Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Oh yaaaay it's a Homestuck thread again :neckbeard:

I'm really curious to see what the Denizen Choice stuff is going to be about. I mean, we had John and Dave both talking about it in addition to Jade's deal to find the Genesis Frog. Basically I guess I'm saying I'm looking forward to actually seeing the denizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

A good poster posted:

Does point one mean this will be an interactive flash? I imagine that making sure a regular flash animation plays right would not require multiple days of debugging. Could he mean there are problems in the current version of Flash that are causing problems?

As for the second point, he's used Newgrounds to redirect traffic that would have killed his own server. Does Newgrounds have an upper limit in file size that this file would exceed?

I could see it as a partially interactive flash sort of like how you have to press a button during the Terezi vs. Vriska scratched flash, or during Return to the Core where part of it is interactive and part of it is animated.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

ChaosTheory posted:

is there a synopsis of all the crap that happened after you first see the grey zodiac people, because that's where I stopped. I couldn't handle the addition of 15 new characters all at once, and everyone's chat messages and whatnot.

There's some summary of it in the MSPA archives but what it comes down to:

The zodiac people are trolls, an alien race from another session of Sburb (Sgrub). When they played they rushed through the game and unconsciously hosed everything up through not playing it right -- powergaming and cheating at it instead of maturing as Sburb intends its players to. This is the point of Act 5.1, you can probably skip to the beginning of 5.2 and lose little except knowledge of the individual trolls, most of which are extraneous characters that don't do much.

There's a Firefox addon somewhere to remove the weird chat quirks and make trolltext into normal text, which might help get through it if you need to. Really, I'd advocate just reading synopses of which troll is which and picking the story back up at 5.2. The trolls are still around but that's when stuff with the kids starts moving again and all you really need to know about 5.1 is it established that the trolls played the game and created a new universe (the human universe), but couldn't claim the reward because an angry demon appeared and blew said reward up.

You can come back to 5.1 later, it might be easier to read then. A lot of people have said that they found 5.1 more tolerable after reading 5.2.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

FutureSushi posted:

100%! Just needs to sort out flash debugging :3

Also the fervour on Tumblr has reached the point where my friend posted a "leak" of the music team's work for the EOA5 music that actually just "rear end 'N Titties" mashed up with Sburban Jungle and it got a whole mess of people reblogging it like "I DON'T WANT TO SPOIL BUT HERE EVERYONE" and a lot of really angry posts about disrespecting the music team by posting their work and it was great.

I know Radiation did a mashup thing with some anime song while the hiatus was on, and got a question or two like "IS THIS THE EOA5 FLASH MUSIC" and his response was "what in the gently caress possibly gave you that idea, jesus."

I'm going to have to go look for the mashup you're talking about now. Homestuck fans in their native habitat are pretty hilarious to watch :allears:

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

tinaun posted:

I don't think I'll be able to get a wink of sleep until this update is posted. :v:

Do we have any idea what the exiles are planning? Why are they blowing everything up?

They might be doing it to stop Sburb from "reseeding" the world, which destines it for destruction all over again as soon as the world is restored enough to tolerate it.

Of course, this is iffy since the universe is already on the brink of cancer death/Bec Noir murder.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Also I bet the flash is going to be named [S]cratch or at least [S] John: Scratch.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Haschel Cedricson posted:

From Twitter:

Welp I've found my method of watching.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

The entirety of the internet is going to be very angry at Andrew Hussie come morning.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Wow. Okay, that was definitely putting up with a hellishly sluggish download rate. What in the motherfuck did I just watch.

I think the thing I'm most enthusiastic about is actually PM vs. Jack, holy gently caress. I'm pretty sad about the other exiles all getting murdered but PM is going to give him hell for it, go PM.

Also, haha, holy gently caress, Dave has spats in his godtier outfit. We had a conversation about this exact thing somewhere in the last thread and how mad it made people.

Jade's godtier outfit is the best, though, I love how the hood has stars on it. And how she has striped witch socks.

There may have been a tear or two.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm still trying to process what I saw. Mother of Christ. :psyduck:

ACTUAL SPOILERS:Jade is the best ever and her literally breaking through the fourth wall was incredible. I cannot WAIT for Act 6 to start up, also Godtier Jade looks absolutely amazing, also mother of love it's too bad Kanaya never went Godtier because GT-level Space powers seem to be absolutely hax.

Also how in the hell did Rose and Dave go Godtier? They were out of lives. The Jade thing makes sense because even when it began to dawn on me where Jack was taking her I was all "oh my god, she resurrected her dreamself by accident :aaa:", but with the Derseites it just seems to break all the established rules.

Standard rules don't seem to apply to the in-Derse-core questbeds. Aradia's dreamself dying there ressurected her real self in the troll session, and there's no indication that's something that can really happen on a standard quest bed.

Hussie explained a while ago that there's no real merger of selves which is why the corpses are still left behind when the transformation is complete, too, so that probably has something to do with it.

EDIT: Whoa, so does this mean the horrorterrors have been benevolent all along after all?

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 25, 2011

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Haha, I just caught one of the movie references on a second go. Jade's godtier outfit has ruby slippers :3:

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

haruspex posted:

It kind of looks like there are two Solluxes? The half-dead one that's chillaxing at the Green Sun with Aradia, and the one on the meteor, who's bleeding out as he thionicth the trolls towards the green sun. Or at least that was my interpretation. It's also possible that he's only half-dead by the time he gets to the green sun?

I think Sollux is in the process of killing himself to get the trolls to the Sun, much as his ancestor killed himself trying to get the Empress across the universe and back to Alternia. We're seeing one dead/dream self and one live self because he's in the process of dying and has a foot on both sides (duality, hurf). Aradia's earlier reference to his corpse means that he will have exhausted his strength and died by the time the troll meteor arrives.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

FutureSushi posted:

Uh so real question here Is Aradia evil because she seems awful happy considering everyone else thought they were nerfing that sun???? She does seem to be set up to be a lower-tier villain here, I just wonder when the heck Scratch got to her. Or perhaps it was just all the whisperings of the Handmaid influencing her over time

I'd rather it not be that way but it's sure looking like it :worry:

I think that Aradia knew this was coming, she's always been about fate and poo poo, but she knew that it had to happen because the Green Sun is Already Here (as is Lord English). The only way to fight LE is not to try and prevent his origin -- that's impossible. It's to fight him after he's already appeared.

He's been summoned, now she's ready to help the other kids and trolls take him down.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Hjalmar posted:

Hate to burst your bubble, but they'll probably just burst her bubble. Death and rebirth are being handed out like cheap cigars these days. Case in point: This update saw no less than 9 deaths and no more than 3 rebirths. Plus two entire universes kind of exploded. There isn't much that is impossible in Homestuck.

But thinking about it from more of a narrative perspective, I am fairly certain the trolls that are already dead will stay that way. It doesn't make much sense to bring back, say, Equius or Nepeta for any reason other than to sell a couple more god tier hoodies. And that would be silly.

Plus, let's be honest, Hussie is probably relieved he doesn't have to deal with "BUT WHAT ARE NEPETA AND EQUIUS, THE TWO MOST EXTRANEOUS CHARACTERS IN ALL HOMESTUCK, DOING RIGHT THIS MINUTE?" anymore. I know I would be. That would be more than enough reason to keep them dead if I was in his shoes.

(Nepeta memorial avatar crew 2011)

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

yellowyams posted:

This post was the best thing to come out of this night. Happy 10/25 everyone. :')

So what am I forgetting here, how is everyone supposed to meet up if Jade and John went through the fourth wall while everyone else is at the green sun?

Remember that panel of Hussie setting up two fourth walls facing each other a yard apart? Presumably, they smashed through one fourth wall and into another. Whatever the second fourth wall is "looking at" is probably where they are now.

I didn't think the whole thing with "rewinding" through MSPA pages was indicating that they're literally going to end up "in the site" or anything, just indicating that the world was being reset accordingly with the scratch.

Hjalmar posted:

There must be some time fuckery involved then. We saw Jack jump into the meteor immediately after putting Jade on her death bed, in which he brooded in a flower until eventually being released and unleashing hell on a the future wanderers. Either he hadn't quite got around to stabbing trolls yet, or there's some mechanic to the flowers I'm not understanding.

Jack's timeline is something like this:

-Witnesses Jade die, kills CD. Picks Jade's dying body up and carries it to her Quest Bed.
-Enters meteor temple, enters flower.
-Emerges, kills exiles, uses device that was always powered down before to port himself to the troll session.
-Wreaks havoc on the trolls and their Prospit and Derse.
-Uses Red Miles on the frog, leading to its gradual death.
-Sees the birth of the Green Sun, starts to turn toward it but is distracted by PM's appearance.

Pretty straightforward timeline. Remember that the mediums are in a timeless expanse removed from the other universes, so what happens in them doesn't make any difference to Jack!

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 25, 2011

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

^^ You know very well I meant the MSPA Forums strain of rabidity!

Starmaker posted:

The next page will be "Enter Name"

13-year-old Dad :3: 13-year-old Mom!! :3:

I wouldn't be surprised to see this but I think it would make Hussie's rabid fans so angry. (Which means it could definitely happen.)

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 25, 2011

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Walliard posted:

It uses the track title metadata (with special cases for Frost and Light), so it should work if that was preserved between conversions.

Also, Heart and Mind hoodies are available now.

Dear christ, the Heart hoodie is in my favorite color! I don't even like Nepeta that much!

I am pretty curious to see what Hope/Rage are going to be. I hope Life is a white hoodie, I always liked the imagining of it as white with a silver/gold symbol.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah I really don't get the "Aradia/Dave/Rose are LE's pawns now" chat, it seems like just another iteration of "Rose is turning evil/Rose is the cancer in the kids' session"/etc. People are always quick to call "okay now one of the kids/trolls is a badguy!" and it's almost never true (the exceptions being Gamzee and Eridan).

Also I totally called that the critical moment was the end of both universes, even if I didn't realize it would also spawn the Green Sun. Who could have guessed that? (Nice RGB joke there, though, Andrew.)

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

No I'm thinking something probably from FF6 or FF4. I'll have to dick around in the sound track.

The backing samples remind me a lot of the FF4 overworld music, and there's a lot of similar inspirations -- I feel like there's a bit in it taken from FF4 music like the love theme and maybe Troia's background music, but I don't feel like anything is directly ripped off so much as just inspired.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Cracky posted:

Twelve?
I TOLD YOU DOG I TOLD YOU ABOUT GOD TIERS

There are twelve god tier designs because there are 12 trolls. All the kids share a power with one of the trolls. He doesn't mean there will be 12 god tier characters.

EDIT: Though I'm really excited to see all of the designs.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I swear this flash gets better every time I watch it. The best part of the whole thing is right before the Green Sun explosion, where there's all the heavy chimes and quick flashes between scenes.

Man what in the hell even happens now.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Vateke posted:

That reminds me. Why didn't the Trolls get Quest Recuperacoons?

They did, Vriska went godtier in one. The Derse/Prospit ones are just slabs.

See, it's shaped like a beehive.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

^^ It's not that one or the other "becomes" god tier, it's that a new "self" is born on the battlefield. If there's a dreamself it seems to be absorbed in this. John's dreamself was already on the battlefield, so it didn't need to disappear.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Oddly enough, though, there was only one quest bed visible at the center of troll Derse's moon, whereas the human Derse moon had both Derse players' beds side by side. This kind of gives Aradia/Dave/Rose the vague feeling of having been marked for something special, which I think contributes to the turncoat theory. I don't think there's any particular reason to suspect anyone is evil other than the fact that a showdown would be cool (especially if it is a rap showdown. Gamzee vs. Dave for the fate of the universe.)

The page would show Gamzee and Dave facing off, having a Showdown of epic proportions, the other kids and trolls in the background. The narration would talk about how it had all come down to this and the universe depended on sick rhymes.

There would be no illustration for the next page, just the narration "You both then proceeded to have one of the best rap-offs in the history of paradox space."

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Starmaker posted:

The thing about LE is that he was never in the kid's universe, and it wasn't his fault Jack was created or that their session had a tumor. :words:

You know, the thing is, I think Lord English might have originally "marked" their universe as one of his chosen ones, but thanks to the efforts of one John (not the alpha one), he got beaten at his own game.

EB: if i didn't make the decision to go, then dave would not be able to go back in time and fix things.
EB: in fact, if i didn't die here in this palace, we never would have been born in the first place!

That could just mean beta John's deal with his Denizen was to allow the alpha timeline to happen, but I don't know, something about the "never would have been born" interests me. Considering that the glitch in the original troll session was that they never ectobiology-cloned themselves and that's Lord English's calling card.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Oh boy, is it time for a repeat of every Vriskachat we've ever had? I'll get the popcorn if you bring the soda :allears:

I'm kind of banking on Vriska staying dead but nothing would surprise me at this point.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Nilbop posted:

I've no idea what Vriskachat is because I've stayed clear of this thread until recently, but I can see where this is going so I'll keep schtum.

All you really need to know is that when Hivebent was in its prime and Vriska kept doing crazy things, people would get into pages-long arguments about whether she was a good or bad character anytime she was onscreen (and often when she wasn't).

I don't check the MSPA forums because :gonk: but I'm pretty sure they still do this religiously. Almost as a form of entertainment.

EDIT: Yeah I don't think WV is down for good either, though I can't imagine what's going to happen to revive him.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 30, 2011

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

RULES: A character, a conversation, a plot device, a one-off joke, the way a recurring gag mutated, whatever. This could be anything. If Homestuck never updated again, what is the bit about it you'll remember most strongly most fondly, and why?

HARD MODE RULES: You can't pick an [S] page!

See I'd do this, but my answer would be "Vriska and her character arc and development" and look where that would get us. Just look!

(I think besides that I am always going to vividly remember the heavy chimes part of Cascade where the panel progression is really fast, just before the Tumor blows up.)

It really took me a while to get into Homestuck though, so I think I'll always remember WV: Ascend really clearly since that was when I actually started giving a fig about the story. Rose: Enter, too. Vriska is definitely my favorite thing overall, though, specifically her talk with John just after she killed Tavros about how she was trying so hard to be a "good troll."

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

^^ No, Gamzee was talking to Doc Scratch, who was calling them suckers because they played right into his plans and caused the Green Sun to spawn.

Esme posted:

Easy mode: [S] WV: Ascend. Reading it the first time, that was the point where I realized I was in for something really unique. This makes my all time least favorite moment the felt intermission, since the beginning of that was where I caught up with the archives and had to wait for updates. And I just don't understand why everyone likes those guys so much :saddowns:.

Hard mode: Karkat: Troll this worthless human. Everything about it is wonderful, and makes all the troll romance bullshit worth it.

I caught up with Homestuck near the end of the intermission since a friend had been hounding me to read it, and I couldn't loving stand it. The Felt, the Midnight Crew, I just wanted the kids back. :saddowns:

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

A good poster posted:

Now that all the characters are in groups, we may finally get conversations of people actually talking to each other without using Pesterchum or Trollian, without sprites being involved, and outside of flash animations. That doesn't sound special, but the comic's always avoided it before.

I'm pretty sure it'll be presented as pesterlogs anyway considering how Davesprite and Jadesprite's conversation on the battlefield was presented! (Or Beta John and Vriska. Or others!)

EDIT: Haha I just went to listen to some stuff from Volume 7 again and the shadow of Derse on the cover has a red and blue glow coming from either side of it.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 30, 2011

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Ice_Mallet posted:

Wasn't Dream Cal able to move by himself? Is that a property of Derse/Dave's fear or can Cal actually do that wherever? Just a part that confused me.

Dream Cal could move by himself (and possibly talk, Dave mentions him talking in his dreams) but lost those properties when he became a part of the "real world" because in it, puppets can't move or talk without human assistance.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

Wait. Have we seen that clock before? Because I think we have, and that's amazing.

Haha, that thing in the little window near the middle is an 8 ball. I get it.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

JT Jag posted:

I'm finally making an archive trawl after delaying it for so long and a lot of the memories are coming back now.

Remember back when a lot of people complained about (half) an entire act dedicated to the trolls? I think we can all say the payoff was well worth it.

Remember the good old days when everyone complained that Hussie had promised it'd only take three months? Remember back when people said they were sick of seeing so many Jade updates and she was hogging screentime? I do :allears:

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Walliard posted:

I think this is referring to back in Acts 3/4 when Jade knew everything and could do no wrong.

Yes, everyone really liked to complain about Jade back then. I always liked Jade though <:mad:>

Eiba posted:

The thing about Lord English looking brutish is that, to me at least, it implies he's more a direct action kind of villain than a thinking, scheming villain.

That's okay in general, but... this story already has an omnipotent godlike brutal killing machine character- Bec Noir.

I mean, as far as going around just killing everyone all unstoppable-like, we've got that covered. So what exactly is Lord English going to do?

Well, I'm sure it'll be something pretty interesting, and undoubtedly involve lots of time shenanigans. In fact, there may be so many time shenanigans that he's already carried out his plan from our perspective.

Also, regarding this, I think the point isn't that they're supposed to contrast. In fact, I'm pretty sure they're supposed to run in parallel. Every time Vriska reminded John that Jack was already here, it was a (probably intentional) parallel of the facts about Lord English. Jack destroyed two universes, which is also what Lord English does, though he less "destroys" and more "devours." Jack is supposed to be a small-scale demonstration of what to expect from Lord English.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Hey I have a question unconnected to Lord English stuff:

Was the horse painting always on this page? I could have sworn it wasn't ... :raise:

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Honestly, I didn't have much trouble deciphering he Troll pesterlogs at first and now I can read them like they're a second language. Are people really having that much trouble with them? It doesn't seem particularly hard to pick up to me.

Maybe it has to do with how certain people's brains work.

I wasn't having much trouble and then Feferi happened.

Now I don't have much trouble reading her stuff (how little she's talked in a long, long time helps), but at the time I was like "really? This is what we're going for? How is that even readable?"

Most of the others didn't give me much trouble, though.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Wait, can somebody tell me how many levels of irony we're working under here to discuss motherfucking Homestuck being taught as a college course. Do I need to go get some pointy anime shades. Should I be pontificating on the finer points of puppet dong.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Jesus seriously let's all stroke off about how important this webcomic is to the new western canon what the gently caress.

Yeah seriously guys I like Homestuck as much as anybody but this is getting loving ridiculous.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Anybody who doesn't think Shakespeare is comedic hasn't been reading his plays right. Pretty much every scene with peasant characters being idiots at each other was written specifically for the penny audience on the floor.

Nobody is saying "how DARE you compare comedy to something SERIOUS like these famous dead writers!" They're saying "don't you think it's a little loving absurd to compare a guy who writes a webcomic about trolls with candy corn horns to people widely acknowledged as the best writers of history?" It has nothing to do with comedy. It has to do with the fact that Andrew Hussie is writing a funny and entertaining (but very rough!) piece of web media and getting it into your head that he's totally comparable and influential to Western writing in general is loving stupid.

Pratchett is way funnier than Homestuck and he's considered one of the current fantasy (and even general) greats of the industry -- so, see, it's not about comedy vs. seriousness. Tolkien is a better worldbuilder than Hussie because he took literal years to plan that poo poo out before he wrote it. And I don't know anything about Alan Moore so I can't comment on that one.

But come on, really? It's loving Homestuck. We enjoy it but it's Homestuck. Let's not get on a goddamned high horse about how we're so intelligent because Hussie is a grandmaster. He's not and he slips up a lot and makes a lot of mistakes. That doesn't mean his poo poo isn't enjoyable, just that making it out as the next classic is dumb.

EDIT: Like seriously I don't think even ASOIAF fans get on about how GRRM is "just like Shakespeare" or anything and they're almost as insufferable as Homestuck fans. Being one of both, I would know.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 7, 2011

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I'm still personally buying into "Aradia was used by Scratch/Lord English up until the critical moment, but now that he's summoned she's free to do whatever the gently caress she wants and 'what she wants' is to kick his monstrous particolored rear end."

Really don't buy Dave and Rose being servants of Lord English, either. All of it just really reminds me of "Rose is turning evil!!! :aaa:" Hey remember that big log between Rose and John that was basically like "no, you fuckwits, she's really not"? I'm basically expecting to see one of those for the "servants of Lord English" thing.

(I figured "including this one" meant more of her ghost-robot self considering the statement also applies to her other iterations, none of whom went godtier.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

Speaking of large memos I recently reread http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005261 and realized future Gamzee was being totally sincere because he was already moirailed but it still scared the poo poo out out of Karkat because of the typing gimmick.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was just before Gamzee killed Nepeta and Equius so Karkat had every reason to still be flipping his poo poo.