master of time

D... Dave? :ohdear:

(still pretty sure LE is his own independent character and not something that an existing character "becomes" though)

Snoop Dogg. It's Snoop Dogg.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

My only nitpick with the flash is I really don't like the head-on view of Jade's face we get, it looks really goofy/amateurish in the middle of such a cool/important moment. Like the guy from El Goonish Shive contributed art.

Other than that, it was great of course!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

President Ark posted:

I'm rereading Homestuck and I'm in act 5 and I noticed a huge plot hole that will blow this poo poo wide open.

How does Vriska know Italian? :downs:

It's Itrollian. Not to be confused with iTrollian.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Actually, she never made it. Not enough grist.
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005065

Can I ask where the whole thing with Karkat and the pants came from? I think I may have missed it when it first started being mentioned and I don't really get it.

In the panel where the trolls are all looking at Gamzee showing up, Hussie only drew Karkat's body one shade, the same grey colour as his pants. Fandom seized on this and started drawing fanart, and so Tall Pants Karkat was born!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

OurLivesOnline posted:

The tornados he used in Cascade seemed to be a fraymotif, and Karkat did tell him to go get prepared for the Scratch since it was going to be the game going all out on him. Hopefully he bought them.

He was just doing the windy thing on the lava, I thought. Honestly fraymotifs probably aren't the biggest deal ever since Dave need(ed) all the ones he has just to not look like a total scrub compared to god tier John.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I absolutely loved Act 5.1 as it came out and was pretty much riding the hype wave to troll city. I don't know if you guys remember but Hivebent was insanely fast in terms of updates per day and, at the time, people were really really excited about it. It was cool! I actually feel like 5.1 is responsible for sort of kicking off the Homestuck fandom as a Big Thing at cons and 'cross the internet, which to me is good and cool.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What annoyed me about Hivebent was that it was already slow moving, with a massive amount of info dump about weird alien romance, and then when it was almost over, Hussie threw a fit about people complaining and repeated a bunch of poo poo while having his author avatar yell "HAHAHA LOOK HOW STUPID YOU ALL ARE LOOK WHAT I CAN DO"

Almost gave the comic up right there.

It was literally the fastest the comic's ever been, he was averaging like nine new pages a day or something and the storytelling was super compressed. I mean, you may not have been interested in what was going on in it, but in terms of both pace and schedule Hivebent was faster than the comic's ever been before or since.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

YF-23 posted:

Apologies in advance, but

The experimental format has absolutely nothing to do with the volume, density, and quality of the words involved. Now could we please stop this and
you know
just kind of
maybe
perhaps
concede that we are allowed to have different opinions
perhaps realise that what turns us on doesn't turn others on
maybe understand that others can dislike what we might like
even admit there is no objective measure of quality and it whole depends on each independent reader how good they might perceive Homestuck to be and that's totally fair and ok

Alright, but the implication that more words = worse is really annoying and should stop being bandied about as stylistic gospel by people who've never published work in their life. I don't think Hussie's writing is the best ever, but I recognise what he's doing with the fluffy, verbose style, and comparing him to Tim Buckley as if they're united in the same technical mistake is childish.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

SoupyTwist posted:

Chaucher's Canterbury Tales has fart jokes in it.

Everything has fuckin' fart jokes. Elizabethan drama is absolutely rife with saucy tooting.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dolash posted:

I know (hope) we're past the literary comparison throwdown, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Shakespeare was considered downright trashy in his day. I mean, theater was pretty persecuted in Puritan England, there's a reason they had to build them alongside the bordellos just outside the city limits.

Not downright trashy, but not really like, haute couture I guess. He had mass appeal but the thing is like, English was still in the throes of artistic puberty and we didn't consider the study of English literature to be like, a thing. The Queen liked him though, you know? It's a really interesting question because the 16th through 17th centuries are more than any other time the period where English was very much caught between its past as an agent of workaday culture and informal language, and its future as a respected artistic medium. You could in a more direct (and only dubiously correct) sense stick a pin in Paradise Lost and say, "There", but Shakespeare despite being eighty years or so behind very much has a place in that dialectic too. In fact his plays embody it - it's very famously known and very true that he has two broad tones for his characters, one rarefied and one bawdy, and although of course these two intermingle it's usually easy to immediately spot which character is written to the spoken culture of the groundlings and which is written to the people with an interest in artistic English.

Imagine like a rapper with clever, intricate lyrics, might be a good analogy. Some people are gonna say that's art, others will say it's just pop culture. People listening to it can probably find both or either and enjoy both or either.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

No, I don't think so. Future Gamzee there was only 42 minutes ahead, which would put him at around the 2:30 mark on the countdown. He also makes reference to meeting some friends, being Equius and Nepeta most likely.

It really reinforces just how much all the stuff that went down is Karkat's fault. If he had just listened to Gamzee and found him right away to do the shoosh-pap moirail thing he would've saved Equius and Nepeta, stopped Gamzee from manipulating Terezi into fighting Vriska and stopped him from voodoo-chuckling John and Dave.

Karkat's honestly a pretty terrible leader.

Think of it this way: there are dozens if not hundreds of timelines in which Karkat, when talking to past Gamzee and Eridan, actually said "hey, assholes, you're going to be assholes, don't" and they took him seriously and didn't. Or timelines when he fixed Gamzee earlier! They're all doomed though, because only the timeline in which Gamzee does those chucklevoodoos on his rampage creates Cal - Doc Scratch - Lord English. Gamzee going on his rampage is directly necessary for the alpha timeline to work. Karkat literally can't help but fail, and quite probably a bunch of alternate Karkats pulled their pants up to their armpits and got poo poo done, and doomed their timelines as a result.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

gowb posted:

I must have missed the part where Karkat played that role for the trolls! Or it hasn't been revealed yet. I kinda hate all the time travel parts of this story. Except for the powers of the Green Gang, which were hilarious.

He mentions it waaay back when John is doing it himself, but you can actually see him doing it in [S] Past Karkat: Wake Up. There's a lot of extra stuff to find in that flash, if you walk around as Karkat you can find the ectobiology lab and he has a (very brief) flashback to creating himself and his friends.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tollymain posted:

So, who do you think is at that terminal with the alternian font? I really want to know what's going on there :crossarms:

Maybe instead of this session's Skaians being carapace people playing chess, they're trolls playing foursquare.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Slime posted:

Well let's see. John and Jade looks very similar because they are both the ectobiological children of Nanna and Grandpa. Who in the scratched universe are presumably the ectobiological children of John and Jade.

So I guess the answer I'll go with is inbreeding.

I imagine they're still ecto-clones of themselves, and their guardians/grandparents are their ectobiological children. That seems most likely anyway!

e: it seems likely as well that Heart and Mind will be amongst the Scratched titles what with the hoodies (which in the store are listed, "as worn by ????, the ???? of Mind/Heart"), which leaves Heart/Mind/Time/Space. But then there's the Life and Hope drops in the new intros so who knows!

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 12, 2011

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Wow. Just read an entire blog about somebody reading the entirety of Homestuck over the course of 2 months or so. They started out basically roasting it. And then changed their mind once the story got underway. It's a hilarious read, but it's also kind of nostalgic. I can remember going through a lot of this stuff. It's been a hell of a ride, hasn't it?

http://what-the-gently caress-is-homestuck.tumblr.com/how

E:VVVVVVV I KNOW. I think they've still got a few things confused, so somebody buy that woman a membership so we can motherfucking enlighten her.

God, this woman is the opposite of funny. Her "roast" bit at the start is just groan-inducingly petulant.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

Really? I just read through the whole thing and it was pretty interesting to see how they got hooked. The beginning read to me like someone coming into Homestuck with the wrong impression, thinking like the people who swear to never read Twilight because they think it's loving retarded and "it's just loving sparkly vampires what else would I ever want to know". Except you know, what most people hear about homestuck are all the in-jokes which is what turns them off and unlike Twilight there's usually more to it than what you can hear in passing.

It was a pretty good read for me at least. She caught stuff I never did when I first anyway.

Kind of interesting to read I agree, but her jokes are hideously stupidly hideously awful, is what I would say. They're like the textbook example of someone who has image macros instead of a sense of humour.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

If you got high, and fell asleep, would your dreamself be high?

Forget about how the new kids got Lil' Cal and the other artifacts, this is what we need to be speculating on.

Jade seemed kind of high when she was typing while dreaming, so your dreamself would probably be super high. The question is though, how high would it even have to be?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

rotinaj posted:

I tried reading Homestuck and got up to the part where the third character, the "Cool" one, was freaking out over puppets, then lost my place.

How loving long is Homestuck? I don't know if I have it in me to try to get all the way back to that point, then get to the end here if it's as titanic as I worry it is.

It's the longest existing webcomic I think. Over 6000 pages.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

So what you're saying is fedorafreak and pipefan413 were both different instances of Dad?

Because that would be amazingly perfect.

fedorafreak is way too emotionally distant to be Dad. Dad is a loving, nay, doting presence in John's life; fedorafreak's dialogue mostly consists of clinical talk about trousers.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dolash posted:

Pretty sure she still has to create them and send them back on meteors, it's just the case that we don't know what order they'll be created in or how they'll be sent back. Remember how Karkat had to create all the grubs and send them back, even though he was in a Scratched session himself?

Although it'd be a pretty funny inversion of the "So I have to marry Rose?" stuff if Jane and Jake were like "So we're actually our grandparents' parents?"

Well, the glitch indicating the presence of LE in the original ancestors' game was that there was no ectobiology session - they existed but had no point of origin. The ancestors-as-kids were created in the Scratched session by Karkat and sent back in duplicate, once to post-scratch Alternia, and once to pre-scratch Alternia. Presumably the Skaia portals do some scratch-related trickery with meteors to facilitate this.

Scratch describes this as Lord English's "calling card". As such it seems a safe bet (especially since the new kids are apparently identical to the cloned-from-themselves guardians) that the babies John created pre-scratch were simply sent back in duplicate, with one set arriving at post-scratch Earth on a reshuffled timeframe from before.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dolash posted:

Wait, they didn't? I guess I must have missed that. That makes the "one ectobiology session for each universe" theory more live.

There's a whole thing where Doc Scratch explains lengthily that they didn't, that the ancestors Karkat created became both the post-scratch ancestors and the pre-scratch heroes, and that the absence of an ectobiology session is Lord English's calling card or signature. Like four people posted that already!

e: actually it's not really clear whether the grubs Karkat wrangled crossed session boundaries, or whether the original heroes were just paradoxically doomed due to having no point of origin. Either way!

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 13, 2011

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The ads flash to read "obey", "consume", "submit", "cease reproduction", and "stay asleep". Interesting!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Okay, the subliminal messages are "Obey", "Consume", Submit", "Cease Reproduction", and "Stay Asleep".

That's just... really peachy.

Isn't that interesting how we ordered them the same? I guess in order of "oh shi-", thinking on it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

Favourite thing about this set of updates is that Jane and Jake still talk in olde timey fifties era phrases and poo poo. Like cockamamie and egads and suchlike. Perfect.

I am going to, in my brain, extrapolate thus: that slang has progressed differently in post-scratch: Old people in this universe use out of date terms like "bitchin" and "awesome" and "that be tight dawg", whereas phrases like "horsefeathers" and "by jove" are the newest most hipest of shits.

Well, it would seem grammar has been subtly altered (Jane's correction is actually wrong, Jake's initial statement is correct), so this actually doesn't seem too out there!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Loving this act so far. I'm terribly curious when the old cast will come barging in, but in the meantime these guys and their increasingly horrific world are very interesting to watch! Hoping for plenty more :words:.

It is... not terribly likely that our John and Jade would have grown old and died offscreen between acts, apparently achieving nothing. So I think we can be pretty sure that this reset timeline includes reset versions of the kids playing the guardian roles.

One thing that still isn't clear is how Jake ended up working with Jade across timelines in the first place. Who initiated that?

Either he's a Prospit (or I guess Derse would theoretically also work) dreamer and is doing the same thing Jade did with her package, or the sinister hand of English stirs the pot. My guess!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

YggiDee posted:

No, Jane is correct in this case: "A joint gift from me" as opposed to "A joint gift from I."

Oh, yeah, doy. Disregard!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Fortis posted:

It seems likely that Jake is being played for what I'd describe as a sucker.

Sending the bunny is like, the catalyst to loving everything up, so it seems like in terms of LE's long game, getting him to do this might well be part of the plan.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

of bees posted:

I'm thinking the theory about the "the characteristic glitch" being the ecto-biology thing is wrong. I think it's something more broad, like the idea someone else was bouncing around, where the glitch is actually that something exists in the pre-scratch world that couldn't exist without the post-scratch world. For the trolls, that was the ancestors being created in the post-scratch world. For the kids, it could be Cal's journey.

Well, it's explicitly not the glitch itself, but Scratch calls it LE's calling card. It's more like a signature imposed after his handiwork, we don't actually know what the glitch that marks the session for predation is yet.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

In my (lowly) opinion you can't be much of a Homestuck fan if you've never read Problem Sleuth. You can't get all the jokes or running gags in Homestuck, since there are so many callbacks. Plus the whole of act one made way more sense and was funny if you just came out of reading Problem Sleuth.

Also it is funny and awesome and worth a read.

Problem Sleuth is sort of a massive slog though what with it having very simple art, no dialogue, and no animations. It's quite good but it's looooong and it absolutely delights in the old switch-a-roo/frustrated expectations gag traditional to MSPA in a way that is less cute than tiresome (dat final boss). It has this massive framework of things happening simultaneously in a way you're supposed to keep track of, but it's almost completely absent characterisation and though it's padded out immensely the plot is paper thin - which means you sort of don't care about all the things happening on a level other than "isn't it silly that all these ridiculous things are happening". It's hard to bother to keep up with the unapologetic complexity of it for the sake of that!

I read it after I got into Homestuck, and while I don't regret it I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone else. It's fine but despite being way shorter than Homestuck, it feels way longer, and not in a good way. What in-jokes are you missing anyway, really? Certainly none that will actually mar your appreciation of the comic. Besides, most of the PS in-jokes are repeated enough within Homestuck that they become in-jokes independent of Problem Sleuth.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 15, 2011

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I didn't mean to harsh so much on PS, by the way, it has its problems but it's by no means bad. It's just that going from Homestuck to PS feels to me like going from Final Fantasy 6 to plain old Final Fantasy: everything is uglier and less exciting, and none of the characters speak anymore. In many ways it feels like (and Hussie himself describes it as) an earlier iteration of the experimental project being carried out in Homestuck, and accordingly it seems to me that most of the flaws are magnified and a lot of the cool stuff is still in protoplasmic form.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Kidmom is the hero of Void? That's an interesting one.

Also, I don't know why, but UU feels especially hard to read for me.

By the way, to make this even more impregnable to casual readers, I propose that we call him You.

Her. Unless Jane is wrong about that too I guess? But it doesn't seem terribly likely.

e: also note that the troll associated with the caduceus is very helpful and talks about healing and stuff. Shallow observation but worthwhile, and of course a stark contrast to Karkat's similar log with John and his association with cancer!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I am pumped, actually. There is a whole bunch of new stuff going on that has just been implied by this character and that still hovers on the hazy edge of possibility where it just really might be anything. Which is a cool feeling!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Okay, so usually I'm pretty good at understanding this comic's weird time and plot poo poo but I have to admit, the 8-player session thing has somehow completely slipped by me. Could somebody break that down a bit? I mean, I can remember the supposed 'squiddle' session that made Alternia, and the session that happened pre-Troll ancestors that was basically doomed from the start, but can't recall where the 8-player one fits in. Or even where it was referred to previously. Was this brought up in a formspring question or actually in-story? Or is it more of a fan-theory type of deal?

I apologize in advance if this is something that's actually really obvious, it's just that this new pesterlog comes up and between the U/possible Ophiucus quirk and Karkat callback parallels I suddenly don't know what the gently caress. :psyduck:

Way back (this is obscure) when Rose was in the SkaiaNet labs there was a diagram of an eight planet session on one of the terminals she looked at. The same diagram recently reappeared in one of Doc Scratch's scrapbook collages. Evidence has been mounting up lately that the four guardian-kids will be joined in their incipisphere by the four original kids along with their planets and battlefield (toted by Jade), making a new, eight player session.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

YF-23 posted:

Here is the page with the 8-player session. e:f;b

Anyway I don't think UU is from the trolls' pre-Scratch universe since she has her own sign and everything. Also, where does everyone get KidMom being the hero of void from? I completely missed anything about that when reading the log.

UU mentions frustrating dark spots in her vision when trying to view Kid Mom, which is similar to incidences prior to this of Equius and Darkleer (the previous Heroes of Void) blocking Doc Scratch's sight of his cueballs.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

FewtureMD posted:

UU has difficulty viewing kidMom through the viewport, and an inability to be remotely viewed is an inherent aspect of a Void hero. Mindfang stashed her cueball with Darkleer because he couldn't be viewed by Doc Scratch, for example.

edit: f,b 3x combo

Well, let's not be so hasty - Aradia could view Equius just fine as his server player, so it's possible it's specifically First Guardian/Green Sun-powered omniscience that Void heroes aVoid, or other special types - or maybe just sinister types that mean them ill. UU could be something we don't expect!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Jane is... actually typing reasonably. Have we seen that before?

Her quirk is more subtle - she just has some old-fashioned affectations, and of course does the weird Nanna laugh and the buckteeth smiley. It's pretty reasonable on the whole though yeah, but then so are all of the original kids'.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

marsattacks posted:

So maybe this says more about me than it does about the pesterlog, but that whole conversation seemed a little more sinister and untruthful than anyone else seems to think. I don't know why, it's just all together too cheery, like everything has been post!scratch so far. I'm just not ready to label UU as a positive trustworthy source of information quite yet.

Karkat's Brain + L'il Cal + Cueball + WOOF code = UU. Calling it (not really).

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

I think Factory Factory was referring to her typing animation. That said, I'm pretty sure all the kids but John type reasonably, but it's been so long since we've seen them type.

Oh yeah! Haha, I actually thought she typed in a weird noodly sort of way, but I suppose it is more regular than the usual animation, now that I think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Level Slide posted:

Say, outside of the one time he dropped a bucket on Rose, has John ever engaged in any tricks? I think Jane is going to be really disappointed when 13-year-old Poppop proves to be no match for her old school japes.

He pranked the hell out of Kanaya with his subtle japery. He also pranks Karkat a bunch with time shenanigans in their earlier chatlogs. He also tricks Vriska into telling him her name!